Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

WOW Synths in Logic Pro iPad!

So many of you on this forum are so familiar with Logic, but me, I’m like an explorer from the 16th century! So I just set up a project called Synths and set up tracks for each and every instrument in Logic so I could explore them using just the default patch in each. Crikey these instruments represent a lifetimes work! Take just sculpture for example; there area acres of pages to scroll and things to adjust. All manner of possibilities? As a newbie I’m pointing out to any others in my position that this is way more than I bargained for or could ever use. Bear in mind I had already built a fine collection of AUv3 instruments. Before it was released a forum member advised I stay in Logic for a while to see if I need to add anything. Now I know why. Every day I like it more and more…I know I speak for many in saying we had to buy and explore other ways of making our music on the iPad, but for me if this had hit in 2020 I would literally have saved hundreds of £’s.

Comments

• yeah it’s true…just about all the plugins and synths are world class and there are a plethora of them

• @ZooBaaDoo said:
    So many of you on this forum are so familiar with Logic, but me, I’m like an explorer from the 16th century! So I just set up a project called Synths and set up tracks for each and every instrument in Logic so I could explore them using just the default patch in each. Crikey these instruments represent a lifetimes work! Take just sculpture for example; there area acres of pages to scroll and things to adjust. All manner of possibilities? As a newbie I’m pointing out to any others in my position that this is way more than I bargained for or could ever use. Bear in mind I had already built a fine collection of AUv3 instruments. Before it was released a forum member advised I stay in Logic for a while to see if I need to add anything. Now I know why. Every day I like it more and more…I know I speak for many in saying we had to buy and explore other ways of making our music on the iPad, but for me if this had hit in 2020 I would literally have saved hundreds of £’s.

I was definitely one of those who suggested holding off buying until you get a bit familiar with Logic. Not because there aren't plugins that won't suit you better, or that are, actually, objectively better for certain tasks. But holding off for a while, will at least allow you to identify short-falls and needs, which should help you save money and time.

While I would love to be in your position, with perfect hindsight, i have bought far too many things. To not use them now, would be a hideous waste. More than that, there're still things (very few) that I'd like to add, that achieve different things. It would be a shame to cut yourself off from all of the different available 3rd-party options, but maybe having such a solid foundation will help avoid redundancies.

Have fun!

• @ZooBaaDoo said:

You are wise net step is to est AUv3 apps you like and keep only few selected apps synth that can add something, some good instruments modeled if possible like in GeoShred and the best effects that meet pro standard or something that will add a sound signature compare to FX LP ios stock plugins.

I try 2 apps I like a lot that crash a bit but as the dev care about them to fix quickly I keep them.

• edited May 2023

Yeah logic stock plugins are stellar .. one of my biggest dissapoontments was they didn’t invested into some good UI designer to make some better UI for them in ipad version of logic, what is there is just horrible, random rows of knobs and dropdown menus :-(

• @dendy said:
    Yeah logic stock plugins are stellar .. one of my biggest dissapoontments was they didn’t invested into some good UI designer to make some better UI for them in ipad version of logic, what is there is just horrible, random rows of knobs and dropdown menus :-(

I’m lucky in that I’m coming to them new. Even I can clearly tell the UI could be better but the horrible randomness makes me smile as I tweak and play!

• I haven't even scratched the surface with Logic Pro, lol. I haven't been creative much the past week since I'm still learning Logic Pro. Yesterday when I finally did become creative and made my Drone Day piece, I used AUM with which I'm already familiar. I did master with Logic Pro instead of Cubasis, but today I'm just going to sit down and explore more what Logic Pro has in it. :)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    I haven't even scratched the surface with Logic Pro, lol. I haven't been creative much the past week since I'm still learning Logic Pro. Yesterday when I finally did become creative and made my Drone Day piece, I used AUM with which I'm already familiar. I did master with Logic Pro instead of Cubasis, but today I'm just going to sit down and explore more what Logic Pro has in it. :)

First tracks done yet going to mixing and mastering that I need to learn to polish them only using stock plugins and my own homemade sample library (particularly as I got good samples homemade cooked and lack of vocals in LP iOS)

• @BerlinFx said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    I haven't even scratched the surface with Logic Pro, lol. I haven't been creative much the past week since I'm still learning Logic Pro. Yesterday when I finally did become creative and made my Drone Day piece, I used AUM with which I'm already familiar. I did master with Logic Pro instead of Cubasis, but today I'm just going to sit down and explore more what Logic Pro has in it. :)

First tracks done yet going to mixing and mastering that I need to learn to polish them only using stock plugins and my own homemade sample library (particularly as I got good samples homemade cooked and lack of vocals in LP iOS)

Fun. :) I have yet to explore so many things in Logic Pro, lol. But at least I could master. That said, I'm not sure if Logic Pro has a tape emulation plugin in it yet, which would eliminate the need for lo-fi-af, but I do know I can't live without my RX950 Auv3 when it comes to mastering.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@BerlinFx said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Fun. :) I have yet to explore so many things in Logic Pro, lol. But at least I could master. That said, I'm not sure if Logic Pro has a tape emulation plugin in it yet, which would eliminate the need for lo-fi-af, but I do know I can't live without my RX950 Auv3 when it comes to mastering.

