Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Alchemy presets in Logic Pro

2»

Comments

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    Thanks @el_bo, I’m at work at the moment and can’t watch the videos right now, but will definitely check them out later.

Looking at this description on Apple’s page though, and the diagram of the signal path, doesn’t seem too complicated. Actually looks like something that could be built in Drambo (Dare I say), or… Buttersynth?

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/logicpro/lgsi2618652a/mac

“Up to” Four “sources”, be it sampler, VA, Additive, granular, or spectral? (I had to look that one up; and it appears to be some type of modeling with Additive sine wave harmonics and white noise elements).

Each of these sources has three independent filters for per voice modulation, then runs through an effects send(s), then through the two main filters (serial or parallel), and more effects sends before heading to output.

So why don’t we just build our own “Alchemy”? I know the “big D” is capable of the “morphing”.

As i said, it's not revolutionary; at least not at this point in time. But 14 years ago, when it was first released, it was a really big deal. That's not to say it's a lightweight. It's extremely deep and has a lot going on in the background in terms of its editors etc
    But yes, from the way you're describing it, I can understand why you're perhaps underselling it somewhat.

• @el_bo said:

@Edward_Alexander said:
    Thanks @el_bo, I’m at work at the moment and can’t watch the videos right now, but will definitely check them out later.

Looking at this description on Apple’s page though, and the diagram of the signal path, doesn’t seem too complicated. Actually looks like something that could be built in Drambo (Dare I say), or… Buttersynth?

“Up to” Four “sources”, be it sampler, VA, Additive, granular, or spectral? (I had to look that one up; and it appears to be some type of modeling with Additive sine wave harmonics and white noise elements).

Each of these sources has three independent filters for per voice modulation, then runs through an effects send(s), then through the two main filters (serial or parallel), and more effects sends before heading to output.

So why don’t we just build our own “Alchemy”? I know the “big D” is capable of the “morphing”.

As i said, it's not revolutionary; at least not at this point in time. But 14 years ago, when it was first released, it was a really big deal. That's not to say it's a lightweight. It's extremely deep and has a lot going on in the background in terms of its editors etc
    But yes, from the way you're describing it, I can understand why you're perhaps underselling it somewhat.

I understand. It is deep as you say! I watched a few minutes of each of the videos you shared.

I think the main hurdle of recreating it isn’t the synths themselves, but the interface. There’s an elegance to that morphing slider thing (the one in garage band and Logic for iPad)

• @Edward_Alexander said:

@el_bo said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

I understand. It is deep as you say! I watched a few minutes of each of the videos you shared.

I think the main hurdle of recreating it isn’t the synths themselves, but the interface. There’s an elegance to that morphing slider thing (the one in garage band and Logic for iPad)

Indeed! Just for the oscillator section, including 'Global', there're 5 tabs. Then there's all the modulation types, the matrix, the performance, FX and arp (All tabbed). And that's before the huge back-end for the sampling, additive and spectral editors ;)

• @richardyot said:
    One workaround is to create a new project in GB, add some tracks, each with a preset you like, then open that same project in Logic and save the patches from there. They will show up in your user patches for Alchemy.

I want to bump this up. I just figured this out on my own, myself, and it’s a handy trick. Trying to decide if I want to make a master project file of all of the missing garage band patches and share it. Seems like a little bit of work!

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@richardyot said:
    One workaround is to create a new project in GB, add some tracks, each with a preset you like, then open that same project in Logic and save the patches from there. They will show up in your user patches for Alchemy.

I want to bump this up. I just figured this out on my own, myself, and it’s a handy trick. Trying to decide if I want to make a master project file of all of the missing garage band patches and share it. Seems like a little bit of work!

Good idea, but it would take a while to figure out which patches are missing.

• Personally I will wait for Apple to make the presets available for download...
    Why?
    Because there's currently NO WAY to manage the imported 'stuff' once its inside Logic for iPad.

• @Samu said:
    Personally I will wait for Apple to make the presets available for download...
    Why?
    Because there's currently NO WAY to manage the imported 'stuff' once its inside Logic for iPad.

Wise only more sounds pack preset from Apple updates are the solution and it is what you can expect as any subscription to have more content.

• @Samu said:
    Why?

But if you just transfer only the stuff you really really like, then you'll have a great list of sounds available separately in your instruments patch list. Could be quite a long list, but wouldn’t take too long to get familiar with your real favourites.

• @el_bo said:

@Samu said:
    Why?

But if you just transfer only the stuff you really really like, then you'll have a great list of sounds available separately in your instruments patch list. Could be quite a long list, but wouldn’t take too long to get familiar with your real favourites.

True, but I just collected a few of my favorite sounds and the size of the Logic project became ~4GB with everything consolidated. After importing that the 4GB would end up in a 'void' I can't manage without deleting Logic so no, I won't do that...

• @Samu said:

@el_bo said:

@Samu said:
    Why?

True, but I just collected a few of my favorite sounds and the size of the Logic project became ~4GB with everything consolidated. After importing that the 4GB would end up in a 'void' I can't manage without deleting Logic so no, I won't do that...

I see what you mean. That seems a very large amount though. How many sounds does that count for?

I've gone bare-bones with my Logic install i.e no downloaded content. I'd rather 'spend' that 13GB on only the sounds I transfer from the Mac, rather than tons I will like ever touch. Even if I had more than 64GB storage, that overflowing browser is something I’d probably want to avoid.

• @el_bo said:

@Samu said:

@el_bo said:

@Samu said:
    Why?

I see what you mean. That seems a very large amount though. How many sounds does that count for?

I've gone bare-bones with my Logic install i.e no downloaded content. I'd rather 'spend' that 13GB on only the sounds I transfer from the Mac, rather than tons I will like ever touch. Even if I had more than 64GB storage, that overflowing browser is something I’d probably want to avoid.

I hope that we got access on ssd external storage not only ICloud. Got Air4 so I don’t have but still 200 GB. On new M1 Pro IPad can you use exper alors SSD storage ?

• @richardyot said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@richardyot said:

Good idea, but it would take a while to figure out which patches are missing.

I’m sorta OCD.