Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Price Drop on Cubasis

Is it worth it or is Auria bringing midi soon?

Comments

• edited August 2014

I have a thing about Mrs. Goodyear's shoes, which are often very expensive. Let's say $300. Even though she's always telling me how she got a great deal, bought them on sale. Annoys me. Especially as the more she buys the less she wears them. However, every time she wears a pair I imagine the price they cost cut in half. Some of those shoes are still at $300 (a hundred and fifty bucks each!), but others are a nickel a wear nowadays and falling.

• I have Auria and Cubasis. I like the Cubasis interface better.

• That's deep, @johnny!

• It's only worth waiting if you need to pay for packers and movers (which by the way are not working in IAA at the moment-I hope it's a quick fix). Otherwise I say go for it.

• Nice @JohnnyGoodyear! That's what we call a fresh one here. I like how the rest of the people just ignores it.

@Matthew: I have Auria. I just don't want to spend money when I can't even say that is a lack-of-function cause. It's not. I actually think I'll forever work the best with Auria. Just seeing if someone can give a strong point on it being better or more complete than Auria.

• I would say wait for Auria's midi update. Supposedly a new interface is on the way too, and my guess is you'll also see some third party goodies as well.

Cubasis is easy to use and functional, it's just that I don't think it's worth it just for the midi. The $33 you would spend on it could get you at least one, maybe two, really good plug-ins for Auria.

• edited August 2014

Carry on using Auria. Ignorance is bliss...
    Not to mention cheaper in this instance.

• I keep hearing for over a year midi is coming to auria...
    Cubasis gets updates every 2-3 months.
    Well, everyone is free to chose what's best for his/her workflow.

• Sorry, I didn't see this one.
    Posted the sale in older thread.

• From my point of view, I would definitely say it is worth it.

• Thanks guys. I'll think about it. A new interface and new midi or not goodies sounds like a good point in favor of Auria. @Egz. I like your point of view. Looking at the Auria forum doesn't quite count as a workflow. :)

• edited August 2014

In all seriousness there is no one answer. I have both and use both, but I spend 90% of my time in Auria. I think I am just a live/play/wave kind of guy and the look and feel of Auria (for me), along with its plug-ins which are the best in my opinion, help me get where I want to go (however slowly :).

On the other hand I have a good friend/professional musician in town who wouldn't look at Auria because of its lack of Midi. For him the ability to play Thumbjam in Cubasis with Midi is the best thing about iOS which he otherwise considers as a fun set of toys, not professional kit compared to his desktop machinery. He would also agree that he keeps terrible time and the idea of being able to 'fix' things with Midi is the same USP to him that the plug-ins are to me.

If you can afford it, buy it. If you can't, write your next good song anyway.

• I like what you said. I'm not going to buy it. Instead I'll go write my next good song.

• I'm using Beatmaker 2 and loving it, should I get Cubasis or just chill it and splash out on the bm3 if it ever comes out. Appoholic in me is far from dormant.

• Yes. I was meaning to ask. When is Beatmaker 3 coming out?

• An email from Steinberg I received today says the sale lasts until Sept 6th, so plenty of time to mull it over.

@supadom You must really need a fix, as you've been one of the biggest proponents of BM2. What about Cubasis interests you? If I remember correctly, you were rather disappointed with Auria.

• edited August 2014

Yes it's true. With Auria was more of a first touch disappointment. I was welcomed with low memory/CPU pop up from the word go. Maybe because my expectations were quite high at this price I maybe spent a half a day trying to make it work and basically gave up. Cubasis sounds like home because I've used cubasis/reason combo extensively a good few years back. The layout is just how I imagine a daw to be so it would be like going back to mama in the same way like some people have the mpc workflow in their DNA.

On the other hand, because the money is tight I'm weighing things up between this and possibly getting some more hardware (another mixer, condenser mic or apc key25) etc., and since I'm more than happy with BM2 for my static recording needs (as opposed to live looping) it seems like an unnecessary pleasure. Also bm2's effects are a bit of a weak link as they a bit (shall I use this word?) pro-sumer ;)

• Buy hardware instead of cubasis if you need hardware. That condenser will be ios14 compatible!

• And re-sellable if the wolf should come by your door...

• I vote get it. This is a decent price if you're really curious. While I've experienced lots of bugs and instability obviously many other users here are not experiencing that. IAA effects. Works great with hardware I am told. I couldn't resist at full price.

If you've just programmed 50 EWQL/ NI instruments into BM2 and you're used to everything just working on iPad 2 Cubasis can seem like a drop off in functionality but based on what I've seen of @supadom's workflow Cubasis might be ideal. If not, at least it wasn't full price

2 cents, cheers

• Just gave in myself and got it. As a former Cubase/Reason user myself there are definite things that 'make sense'. I really like Auria, found Beatmaker odd and definitely not great effects, but it is great to use midi + automation in a workflow that ... flows. Don't know if it's useful in the end but it's certainly fun while I wait for midi to arrive in Auria.