I saw a tape emulation fx , didn’t use it. I hope that I not wrong so many Fx boxes.

• Yeah, it's pretty clear that some recent releases that came out just before logic were rush-rekessed due to the devs realising that they would potentially have fewer of they released after Logic. There's enough in Logic to keep everyone busy for years, it seems

• @Gavinski said:
    Yeah, it's pretty clear that some recent releases that came out just before logic were rush-rekessed due to the devs realising that they would potentially have fewer of they released after Logic. There's enough in Logic to keep everyone busy for years, it seems

Funny I was thinking the same with such a rush, now it is not the right time to release a new app and it must really offer far more than before. If Apple reach 50 % or over of market iOS Daw it will be difficult for many dev, not all guys are Brambos talent and Apple offer golden proposal to hire such iOS dev even they can carryon to update their apps done before joining Apple.

• @BerlinFx said:

@Gavinski said:
    Yeah, it's pretty clear that some recent releases that came out just before logic were rush-rekessed due to the devs realising that they would potentially have fewer of they released after Logic. There's enough in Logic to keep everyone busy for years, it seems

Funny I was thinking the same with such a rush, now it is not the right time to release a new app and it must really offer far more than before. If Apple reach 50 % or over of market iOS Daw it will be difficult for many dev, not all guys are Brambos talent and Apple offer golden proposal to hire such iOS dev even they can carryon to update their apps done before joining Apple.

I imagine the number of indie ios devs hired by Apple is tiny, no? There's the Samplr guy, is there anyone else?

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    That said, I'm not sure if Logic Pro has a tape emulation plugin in it yet

No...But yeah!

• @BerlinFx said:

@Gavinski said:

I’m sure none of us are hard hearted enough to want developers to go under. But I say to any naysayers on Logic for many of us it has turned out to be the game changer we thought it might be. If you look at the Mac side of things so many people make their release ready tracks on free and I mean free not cracked software. In fact you can cover most bases on software from the front of a single magazine. Then there’s others who just stick to hardwear and anything in box is the devils work. Plenty of choice for peeps out there. But now my iOS world just got a lot bigger that’s for sure!

• @dendy said:

This. I hope these are just placeholder UIs until they have some more dev cycles to put the final ones in place, whether those look like the desktop version or something new.

I think Sculpture is probably the most pronounced example. I love designing my own sounds. And I feel like I have a pretty strong grasp on the concepts of physical modeling synthesis in general. But as someone who has never used the desktop version of the synth, it’s very difficult for me to make heads or tails of this thing. I feel lost in a sea of same-y looking knobs, and the UI does nothing to inform about the signal flow.

I’m sure RTFM will help some but it’s hard to even be inspired to do that.

• @ZooBaaDoo said:

@BerlinFx said:

@Gavinski said:

I’m sure none of us are hard hearted enough to want developers to go under. But I say to any naysayers on Logic for many of us it has turned out to be the game changer we thought it might be. If you look at the Mac side of things so many people make their release ready tracks on free and I mean free not cracked software. In fact you can cover most bases on software from the front of a single magazine. Then there’s others who just stick to hardwear and anything in box is the devils work. Plenty of choice for peeps out there. But now my iOS world just got a lot bigger that’s for sure!

I don’t want dev to go under for sure but they are the first to know that the game change in iOS. I want everybody happy but this is the market that decide not me…not us…

• @Gavinski said:

@BerlinFx said:

@Gavinski said:

I imagine the number of indie ios devs hired by Apple is tiny, no? There's the Samplr guy, is there anyone else?

Not at all according to my sources they are mad to find good audio dev , they are in competition with other company too, seems they plan to hire nearly hundred ones.

• @SuperNiCd said:
    I feel lost in a sea of same-y looking knobs, and the UI does nothing to inform about the signal flow.

These new (G)UI are a complete UX failure, and I can see zero reason for it having been done this way.

• @el_bo said:

@SuperNiCd said:
    I feel lost in a sea of same-y looking knobs, and the UI does nothing to inform about the signal flow.

These new (G)UI are a complete UX failure, and I can see zero reason for it having been done this way.

Some rumblings that the devs have been tasked to also make Logic pro/ GB run on realityOS if so then probably just stretched too thin

• @el_bo said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

No...But yeah!

Yeah the output stage of the vintage EQs is nice. Run the eq flat to just get the mojo.

There are obviously auv3s to get tape emulation — ChowTapeModel is free for example.

