Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for an AUv3 synth similar to iMono/Poly that works in Logic.

The thread title basically says it, lol. I have Buttersynth, but it tends to crash in Logic Pro even though Buttersynth is pretty much the best AUv3 synth out there in my opinion (ymmv).

That said, I finally bought Copperhead for $6.99. I thought it costed more than that, but wow what a great synth and fantastic bargain! I also have Zeeon which is still boss for analogue sounds, but I wonder...what other recommendations do you have for synths?

(I'm looking for AUv3 synths like iMono/Poly for EDM, Trance, Dubsteppish basses, etc.)

As always I appreciate any help and advice you have for me. :)

Comments

• Agonizer?

• edited June 2023

@McD said:
    Agonizer?

Whoa! How did I miss this synth?! Only 20 quid. Made in collaboration with @jakoB_haQ . Sold!

Edit: It is monophonic only, but so far I am blown away with how unique it sounds! 20 quid well spent!

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    The thread title basically says it, lol. I have Buttersynth, but it tends to crash in Logic Pro even though Buttersynth is pretty much the best AUv3 synth out there in my opinion (ymmv).

That said, I finally bought Copperhead for $6.99. I thought it costed more than that, but wow what a great synth and fantastic bargain! I also have Zeeon which is still boss for analogue sounds, but I wonder...what other recommendations do you have for synths?

(I'm looking for AUv3 synths like iMono/Poly for EDM, Trance, Dubsteppish basses, etc.)

I read from @dendy that the problems with ButterSynth are fixed in the latest beta.
    Just wait a bit?

• Poison-202?

• Cyclop maybe?

• edited June 2023

@tja said:
    I read from @dendy that the problems with ButterSynth are fixed in the latest beta.
    Just wait a bit?

yup.. i dunno if @Kirnu is working on some more optimalisations or tweaks, or when he plans to release update, as far as my testing, i don't see any more critical bugs, it's pretty stable and reliable across multiple hosts i tested ...

• @dendy said:

@tja said:
    Just wait a bit?

yup.. i dunno if @Kirnu is working on some more optimalisations or tweaks, or when he plans to release update, as far as my testing, i don't see any more critical bugs, it's pretty stable and reliable across multiple hosts i tested ...

My beta does not work anymore - I only see "build removed"

• Zeeon older brother Sunriser
    DRC

• @tja said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Just wait a bit?

Of course I can wait a bit, but I have a few extra quid set aside in my budget for some iOS synths (if I don't already own them that is). :)

@McD said:
    Poison-202?

@HotStrange said:
    Cyclop maybe?

@ecou said:
    Zeeon older brother Sunriser
    DRC

Quite a few synths I've forgotten about that I already own. Rather embarrassing actually, lol. I was working in Gadget and NS2 for so long that I forgot about the AUv3 synths that exist. (Obsidian in NS2 really is an amazing versatile synth that eliminated the need for external AUv3 synths for me personally, and Gadget's collection of synths would fulfill my every need as well, lol. But now that I'm using Logic, I needed these reminders.)

• tjatja
    edited June 2023

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Of course I can wait a bit, but I have a few extra quid set aside in my budget for some iOS synths (if I don't already own them that is). :)

Mela 4 🤗🥰

• Did you try these 10? Retro synth might be the one you are looking for

• @tja said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Mela 4 🤗🥰

That looks tasty! Not sure if I'll use it in Logic Pro just yet, but this is the kind of synth I want to play with for Ambient for sure. SO yes, I purchased. Also have NFM.

That said, I forgot to mention I also have Hilda which @dendy has used in his Minimal Techno track recently. ;)

@cokomairena said:

Did you try these 10? Retro synth might be the one you are looking for

I forgot to mention that yes I've tried those synths. They're amazing already. :) Of course I tried them, lol. I'm just looking for more. And I don't mean more physical modelling as Sculpture has me covered there.

