Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Are you subscribing to Logic Pro?

Comments

• I use my iPad as an extension of a hardware jamming system. I don't really need Logic when my existing focus on AUM is working well for me.

The release of Logic has really brought out the ugly side of the musician world. So many absurdly arrogant positions being taken about differences of opinion regarding an app. Reading Logic threads is like reading an MMO discussion board. "L2MUSIC NUBKAEK!" and stuff like that. Makes me wonder if Logic is bad for the soul.

• To answer the original question...yes, I'm definitely going to stay on with the Logic Pro monthly sub. The more I play around with it and learn the ins and outs, the more I'm loving Logic Pro. I haven't produced a full track with it on account that I'm still learning it, but I can see myself using this far more than NS2 and Gadget.

Got myself a new Mini 6 to solely use Logic Pro while on the go and to finish up the projects on my M1 Pro. The projects sync to iCloud, making it excellent for those purposes.

Now of course for me, nothing will ever top AUM for Ambient creation. :) I love making Ambient live as opposed to producing it in a DAW. Drone Day is tomorrow, and once home after my piano gig tonight I'll be gathering random audio to sample, stretch, etc from freesound.org.

Anyways, back to the original question. Using Logic Pro is almost as easy as using Garageband, just with a ton more features. If you love GB, then you'll most likely love Logic Pro. If you don't like Garageband, you'll probably not like Logic Pro. Then again, if you're not cool with subs, you'll definitely not like Logic Pro on iPad. Just my take on the whole thing. :)

• edited May 2023

@oddSTAR said:
    I know a lot of people are excited about it and I’m happy for them and it even sounds like a pretty good tool, but I’m just doing my small part to fight the losing battle against music app monoculture. :lol:

Music app monoculture?

The app store has TONS of different music apps by different developers. Too many.

• @Simon said:

@oddSTAR said:
    I know a lot of people are excited about it and I’m happy for them and it even sounds like a pretty good tool, but I’m just doing my small part to fight the losing battle against music app monoculture. :lol:

Music app monoculture?

The apps store has TONS of different music apps by different developers. Too many.

Yep.

• edited May 2023

I’m sorry the sarcastic humor of that statement failed to register for you both. On the other hand, Logic has been out for several days now and I just can’t believe that Apple hasn’t deleted all the competition yet.

• @oddSTAR said:
    On the other hand, Logic has been out for several days now and I just can’t believe that Apple hasn’t deleted all the competition yet.

Don't tell me... "sarcastic humor", right?

• edited May 2023

• Alright, my last comment was kinda uncalled for so I apologize @Simon . The statement you referenced was not a serious claim and my entire point was simply that I prefer to continue supporting those many other developers you referenced and use the many great products I have already accumulated so I have chosen not to embrace Logic on iOS. Fair enough?

• @oddSTAR said:
    Alright, my last comment was kinda uncalled for so I apologize @Simon . The statement you referenced was not a serious claim and my entire point was simply that I prefer to continue supporting those many other developers you referenced and use the many great products I have already accumulated so I have chosen not to embrace Logic on iOS. Fair enough?

I still support the other developers myself. :) Logic Pro has great internal effects, but AUM only has some basic stuff in it that doesn't cover what Logic Pro has. So when I jam in AUM, I want to make sure I have the best of the best synths and effects from Kirnu, Brambos, FAC, Bleass, ToneBoosters, DDMF, and so on and so forth.

• I had another try with it this morning recording some hardware synths and then switched to Drambo and LP.

It’s clunky man and with no remote or controller support it’s going to stay that way. UI mess is right, it really slows things down constantly having to change/hide views.

• @oddSTAR said:
    Alright, my last comment was kinda uncalled for so I apologize @Simon . The statement you referenced was not a serious claim and my entire point was simply that I prefer to continue supporting those many other developers you referenced and use the many great products I have already accumulated so I have chosen not to embrace Logic on iOS. Fair enough?

Yes, no problem. I didn't get that you were kidding, as your "monoculture" comment was in amongst serious talk about your concerns with Apple. Thanks for the clarification.

• @BroCoast said:
    I had another try with it this morning recording some hardware synths and then switched to Drambo and LP.

