Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Klevgrand - Richter (Tectonic Compressor)

out now

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id6449489457

Features

• Superheavy compression with minimal unwanted artifacts
  • Intuitive Transients and Amount dials
  • Real time graph visualization
  • Tonal control
  • Three-step boost switch
  • Input trim control
  • Makeup gain, Dry/Wet mix and Output control

Comments

• A compressor beyond the ordinary
    Richter is a tectonic compressor, designed to achieve heavy compression with a minimal amount of artifacts. It is the result of many years of experimenting in the Klevgrand labs. Normally a heavily compressed audio signal gets distorted, often with a nasty "zipper noise" artifact because of how the internal envelope followers are engineered. The experiments led to a brand new approach resulting in a compressor that empowers you to squeeze every bit of sonic perfection out of your tracks. Use it for meaty mixes, punchy drums or smooth, transparent vocal tracks.

Due to how the algorithm is designed, there are a few unconventional controls to tame Richter. First of all: one single parameter controls how much compression will get applied. The other (important) parameter controls how the internal envelope follower will react to transients vs continuous/lasting sounds. These two parameters make Richter a highly intuitive compressor where the user quickly will be able to dial in the wanted sound. On top of that there’s a boost switch that literally makes the amount span go to eleven. And, as the name suggests, earthquake levels are possible.

• purchased

.. especially when it is klevgrand.

• Is there a demo out yet?

• £4.99 That sounds like a decent price. I’m in

• Quick Demo on Drums with Beat Scholar:

https://youtube.com/shorts/ygjQkZEn4Zc

• Is this only for extreme stuff or do I misinterpret this? The short demo doesn’t really make things clear. Looks good, not a bad price either.

• I wouldn’t call it a mangler like the video says - but it’s doing something that is very acceptable to the sound. It seems to allow you to hear more of the background chaos that you are creating that might otherwise be missed. Certainly helps Pure Acid chirp along nicely. It’s a keeper I think.

• @Slush said:
    Is this only for extreme stuff or do I misinterpret this? The short demo doesn’t really make things clear. Looks good, not a bad price either.

I don’t have the time or interest to dive deep into this - compressors are not very important for me personally and I maybe have a long spoken vid on another app I want to get out today. Just that someone asked for a demo and I thought I would put a quick one up. The main thing I would say that demo shows is that you can push it pretty hard while getting still a crisp treble and pretty fat bass. Personally I reckon Knock is more up my street, or I might just use Klevgrand Grand Finale on the master, which I really like a lot.

• @robosardine said:
    I wouldn’t call it a mangler like the video says - but it’s doing something that is very acceptable to the sound. It seems to allow you to hear more of the background chaos that you are creating that might otherwise be missed. Certainly helps Pure Acid chirp along nicely. It’s a keeper I think.

Wouldn’t call it a mangler really either. If you want super dirty, Knock is definitely the way. This seems to be in some middle ground territory

• I dunno what Klevgrand’s doing these days. Pretty aimless overall hodgepodge the last few years. I’d rather have AU Kuvert, Roverb, Vandelay. Not the highest quality effects in retrospect, they’ve upped their DSP game, but I’d rather bathe in nostalgia than mess with the stuff they’ve been putting out.

• And good lord, listen to me. Y’all stop buying compressors because they’re cheap! You don’t need more than 2, tops.

• David Gilmour disagrees.

• @oat_phipps said:
    And good lord, listen to me. Y’all stop buying compressors because they’re cheap! You don’t need more than 2, tops.

I disagree. I’d say 4 is a good number.

-a fast, aggressive one (1176 style)
    -a slow, fat one (LA2A)
    -a drum bus compressor (I’m partial to the API2500)
    -a mix bus compressor (vari-mu or SSL style depending on the genre).

• @mtenk said:

@oat_phipps said:
    And good lord, listen to me. Y’all stop buying compressors because they’re cheap! You don’t need more than 2, tops.

-a slow, fat one (LA2A)

Or just use the one in Logic. 😉 That one covers multiple compression types lol!

• @Gavinski said:

@Slush said:
    Is this only for extreme stuff or do I misinterpret this? The short demo doesn’t really make things clear. Looks good, not a bad price either.