• @klownshed said:

@el_bo said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

No...But yeah!

Yeah the output stage of the vintage EQs is nice. Run the eq flat to just get the mojo.

There are obviously auv3s to get tape emulation — ChowTapeModel is free for example.

Yep I know about those tape emulation auv3s. I was just pondering about internal plugs. Vintage EQs sound promising. :)

• @klownshed said:

@el_bo said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

No...But yeah!

It is a bit like in a real physical studio you need physical FX boxes racks to get different results even if you got all in a Daw so I see a bit like that AUV3 selection of great FX to use in iOS. You need few outside AUv3 but the best you are used to use regularly.

• My personal counter experience: Not so much wow, as meh. I've been using Logic since late nineties. Sculpture is the highlight I think, as an extremely fully featured physical modeling synth, that even though it has an un-designed interface on iOS that's still way better than the atrocious (IMHO) retrofuturistic whatever that was that was applied on the desktop version in peak era bevelled shiny UI components. The rest of the synths I find to be quite meh relative to the best that is around us, I can easily live without all of them, though I have used them on records. But of course full Alchemy on desktop is amazing, but they didn't bring that to iOS for whatever reason. Using the iPad then, with Logic Pro being installed, I prefer Tera Pro, Synthmaster 2, FRMS, Quanta, Omega, and Animoog as examples, than the synths in Logic, with the exception of Sculpture, which I would definitely add to those with. Ignoring clones that I also like (Tal Uno etc).... I haven't pulled the trigger on Plasmonic on desktop, I'd love to see that on iOS, that would probably replace Sculpture for me. If I'm on desktop I'd be more likely to use Pigments and Phase Plant and clones like the Arturia and GForce.

• @realdawei said:

@el_bo said:

@SuperNiCd said:

Some rumblings that the devs have been tasked to also make Logic pro/ GB run on realityOS if so then probably just stretched too thin

Stretched too thin in terms of human or computer resources? Either way, I'm not sure it would account for some of the decisions made and the general inconsistency.

• @el_bo said:

@SuperNiCd said:

Yep. Totally uninspiring to look at and therefore use - regardless of how great they might sound. I’d even prefer the ugly desktop Ford Focus dashboard designs to these ‘let’s not bother’ UI’s.

Give me the joy of playing Synthscaper or Aparillo any day of the week. You’d have to prise my existing apps out of my cold, dead hands.

• @el_bo said:

@realdawei said:

@el_bo said:

@SuperNiCd said:

Stretched too thin in terms of human or computer resources? Either way, I'm not sure it would account for some of the decisions made and the general inconsistency.

UI designers or perhaps there’s only a couple on that team who have to attempt to balance negotiate between the historically insular Logic team and the overbearing UX team that took over when mr Ive got oversight over SW and HW design — been chaos over since

• @SuperNiCd
    feel lost in a sea of same-y looking knobs, and the UI does nothing to inform about the signal flow.

this exactly .. i consider myself as very experienced sound designer but this is just unusable for me .. maximum use case is to browse some presets and tweak cutoff (if you find it lol)

• @monz0id said:

@el_bo said:

@SuperNiCd said:

Yep. Totally uninspiring to look at and therefore use - regardless of how great they might sound. I’d even prefer the ugly desktop Ford Focus dashboard designs to these ‘let’s not bother’ UI’s.

Give me the joy of playing Synthscaper or Aparillo any day of the week. You’d have to prise my existing apps out of my cold, dead hands.

Love Aparillo at least a good creative inspiring apps like Hilda not like hundreds of not useful synth or apps that crowded the AppStore.

As you take your decision not to subscribe to Logic iOS is it so important for you how is the GUI ? I decided to subscribe yearly and I take it as it is.

Perhaps this is just a temporary GUI and it will be improved ?

I see LP iOS as more a work in progress and I am happy to have created some tracks and it make me creative After many hours but I wasn’t expecting to handle it in few hours nor I was expecting that it make me now more creative in my music. So I hadn’t waste my time at all.

The great thing is when you are not expecting you appreciate what you get.

• I don’t mind the simple UI, although I do agree the iPad versions are a bit uninspiring. However they are also mostly quite easy to navigate and they sound pretty good! After spending an evening trying to learn Sculpture I then loaded up the Mac version and thought wtf is that!?

My main factor now is gonna be cross compatibility between iPad and Mac versions so that means sticking to built in synths and those they transfer well on shared projects. So far for AUs that’s Synthmaster 2 and Twin 3 where any presets I make just sync over nice and easy.

Hopefully as Apple updates it, better UIs will follow - perhaps and hopefully on both versions as neither are great.

• I think UI hardly every change. Manuals are written, tutorials published with screenshots etc. so those new “designs” will be there until the end of time 👀

With all that said I’m more of a preset person anyway so I’m enjoying the preset browser and the one or two controls surfaced in the plugin tiles