Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can an AUM Session be recalled via MIDI?

Is there a control in AUM that allows a session to be recalled from an external app via MIDI?

Comments

• Yes, you can make a set list and choose how to recall it via MIDI. Open the main menu and go to MIDI control and there you'll find Session Load. Just add your desired sessions and choose how you want to load them.

• edited May 2023

thx, yes set that up however I think I'm messing up in the routing side...so coming from an external app, what should the routing be?

I've setup a MIDI bus channel, with routing destination 'AUM' Destination but I'm not getting any action...

• in AUM's MIDI routing settings MIDI Control BUILT-IN should be set to receive from the external app

• edited May 2023

thanks - yes it is. Under routing from the top section (Sources) I have the app connected to MIDI Control (Built In) I have set the parameters under Session load to PC, the channel, and the PC number...nothing!

I have confirmed using MIDI Wrench that the app is indeed sending the correct message on the correct channel. But somehow AUM is simply not "seeing" it...

• Hmm, I don't think I have an app that sends MIDI out to check it. I checked with my MIDI controller and it works. Could it be that AUM needs to be in the foreground for it to work?

• Actually I have Drambo :blush: Let me check

• I finally made it work with Gadget (It turns out I have a few apps that send MIDI out :)). I used Taipei to send MIDI out of Gadget to AUM. In AUM I set the Midi Control BUILT-IN to receive from AUM Destination

• edited May 2023

Yep that is exactly how I have set it as well....as I wrote the external app (on the same iPad) is sending the data, AUM is just not responding.

The same app sends MIDI data to an instrument in a channel, so I know it works...
    I also read in the manual that if nothing is loaded, when it goes to background it is paused. So I have made sure there is an active channel with a loaded app while trying all this.

• @pax-eterna said:
    thanks - yes it is. Under routing from the top section (Sources) I have the app connected to MIDI Control (Built In) I have set the parameters under Session load to PC, the channel, and the PC number...nothing!

I have confirmed using MIDI Wrench that the app is indeed sending the correct message on the correct channel. But somehow AUM is simply not "seeing" it...

It is working fine for me. I sent PC commands from Loopy Pro to AUM. I set it up so that Loopy sends from its virtual midi out port and in AUM I routed that to MIDI Control. I also successfully did it my setting AUM as the destination from Loopy and in AUM mapped AUM Destination to MIDI Control.

Both methods worked.

Can you post screenshots of your setup in both the sending app and in in AUM -- and make sure that you have turned the mapping on in AUM. I've made the mistaking of forgetting to do that after setting up the PC or CC information.

• I don't know why it's not working for you. I tried with Drambo too, I used PC as you did and it worked. What's the external app you are using?

• @espiegel123 said:

• and make sure that you have turned the mapping on in AUM. I've made the mistaking of forgetting to do that after setting up the PC or CC information.

Mapping?

• When you set up session loading, you have to assign each item the MIDI command that loads that item -- including the MIDI channel.

• edited May 2023

@branis said:
    I don't know why it's not working for you. I tried with Drambo too, I used PC as you did and it worked. What's the external app you are using?

Nope, neither do I tbh...even Jonatan sees it as setup correctly

See, if that same external app was not getting the MIDI data to the apps in a channel, I'd suspect it was something to do with it, but that works, I can change settings in the channel app with the external app, so that data IS going in to AUM

• @espiegel123 said:
    When you set up session loading, you have to assign each item the MIDI command that loads that item -- including the MIDI channel.

ahh in that case then yes that is all done

• @pax-eterna what did you set as MIDI out port in your external app? If it's AUM then you need to connect AUM destination to MIDI Control in AUM routings

• edited May 2023

haha, ahh yes thanks, no they are all set correctly - sorry for my small pic above.

• @branis said:
    @pax-eterna what did you set as MIDI out port in your external app? If it's AUM then you need to connect AUM destination to MIDI Control in AUM routings

both are channel 16 - the external app has no choice to select an destination app, it just sends to all available ports automatically. So if there is a network port "alive" it will send to it.

• edited May 2023

It's gotta be something to do with the external app and how it processes...thing I dont get is if it works for channel apps in AUM, why not in the system section of AUM??

• @pax-eterna said:
    It's gotta be something to do with the external app and how it processes...thing I dont get is if it works for channel apps in AUM, why not in the system section of AUM??

Please show the setup in the Lumbeat app, too--that is as important as what you have set in AUM

• finally sorted it. It was a routing setup problem. See, UB into the drum app works fine with a direct connection under routing (IE UB to Drum) but for the system operation in AUM there is no need for a link from UB to AUM Control at all.

The routing needs to be AUM Destination to MIDI Control! and only that link.