Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

JWM - Desolate Wasteland (Minimal Techno created 100% in Logic Pro)

(Disclaimer, for whatever reason Soundcloud decided to botch the first few seconds of the piece with pops and clicks. Stupid Soundcloud, lol.)

Here's my entry for my self-made "June Logic Pro iPad" challenge found here.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/55958/the-june-logic-pro-ipad-audiobus-forum-challenge#latest

Absolutely no external plugins or samples were used. In fact, for this piece, no samples were used at all, opting instead to use the drum synth and stock synths to create this piece of Minimal Techno. And no external plugins were used in the mixing and mastering.

If you enjoyed what you heard, please follow me on SoundCloud and BandCamp.

https://jwmmakerofmusic.bandcamp.com/

Give the track a like on SoundCloud, and leave a comment below in this thread. Cheers and enjoy! ☕️

Comments

• I forgot to add that there's subtle tempo changes throughout the piece, though not so subtle at the end. 😆

• edited June 2023

The flanging bass and minimal vibe of this reminds me of John Carpenter’s early soundtrack work, in particular for his own classic, brutal movie Assault On Precinct 13:

(Famously reinvented by Tim Simenon of course.)

One of the things that drew me to electronic music in the 1970s were those great, hard, stripped down scores by the likes of Carpenter and Tangerine Dream, (The Keep, Wages Of Fear aka Sorcerer.)

This reminded me of those so much. Thanks! :)

• Great stuff! Really enjoyed that. You mind talking a bit about which stock synths and effects you used?

I really like the drum synth. It can be really great for strange noises as well.

• Really top it will be really difficult to beat you at Logic Challenge 😂

• Oh yeah... this is nice! Definitely elements of Tangerine dream / John Carpenter. How are you finding the internal logic synths for making your own patches (or do you do the work in desktop Logic and port across?)

• edited June 2023

@jwmmakerofmusic

check my post here, decided to add some spice to your competition, hope you like the idea :)
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/1213831/#Comment_1213831

• @Svetlovska said:
    The flanging bass and minimal vibe of this reminds me of John Carpenter’s early soundtrack work, in particular for his own classic, brutal movie Assault On Precinct 13:

(Famously reinvented by Tim Simenon of course.)

One of the things that drew me to electronic music in the 1970s were those great, hard, stripped down scores by the likes of Carpenter and Tangerine Dream, (The Keep, Wages Of Fear aka Sorcerer.)

This reminded me of those so much. Thanks! :)

That's amazing praise right there, my friend. ❤️‍🔥 You and they are all musicians I highly respect.

@HotStrange said:
    Great stuff! Really enjoyed that. You mind talking a bit about which stock synths and effects you used?

I really like the drum synth. It can be really great for strange noises as well.

Wait for my next reply to this thread. :) It'll be a long reply, lol.

@ik2000 said:
    Oh yeah... this is nice! Definitely elements of Tangerine dream / John Carpenter.

Again, amazing praise from another musician I highly respect here. :) Thank you so much friend.

How are you finding the internal logic synths for making your own patches (or do you do the work in desktop Logic and port across?)

Me, I just simply start with the default patch and sculpt the sound as I go. :) The only time I use a "preset" is when I'm using a rompler or a prerecorded sample. But I love to start with a bare minimum preset first and foremost.

@dendy said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic

check my post here, decided to add some spice to your competition, hope you like the idea :)
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/1213831/#Comment_1213831

I sure do mate. Great idea, but uploading to Youtube may not be for everyone. I'm thinking that if we do spice up the challenge a little that people are required to take at least two screenshots (one of the mixer, one of the full timeline, as seen above). Uploading to Youtube may not be everyone's preferred method of uploading, and screenrecording the playback can be optional . :)

• @HotStrange said:
    Great stuff! Really enjoyed that. You mind talking a bit about which stock synths and effects you used?

The rolling bass is ES2 synth, and it's processed through microphaser, single band EQ (for automation), SilverVerb (just to try that instead of Chromaverb, and I used the lowcut in SilverVerb to clean up the low end), compressor (sidechained to the kick just to duck it when the kick hits), and channel EQ.

The chords (or rather, intervals since I don't use triads lol) are ES1 and processed through single band EQ (for automation), stereo delay, chromaverb, and channel EQ.

That one phat and crunchy sustained synth that I called "once in a while" is Retro Synth. This is processed through ensemble for phattening, overdrive for crunch, chromaverb, and channel EQ.

The "Noise SC" is white noise created in ES1 and processed through chromaverb, channel EQ, and compressor (sidechained to the kick for that extreme pumping effect).

On the instrument buss I placed a Vintage Opto Compressor to glue the instruments.

On the master track I have a regular limiter that I used to slam and brickwall the mix entirely. I always mix into a limiter. When it was time to master the track, I disabled that limiter and put on there a gain to reduce the peaking to around -12dB, a bitcrusher in place of RX950 (as using RX950 would be against the rules of the competition), the Vintage Opto compressor to glue everything, the Adaptive Limiter to bring everything to approx -14LuFS, and the loudness meter to make sure I'm staying around -14LuFS on average.