It’s clunky man and with no remote or controller support it’s going to stay that way. UI mess is right, it really slows things down constantly having to change/hide views.

Yeah, I agree with this. I don't think it's well designed for interfacing with hardware like AUM.

• More than likely, yes. I really like it a lot so far and it’s almost worth it to me for Sculpture and the studio strings/horns as well as having Samplr (basically) baked in. But it is gonna take some getting used to. I’ve been using C2/3, GB, and Zenbeats for so long, so now I just have to learn Logic Pro. It’s fairly intuitive though, which makes it easier.

Most of the time I’ll still be in AUM but for the 40% I work in a DAW I think I’d like it to be Logic. And it seems great for mastering the stems I record in AUM.

• edited May 2023

@BroCoast said:
    I had another try with it this morning recording some hardware synths and then switched to Drambo and LP.

I can agree about the first, but, the UI and workflow isn’t a mess, it’s brilliant and suits me well… Apple have made an incredible version 1 of Logic to iPad, and, we will certainly see more to come regarding functionality and soundspack, also, a real Alchemy synth with complete control…

• edited May 2023

I’ve downloaded the trial on day 2 but have maybe spent total of 10 mins on it. Time is at a premium and I feel like I should be spending it actually making some cool and unusual sound in Drambo rather than learning Logic touch.

I’ve been using Logic on my 27’ iMac seems like forever. Combined with much 1820 it’s more than I need. So if I can now sit on the sofa or a bus (I mostly cycle) as opposed to at my desk seems completely superfluous. It already feels like I spend half of my life on screens and don’t even have a desk job!

So yeah, absolutely no need to rent or buy it at all.

• edited May 2023

I’ve spent a lot of time with this over the last few days, but unfortunately the cons outweight the pro's, so I won't be continuing with the subscription.

Pros:

• I like the main arrangement section - being able to move chunks of audio and MIDI around, loop etc. is great.
    • FX - some really unique fx included, coupled with my own it's an incredible amount of stuff to play with.
    • Mixing section is great, and nice to see most of my tracks without scrolling.
    • Recording loop performances into the timeline was fun.
    • Pinching the screen to be able to see all my tracks is great too.

Cons:

• Just me it seems who's bothered by this, but I don't like the slide-over workaround to get my own audio in and out. As I'll be doing this a lot, it's a real workflow killer.
    • The lack of naturtal instruments - a real paltry selection.
    • Un-natural playing surfaces - I want to play 'Studio Strings' like stringed instruments. You can't, they're fixed so there's no sliding of notes. There's less options for performance and expression than there is in the free GarageBand.
    • Lack of automation support for many of my AUv3 apps.
    • Performance - I've noticed things are starting to slow down on my Air 4 as I'm stacking up the tracks and instruments. To be expected on an older device, but it's a potential issue when building finished tracks.

I can see how it's a gem of a thing for most users, but for me, the workflow cludges and limitations mean it would get limited use and not worth the £50 per year cost.

Frustrating - because as I've said above, I really like the main editing and mixing options. If they fix the things that bother me I'll grab it, but for now it's not ticking my boxes.

• Tally so far:

Will you buy Logic Pro?
    147 votes
    Yes
    38.78%
    No
    38.78%
    Haven't decided yet
    22.45%

• I wasn't going to vote but couldn't resist being the one to break the the tie.

• I’m moving from the ”it’s not bad phase” to the “I ❤️ it phase.

This is definitely the one for me.

Though in terms of recommendations to my family & friends who are just looking to have a creative outlet - if they ask I’ll say stick with GarageBand.

For those who want to release music and have a good go at it then I’ll whole heartedly endorse LP for iPad.

• @monz0id said:
    I’ve spent a lot of time with this over the last few days, but unfortunately the cons outweight the pro's, so I won't be continuing with the subscription.

Pros:

• I like the main arrangement section - being able to move chunks of audio and MIDI around, loop etc. is great.
    • FX - some really unique fx included, coupled with my own it's an incredible amount of stuff to play with.

