Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mastering your track in Logic Pro iPad.

Really interested in how you’re doing this? Are you bouncing a stereo mix then going back to Logic to do a stereo master? Are you doing some kind of mix/master in the same project if so how? I’m a bit basic in knowledge so if you can explain in dummy terms that might just help! Thx in anticipation 🙏🏼.

Comments

• Just depends on personal preference more than anything I think. Some people like exporting the stereo mix down and starting the mastering in a new project. It helps them just focus on the mastering and not get sidetracked doing last minute arranging or what not. If you're new to mastering your own music, I think is probably a good way to get started to keep you more focused.

Other people (like myself) are fine just doing the mastering as part of the original project file, just using some plug ins on the master channel. The benefit of this way of working is that it's often easier to fix issues you hear in the mix down and not in the mastering phase, so for me "mastering" is usually just a limiter to get the final volume up.

But like I said, either method is valid, it's more about how you like to work more than anything.

• Thank you for taking time can I ask you am I missing something obvious. What appears to be the master track on my iPad doesn’t seem to have any slots to insert any plug ins (Doh!)….

• Drag the height of the mixer up, or put your iPad in portrait mode. You'll see a button that says "+ Audio FX".

• @Tarekith said:
    Just depends on personal preference more than anything I think. Some people like exporting the stereo mix down and starting the mastering in a new project. It helps them just focus on the mastering and not get sidetracked doing last minute arranging or what not. If you're new to mastering your own music, I think is probably a good way to get started to keep you more focused.

Other people (like myself) are fine just doing the mastering as part of the original project file, just using some plug ins on the master channel. The benefit of this way of working is that it's often easier to fix issues you hear in the mix down and not in the mastering phase, so for me "mastering" is usually just a limiter to get the final volume up.

But like I said, either method is valid, it's more about how you like to work more than anything.

I prefer your way for 2 raisons :

1) a good mixing is far more important than the mastering , you need to take time to do a good mixing first.

2) it is very difficult to be good at mastering so if you start with a good mixing to take no risk using only a limiter for the mastering.

The worst case is to try to master like a pro a good mixing putting side chain mastering, you get many chance to destroy your music so it will be worst than no mastering at all.

This what I learnt from sound engineers less is better in mastering the secret is at mixing.

Other advice never mix on the go, do your arrangements track , take fresh air and do your mixing 1 or 2 days later .

If you mix only only to put on a specific streaming site like Soundcloud you don’t need more than the limiter as they got their algorithms to compress a bit your track just know how to set the limiter for this specific online site.

• @ZooBaaDoo said:
    Thank you for taking time can I ask you am I missing something obvious. What appears to be the master track on my iPad doesn’t seem to have any slots to insert any plug ins (Doh!)….

The master track in Logic doesn’t have any plugin slots, but you can use the Stereo Out track instead. It’s the same thing really 😀

• @Tarekith said:
    Drag the height of the mixer up, or put your iPad in portrait mode. You'll see a button that says "+ Audio FX".

Oh for goodness sake!! How stupid can I be. Thank you so much and apologies for my complete lack of brain cells!😂😂 🤜🤛

• @ZooBaaDoo said:

@Tarekith said:
    Drag the height of the mixer up, or put your iPad in portrait mode. You'll see a button that says "+ Audio FX".

Oh for goodness sake!! How stupid can I be. Thank you so much and apologies for my complete lack of brain cells!😂😂 🤜🤛

For mixing in Logic IPad I find more convenient the portait mode really it is a nice trick that someone here tell us after a try.

• @BerlinFx said:

For mixing in Logic IPad I find more convenient the portait mode really it is a nice trick that someone here tell us after a try.

Yes, the portrait mode is one of those really nice surprises in Logic for iPad. Not many iPad DAWs do portrait-mode...

• If it's an EP, I definitely bounce the unmastered versions first. If it's a one-off, then I master in the project itself.

• Really helpful everyone so glad your here to help

• @ZooBaaDoo said:

@Tarekith said:

Hey guys, I just wanted to add, if you still don’t see the button to add an effect on the master, you may need to tap the + button first, and it’s not necessary to rotate your iPad to portrait mode, though you can fit more vertically on the screen this way.

