Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Are you subscribing to Logic Pro?

Comments

• edited May 2023

I am gradually liking it more and more. I must say I respect Apple for delivering a really nice stable IOS DAW. With a manual of about 1000 pages, it offers a lot for the price. So in short , most likely yes.

• @AudioGus said:
    If Apple had enforced AUParameterAutomationEventTypeTouch and Release events required by their own Audio Unit specification and not approved AU plugins without it then I would sub.

But because they did not enforce this I can't automate the vast majority of AUs via their GUI, so not interested in Logic.

But how then other DAWS do it, where this is no problem ? It must be some easy workaround for that ..

Apple doesn't need to enforce anything, they just should release more clear and straightforward description of all suggested impemetnation details in AUv3 standard ... their API docu is one of worst API documentation i ever saw (and i saw tons of them).

Even Microsoft GRAPH API has vastly better documentation ...

• edited May 2023

@rs2000 said:
    No for me. Been using Logic X on Mac for years as a second DAW next to Ableton Suite and iOS vs desktop music has always worked best when I drew a clear line between what to do on iOS and what to do on the desktop.
    Logic for iPad won't change that.
    There's simply too many things that either can't be done on iOS or are too awkward to achieve.
    If my only computer was an iPad then I might obviously go for it.

i feel more restricted on desktop now :-) i Feel like without one hand and with missing 3 fingers on other one when i should control daw with mouse :-D :-D

• If Logic Pro had come out for iPad a few years ago, I would have subscribed, although I'm not a subscription fan. But I found trying to record music on my iPad to be frustrating so I gave up and bought a laptop.

I use my iPad as a sound module and I use Logic on laptop, as a tape recorder, and enjoy the ease of audio editing and vocal comping. I don't make edm or trigger clips, I record with other musicians in a linear fashion so that is a big factor.

I could imagine getting Logic on iPad just to come up with ideas, but as long as I can't export MIDI, it won't be useful to me in that way.

• edited May 2023

@charalew said:
    I would definitely buy it if it wasn't for the fact that there's one massive dealbreaker. As far as I can tell, and I've spend quite a qhile looking now, there's no way to get MIDI out of the iPad version. I really home someone out there is going to tell me that I've missed something obvious - have

Have you experimented with Audioveek's MIDI route app?
    Not sure whether when put (last) im the MIDI FX slot it picks up the MIDI notes and CCs on the track and sends them out. But guess there's a chance this might be a solution (I also don't know of a native option)

edit: tried it but the AudioVeek app seems to crash Logic here and Logic doesn’t seem to recognise the other option (RouteMIDI) as a MIDI AU..

edit2: there is a virtual OUT (you can see it in AUM’s MIDI matrix for instance) but I can’t get a track from Logic sending there? I did manage to send Logic’s MIDI clock there though..

edit3: finally got it to work!, when you create a track you have to toggle on use external MIDI (I play Poison in AUM from a Logic track)

• I might, but my iPad is too old (pro 10.5 2017), so I will need something newer and bigger. This is actually good for me, because it really makes me reflect on whether I would find Logic all that useful or interesting after the initial rush. Are the things that it can do really something that I would take advantage of or be excited about?

• edited May 2023

@dendy said:

@AudioGus said:
    If Apple had enforced AUParameterAutomationEventTypeTouch and Release events required by their own Audio Unit specification and not approved AU plugins without it then I would sub.

But because they did not enforce this I can't automate the vast majority of AUs via their GUI, so not interested in Logic.

But how then other DAWS do it, where this is no problem ? It must be some easy workaround for that ..

Yah I would assume the other DAWS have workarounds in place that Apple just does not recommend. @giku_beepstreet was the one who mentioned AUParameterAutomationEventTypeTouch and Release events.

Apple doesn't need to enforce anything, they just should release more clear and straightforward description of all suggested impemetnation details in AUv3 standard ... their API docu is one of worst API documentation i ever saw (and i saw tons of them).

Beats me, I was called a troll going after 'hot takes' by blue beak (or whatever his name is) last time I mentioned that the word on the street is that the documentation sucks.

• edited May 2023

@AudioGus said:
    Beats me, I was called a troll going after 'hot takes' by blue beak (or whatever his name is) last time I mentioned that the word on the street is that the documentation sucks.

Like really... i am reading various API docs - facebook, amazon, microsoft, paypal, stripe, ... i can continue forever... implemented a lot of them in our app in recent few years...

