Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recording question

If I make a 0db recording in aum via neon.

The output goes to Drambo.

Which is about -14db.

Is the Neon when transfered to other ipad.

0db with 14db to gain?

Do you switch to post fader in aum for Neon to be using output of -14db? So its a -14db recording.

but I assume with original audio you wouldnt want to record at -14db. Maybe -3 or -4 db.

Would a -14db recording have less dynamics than a -3 -4 or 0db?

Should I just re sort volumes when its time to mix. Even if most tracks are midi

Rather than set around -14 db to begin?

Comments

• There would only be some audio tracks. The rest midi.

I guess whilst making tune its best to have level near 0db for the sake of audio recordings.

If it needs to be near 0db for dynamics. Dynamics is just a guess.

Then re-sort levels for export of song to youtube etc.

• Check your track levels in Drambo as they are conservatively set to avoid blowing peoples ears off...

In the default template (New -> 8 Tracks (Midi to CV)) the Master OUT is set to -6db and the individual tracks feeding the Mater track to -10.5db.

• Aiming for for 0db in the recording stage gives gives you nothing more than an easy risk of clipping the recording...

• Don’t get too concerned with trying to get things to be at -14db for YouTube and streaming services until you are at the mixing and mastering stage. Also, you don’t want to be pushing for 0db. It’s best to give yourself a little room to wriggle. You can always turn a part up later in the mixing stage or rebalance the mix as needed.

• @Mountain_Hamlet said:
    Don’t get too concerned with trying to get things to be at -14db for YouTube and streaming services until you are at the mixing and mastering stage. Also, you don’t want to be pushing for 0db. It’s best to give yourself a little room to wriggle. You can always turn a part up later in the mixing stage or rebalance the mix as needed.

Cheers.

Will sort levels when mixing then..

• @Samu said:
    Aiming for for 0db in the recording stage gives gives you nothing more than an easy risk of clipping the recording...

Is there dynamic loss in recording near 0db vs -10db?

If you record at -3db.

Even though youtube is -14db.

Will a song ever be over 0db?

So samples recorded -3db.

Will always be dialled back but never over 0db as a song anyway?

Unless it dosent work this way.

• @sigma79 said:

@Samu said:
    Aiming for for 0db in the recording stage gives gives you nothing more than an easy risk of clipping the recording...

Not really considering that when using 24-bit recording you have a theoretical dynamic range of 144db which covers almost everything. Most audio interfaces have high-enough dynamic range and even recommend not pushing to 0db and leave some headroom to avoid crippling while recording...

Unless the audio interface is extremely noise (very few are nowadays) there's no problems to bring up the levels in post...
    ...but if the source has 'clipped' there's no other sensible than to re-record. So it's better to be safe than sorry...

I seldom peak past -9dbFS when recording and often stay lower to avoid accidental peaks that can clip the recording.

It's better to turn up the speaker volume than push the gain to clip...

• @Samu said:

@sigma79 said:

@Samu said:

Not really considering that when using 24-bit recording you have a theoretical dynamic range of 144db which covers almost everything. Most audio interfaces have high-enough dynamic range and even recommend not pushing to 0db and leave some headroom to avoid crippling while recording...

Unless the audio interface is extremely noise (very few are nowadays) there's no problems to bring up the levels in post...
    ...but if the source has 'clipped' there's no other sensible than to re-record. So it's better to be safe than sorry...

I seldom peak past -9dbFS when recording and often stay lower to avoid accidental peaks that can clip the recording.

It's better to turn up the speaker volume than push the gain to clip...

Cheers Samu.

Will record about -10db.

IAA etc sent to Drambo.

• @sigma79 said:

Will record about -10db.

IAA etc sent to Drambo.

If you do 'digital only' and use limiters in the signal chain you can push it harder...
    ...for IAA apps I would use 'export' when possible but that depends on what IAA app it is.

The headroom is mostly needed for analog signals that can be quite unpredictable.

• edited June 2023

@Samu said:

@sigma79 said:

Will record about -10db.

IAA etc sent to Drambo.

If you do 'digital only' and use limiters in the signal chain you can push it harder...
    ...for IAA apps I would use 'export' when possible but that depends on what IAA app it is.

The headroom is mostly needed for analog signals that can be quite unpredictable.

Cheers Samu.

Its actually mainly AU and then IAA.

Just see aum as the IAA source.

but is for apps that are better in aum, than Drambo.

• edited March 20

Does anyone here know how to know the exact db output level on the master track in Drambo? . I want to make sure it’s under 0 db. I saw somewhere here write something about having an oscilloscope on the master, but I can’t find how to make it show. Any ideas..

Edit: I just noticed it shows the value under the knob. ;)