Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Logic Pro for iPad - The Sample Alchemy Instrument - Tutorial, Walkthrough & Demo

Here is my tutorial for the brilliant Sample Alchemy instrument in Logic Pro.
You really can do some very cool stuff with this.
As far as I know, this is the only tutorial so far for Sample Alchemy, some people are thinking that this is part of the Alchemy synth, but it's an instrument on its own.

I hope you enjoy the video.

Comments

• edited June 2023

Nice, Doug. I'm interested in how much like Samplr this has turned out to be, so will definitely watch your video when I get a bit of free time.

• edited June 2023

@Michael_R_Grant I think you’ll find it very similar, in fact if you know Samplr, this will be real easy to pick up👍

• So its not the same Alchemy found in Logic Pro desktop? its a reduced version?

• @jassy said:
    So its not the same Alchemy found in Logic Pro desktop? its a reduced version?

It's a completely separate instrument based on parts of the the Alchemy engine...
    ...even the full Alchemy can't do what Sample Alchemy in Logic Pro for iPad does :sunglasses:

• @Michael_R_Grant said:
    Nice, Doug. I'm interested in how much like Samplr this has turned out to be, so will definitely watch your video when I get a bit of free time.

I find it to be not at all like Samplr other than that the UI looks kind of similar. Samplr is more about playing samples in real time as a touch instrument. Sample Alchemy is more like a synthesis engine that you program by touching the sample. But you play back your patch with a keyboard or one of the control surfaces.

• @SuperNiCd said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

I find it to be not at all like Samplr other than that the UI looks kind of similar. Samplr is more about playing samples in real time as a touch instrument. Sample Alchemy is more like a synthesis engine that you program by touching the sample. But you play back your patch with a keyboard or one of the control surfaces.

You can record 'playing the waveform' as well, no need to use the keyboard at all :)

• edited June 2023

@Samu said:

@SuperNiCd said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

You can record 'playing the waveform' as well, no need to use the keyboard at all :)

Good tip! I don’t find it nearly as satisfying as Samplr to play in that way for some reason. I’m not sure if it’s the full screen app thing or what. It just doesn’t feel quite as precise and responsive as Samplr when played like a touch instrument to me. I think Sample Alchemy brings a lot of new and interesting things to the table though, and I’ll be using it a lot. But I won’t be deleting Samplr!

• @Samu said:

@jassy said:

It's a completely separate instrument based on parts of the the Alchemy engine...
    ...even the full Alchemy can't do what Sample Alchemy in Logic Pro for iPad does :sunglasses:

Looking forward to seeing whatever innovations in the iPadOS version eventually migrate to desktop.

• @NeuM said:

Looking forward to seeing whatever innovations in the iPadOS version eventually migrate to desktop.

One 'innovation' could be to make Logic Pro 11 subscription only :sunglasses:
    (I'll see myself out...).

• @Samu said:

@NeuM said:

One 'innovation' could be to make Logic Pro 11 subscription only :sunglasses:
    (I'll see myself out...).

That’s possible, but not likely. LP on iPadOS is more likely to drive people to eventually want even more capabilities and move to LP on macOS.

• @NeuM said:

That’s possible, but not likely. LP on iPadOS is more likely to drive people to eventually want even more capabilities and move to LP on macOS.

Not to de-rail this thread too much but Logic Pro 11 and Logic for iPad could be included in the same 'subscription bundle' so the iPad only users who migrate to Mac desktop later on would have access to Logic Pro 11 from day one they get their new computer...

Logic is not about the money for Apple...
    ...it's a 'Marketing Tool' that can more be filed under 'marketing expenses' :sunglasses:

• @Samu said:

@NeuM said:

Not to de-rail this thread too much but Logic Pro 11 and Logic for iPad could be included in the same 'subscription bundle' so the iPad only users who migrate to Mac desktop later on would have access to Logic Pro 11 from day one they get their new computer...

Logic is not about the money for Apple...
    ...it's a 'Marketing Tool' that can more be filed under 'marketing expenses' :sunglasses:

At the right price, anything can look like a great deal. ;)

• I have to say, this synth is becoming one of the real stars of the show for me. You can take a beautiful sample and turn it into something ugly. You can take a chaotic sample and turn it into a gorgeous instrument. And pretty much everything in between. All in a fun, interactive, playful way. And I’m always getting a result that has a sense of freshness to my ears.

Then couple that with the huge arsenal of effects you can add to it from the Logic library…

Win.

• edited June 2023

Having a bit of an issue using the motion recorded as demonstrated in the video at around 16:43. I initiate the recording, move the A handle a bit and it records but when playing back the velocity sets and stays at 0, as shown in the mixer to the left. I’m pretty sure I duplicated Doug’s steps here. Any insights? (This could turn into an all-day obsession until I get it right. My boss may not appreciate my sudden lack of productivity.) Thanks.

EDIT: I should add that the velocity behaves normally after I clear the motion recording.

• @Samu said:

@jassy said:

Oh, sad news, I was expecting the same synth than the Logic one. I was an Alchemy windows user time a go and i would have liked to have the full version on the Ipad (I dont own a Mac).