I don’t have the time or interest to dive deep into this - compressors are not very important for me personally and I maybe have a long spoken vid on another app I want to get out today. Just that someone asked for a demo and I thought I would put a quick one up. The main thing I would say that demo shows is that you can push it pretty hard while getting still a crisp treble and pretty fat bass. Personally I reckon Knock is more up my street, or I might just use Klevgrand Grand Finale on the master, which I really like a lot.

I saw later on you had posted a demo as well, I only saw the Klevgrand one when I posted. :) Thanks🙏🏻

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@mtenk said:

@oat_phipps said:

-a slow, fat one (LA2A)

Or just use the one in Logic. 😉 That one covers multiple compression types lol!

If you use logic. 😉

• thank you to devs that provide us options. thank you to the YouTube creators who provide demos. thank you to users who work with what they have and happy jammin.

• Are zone compressors like tb. For adding dynamics to a zone. Which might be the highest level track and more susseptable to dynamic loss when reducing lufs.

So you add dynamics by zone?

• edited May 2023

Did few test on various materials (drums and melodic stuff) and love it !! Instantly goes to my top 2 most usable AUv3 compressors together with Korvpressor. Excellent tool …

• Why no sidechain.

Just asking for knowledge.

• It reminds me a little of medusa but is super simple, I like simple

• And I thought they had done some sort of collaboration with Max Richter… shame they didn’t. 😉

• edited May 2023

I don't really understand what this company is doing either. In case they're not aware, Logic Pro is available on iPadOS now and the amount of pro-level production tools available now has risen considerably. Last thing I bought was Fosfat and I have used it on a total of zero projects to date.

There's still room for this company to take advantage of software they make which is not offered by anyone else, such as... Pipa. How about creating a whole lot more voices for that app and make them individual in-app purchases? I'd love to see that happen.

On the plus side of things, Richter is only $4.99 for it's introductory price on iOS/iPadOS (which is pretty cheap) and $29.99 on desktop (which should be the regular price and not the sale price for a compressor these days).

EDIT: I tested Richter out on a guitar and a drum track and used in several different combinations it actually is quite good. Helped bring out more detail and resulted in less of a muffled sound than compression and transient plugins alone. I guess I'll be getting this... LOL.

And it should be noted that according to the user's manual, Richter adds 13 ms of latency.

• edited May 2023

If this is using a different detection circuit as it claims then it might be worth checking out from a compression curiosity point of view. I expect the difference in actual sound to all the other compressors we have available will probably be quite subtle though.

• @gusgranite said:
    If this is using a different detection circuit as it claims then it might be worth checking out from a compression curiosity point of view. I expect the difference in actually sound to all the other compressors we have available will probably be quite subtle though.

It is subtle, but it can also be quite obvious if you really crank it up.

• @NeuM said:
    I don't really understand what this company is doing either. In case they're not aware, Logic Pro is available on iPadOS now and the amount of pro-level production tools available now has risen considerably. Last thing I bought was Fosfat and I have used it on a total of zero projects to date.

Thant's great, they are probably aiming to users who don't give a f**k about Logic :-D

Also such plugin needs more than one week of work so i guess when they started nobody from them had clue about Logic comming.

Also even IF i would use Logic from some weird reason, i would always prefer third party plugins before horribly uninspiring visual smog of Logic iPad stock plugins UI ..

EDIT: I tested Richter out on a guitar and a drum track and used in several different combinations it actually is quite good. Helped bring out more detail and resulted in less of a muffled sound than compression and transient plugins alone. I guess I'll be getting this... LOL.

This is it. On desktop you have Logic, Live, Cubase, Studio One, Fruity Loops, Reason, ... multitude of full blown full featured DAWS with tongs of superb stock plugins.

Yet still there is market big enough for third party plugins.

Always will be.

• It can make a good difference that I can’t quite put my finger on - but the remove/replace/remove/replace test tells me I want it replaced more often than removed.

• I’ve just seen that this is a 60% off introductory price. It is cheap at the price I would say. At the same time how many coffees can a person give up?
    I’m glad I don’t like coffee - it’s like getting a free app every other day.