Didn't saw in my life worse api documentation than Apple's one for AUv3 standard ..

• @dendy said:

@rs2000 said:
    No for me. Been using Logic X on Mac for years as a second DAW next to Ableton Suite and iOS vs desktop music has always worked best when I drew a clear line between what to do on iOS and what to do on the desktop.
    Logic for iPad won't change that.
    There's simply too many things that either can't be done on iOS or are too awkward to achieve.
    If my only computer was an iPad then I might obviously go for it.

i feel more restricted on desktop now :-) i Feel like without one hand and with missing 3 fingers on other one when i should control daw with mouse :-D :-D

Indeed, it's about time that MacOS finally gets touch support!! 😄

• @dendy said:

@AudioGus said:

I've recently talked to an AUv3 developer and his view was that it's rather about documented features that some developers chose not to include because many others, including some AUv3 hosts, didn't use them either.
    In the end, with Logic iOS, devs will be pushed hard to update their apps because people will expect them to "just work" 😉

• @janpieter said:

@charalew said:
    I would definitely buy it if it wasn't for the fact that there's one massive dealbreaker. As far as I can tell, and I've spend quite a qhile looking now, there's no way to get MIDI out of the iPad version. I really home someone out there is going to tell me that I've missed something obvious - have

Not sure whether when put (last) im the MIDI FX slot it picks up the MIDI notes and CCs on the track and sends them out. But guess there's a chance this might be a solution (I also don't know of a native option)

edit: tried it but the AudioVeek app seems to crash Logic here and Logic doesn’t seem to recognise the other option (RouteMIDI) as a MIDI AU..

edit2: there is a virtual OUT (you can see it in AUM’s MIDI matrix for instance) but I can’t get a track from Logic sending there? I did manage to send Logic’s MIDI clock there though..

edit3: finally got it to work!, when you create a track you have to toggle on use external MIDI (I play Poison in AUM from a Logic track)

Thanks @janpieter, I'll have a play with that to see if it gives me what I need. Basically I want to use Logic as an ideas sketchpad and then get the MIDI out of it to import into Reaper on my Windows laptop. This is what I'm currently using Cubasis for but I really like the built-in patterns and sounds in Logic. So if I can send the MIDI somewhere where it can be recorded (e.g. to Cubasis) that would be a solution of sorts...

• @NeuM said:

@oddSTAR said:
    Hard no. Don’t mind the sub option but while I acknowledge the irony of using an iPad for music and writing this in an iPhone, I don’t really want to give Apple more of my money or further control over how I make music. I’ve never once used GB either. You can say it’s just a tool and that’s true but I’d rather buy tools from independent developers and those who still show a willingness to listen directly to their customers, especially in this space. I know a lot of people are excited about it and I’m happy for them and it even sounds like a pretty good tool, but I’m just doing my small part to fight the losing battle against music app monoculture. :lol: I still have plenty to learn among the apps I’ve already bought, I use Ableton on desktop and am thinking I will build my iPad DAW environment around Loopy Pro instead.

You do realize that Apple is getting 15-30% of every purchase you make through the App Store, right?

I really don’t understand the unwarranted attacks on a company that has arguably done more for artists and musicians than any company in existence.

Remember what was going on in the music business before Apple created iTunes? That’s right. Napster.

And the iPad and iPhone give us the power of music recording and production on-device. That is a radical shift of power in favor of the individual.

"Unwarranted attacks," huh? That was hardly an attack, but its incredibly ironic that you felt the need to aggressively defend them by stating that they take 30% of App store purchases and pointing out how they saved the music industry by establishing a new exploitative system to replace the failing one. You do realize they are a profit-driven corporation that targets artists and musicians, not the patron saint of them, right? :lol:

• edited May 2023

@oddSTAR said:

@NeuM said:

@oddSTAR said:
    Hard no. Don’t mind the sub option but while I acknowledge the irony of using an iPad for music and writing this in an iPhone, I don’t really want to give Apple more of my money or further control over how I make music. I’ve never once used GB either. You can say it’s just a tool and that’s true but I’d rather buy tools from independent developers and those who still show a willingness to listen directly to their customers, especially in this space. I know a lot of people are excited about it and I’m happy for them and it even sounds like a pretty good tool, but I’m just doing my small part to fight the losing battle against music app monoculture. :lol: I still have plenty to learn among the apps I’ve already bought, I use Ableton on desktop and am thinking I will build my iPad DAW environment around Loopy Pro instead.

