Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Are you subscribing to Logic Pro?

Comments

• @vdk_john said:
    Is the question about buying the subscription on iPad or the desktop version?

On IPad obviously

• @BerlinFx said:

@richardyot said:
    I'm definitely subscribing and very happy about it :)

It's not going to be perfect, there will be issues, but nothing is perfect. The learning curve is not too bad, I've picked up the basics very quickly, but I imagine there will be lots of little nuggets to discover over the coming months, which is something to look forward to.

I started a project in GB a couple of weeks ago, and I'm now finishing it in Logic and despite some little niggles the workflow is great. The biggest win, coming from Auria, is the multicore performance - the difference is huge, I can run a lot more plugins without needing to freeze or bounce.

Richard it is not fair play , you have done it before in GB 😂 ne t time do it from scratch all in LP iOS 😂

I knew what I was doing, I started the project in anticipation of being able to finish it in Logic 😁

• @BerlinFx said:
    That so true what you said : « Logic is obviously deep, but feels like I’m working, not playing.«  😂 todayI take off the afternoon away from LP need a bit of fresh air

😱 what like actually go outside? Focus eyes away from a screen? 😵‍💫

Let us know when you get back safe 😂

• edited May 2023

I’m a ‘never Logic’, at least on iPad. (Might spring for it if I eventually buy a Mac Mini, just as a learning exercise. If I can still actually buy it, not rent it, by then, that is.) Yes, I hate subs, but I was also struck by the comment that Logic ‘looks like working.’

Yes. Dull, dull, dull. Serious tools for serious people. Making, er, ‘beats’ and ‘songs’. ‘Producers.’ You know. People who actually know their way around a fretboard/keyboard/studio. I envy them. I respect them. I am not them.

But AUM is joyful, flexible and almost perfect for me (where oh where is the automation though? Sigh…) Also immediate. From inspiration to SoundCloud is a seamless iterative, playful exercise, taking just minutes sometimes. (Hours and days others, but still fun.)

Laboriously micromanaging stems, if I can learn to do even that?

Not so much.

• I paid for the first year the moment it became available. Aside from a few incompatible plugins and a couple of glitchy behaviors (which I’ll report), I’ve enjoyed it immensely so far.

• A cross grade option would be great. Pay 200 for Mac logic for life and say 100 for iPad version. Or if you don’t have it on my Mac you can pay what ever Apple thinks is a right choice for owning it maybe 250 for iPad version? Rent it for 5 years and you are close to 250 dollars right there. Who determines what value is?

I wonder what the numbers will show after one year if Apple will end up changing their model. How many resub every other month or just when they need it vs annual.

Logic does feel like work but I can still fire up gb and get something down quick and easy then move it to logic for stems and recording if needed and other functions.

Apple has a winner here. Interesting to see how they nurture it and change the model over time.

I’m renting yearly for now

• Fuck no

• edited May 2023

@Svetlovska said:
    I’m a ‘never Logic’, at least on iPad. (Might spring for it if I eventually buy a Mac Mini, just as a learning exercise. If I can still actually buy it, not rent it, by then, that is.) Yes, I hate subs, but I was also struck by the comment that Logic ‘looks like working.’

Yes. Dull, dull, dull. Serious tools for serious people. Making, er, ‘beats’ and ‘songs’. ‘Producers.’ You know. People who actually know their way around a fretboard/keyboard/studio. I envy them. I respect them. I am not them.

But AUM is joyful, flexible and almost perfect for me (where oh where is the automation though? Sigh…) Also immediate. From inspiration to SoundCloud is a seamless iterative, playful exercise, taking just minutes sometimes. (Hours and days others, but still fun.)

Laboriously micromanaging stems, if I can learn to do even that?

