Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoStudio 2 doesn’t show up as MIDI Source in AUM

I’m trying to control some older non-AUV apps from NanoStudio using the External MIDI Tracks. Some Apps pop up in the “MIDI Output Device” list (photo 1) as soon as you open them and you can just select them there, no additional routing/apps required.

But some (in this case SIDTracker 64) don’t show there. So I thought I could route it through AUM. But NS2 doesn’t show up as a Source there, only a Destination. (photo 2)
Tried using the AUM Virtual Source/Destination, kinda works but I’m getting a lot of stuck notes.

Is there a way to get NS2 to appear as its own source in AUM?

Comments

• I’m guilty of having way too many apps that I don’t use, and AUM is one of them. The short answer is I don’t think so. Are you trying to get audio clips into NS2?

“ I’m trying to control some older non-AUV apps from NanoStudio using the External MIDI Tracks.” “ Is there a way to get NS2 to appear as its own source in AUM?”

I’m not really sure what you are attempting, but I will guess using MIDI out to a non-AUv3 app and get audio into NS2. Is that right? What I do is use MIDI out to IAA apps and record the audio into AudioShare, then the audio clips can be imported into a Slate track from AudioShare. I can’t recomend an AUM-centric workflow that doesn’t use AudioShare, but there might be a way. Maybe the Gandalf of NS2 (aka @dendy ) will have a trick in this regard.

• @pricklyrobot said:
    I’m trying to control some older non-AUV apps from NanoStudio using the External MIDI Tracks. Some Apps pop up in the “MIDI Output Device” list (photo 1) as soon as you open them and you can just select them there, no additional routing/apps required.

But some (in this case SIDTracker 64) don’t show there. So I thought I could route it through AUM. But NS2 doesn’t show up as a Source there, only a Destination. (photo 2)
    Tried using the AUM Virtual Source/Destination, kinda works but I’m getting a lot of stuck notes.

Is there a way to get NS2 to appear as its own source in AUM?

Nanostudio does not publish a virtual midi output BUT it sees virtual
    Midi ports. So, choose AUM as the destination from NS2 and the midi will arrive via AUM’s input port.

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

@pricklyrobot said:

I don't see why sending to AUM destination would introduce stuck notes that wouldn't also occur from a virtual port. You may be trying to solve the wrong problem.

But, you might try Streambyter for the routing duties to see if it helps. Start Streambyter standalone. Set the NS2 track to output to it, then select Streambyter as the midi input for Sid Tracker.

• edited May 2023

weird you are getting stucked notes.. works seamlessly for me.. (but fid’t try with sidtracker, just other apos)

i also load NS as IAA instrument inside AUM and enable link start/stop do play in AUM starts playback aldo in NS

But like @wim said, streambyter is probably simpler solution in case you doesn’t need to mix together also audio output from both NS and SidTracker

• OK, I’ll bite. Maybe it’ll give me an excuse to try AUM (which I have had for years). What’s the advantage to this set up @dendy ? I think the OP has the goal of getting audio into NS2 (maybe I’m wrong on that?). Is the idea to use effects (or other) apps in AUM, before the audio is imported into NS2? AUM seems ideal for that, if the task (which I still don’t know) is sound design. It seems unlikely for adding FX to a final mix, unless one is replacing NS2’s mixer with AUM? Just wondering what the “real world” (which we aren’t in) use is.

• edited May 2023

i don’t think his goal is gettimng audio into NS, i think he just wants sent MIDI from NS into SidTracker

• There is no need to add NS2 as an IAA app in AUM to route MIDI from NS2 to AUM. If AUM is open, NS2 will show AUM as a destination to send MIDI to.

• edited May 2023

Well, there is one main problem with whole concept discussed in this thread...

Just tried it - Sid Tracker 64 doesn't support virtual MIDI, it accetps just midi from HW input.

So there is no way how to route any MIDI into Sid Tracker internally from other APP.
    Actually if Sid Tracker was supporting virtual MID (eg. publishes virtual midi IN port) this port would be visible directly in Nanostudio's MIDI OUT device so it will be possible to send notes into Sid Tracker directly.

• @dendy said:
    Well, there is one main problem with whole concept discussed in this thread...

Just tried it - Sid Tracker 64 doesn't support virtual MIDI, it accetps just midi from HW input.

So there is no way how to route any MIDI into Sid Tracker internally from other APP.
    Actually if Sid Tracker was supporting virtual MID (eg. publishes virtual midi IN port) this port would be visible directly in Nanostudio's MIDI OUT device so it will be possible to send notes into Sid Tracker directly.

You’re correct that SidTracker64 won’t show up as a destination in NS2 MIDI Output page. But I can select other Apps for MIDI Input (see photo) within SIDTracker.

For instance if I set up a MIDI Output module in Drambo, then select Drambo as a MIDI Input in SIDTracker it works fine. I can play pads or sequences in Drambo and it triggers sounds in SIDTracker without any apparent issues.

If I instead select AUM as the MIDI Input in SIDTracker (with NS2 set to AUM MIDI Output, and the connection in the AUM matrix), it works but I very quickly start getting stuck notes.

And to clarify, I am just trying to MIDI sequence SIDTracker from NS2. Not trying to do anything with audio.

Guess maybe the answer here is just: learn Drambo;)

• edited May 2023

@pricklyrobot
    You’re correct that SidTracker64 won’t show up as a destination in NS2 MIDI Output page. But I can select other Apps for MIDI Input (see photo) within SIDTracker.

Ah okay, sorry didn't noticed that .. I think then streambyter as suggested @wim is solution ..

Here video, just tried it works like a breeeze ..

Just important step - notice how i disabled "MIDI THRU" in nanostudio - that's because by default Nanostudio get input from ALL available mini ports - which means also Streambyter .. so when you SEND something from NS to Streambyter, it forwards it also back to NS and with thru enabled nanostudio is just forwarding everything from input to output - so boom, feedback loop :) Maybe that caused your "stucked notes" :))

Anyway solution with AUM should work too, but Streambyter is just simpler - you need only run it, nothing else ..

• Streambyter for the win!
    Just tested it, works great.

Many thanks to @wim & @dendy! And cheers to everyone else who chimed in as well.

I’ve got a SammichSID at home, but really liked the idea of having similar sounds available on the go. Glad it turned out to be a quick and easy fix:)

• Maybe this should be marked “Resolved”…?