Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

(Solved) Transpose midi to the white keys

edited May 2023 in Logic Pro

First of, I’m a piano noob, but I still enjoy playing on a midi keyboard.

In Beatmaker 3 I could use my xkey air to trigger the pads and when I chose the scale I could basically play any scale with only the white keys.

Logic unfortunately can’t do this, as it ignores the settings of the on screen keyboard.

Is there any midi fx or method to do this in logic? Transposer doesn’t work because it doubles the notes and not maps everything to the whites.

I think Atom 2 had this feature but it doesn’t work in logic at the time.

Maybe someone knows a easy method for this. I would be really happy.

Thanks in advance. :smile:

Comments

• The scaler in the Rozeta suite might work. I don't have logic, so I can't try, but I think I read, it was updated specifically to work with logic.

• edited May 2023

drambo has scales and midi in/out.... scrap that, the midi out doesn't send the scale you choose, the midi out sends the chromatic scale.

• @tyslothrop1 said:
    The scaler in the Rozeta suite might work. I don't have logic, so I can't try, but I think I read, it was updated specifically to work with logic.

Unfortunately the same problem as with the logic transposer. I can quantize up, down or reject the wrong notes, but unfortunately not transpose to the whites :(

• Have you tried Mozaic scale scripts (look in this forums wiki)
    Or MFXConvert or Streambyter
    Or Mela 3/4 has a MIDI effect, but I think it only does transpose hi/lo or filter

• edited June 2023

-

• @JMcMillanMusic said:
    If I'm understanding correctly, you want to play any scale by playing the white keys only? In other words, you want to play the C major scale (only white keys), and have the notes come out as (for example) F major scale? Or play an A minor scale but have the notes come out as a G minor scale?

If so, is there a step transpose setting on your XKey? You can just bump up the pitch whatever semitone number you want to transpose a C major / A minor scale to any other one.

Yeah that’s exactly what I want. Atom 2 has this feature perfectly implemented, so I hope it will get an update soon.

Your second method was my first guess aswell, but this only works for major and minor but not for something like blues, pentatonic etc. so it’s a little bit inconvenient 😬

• @audiblevideo said:
    Have you tried Mozaic scale scripts (look in this forums wiki)
    Or MFXConvert or Streambyter
    Or Mela 3/4 has a MIDI effect, but I think it only does transpose hi/lo or filter

I will check those effects, thank you. I also found scale bud but it seems that this one also only can quantise to the next key. I don’t want to buy it to find out though as I bought so many midi effects just to be disappointed 😂

• @Danny_Mammy said:
    drambo has scales and midi in/out.... scrap that, the midi out doesn't send the scale you choose, the midi out sends the chromatic scale.

Sure it does, your patch must be wrong then.

• The best solution would be if your input midi would trigger the keyboard in logic, as you can set the scale there natively like in Beatmaker 3. unfortunately the in screen keyboard is completely ignored buy incoming midi, which is a shame, cause I also would love to see the notes/sustain etc. beeing triggered by my input midi.

• edited June 2023

-

• @Jusch1995 said:

@JMcMillanMusic said:
    If I'm understanding correctly, you want to play any scale by playing the white keys only? In other words, you want to play the C major scale (only white keys), and have the notes come out as (for example) F major scale? Or play an A minor scale but have the notes come out as a G minor scale?

If so, is there a step transpose setting on your XKey? You can just bump up the pitch whatever semitone number you want to transpose a C major / A minor scale to any other one.

Yeah that’s exactly what I want. Atom 2 has this feature perfectly implemented, so I hope it will get an update soon.

Your second method was my first guess aswell, but this only works for major and minor but not for something like blues, pentatonic etc. so it’s a little bit inconvenient 😬

Don’t expect any sort of update to Atom 2 - the developer of Atom 2 have been gone since last spring, and, no sign of him on whatever forum/social media…

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@Jusch1995 said:

@JMcMillanMusic said:

Don’t expect any sort of update to Atom 2 - the developer of Atom 2 have been gone since last spring, and, no sign of him on whatever forum/social media…

Yeah such a pity... Sent him an email or two a good while ago and heard nothing back

• @JMcMillanMusic said:

@Jusch1995 said:

@JMcMillanMusic said:

Oh got it - you want to transpose any scale onto the white keys only. As you said about the blues scale, I don't think all the scales could simply be pitched shift to the white keys. But almost all of them? All the modal scales could be simply pitch shifted. Is there a Mosaic script that might work? I don't have that app - just spit ballin'

Yeah normally it should be pretty easy to Programm. You just need the list for all the scales you want. And then you Programm your midi as white key one is cc1, white key 2 is cc2 and so on and then you just map it to first note of the scale is cc1, second is cc2 and so on. Pretty simple stuff. Unfortunately I’m not that good at programming 😂

• Here is your solution:

https://patchstorage.com/simple-scaler/

Just load this as the first midi instance in logic in your midi chain

The link above has instructions on how to use it - basically just select the scale you want in one knob, select ‘white keys’ in another knob, and you’re good to go!

@Jusch1995 said:

In Beatmaker 3 I could use my xkey air to trigger the pads and when I chose the scale I could basically play any scale with only the white keys.

Logic unfortunately can’t do this, as it ignores the settings of the on screen keyboard.

Is there any midi fx or method to do this in logic? Transposer doesn’t work because it doubles the notes and not maps everything to the whites.

• @Gavinski said:
    Here is your solution:

The link above has instructions on how to use it - basically just select the scale you want in one knob, select ‘white keys’ in another knob, and you’re good to go!

@Jusch1995 said:

Wow thank you, will try this later :)

• @Gavinski said:
    Here is your solution:

@Jusch1995 said:

Works perfectly fine and was exactly what I needed :smile: Thank you very much