Not so much.

deleted already ipad logic, i’m done with that visual ui mess - but i would suggest you to keep openminded towards Logic on desktop - it’s really great DAW, probably best one inever used (and i went through realy lot of them since late 90’s :-))

• edited May 2023

Hard no. Don’t mind the sub option but while I acknowledge the irony of using an iPad for music and writing this in an iPhone, I don’t really want to give Apple more of my money or further control over how I make music. I’ve never once used GB either. You can say it’s just a tool and that’s true but I’d rather buy tools from independent developers and those who still show a willingness to listen directly to their customers, especially in this space. I know a lot of people are excited about it and I’m happy for them and it even sounds like a pretty good tool, but I’m just doing my small part to fight the losing battle against music app monoculture. :lol: I still have plenty to learn among the apps I’ve already bought, I use Ableton on desktop and am thinking I will build my iPad DAW environment around Loopy Pro instead.

• No, but it's not a comment on the quality of the software or its workflow. I've already invested a lot in both iOS and now desktop, and I feel like I should keep learning with what I have. No point in buying a Lambo when I can barely drive my current car.

• not interested in rentals.

• @Kewe_Esse said:

Logic is obviously deep, but feels like I’m working, not playing.

As a hobbyist, I love this logic.

• Definitely…I can easily make it pay for itself…easily

• edited May 2023

I haven’t decided yet, but I’m leaning toward yes. It’s missing a few core things that a Pro DAW should have, like MIDI export, bi-directional drag and drop support with the files app. Not to mention that only the “player” version of Alchemy is included so far. And a lot of the UIs for the other synths and FX feel like they need a bit more work, even if the plan is for them to be differentiated from their desktop counterparts. I also kind of hate subscription software.

That said, so much of what’s in here is utterly fantastic, high quality, and just fun. And I have to believe more is coming. And as far as sub software goes, the value to cost ratio seems quite good here compared with a lot I’ve seen. You are getting a lot for not much. Hopefully the sub model means they are planning to keep banging out new features constantly.

• I would definitely buy it if it wasn't for the fact that there's one massive dealbreaker. As far as I can tell, and I've spend quite a qhile looking now, there's no way to get MIDI out of the iPad version. I really home someone out there is going to tell me that I've missed something obvious - have I?

• edited May 2023

No for me. Been using Logic X on Mac for years as a second DAW next to Ableton Suite and iOS vs desktop music has always worked best when I drew a clear line between what to do on iOS and what to do on the desktop.
    Logic for iPad won't change that.
    There's simply too many things that either can't be done on iOS or are too awkward to achieve.
    If my only computer was an iPad then I might obviously go for it.

• If Apple had enforced AUParameterAutomationEventTypeTouch and Release events required by their own Audio Unit specification and not approved AU plugins without it then I would sub.

But because they did not enforce this I can't automate the vast majority of AUs via their GUI, so not interested in Logic.

• still
    digging into Logic on ipad. seems like a hot rodded version of garage band for a daw. so far it’s really only Alchemy sampler that keeps me going back. such a fun sampler

• edited May 2023

Interesting to see feedback on how Logic feels like work. This has been my feeling on DAWs and linear arrangement overall for a while too.

But I'm using it more like Drambo so far by using midi sequencers and pattern cells with arranging once I have some bits and pieces I like. Even on desktop, I dislike I doing this, but it feels easier to do with Logic in the iPad. Much more than I expected. Likely because I prefer using a touchscreen to a mouse. This way it's working more like groovebox for me, but I can organize things if and even I feel like it.

Modulation is one major downside so far though, because AU parameters aren't mappable like in AUM or Drambo.

Compared to Logic on desktop which I got last year, this version feels like more streamlined without the legacy and bloat of the original.

• edited May 2023

I’m sold… So much is in it, and one can only imagine what more is to come, for the price of a monthly Jumbo Latte..
    Yes, I will be supporting this masterpiece with my money…

I don’t even have to buy that organ anymore.. nice.

• edited May 2023

@auxmux said:
    Interesting to see feedback on how Logic feels like work. This has been my feeling on DAWs and linear arrangement overall for a while too.

