Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy Pro to Logic Pro - transferring midi, audio, presets etc.

edited June 2023 in Logic Pro

I’ve always found traditional daws stifle my creativity. Loopy Pro is the perfect playground for me to get ideas going with no constraints, and I don’t think I’m alone in this.

But then there’s a point where a traditional daw is the best way to get the track finished.

So this thread is about how to transfer midi, audio, presets, whatever else from LP to… LP.

Midi

Whilst we wait for midi loops, I’ve been using Drambo, LK or Atom 2 for midi in Loopy. Logic currently has no midi import,
EDIT: I was forgetting Logic DOES have midi import when I wrote this 🤦‍♂️
so the best way I’ve found to get midi across is to play the midi in Loopy on iPhone and record it into Logic. You can do this by turning on network midi on both apps, then you should see iPad as a midi destination from Loopy. This is probably easier with both apps on the same device to be fair.

Audio

Off the top of my head, you can export audio from Loopy loops, save to iCloud/files, then import to Logic.

Presets

For auv3 instruments, I’ve been saving the state as a preset with the name of the song I’m working on, then opened this is Logic. I’m usually coming from iPhone, but lots of apps have preset sharing so you can airdrop from one device to the other.

Interested to hear other people’s suggestions and ideas.

Comments

• With Drambo inside Logic I just drag and drop audio out. And I record midi.

LP is a bit of a pain thanks to not allowing drag and drop out of the AU, but for anything like that I just track the audio out.

If things were more complicated I might consider switching to Logic on the Mac to get things done before going back to the iPad.

• edited June 2023

@mistercharlie said:
    With Drambo inside Logic I just drag and drop audio out. And I record midi.

LP is a bit of a pain thanks to not allowing drag and drop out of the AU, but for anything like that I just track the audio out.

If things were more complicated I might consider switching to Logic on the Mac to get things done before going back to the iPad.

I always host auv3s in Loopy so completely forgot it can be hosted itself. Great for audio only projects and I wouldn’t be surprised if @Michael will add drag and drop. It’s probably on the roadmap already.

Once midi loops are implemented this could be a good way to get the midi out as well.

• One super neat thing about hosting LP is that it still talks to any connected midi controllers. If I have my Launchpad Pro connected to my iPad, and LP is inside Logic, the donuts show up as colored squares on the Launchpad.

If LP did drag-and-drop out of the AU, I would just leave an instance on the master bus for resampling duties.

Yes, Launchpad Pro, Loopy Pro, Logic Pro. The LP space is getting crowded.

• My new workflow is a bit similar to yours except that I use loopy at the end for live purpose.
    So I create compose and create beats and tracks with a mix logic and loopy then I record all my tracks in loopy so I can use it live and most important chain songs live automatically.
    The workflow is a bit complex and not alway very stable (sometimes logic refuse to load Loopy and then save automatically so it lost my loopy file) but this workflow is very powerful and creative.

• Logic Pro can import MIDI Files (drag from Files into Logic).

• What would be your thinking for bringing the midi in?
    At risk of this not being helpful,, because you will have your own workflow reasons my inclination would be to only bring audio across, and thus mainly mix in Logic, with audio part arranging if I'm not in fact really just bringing stems over. If I capture everything as donut clips in Loopy, then perhaps quite a lot of such arranging, but if I recorded more like stems in Loopy then Logic is just for final mixing. FX busses also captured unless I'm imagining recreating any of those.
    I can't think of anything creative that I can't do in Loopy Pro that would somehow be enabled in Logic Pro and I don't think I need any midi therefore bringing. Just mix from a clean slate, a fresh ears opportunity to balance from scratch with a focus on it as a separate activity The production already happened (in the form of performing). So, stems, or parts, as strictly audio made in Loopy donuts, in to clean slate in Logic. Also slightly differentiated effects busses in Logic compared to Loopy that don't have to be as processor efficient for live-performance focus, alongside mixing in some captured Loopy made effects rendered as audio of the fx sends. Shorter answer, just plenty of donuts / clips audio brought from Loopy, in to a clean slate in Logic that uses a mix focused template. Apologies if that's just not helpful! More a mindset thing than a how-to technically achieve when you want your actual question answered!