As mentioned in my second post in this thread above, I utilised BPM changes throughout the entire piece, lol.

I won't lie, when I first heard the stock synths in Logic Pro (Alchemy and Drum Synth being the exceptions, even if Alchemy is the limited player version), I was a little underwhelmed when compared to hearing the incredible likes of Hilda, Zeeon, Buttersynth, etc. But after giving the stock synths a real chance, I really love their sound! This track "Desolate Wasteland" proves how great they are in a mix, even if they were underwhelming at first. Not every synth has to be VA, lol.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

The rolling bass is ES2 synth, and it's processed through microphaser, single band EQ (for automation), SilverVerb (just to try that instead of Chromaverb, and I used the lowcut in SilverVerb to clean up the low end), compressor (sidechained to the kick just to duck it when the kick hits), and channel EQ.

The chords (or rather, intervals since I don't use triads lol) are ES1 and processed through single band EQ (for automation), stereo delay, chromaverb, and channel EQ.

That one phat and crunchy sustained synth that I called "once in a while" is Retro Synth. This is processed through ensemble for phattening, overdrive for crunch, chromaverb, and channel EQ.

The "Noise SC" is white noise created in ES1 and processed through chromaverb, channel EQ, and compressor (sidechained to the kick for that extreme pumping effect).

On the instrument buss I placed a Vintage Opto Compressor to glue the instruments.

On the master track I have a regular limiter that I used to slam and brickwall the mix entirely. I always mix into a limiter. When it was time to master the track, I disabled that limiter and put on there a gain to reduce the peaking to around -12dB, a bitcrusher in place of RX950 (as using RX950 would be against the rules of the competition), the Vintage Opto compressor to glue everything, the Adaptive Limiter to bring everything to approx -14LuFS, and the loudness meter to make sure I'm staying around -14LuFS on average.

As mentioned in my second post in this thread above, I utilised BPM changes throughout the entire piece, lol.

I won't lie, when I first heard the stock synths in Logic Pro (Alchemy and Drum Synth being the exceptions, even if Alchemy is the limited player version), I was a little underwhelmed when compared to hearing the incredible likes of Hilda, Zeeon, Buttersynth, etc. But after giving the stock synths a real chance, I really love their sound! This track "Desolate Wasteland" proves how great they are in a mix, even if they were underwhelming at first. Not every synth has to be VA, lol.

Thanks! This makes me wanna dive more into the mastering fx in logic. May work on that tomorrow.

I agree about the synths. I was underwhelmed at first as well but I absolutely love Sculpture, Sample Alchemy, and the drum synth. ES2 is awesome as well and reminds me of the DW8000 with those digital waveforms and analog signal chain. Retro synth with its 4-in-1 is pretty cool too. I’m also a big fan of the studio horns and strings. Wish I could use them outside of logic 😂

I get the feeling I’ll be using Logic a decent amount but still probably spend 60% or more of my time in AUM. It just fits my workflow better. But for using a DAW to deep dive in a project, Logic is great. I think I actually like using AUs more in C3 and Zenbeats though. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

• Nice work
    Great explanation of how you made it also
    Sweet

• @HotStrange said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

Thanks! This makes me wanna dive more into the mastering fx in logic. May work on that tomorrow.

Best of luck mate. :)

I agree about the synths. I was underwhelmed at first as well but I absolutely love Sculpture, Sample Alchemy, and the drum synth. ES2 is awesome as well and reminds me of the DW8000 with those digital waveforms and analog signal chain. Retro synth with its 4-in-1 is pretty cool too. I’m also a big fan of the studio horns and strings. Wish I could use them outside of logic 😂

Those synths have a retro futuristic sound to them for sure. But yes, you can use the synths and studio horns and strings outside of Logic Pro. Just render them into PaulXStretch er, ahem, into your DAW of choice. :lol:

I get the feeling I’ll be using Logic a decent amount but still probably spend 60% or more of my time in AUM. It just fits my workflow better. But for using a DAW to deep dive in a project, Logic is great. I think I actually like using AUs more in C3 and Zenbeats though. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

Yes I think it's a matter of getting used to Logic Pro first. My first week learning Logic Pro was painful to say the least :lol: , but then I created "The Geisha" Lofi HipHop track (something easy enough for me to test the waters with), and the result was wonderful. Once I got into the Logic workflow and figured things out and was helped with things, it all became quite a lovely experience.

• @Gdub said:
    Nice work
    Great explanation of how you made it also
    Sweet

Thank you so much mate. :) Much appreciated.

• Loving this new track, Jim! Keeping things at the edge and tight. Well done mate, thanks for sharing!!

• @Bob said:
    Loving this new track, Jim! Keeping things at the edge and tight. Well done mate, thanks for sharing!!