You do realize that Apple is getting 15-30% of every purchase you make through the App Store, right?

I really don’t understand the unwarranted attacks on a company that has arguably done more for artists and musicians than any company in existence.

Remember what was going on in the music business before Apple created iTunes? That’s right. Napster.

And the iPad and iPhone give us the power of music recording and production on-device. That is a radical shift of power in favor of the individual.

"Unwarranted attacks," huh? That was hardly an attack, but its incredibly ironic that you felt the need to aggressively defend them by stating that they take 30% of App store purchases and pointing out how they saved the music industry by establishing a new exploitative system to replace the failing one. You do realize they are a profit-driven corporation that targets artists and musicians, not the patron saint of them, right? :lol:

Interesting that you chose to point out that they’re a “profit-driven corporation” (which is obvious) and at the same time complain about them charging a fee for their services (“exploitative”). We live in a capitalistic world, like it or not. Every country which ignores supply and demand principles has failed. And there’s absolutely nothing “exploitative” about creating something and offering it to people in exchange for their money, time and attention. And people choosing to buy anything from Apple is 100% voluntary. Wow, what a concept!

• edited May 2023

I had a little hope that Apple would apply a universal Logic Pro license (like pianoteq), not having to pay again on the iPad. No, I will not pay even €0.001 to get Logic on the iPad.

• @janpieter said:

@charalew said:

@janpieter said:

@charalew said:

@janpieter said:

@charalew said:

@janpieter said:

@charalew said:

@janpieter said:

@charalew said:

@charalew said:

@janpieter said:

@charalew said:

Thanks @janpieter, I'll have a play with that to see if it gives me what I need. Basically I want to use Logic as an ideas sketchpad and then get the MIDI out of it to import into Reaper on my Windows laptop. This is what I'm currently using Cubasis for but I really like the built-in patterns and sounds in Logic. So if I can send the MIDI somewhere where it can be recorded (e.g. to Cubasis) that would be a solution of sorts...

ah I think I understand better what you're after now. Using Helium (or Atom?) to record Logic MIDI inside Logic works fine. Just tested it. From there you can easily export it.

• edited May 2023

@janpieter said:

@janpieter said:

@charalew said:

@janpieter said:

@charalew said:

@janpieter said:

@charalew said:

@janpieter said:

@charalew said:

@janpieter said:

@charalew said:

@charalew said:

@janpieter said:

@charalew said:

ah I think I understand better what you're after now. Using Helium (or Atom?) to record Logic MIDI inside Logic works fine. Just tested it. From there you can easily export it.

That's a great point. I'll give that a try. Your initial post did point me in the right direction though. I created a track with External Midi and send to my WIDI Bud Pro and now have Logic Patterns playing VSTs on my desktop in Unify so in principle I could easily record the MIDI directly to Reaper. Thanks for your help @janpieter - much appreciated. Think I'm in!

• I bought a Macbook Air M1 and Logic Pro two years ago. All my AUv3 apps were supposed to be usable on my new Mac, but they didn't. Most AUv3 is not available on my Mac or doesn't work correctly. Now Apple is turning the spotlight back to the iPad by launching Logic Pro for iPad. But I'm not going to play Apple's game anymore...is the future of music production now on the iPad? not for me, I don't want to give more money to Apple, and never by subscription. On my iPad I will continue to use AUM or Drambo, and on my Mac, Ableton and Logic Pro, waiting for developers to bring their AUv3 to the Mac and make them fully compatible and reliable.

• Definitely wanna try it but my current iPad isn’t compatible. Plan on getting a 12.9, still undecided about refurb M1 or new M2.
    I don’t expect a new Pro this year …unless they surprise us with a new size?

• @NeuM said:

@oddSTAR said:

@NeuM said:

@oddSTAR said:

Interesting that you chose to point out that they’re a “profit-driven corporation” (which is obvious) and at the same time complain about them charging a fee for their services (“exploitative”). We live in a capitalistic world, like it or not. Every country which ignores supply and demand principles has failed. And there’s absolutely nothing “exploitative” about creating something and offering it to people in exchange for their money, time and attention. And people choosing to buy anything from Apple is 100% voluntary. Wow, what a concept!

How strange that you're suddenly trying to turn this into a debate about capitalism and suggesting that I somehow equated exploitation with the charging of any amount of money for a product or service. It's disingenuous. I think we've ventured far enough from the original point that we're done here.

• @charalew said:

@janpieter said:

@janpieter said:

@charalew said:

@janpieter said:

@charalew said:

@janpieter said:

@charalew said:

@janpieter said:

@charalew said:

@janpieter said:

@charalew said:

@charalew said:

@janpieter said:

@charalew said:

That's a great point. I'll give that a try. Your initial post did point me in the right direction though. I created a track with External Midi and send to my WIDI Bud Pro and now have Logic Patterns playing VSTs on my desktop in Unify so in principle I could easily record the MIDI directly to Reaper. Thanks for your help @janpieter - much appreciated. Think I'm in!

Great!

• @janpieter said:

Good find, thank you!

• Brilliant, congrats! This will be useful as hell!

@janpieter said:

@charalew said:

• edited May 2023

@oddSTAR said:

@NeuM said:

@oddSTAR said:

@NeuM said:

@oddSTAR said:

How strange that you're suddenly trying to turn this into a debate about capitalism and suggesting that I somehow equated exploitation with the charging of any amount of money for a product or service. It's disingenuous. I think we've ventured far enough from the original point that we're done here.

Use of the term "exploitative" was a bad choice since Apple does not force anyone (workers, employees or customers) to do anything they don't want to do. They're a business and they go out of their way to be fair in their practices way beyond their competitors (and to their detriment in many cases, IMO).

Let's get this thread back on track.

• edited May 2023

I said the music industry was and still is exploitative. I stand by it. YMMV

exploitative (adjective)
    making use of a situation or treating others unfairly in order to gain an advantage or benefit.

• edited May 2023

@oddSTAR said:

exploitative (adjective)
    making use of a situation or treating others unfairly in order to gain an advantage or benefit.

“… and pointing out how they saved the music industry by establishing a new exploitative system to replace the failing one…”

You blamed them for “establishing a new exploitative system”. Your words.

Enough already. Get the thread back on track.

• @NeuM said:

@oddSTAR said:

exploitative (adjective)

“… and pointing out how they saved the music industry by establishing a new exploitative system to replace the failing one…”

@NeuM said:

@oddSTAR said:

exploitative (adjective)

No. New implies old, the music industry was and is still exploitative, and you gave them the credit as I was referencing your statement. If it’s enough already then stop trying to get the last damn word by twisting mine.

• I was super pumped for Logic Pro and, as much as I hate software subscriptions, was planning to buy a year right off the bat. I had a $100 gift card I was planning to use for it and some other things and was a little miffed when I couldn't figure out how to just buy it and bypass the free month (I like to use up all of a gift card in one sitting, otherwise the balance sits around and gets drained by applecare, etc.). However, after downloading logic pro, I find I've barely touched it because I still spend 95% of my time making music on my phone. With no way to go back and forth I just don't think it's going to be for me.

Now that I've scratched the surface of how incredible Loopy Pro can be for someone who doesn't care about looping at all, I think that is where I will focus. Once it starts to click it really is a fun and extremely capable DAW.

• edited May 2023

@oddSTAR said:

@NeuM said:

@oddSTAR said:

exploitative (adjective)

@NeuM said:

@oddSTAR said:

exploitative (adjective)

No. New implies old, the music industry was and is still exploitative, and you gave them the credit as I was referencing your statement. If it’s enough already then stop trying to get the last damn word by twisting mine.

So you’re saying you are not blaming Apple for “establishing a new exploitative system”? That’s good to hear. Wonderful.

Now can this matter be put to rest?

• So...Will I be buying Logic pro?

If mobile music-making was my one and only and I didn't have a desktop Logic setup, then yes...absolutely. it would be squarely in 'no-brainer' territory. But i do have Logic on the desktop, and like it very much. It isn't perfect, but it doesn't have any of the frustrations I feel when using the iPad version.

The idea of using LogiciOS as an on-the-go project-starter/scratchpad has been getting me somewhat excited since the announcement. Unfortunately, I'm finding the reality of using it to be a stifling and claustrophobic experience, which is doing nothing for my creative inspiration. interestingly, it took logic Pro to hit the iPad to make me realise that Garageband was perhaps all the 'starter' I would need.

So is that it then?

No...not yet. I still have 20-whatever days of free usage to get to the point of being sure that it's either great enough that I should just try to ignore the frustrations, or I just don't need/want it, and will not re-subscribe.

• i’m reminded that “hardly anyone” uses garageband …yet it has 80 thousand ratings on the the US appstore… will be interesting to evaluate LP ratings come june 23rd