• @Edward_Alexander said:

@ZooBaaDoo said:

@Tarekith said:

Hey guys, I just wanted to add, if you still don’t see the button to add an effect on the master, you may need to tap the + button first, and it’s not necessary to rotate your iPad to portrait mode, though you can fit more vertically on the screen this way.

Awesome. Thanks.

• @Edward_Alexander. Thanks for this. Just to say I’m am still loving Logic. It’s definitely stopped my have to have syndrome EXCEPT I just bought AUBE explorer. Just in case I stray back to any of my previously purchased Auv3’s. There’s no way I can live with trying to remember which developer made which AUv3!. So until Apple sort it it I laid out another £7.99!

• @ZooBaaDoo said:
    @Edward_Alexander. Thanks for this. Just to say I’m am still loving Logic. It’s definitely stopped my have to have syndrome EXCEPT I just bought AUBE explorer. Just in case I stray back to any of my previously purchased Auv3’s. There’s no way I can live with trying to remember which developer made which AUv3!. So until Apple sort it it I laid out another £7.99!

Aube is a good way to set your fav, to know what they do and to put some tag too. I didn’t buy it for Logic but to manage better my AUV3.

• edited May 2023

@ZooBaaDoo said:
    @Edward_Alexander. Thanks for this. Just to say I’m am still loving Logic. It’s definitely stopped my have to have syndrome EXCEPT I just bought AUBE explorer. Just in case I stray back to any of my previously purchased Auv3’s. There’s no way I can live with trying to remember which developer made which AUv3!. So until Apple sort it it I laid out another £7.99!

Indeed! I was also going to mention this somewhere here, that FAC’s AUBE actually comes in really handy for just this; using the keyboard extension in Logic’s AUv3 search bar! Especially since Fred fixed it where all of the horizontal space is used.

Definitely makes things a lot easier when searching for an AUv3 in Logic and have no idea who’s who as far as the developers names go.

• @ZooBaaDoo said:

Me I got Sample Crate for $2.99. I didn't need it before Logic, but best $2.99 I spent. It's like Files, but it previews the samples. A VERY underrated-but-handy tool for the old toolkit.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@ZooBaaDoo said:

Me I got Sample Crate for $2.99. I didn't need it before Logic, but best $2.99 I spent. It's like Files, but it previews the samples. A VERY underrated-but-handy tool for the old toolkit.

I got to sample crate , à life changer as it make really easier my life and pretty simple efficient. I use tags for sample type or style like Vocals , electro Drums, Ambient ….

• If we continue to enjoy Logic Pro it seems apps like the above are going to be very in demand. Ones that add missing features or enhance ease of work rather than (please forgive me if you love these) another bloody synth or reverb. I notice that the non iOS market has no signs of slowing on new soft synths etc though..

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@ZooBaaDoo said:

The best with Sample Crate is the function to put wavefiles in the Crate and then export them as one wavefile as wavechain.
    Take this chainfile into Quicksampler and chop this up - elegant!

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@ZooBaaDoo said:

The best with Sample Crate is the function to put wavefiles in the Crate and then export them as one wavefile as wavechain.

That's amazing! :) I didn't know it could do that. Might be something for the OP-1F users among us to utilise.

• edited June 2023

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@ZooBaaDoo said:

That's amazing! :) I didn't know it could do that. Might be something for the OP-1F users among us to utilise.

Yeah, it’s great - we can’t add more then one sample into Quicksampler at once, so, this is really handy!

I’ve have been collecting audio snippets for more than 15 years, so it’s really fun to browse this snippets and made an instrument in QS…

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@ZooBaaDoo said:

Yeah, it’s great - we can’t add more then one sample into Quicksampler at once, so, this is really handy!

I’ve have been collecting audio snippets for more than 15 years, so it’s really fun to browse this snippets and made an instrument in QS…

That's really cool! :) I love that method. Mate, I need to try that out.