For me it isnt the linear arrangement aspect so much as it is the scaling of elements in windows that feels like work. Just seems like it would take longer to build muscle memory than if it were to jump between predictable windows (olde school I know). The pinch and swipe stuff can feel sexy but to me it just make things less reliable. I tap expecting to be able to touch a component but because of the relative scale with other windows it now feels off and different than before, or simply has contents that are not revealed unless I scale it up. NS2 has screen diving (which by nature some deride) but it all flows beautifully to me and doesn't make me feel like a cat constantly wiggling and turning around in it's bed trying to get that just right snug feeling.

• edited May 2023

I’ll stick to my current setup and won’t jump on the Logic Pro train.

Not because there is anything wrong with the app itself, but because I am not into subscriptions but mostly because I am happy and comfy with what I use already. I am happy for everyone that have longed for it and even more happy for iOS. We have a new DAW benchmark obviously, and this will lead to many changes in many different dimensions ranging from prices to developers porting stuff to iOS we never thought we’d have access to. Some of it will be good, some bad depending on who you ask.

Welcome Logic Pro!

Now, let’s get back to business making music with whatever tools that may suit us!

And, last but not least, let’s keep discussing those tools and help each other out using them!

/DMfan🇸🇪

• Still on the fence, I’m want to spend more time with it the next week to fully run through everything and see if it gels with me more than it is currently. More than likely I will just kick on a months subscription as needed, it’s not an app I need weekly where the yearly sub makes sense. I might save that for FCP.

• @auxmux said:

But I'm using it more like Drambo so far by using midi sequencers and pattern cells with arranging once I have some bits and pieces I like. Even on desktop, I dislike I doing this, but it feels easier to do with Logic in the iPad. Much more than I expected. Likely because I prefer using a touchscreen to a mouse. This way it's working more like groovebox for me, but I can organize things if and even I feel like it.

Modulation is one major downside so far though, because AU parameters aren't mappable like in AUM or Drambo.

Compared to Logic on desktop which I got last year, this version feels like more streamlined without the legacy and bloat of the original.

Ah really? You can't for example map, say, midi lfos to parameters in auv3s? That would really suck

• @Gavinski said:

@auxmux said:

Ah really? You can't for example map, say, midi lfos to parameters in auv3s? That would really suck

Not that I have seen. I think Cubasis has this issue as well.

• I haven’t figured out how to buy it on iOS yet. But May end up renting it, if they fix the current breath controller problems.

• @oddSTAR said:
    Hard no. Don’t mind the sub option but while I acknowledge the irony of using an iPad for music and writing this in an iPhone, I don’t really want to give Apple more of my money or further control over how I make music. I’ve never once used GB either. You can say it’s just a tool and that’s true but I’d rather buy tools from independent developers and those who still show a willingness to listen directly to their customers, especially in this space. I know a lot of people are excited about it and I’m happy for them and it even sounds like a pretty good tool, but I’m just doing my small part to fight the losing battle against music app monoculture. :lol: I still have plenty to learn among the apps I’ve already bought, I use Ableton on desktop and am thinking I will build my iPad DAW environment around Loopy Pro instead.

You do realize that Apple is getting 15-30% of every purchase you make through the App Store, right?

I really don’t understand the unwarranted attacks on a company that has arguably done more for artists and musicians than any company in existence.

Remember what was going on in the music business before Apple created iTunes? That’s right. Napster.

And the iPad and iPhone give us the power of music recording and production on-device. That is a radical shift of power in favor of the individual.

• @FriedTapeworm said:
    I haven’t figured out how to buy it on iOS yet. But May end up renting it, if they fix the current breath controller problems.

As you know, the only option is to subscribe.

• I can resonate with most of the posts here, but I just can’t skip on MPE recording/editing. Ableton link is implemented and I can use iPad Logic as MPE instrument track editor at least.

In the last few years only 2% of my projects were made from start to end with Logic Pro. I’m personally unable to start fresh ideas in an old school DAW environment, but to arrange, mix and master is a godsend.

BTW, one free month is not enough for me to make any conclusion. On the next renewal, practical usage will be a deciding factor.

• @NeuM said:

Remember what was going on in the music business before Apple created iTunes? That’s right. Napster.

nah, Napster was dead at that point... Limewire bAbY! ;)