Cons:

• Just me it seems who's bothered by this, but I don't like the slide-over workaround to get my own audio in and out. As I'll be doing this a lot, it's a real workflow killer.
    • Un-natural playing surfaces - I want to play 'Studio Strings' like stringed instruments. You can't, they're fixed so there's no sliding of notes. There's less options for performance and expression than there is in the free GarageBand.
    • Performance - I've noticed things are starting to slow down on my Air 4 as I'm stacking up the tracks and instruments. To be expected on an older device, but it's a potential issue when building finished tracks.

I can see how it's a gem of a thing for most users, but for me, the workflow cludges and limitations mean it would get limited use and not worth the £50 per year cost.

Frustrating - because as I've said above, I really like the main editing and mixing options. If they fix the things that bother me I'll grab it, but for now it's not ticking my boxes.

I have to believe more natural playing surfaces would be added in an update soon. Makes no sense not to include it and it’s weird they left that out considering it’s in GB. As far as the instruments themselves, I’d like to see some more added but I’m very happy with the quality of what’s included. The strings/horns and electric pianos especially.

• @HotStrange said:

@monz0id said:

Pros:

Cons:

I have to believe more natural playing surfaces would be added in an update soon. Makes no sense not to include it and it’s weird they left that out considering it’s in GB. As far as the instruments themselves, I’d like to see some more added but I’m very happy with the quality of what’s included. The strings/horns and electric pianos especially.

I would really like a Studio Woodwinds plugin. I hope they have that planned. The strings/brass are really good!

• @wim said:
    I wasn't going to vote but couldn't resist being the one to break the the tie.

Did you choose monthly or yearly?

• @HotStrange said:

The playing surfaces are there, but not all instruments are programmed to respond to certain articulations.

• @HotStrange said:

Not enough for me unfortunately, and I just want the playing surfaces to work as they're supposed to with the selected instrument. It seems you can slide notes in the keyboard option, so it seems it's possible, so if more people like me raise this as a useful feature request - rather than saying everything is absolutely brilliant as it is - then maybe it'll get an update. Otherwise they won't bother.

• @monz0id said:

Pros:

Cons:

Curious, but do we lack an AUv3 MIDI fx app as a control surface?
    An app who could change UI so it could simulate both pianoplaying, fiddle, harmonica, guitar, trumpet and so on…

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    Yes
    38.78%

That's quote low for an iOS music forum. Plus I'd change my vote now from 'maybe', to 'no'.

• edited May 2023

@ErrkaPetti said:
    An app who could change UI so it could simulate both pianoplaying, fiddle, harmonica, guitar, trumpet and so on…

There's a few existing instruments that do some of these things - ThumbJam, GeoShred, Steel Guitar, FingerFiddle etc., and some send MIDI out. But as I've discovered with a GeoShred/Studio Strings combo, it doesn't always seem to work, so I guess a developer would be battling against whether the target app supports their MIDI controller. Not sure how you'd emulate wind surfaces, mind.

GarageBand does traditional instrumentation playability stuff really well, I just hope Logic catches up with it at some point.

• @monz0id said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

There's a few existing instruments that do some of these things - ThumbJam, GeoShred, Steel Guitar, FingerFiddle etc., and some send MIDI out. But as I've discovered with a GeoShred/Studio Strings combo, it doesn't always seem to work, so I guess a developer would be battling against whether the target app supports their MIDI controller. Not sure how you'd emulate wind surfaces, mind.

GarageBand does traditional instrumentation playability stuff really well, I just hope Logic catches up with it at some point.

In the Reaktor (desktop) User Library, there’re some modelled wind instrument ensembles that can be used with breath controllers, but that also have the option for breath to be controlled by the modulation wheel. Works really well.

• @el_bo said:

@monz0id said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

In the Reaktor (desktop) User Library, there’re some modelled wind instrument ensembles that can be used with breath controllers, but that also have the option for breath to be controlled by the modulation wheel. Works really well.

Ah right, I’ve got NI so I’ll take a look.

• @monz0id said:

@el_bo said:

@monz0id said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

Ah right, I’ve got NI so I’ll take a look.

https://www.native-instruments.com/es/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/all/all/all/all/chet singer/latest/1/all/?q=chet singer&t=userlib

Also, check out the MW bowing in his 'Serenade' ensemble: