Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Logic Pro - project don’t open anymore - lost??

edited May 2023 in Logic Pro

I was moving all parts to rearrange song, moving also tempo track automation. Then Logic UI started to freeze and crashed to iPad home screen. Since then, I can’t open the project anymore, it’s stucked on loading pop up. Even after iPad reboot.

Any idea to restore or repair this project?

That’s not good :'(

It was my small project :s

Comments

• edited May 2023

I was able to recover a working file from yesterday on my iPhone iCloud, it is working on iPad after Airdrop.

I was able after making a backup to reproduce the issue. Each time I move all regions back and forth on the timeline in song « First 3 », allowing automation data to be moved too, the process will take more time each time, with Logic UI becoming more and more unresponsive each time. See on screenshot the « First 2 » backup file being 1,5 Mo and « First 3 » being 330 Mo. It’s the same song I only moved regions several times in bigger file. It doesn’t open anymore and is as « dead » or corrupted as initial file « First » which is BTW 88.9 Mo so much more than «First 2 » from iPhone (its again the exactly same song with midi only, no audio, nearly same arrangement).

Do backups while creating/producing waiting for app maturity!!!

• Perhaps waiting until the very end (after the arrangement and mix are finalized) to add automation would be advisable?

• edited May 2023

@NeuM said:
    Perhaps waiting until the very end (after the arrangement and mix are finalized) to add automation would be advisable?

Not when (region) automation are true part of the sound and creation process. Logic should not do that, it’s a bug. Ask an Ableton Live user to not use clip enveloppes to make their sound…

• What kind of automation is going on in the file?

• edited May 2023

@NeuM said:
    What kind of automation is going on in the file?

Only three: BLEASS delay feedback and dry/wet mix, and Logic internal Bit crusher drive. All are regions automations. Nothing complex really.

• edited May 2023

Edit: BLEASS automations are on track, as AUV3 can’t be automated in region view by finger in real-time, like via Logic track automation slider (I don’t want to create them with pencil tool).

• edited May 2023

iPad M1 11" 8 Go 256 Go (100 Go free space) iPadOS 16.5

• edited May 2023

Could you zoom in on that keys automation information? I'm seeing an extraordinary amount of data there, all crammed into the tracks. That might be the problem? Is it possible to decrease the amount of automation data collected and still achieve the same results?

• @NeuM said:
    Could you zoom in on that keys automation information? I'm seeing an extraordinary amount of data there, all crammed into the tracks. That might be the problem? Is it possible to decrease the amount of automation data collected and still achieve the same results?

• edited May 2023

Don’t seem to be worst that what I usually do in CB3.

• edited May 2023

That is so weird I have the same issue with Cubasis 3 :#

The song file become bigger (X2 on each all clips move) and CB3 becomes unresponsive after moving all clips more or less x10 and crash. The song can be reopened but if I move all parts CB3 will freeze immediately.

This is not the Number 1 scenario but I can eventually try various arrangements on the timeline with a song full of small automations like this, so this can lead to issues and I can lost a x hours work project. I have to try with Ableton Live too in arrangement View, that must be iPad specific. Perhaps copying Logic regions is better than moving them? And making song file variant rather than moving too much things? I can’t change that automation workflow, I need movement in my sound from start.

• edited May 2023

With no track automations data there is no issue (even if keeping drive automation in region). Freezing tracks don’t allow to move regions so it’s not a good workaround. I can use bounce in place. Using only internal effect/region automation will prevent from that issue if needed, but I really like/need some of my AUV3 effects. Very often recording everything as audio is the best way of doing things with my kind of workflow. On iOS I used for years loopers or apps like Blocs wave with Audiobus during creation process, then arranging audio stems in GarageBand to make full songs. Power is there on M1 or my 14 Pro max, stability… almost. A bit scary needing to don’t forget those kind of limitations which can lead to disasters. A bit freedom killing unfortunately… I even prefer stronger limitations than unreliability, it’s a bit frustrating. Even if I know is will continue to learn how to use Logic for now.

