Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Big Stuff Harmonic Distortion by Nembrini Audio (Released)

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/big-stuff-harmonic-distortion/id6449679430

NEW FREE RELEASE
Big Stuff finest harmonic distortion-sustain plugin

Nembrini Audio Big Stuff is modeled on a Electro Harmonix Big Muff

The Big Stuff will give you a sweet violin-like sustaining sound. It's the same legendary created by Jimi Hendrix.

Works as a standalone app, AudioUnit v3 effect, or Inter-App Audio effect

Comments

• It’s FREE?!?! Damn, thanks @NembriniAudio!

• Thank you Nembrini..

• edited June 2023

My favourite distortion (well, strictly it's fuzz) pedal of all time. I was literally talking about it two minutes ago in the SOTMC thread. I've never heard a really decent digital emulation of it though, so I'll definitely check this out to see if it gets anywhere close.

The Chow Pedal version is OK, not quite as growly as the real thing, so I'd like to compare it to that, and to the real one I have on my pedal board.

• edited June 2023

I just gave it a five-minute test drive (I should really be working). It's OK, probably the best emulation I've tried so far. It's very very fuzzy, but maybe a touch too fizzy in the highs, I had to push the tone dial to the left a little to get it to sound more like my Big Muff.

Also for rhythm playing the -15db switch helped to clean some of that high-end fizz up. You want fuzz, not fizz, if that makes sense.

I don't think it's quite a match for the real pedal, but still better than the other emulations on first impressions. It's definitely better than the one in Tonex, which is laughably bad.

• @richardyot : just confirming: you like it better than the BYOD version?

• @espiegel123 said:
    @richardyot : just confirming: you like it better than the BYOD version?

I think so, it's closer to a real fuzz based on my quick test. I'll spend some more time with it tomorrow and do a more in-depth test.

The BYOD one is closer in tone (it's quite a bit warmer, like the real pedal is) but it doesn't have as much fuzz as the Nembrini.

• @richardyot said:

@espiegel123 said:

I think so, it's closer to a real fuzz based on my quick test. I'll spend some more time with it tomorrow and do a more in-depth test.

The BYOD one is closer in tone (it's quite a bit warmer, like the real pedal is) but it doesn't have as much fuzz as the Nembrini.

Does putting a clean boost in front of the fuzz in BYOD give you more fuzz?

• @espiegel123 said:

@richardyot said:

@espiegel123 said:

I don't know, I can try tomorrow when I get the chance :)

• @richardyot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@richardyot said:

@espiegel123 said:

I don't know, I can try tomorrow when I get the chance :)

I don’t know if it will make a difference, but I have generally found that the better amp and pedal simulations often have very different behavior at different signal levels…and can have very different optimal input level ranges.

• Damn, it's free ! Still playing a lot their klon centaur and Rat emulations. Can't wait to try this one !

• Oh nice! I love Nembrini’s effects so this is cool. Excited to try it out.

• @HotStrange said:
    Oh nice! I love Nembrini’s effects so this is cool. Excited to try it out.

Free for desktop too. https://www.nembriniaudio.com/pages/nembrini-audio-central

• Thank you Nembrini!

• @NeuM said:

@HotStrange said:

Free for desktop too. https://www.nembriniaudio.com/pages/nembrini-audio-central

Unfortunately don’t have a desktop but that’s nice to know considering how vast price difference can be between desktop and iOS.

• @HotStrange said:

@NeuM said:

@HotStrange said:

Unfortunately don’t have a desktop but that’s nice to know considering how vast price difference can be between desktop and iOS.

And it's not something I'll use anyway because of iLok, but for those who want it, it's there.

• edited June 2023

@NeuM said:

And it's not something I'll use anyway because of iLok, but for those who want it, it's there.

None of the Nembrini free apps use iLok which is NOT the devil that some people think it is. I have had NO issues with iLok at all.

• I agree. iLok is fine these days. I’ve had no issues at all after years of using it.

iLok trouble, tone wood, burning in speakers and headphones - all just myths imo

• Here is my video demo for the Nembrini Big Stuff, most excellent and FREE, good job.

I hope you enjoy the video😊👍

• Here's a quick comparison between the real pedal, the Nembrini app, and CHOW DSP. All dials set to noon.

The Nembrini has the right amount of fuzz, but also is a bit brighter and fizzier than the pedal, and loses a little definition. Chow DSP is closer in tone, but not fuzzy enough (I set the harmonics to their maximum value, and also tried a clean gain before the pedal but that didn't help, it just doesn't have as much fuzz as the real pedal).

• @richardyot great comparison. That real Muff sounds the most enormous. I played some with the Nembrini earlier and really like it, as I have all of their distortion/OD pedals. Plus, all of the Nembrini apps look and function very well in Logic, even the preset browser.

• Will it Smash a Pumpkin?

• This is a really great freebie. Sounds awesome. I’ve never owned a Big Muff but played one plenty of times and it’s not super far off from the real thing. I don’t see them mentioned as much as some other but I really think Nembrini is great. Their LoFi plugin and their delays are all really really good.

• @eylvy said:
    Will it Smash a Pumpkin?

Nicely played. The tone is definitely brighter than the reference track, maybe some EQ could fix that fizzy edge.

• @yowza said:

@NeuM said:

None of the Nembrini free apps use iLok which is NOT the devil that some people think it is. I have had NO issues with iLok at all.

Looks to me like iLok has to be installed and an account created even for the free stuff.

I think I'll pass. If I'm gonna record guitar I'll do it on the iPad anyway. I don't think I'd pass on something I really want because of iLok, but see no need to deal with it otherwise. Yes - partly due to lingering bad taste in my mouth from ages ago.

• @wim said:
    I think I'll pass. If I'm gonna record guitar I'll do it on the iPad anyway. I don't think I'd pass on something I really want because of iLok, but see no need to deal with it otherwise. Yes - partly due to lingering bad taste in my mouth from ages ago.

You do have to create an account at Nembrini to download (which almost every developer requires nowadays) but their free apps don’t show up anywhere in iLok so I’m not sure what you’re talking about unless Nembrini requires an iLok license just to download it from their site. I don’t recall that being the case. Nembrini shows no copy protection in plain site on the Big Stuff page which is an odd to display if that weren’t really the case. I find the phobia regarding iLok rather amusing but you do what you gotta do.

• It needs a mix knob, blame logic for that

• @richardyot said:

@eylvy said:
    Will it Smash a Pumpkin?

Nicely played. The tone is definitely brighter than the reference track, maybe some EQ could fix that fizzy edge.

I tried the "Siamese Dream" setting (Volume and Tone at 1-2 o'clock, Sustain at 100%) that works nicely with a real Big Muff. My desired Fuzz pedal (or even an app) would be one that has control over the lo/mid/hi's, like in Alpha Haunt.