Of course mate. Thank you so much. :)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

Those synths have a retro futuristic sound to them for sure. But yes, you can use the synths and studio horns and strings outside of Logic Pro. Just render them into PaulXStretch er, ahem, into your DAW of choice. :lol:

Yes I think it's a matter of getting used to Logic Pro first. My first week learning Logic Pro was painful to say the least :lol: , but then I created "The Geisha" Lofi HipHop track (something easy enough for me to test the waters with), and the result was wonderful. Once I got into the Logic workflow and figured things out and was helped with things, it all became quite a lovely experience.

Sampling is always a good option for those studio horns/strings. Maybe I can cook something up in AudioLayer or some other sampler. PaulXStretch is so good. That’s a great idea. I know what I’m doing today now 😂

I’m working on and off on a psychedelic synthpop track and a regular trap kinda track in Logic. Neither are close to done but I’m hoping I can finish one before Junes up for the monthly challenge. It’s definitely got a learning curve. I’ve never fully dove into any DAW because I’ve always been more of a live tweaker, even when I mostly had hardware. So it’s a whole new ball game going beyond the surface level.

• @HotStrange said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

Sampling is always a good option for those studio horns/strings. Maybe I can cook something up in AudioLayer or some other sampler. PaulXStretch is so good. That’s a great idea. I know what I’m doing today now 😂

Right on mate! Experimenting is the best way to have fun. :) Thinking of Logic Pro not as a DAW but as an instrument. It's the way I think of AUM as an instrument rather than a modular mixing board.

I’m working on and off on a psychedelic synthpop track and a regular trap kinda track in Logic. Neither are close to done but I’m hoping I can finish one before Junes up for the monthly challenge. It’s definitely got a learning curve. I’ve never fully dove into any DAW because I’ve always been more of a live tweaker, even when I mostly had hardware. So it’s a whole new ball game going beyond the surface level.

Me, I never was a live tweaker and always more of a DAW person up until last year for my "Summer of Ambient 2022" where I created live Ambient first in Koala standalone and then in AUM. Lots of fun. :)

• edited June 2023

Like the sunset boulevard road movie vibe of this! Another take would be to go for minor 9ths and 11ths and dubby delays, and a bit of dirt and you’ve got a great dub techno vibe right there.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

Right on mate! Experimenting is the best way to have fun. :) Thinking of Logic Pro not as a DAW but as an instrument. It's the way I think of AUM as an instrument rather than a modular mixing board.

Me, I never was a live tweaker and always more of a DAW person up until last year for my "Summer of Ambient 2022" where I created live Ambient first in Koala standalone and then in AUM. Lots of fun. :)

Agreed. I try to approach things in a less technical way. Makes everything more fun :)

I haven’t released anything done in Logic yet but I just now posted a new track I made in AUM. Pretty proud of it.

• @craftycurate said:
    Like the sunset boulevard road movie vibe of this! Another take would be to go for minor 9ths and 11ths and dubby delays, and a bit of dirt and you’ve got a great dub techno vibe right there.

Cool suggestions! Mind if I steal, er, borrow those for my next Minimal Techno in Logic? ;)

@HotStrange said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@HotStrange said:

Agreed. I try to approach things in a less technical way. Makes everything more fun :)

Indeed. I may be a professional producer, but I don't want it to all be clinical and "by the book" either.

I haven’t released anything done in Logic yet but I just now posted a new track I made in AUM. Pretty proud of it.

You should be! It's awesome! :)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@craftycurate said:

Cool suggestions! Mind if I steal, er, borrow those for my next Minimal Techno in Logic? ;)

Look forward to hearing what you come up with … forgot to mention the modulated high pass filter on the chords and plenty of reverb, and BPM about 110 :)

• Great track, very moody, impressive give your a new Logic Pro user but I guess that’s the years of experience paying off… I’d still be reading the manual 🤨

• @craftycurate said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@craftycurate said:

Look forward to hearing what you come up with … forgot to mention the modulated high pass filter on the chords and plenty of reverb, and BPM about 110 :)

Ah cool. :) Although crazy enough I have returned to Nanostudio 2 as my main creative environment. I'm currently crafting something ala Justice that samples six different songs (although this track is more "for fun" as I cannot release it on Soundcloud or Bandcamp without paying out a ton of royalties). 😆

@GeoTony said:
    Great track, very moody, impressive give your a new Logic Pro user but I guess that’s the years of experience paying off… I’d still be reading the manual 🤨

Yeah, I've given up reading the manual at this point and have switched back to NS2 for my creative environment, although Logic is invaluable to me for mastering EPs and recording vocals.

• I like your restraint on this. On the other hand, I like your unrestrained stuff too.

• @Stochastically said:
    I like your restraint on this. On the other hand, I like your unrestrained stuff too.

Thanks mate. :) Yep, sometimes ya gotta let loose, and sometimes ya just gotta let it breathe and be minimal. :)