• @jwmmakerofmusic
    Quite a few synths I've forgotten about that I already own. Rather embarrassing actually, lol. I was working in Gadget and NS2 for so long that I forgot about the AUv3 synths that exist. (Obsidian in NS2 really is an amazing versatile synth that eliminated the need for external AUv3 synths for me personally, and Gadget's collection of synths would fulfill my every need as well, lol. But now that I'm using Logic, I needed these reminders.)

just plain ES2 (3 oscillators ,3 envelopes, 2 lfos, mod matrix, 2 rourable filters, build in deive/distortion, unison module, chorus/phaser) covers a LOT .. then rhere are other synths, even FM ..

I you can live with horrible UI, the sound of Logic stock plugins is great, they can easily substitute 95% of AUs

• edited June 2023

@dendy said:

@jwmmakerofmusic

just plain ES2 (3 oscillators ,3 envelopes, 2 lfos, mod matrix, 2 rourable filters, build in deive/distortion, unison module, chorus/phaser) covers a LOT .. then rhere are other synths, even FM ..

I you can live with horrible UI, the sound of Logic stock plugins is great, they can easily substitute 95% of AUs

That's true.

This was made 100% with stock Logic plugins. I'm just looking for synths with more "bite" or unique qualities, and yet several have already been mentioned above. ;)

• You can get very close to iMono/Poly with Twin 3’s 4 oscillators and similar effects, including drive/compression/verb/etc

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@McD said:
    Agonizer?

Whoa! How did I miss this synth?! Only 20 quid. Made in collaboration with @jakoB_haQ . Sold!

Edit: It is monophonic only, but so far I am blown away with how unique it sounds! 20 quid well spent!

Bought it when it was first released and some of its sounds cannot be exactly reproduced in any of my other synths. I wrestled with finding alternatives to replace it when I started moving all of my iPadOS projects to macOS.

• edited June 2023

@NeuM said:
    Bought it when it was first released and some of its sounds cannot be exactly reproduced in any of my other synths. I wrestled with finding alternatives to replace it when I started moving all of my iPadOS projects to macOS.

On MacOS you have Serum :-) Thaťs literally only one synth you need, it’s capable of everything, mos tof other synths are sonocally just subset of serum 😂 Oh and maybe Diva.

• @dendy said:

@NeuM said:

On MacOS you have Serum :-) Thaťs literally only one synth you need, it’s capable of everything, mos tof other synths are sonocally just subset of serum 😂 Oh and maybe Diva.

I love Serum’s capabilities and interface, but it’s a bit too modern/sterile/digital sounding for my taste. U/HE Diva, Zebra 2 (soon to be 3) and Gforce OB-E is where it’s at for me. Gforce and U/HE sound is on another level.

• @Eschatone said:

@dendy said:

@NeuM said:

I love Serum’s capabilities and interface, but it’s a bit too modern/sterile/digital sounding for my taste. U/HE Diva, Zebra 2 (soon to be 3) and Gforce OB-E is where it’s at for me. Gforce and U/HE sound is on another level.

Is it just me, or isn't the solution to simply design the sound so it's more analog sounding? Serum should be able to do that fairly easily.

• edited June 2023

@Darkstring said:
    Is it just me, or isn't the solution to simply design the sound so it's more analog sounding? Serum should be able to do that fairly easily.

Pretty much exactly this :-)

Of course not at 100%, but a LOT of synths are famous mostly because they are in code tuned to have specific sound, so people with not that much sound design skills gets that speciffic sound "for free" automatically without special effort.

But when you get the synth of Serum level, if you know how, you can do literally any thinkable sound and sound character with it.

On iOS such synth is Butter, don't know about any other (Yes, in my chart even SM2 is not there, mostly becasuse of horrible UI)

Note that i do not try to say that Diva and other desktop monsters are meaningles. On desktop i would choose Serum + Diva + few others synths simply becasue sometimes it saves lot of time to just grab speciffic synth for some speciffic sound - but if you are on budget, all you need is to master the Serum-like synth (on desktop similiar league are for example Vital or Massive) and you can do literally anything with it.