• From where come the widely opinions that Logic Pro for iPad can’t import MIDI-files?

As Samu said yesterday, people here on the forum “complain” about missing features, one or many, but, in the end the functions is there, but perhaps too complicated to discover for average users of Logic…

We are still in version 1.0 so much more will come the coming months…

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    From where come the widely opinions that Logic Pro for iPad can’t import MIDI-files?

As Samu said yesterday, people here on the forum “complain” about missing features, one or many, but, in the end the functions is there, but perhaps too complicated to discover for average users of Logic…

I am an average user of Logic and V1.0 need to be expert like @Samu , Apple guys need really to make it easier to work adding at least templates, not so hidden functionalities.

Who they target : hobby music people who are not still into Logic , at. This stage it is fail many can’t create something as they are lost in Logic.

Pro producers that use Logic Desktop the vast majority don’t want of Logic IPad as it doesn’t fit what they need for their work.

At v1.0 stage I am not optimistic at all on Logic IPad even if I will take one year sub. Apple guys need really to make it easier or they will fail as it is so easy not to carryon the sub or to unsubscribe , and when you unsubscribe you never comeback.

• @os68ng said:
    Logic Pro can import MIDI Files (drag from Files into Logic).

@ErrkaPetti said:
    From where come the widely opinions that Logic Pro for iPad can’t import MIDI-files?

This was me being a dumbass. I got mixed up with the fact you can’t export midi easily from Drambo (right?) so I was playing it straight into Logic and recording it instead.

@Bruques said:
    What would be your thinking for bringing the midi in?
    At risk of this not being helpful,, because you will have your own workflow reasons my inclination would be to only bring audio across, and thus mainly mix in Logic, with audio part arranging if I'm not in fact really just bringing stems over. If I capture everything as donut clips in Loopy, then perhaps quite a lot of such arranging, but if I recorded more like stems in Loopy then Logic is just for final mixing. FX busses also captured unless I'm imagining recreating any of those.
    I can't think of anything creative that I can't do in Loopy Pro that would somehow be enabled in Logic Pro and I don't think I need any midi therefore bringing. Just mix from a clean slate, a fresh ears opportunity to balance from scratch with a focus on it as a separate activity The production already happened (in the form of performing). So, stems, or parts, as strictly audio made in Loopy donuts, in to clean slate in Logic. Also slightly differentiated effects busses in Logic compared to Loopy that don't have to be as processor efficient for live-performance focus, alongside mixing in some captured Loopy made effects rendered as audio of the fx sends. Shorter answer, just plenty of donuts / clips audio brought from Loopy, in to a clean slate in Logic that uses a mix focused template. Apologies if that's just not helpful! More a mindset thing than a how-to technically achieve when you want your actual question answered!

This is helpful and something I’ve thought about.

I use a lot of auv3 synths and, even though I do automation with follow actions in Loopy, I want to be able to automate them further in the final arrangement. Therefore it’s important I have the synth and the midi rather than just the baked audio.

This will likely change depending on the track and the instruments involved.

• @BerlinFx said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

I am an average user of Logic and V1.0 need to be expert like @Samu , Apple guys need really to make it easier to work adding at least templates, not so hidden functionalities.

Who they target : hobby music people who are not still into Logic , at. This stage it is fail many can’t create something as they are lost in Logic.

Pro producers that use Logic Desktop the vast majority don’t want of Logic IPad as it doesn’t fit what they need for their work.

At v1.0 stage I am not optimistic at all on Logic IPad even if I will take one year sub. Apple guys need really to make it easier or they will fail as it is so easy not to carryon the sub or to unsubscribe , and when you unsubscribe you never comeback.

Also an average user and I find logic to be pretty intuitive for the most part.

As far as templates go, I posted a work around a few days ago that I’ve used on other apps… Open a new project and set it up how you would want it as a template and then back out of the project. Then when you want to create just duplicate that project and go from there. It’s exactly the same as a template honestly.

• @gregsmith said:

@os68ng said:
    Logic Pro can import MIDI Files (drag from Files into Logic).

@ErrkaPetti said:

This was me being a dumbass. I got mixed up with the fact you can’t export midi easily from Drambo (right?) so I was playing it straight into Logic and recording it instead.