• edited May 2023

While managing to find a not crashing workflow, using bounce to track on all 4 tracks, disabling original midi tracks and moving them on end of tracks list to organize them: when moving to bottom 4th pad track, again Logic is freezing and crashing everytime. Top stability there!!!! It was my fear, is Apple really that better than other iOS music apps devs with its subscription plan?

The only 100% stable music app for me is AUM, even much better than desktop software, this is why it’s the perfect music live app. But it’s not a DAW. No software is perfect, but iOS DAWS including CB3, BM3 and now Logic are not as stable and reliable as desktop stuff. Again I’m troubleshooting instead of making music, too lazy this time for reporting… At least indie devs listen and fix usually fast. Some years ago I’ve reported GarageBand issues to Apple devs, took one year and a half to get an answer which was basically useless questions about the issues encountered. Most of them are still there BTW.

Being able to create freely without worrying about losing my work is not asking a lot, just basic requirement IMO.

• In before "Why I left Logic Pro for iPad". A new series of threads, only on Audiobus.

• Definite bug…and serious because of potential for data loss.

• In Logic on desktop there is an option to thin out the MIDI controller data, keeping the same shapes but deleting unnecessary points. I don't know, does Logic for iPad have that function?

• Could be an iCloud issues as well…
    …for maximum stability keep projects on device and do manual backups to iCloud.

• I've also encountered quite a few weird and annoying bugs, as well as occasional crashes. It's early days. let's hope that Apple fix the issues.

One annoying niggle I've just had this morning: if I create a new empty audio track in the arranger using the plus icon, then assign the input of that track to bus 1 (or whatever bus isn't being used yet), then try and assign the output of another audio channel to that bus, it doesn't work, the audio doesn't get sent.

So it seems the only way you can create a bus is in the Mixer, with the "create new bus" option in the channel outputs, rather than freely assign input and oputputs to existing channels. Unless I'm missing something this doesn't seem all that flexible.

• @richardyot said:
    I've also encountered quite a few weird and annoying bugs, as well as occasional crashes. It's early days. let's hope that Apple fix the issues.

One annoying niggle I've just had this morning: if I create a new empty audio track in the arranger using the plus icon, then assign the input of that track to bus 1 (or whatever bus isn't being used yet), then try and assign the output of another audio channel to that bus, it doesn't work, the audio doesn't get sent.

So it seems the only way you can create a bus is in the Mixer, with the "create new bus" option in the channel outputs, rather than freely assign input and oputputs to existing channels. Unless I'm missing something this doesn't seem all that flexible.

That remenber when I was a trainee in a pro studio it was the way to create a bus is in the Mixer going to harware , at this time of Tascam big tapes recorders. All was hardware in 1984.

• @Samu said:
    Could be an iCloud issues as well…
    …for maximum stability keep projects on device and do manual backups to iCloud.

The issue is still there with project in iPad local folder.

• Update: Cubasis 3 has the same issue with automation data but less prone to crash, mostly become unresponsive for a moment but less longer than Logic, and you can create more data and move/copy actions before having issues so margin is better.

• edited May 2023

@Janosax said:
    Update: Cubasis 3 has the same issue with automation data but less prone to crash, mostly become unresponsive for a moment but less longer than Logic, and you can create more data and move/copy actions before having issues so margin is better.

I wonder if it's a memory issue? Maybe the automation consumes a lot of RAM.

You can check in Logic, if you expose the CPU meter and then tap it, it will show memory usage.

• edited May 2023

@richardyot said:

@Janosax said:
    Update: Cubasis 3 has the same issue with automation data but less prone to crash, mostly become unresponsive for a moment but less longer than Logic, and you can create more data and move/copy actions before having issues so margin is better.

I wonder if it's a memory issue? Maybe the automation consumes a lot of RAM.

You can check in Logic, if you expose the CPU meter and then tap it, it will show memory usage.

Here Logic is already frozen after 6 « all regions movements » and memory usage is quite low.

• Any other methods to repair a corrupt Logic file? I don’t have an iCloud backup (it’s been full with photos forever - really should clean that up some time) and don’t have a Mac (only PCs). Guessing I’m SOL. Tried to recreate the track last night but I can’t get it to sound half as good!