Of course, also another factor is synth UI, and this shouldn't be underestimated. Good UI, when inspires you, may lead to much more fun and much more musically usable sounds, that other synth with maybe better possibilities but messy or unintuitive UI.

• edited June 2023

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    That said, I forgot to mention I also have Hilda which @dendy has used in his Minimal Techno track recently. ;)

Hilda is absolute monster. I would say it's only one iOS synth which feels like i work with real analog HW synths. Both in terms of workflow but also sound.

• edited June 2023

@dendy said:

@Darkstring said:

Pretty much exactly this :-)

Of course not at 100%, but a LOT of synths are famous mostly because they are in code tuned to have specific sound, so people with not that much sound design skills gets that speciffic sound "for free" automatically without special effort.

Maybe 70% at most .. I use the analog sound design tricks on my Hydrasynth (Modulate a slight detune + use its built in drift/warmth features) but it still not as convincing as a circuit level analog emulation like Diva, Repro or OB-E. It still sounds like a digital synth with some drift, while the latter is virtually indistinguishable from a real classic analog.

• edited June 2023

I agree the Korg Monopoly is an excellent representation of an analog synth. The sound is warm and thick. Many of the others sound thin and wannabe, especially once the resonance is cranked up. I wish yet to find something close. Hilda is very good too, but it has a completely different sound than the Monopoly. Maybe the Moog stuff would be close. Too bad Korg doesn’t bring these to AUv3.

• @Antos3345 said:
    Too bad Korg doesn’t bring these to AUv3.

With a whole lot of luck, maybe Logic Pro stimulates the music app sales in the App Store and Korg would decide to upgrade many of their IAA only apps to AUv3. I won’t hold my breath.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@tja said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    The thread title basically says it, lol. I have Buttersynth, but it tends to crash in Logic Pro even though Buttersynth is pretty much the best AUv3 synth out there in'my opinion (ymmv).

Just wait a bit?

@McD said:
    Poison-202?

@HotStrange said:
    Cyclop maybe?

@ecou said:
    Zeeon older brother Sunriser
    DRC

You should get AUBE to help you remember what you have. I probably less than half the apps you do and I forget what I have.

Maybe you forgot you have AUBE 😂😂

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@tja said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Mela 4 🤗🥰

That looks tasty! Not sure if I'll use it in Logic Pro just yet, but this is the kind of synth I want to play with for Ambient for sure. SO yes, I purchased. Also have NFM.

@cokomairena said:

Did you try these 10? Retro synth might be the one you are looking for

I forgot to mention that yes I've tried those synths. They're amazing already. :) Of course I tried them, lol. I'm just looking for more. And I don't mean more physical modelling as Sculpture has me covered there.

Good choice. Mela is probably my personal favorite iOS synth. And the dev is planning on bringing NFM into Mela 4 which will make it even better. Keep in mind it’s mono only at the moment but he’s working on bringing polyphony. Mela 3 is still polyphonic though and sounds amazing.

• @dendy said:

@jwmmakerofmusic

I agree but I still wouldn’t want to replace all of my AU synths. ES2 and Sculpture are the best of the bunch though, imo.

• @Eschatone said:
    You can get very close to iMono/Poly with Twin 3’s 4 oscillators and similar effects, including drive/compression/verb/etc

Twin3 is amazing.

• @NeuM said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@McD said:
    Agonizer?

I still haven’t bought Agonizer for some reason but it’s on my list. I really wanted it when it came out and then it just kept slipping my mind until recently.

• @HotStrange said:

@NeuM said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@McD said:
    Agonizer?

I still haven’t bought Agonizer for some reason but it’s on my list. I really wanted it when it came out and then it just kept slipping my mind until recently.

I love the quality of sounds from it.