@Bruques said:
    What would be your thinking for bringing the midi in?

This is helpful and something I’ve thought about.

I use a lot of auv3 synths and, even though I do automation with follow actions in Loopy, I want to be able to automate them further in the final arrangement. Therefore it’s important I have the synth and the midi rather than just the baked audio.

This will likely change depending on the track and the instruments involved.

Gotcha, fair enough
    Not that I would never do that, and using predominantly synths myself I have done that, though mostly I keep em separate.
    Originally the habit came out of prepping projects for other mix engineers to work on about 15 years ago, and that the only good way to do it was to have this separation, then I kept doing it, for that clean slate. But I take the point/use case, and of course the option is there so why not. I can always bounce stems in place from midi tracks then track hide those midi tracks, and have a sort of separation while still available, just that it was never quite as clean slate doing it that way, the mixer set up, busses, chains, etc. Advantages and disadvantages either way. I would usually just revert to the production project if I wanted to tweak a synth and rebounce. Nowadays thats less likely coz Im MPE playing so its a "take" and done.

• I use Loopy with its multi-outs set up in Logic.
    Then I MIDI-learn the doughnuts/clips.
    That way I can record/playback my sequences via MIDI and every loop has its own track with effects and their automation.
    Usually I set-up my samples in the same key by importing them in Blocswave and then copy/paste them via the clipboard in Loopy (in Logic).

• @mistercharlie said:
    With Drambo inside Logic I just drag and drop audio out.

What part of Drambo are you dragging audio files into?

• @dokwok2 said:

@mistercharlie said:

The other way around. Out of Drambo, into Logic.

• @mistercharlie said:

@dokwok2 said:

@mistercharlie said:

From Logic to Drambo would be super nice!
    ...but for that to work Logic would need to implement Drag'n'Drop export of audio and midi which it currently can't do.
    (The functionality is already there as we can drag a region to create sampler instrument etc.)

I guess if/when Apple implements Drag'n'Drop export to the Browser or Files.app pop-over we'd be able to Drag to Flexi or Shot-Sampler in Drambo as well which will benefit all AUv3's supporting Drag'n'Drop :sunglasses:

• @Samu said:

@mistercharlie said:

@dokwok2 said:

@mistercharlie said:

From Logic to Drambo would be super nice!
    ...but for that to work Logic would need to implement Drag'n'Drop export of audio and midi which it currently can't do.
    (The functionality is already there as we can drag a region to create sampler instrument etc.)

I guess if/when Apple implements Drag'n'Drop export to the Browser or Files.app pop-over we'd be able to Drag to Flexi or Shot-Sampler in Drambo as well which will benefit all AUv3's supporting Drag'n'Drop :sunglasses:

I dream of the day Loopy Pro has midi donuts, so you can just host it in Logic, then drag and drop the midi and audio out to the timeline.

• @gregsmith
    Would be great if we could do this with audio now
    Drag donut to logic timeline

• I mean the audio from the donut

• I was just trying to solve that. Drag and drop audio from donut to timeline would be outstanding.
    Loopy retrospective recording is the best and using it in Logic really opens up a workflow. Stifling not to just drag it where it needs to go. Saving to files then dragging for now. Just such a long flowbreaker.

• @tput73 said:
    I was just trying to solve that. Drag and drop audio from donut to timeline would be outstanding.
    Loopy retrospective recording is the best and using it in Logic really opens up a workflow. Stifling not to just drag it where it needs to go. Saving to files then dragging for now. Just such a long flowbreaker.

I agree with this. One of Drambo’s best (of many amazing) features is its support for drag and drop. You can drag from a Drambo sampler into Loopy Pro, for example, or Koala. Would love it is LP supported dragging out.

• @mistercharlie said:

@tput73 said:
    I was just trying to solve that. Drag and drop audio from donut to timeline would be outstanding.

I agree with this. One of Drambo’s best (of many amazing) features is its support for drag and drop. You can drag from a Drambo sampler into Loopy Pro, for example, or Koala. Would love it is LP supported dragging out.

It is a planned feature. Upvote it on the roadmap, if you haven't already:
    https://roadmap.loopypro.com/feature-requests/p/drag-n-drop-from-loops-to-files-macos