• I find it extremely worth it at full price so a price reduction would be an easy tes for me. I love the Cubasis ease of use and fun factor as well.

• Damn, there are so many good posts in this thread. Starts with the amazing shoes analogy and just keeps hitting. 'instead I'll go write my next good song', 'cheaper in this instance', 'dare I say it... pro-sumer', 'compatible with ios14'... It was a plus-1-athon.

I don't think I can resist at the discounted price — Cubasis just seems buttery. I've grown to enjoy BM2; I love the chop lab, drum sampler and am already comfortable with NanoStudio's sequencer. But, thanks to the post about the sale going on until the 6th, I'm going to hedge a bit.

• edited August 2014

@supadom said:

possibly getting some more hardware (another mixer, condenser mic ...

Have you considered a large diaphragm dynamic like the Heil PR-40, EV RE-20 or the Shure SM-7? I, obviously, don't know your plan for a condenser but from seeing your live looping action I think you'd be really happy with any of those. They sound especially great on vocals, drums and guitar amps - plus, you can use them with live amps in the room because they're dynamic vs condensers (which will likely feedback to all hell).

• I already have 3 condensers and an old sennheiser (that I'm using on vocals, which is like beta58. It was just a fancy idea as I've been recently miking up my drumkit and thought of a second overhead. The shitty sound that I get on vocals in the videos comes from ampkit which I'm currently using for both guitar and the vocals. I've used Magellan's FX and 2 condensers on the last video and there's hell of a difference. Unfortunately that leaves the guitar real shit sounding.

On that note, does anyone know of a decent guitar amp modeling stomp box that sounds good through a pa? I recently got a zoom ms50g and it sounds terrible. I've heard good thinks about line6 but since I really dislike their amplifiers I didn't trust the make.

• @supadom - My Variax Line 6 guitar sounds awesome; one guitar becomes becomes 20+ guitars. You can go from a Strat to a Gibson or a jumbo acoustic just like that. There are Strats that come with the Line 6 amp modelling technology built in and they are expensive and sound super wicked. I don't own a line 6 modelling amp but some of the sounds I've heard from their latest AMPLIFi Tones are really really good.

• I was lucky enough to get both Auria (and Cubasis I think) at half price but paid full price for BM2. Coming from a desktop DAW (Sonar, Reaper), BM2 is a bit more convoluted to me but still very capable once you get around the unusual interface. Still I prefer Cubasis with its MIDI and audio capability to get songs nearly finished before exporting them into Auria for refinement with the excellent plugins. On topic, Cubasis is a great deal especially at a discounted price.

@FrankieJay, I can appreciate the Variax line of guitars. I bought a bottom line 300 at sale price years ago and cannibalized the guts and transplanted them into a Ibanez RGR 412EXFM guitar with a wireless Guitar Bug and Roland GK-3 to be used with a Roland GR-20. So many different tones available that its almost too hard to choose just one.

The main reason I bought an iPad was because my Line 6 POD XT died and figured I would give the virtual amps a try instead of buying another dedicated hardware for amp sims. I am glad I did because of all of the great sims, synths, utilities, etc. that I can use in a mobile environment.

Kinda long winded but thought I' share a few thoughts. Looking forward to when Auria gets MIDI. I'll definitely be one of the first to buy the IAP.

• I just had an idea to get an old iphone and use that as a amp sim. Would have done it via the ipad but probably not enough ram to carry all of those effects I use for looping.

• Have you considered a large diaphragm dynamic like the Heil PR-40, EV RE-20 or the Shure SM-7?

We used an sm7 on vocals during our recording sessions this summer, easily the best vocal sounds we've ever gotten, so easy to mix. I will get one eventually.

Also, you can use condensers live, just make sure you do your gain staging correctly and feedback isn't an issue. However , because typically they are more sensitive than dynamics, prepare to have less isolation. That's not necessarily bad, it's just something to know and work with.

• @supadom said:

I already have 3 condensers and an old sennheiser (that I'm using on vocals, which is like beta58. It was just a fancy idea as I've been recently miking up my drumkit and thought of a second overhead.

Three condensers can work wonderfully for a regular 5 piece drum kit. Check out the 'Glyn Johns Method' for micing if you haven't already. Adding a LDD as a close mic on snare or kick and you will want to hump your own leg.

On that note, does anyone know of a decent guitar amp modeling stomp box that sounds good through a pa?

You might see if you can sniff out an older model Boss GT something or other. The 5 and 3 should be really cheap by now. I used a GT3 live for years and it did me well. I mostly use my iphone these days though. :) JamUp, AUFX and Echolab all run wonderfully on it. I haven't worked out MIDI+Audio for foot control yet though (unless I use the ampkit link via the headphone jack for audio which has its own problems).