Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

For those who use both the desktop and iPad versions of Logic

Was definitely disappointed to discover that LPiOS came without the option to download much of the Sampler and Alchemy content. However, it turns out that all those instruments/sounds, including any/all of the 3.5k Alchemy presets, can be transferred from desktop to iPad. While the Sampler instruments offer zero editing within LPiOS, Alchemy does have a certain amount, depending on what's been set up for the macros, X/Y etc. associated with the patch in question.

With no changes made to those macros, the patch will retain everything as it was originally designed. But with a bit of basic Alchemy know-how, it's possible to replace those macros, and in such a way as to offer a certain amount of editing flexibility once it's on the iPad. ASDR is already seemingly hard-coded to the last 4 knobs, which is a great start. But that still leaves room for FX mixes, filters, Arp modes (including on/off) etc. Definitely a bit of work to do, but the effort only needs to be done for favourite patches.

Of course, this will allow desktop-users to design and share original sounds if so inclined :)

Lastly, perhaps: Track-Stacks can also be transferred back-and forth.

Anyway...It seems that the only mode of transfer is via a project file, which gets saved in 'Package' format, and transferred including the various audio assets (This applies mainly to the sampler instruments, as it seems Alchemy includes the necessary samples within the preset).

So, start loading up a Logic project with your favourite patches, and enjoy them in all their glory, within LPiOS :)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213666

👍🏼

Comments

• I don’t have alchemy desktop. Would you be willing to load up Alchemy presets and share the project file?

Also, I believe I do have some old third-party Alchemy presets. If I got those for you, would you be able to put them into a project file?

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    I don’t have alchemy desktop. Would you be willing to load up Alchemy presets and share the project file?

Yes @el_bo all 3.000 of them please :D ;)

• I'm quite sure the 'extra content' will sooner or later appear in the downloads for iPad Logic.
    (I enabled the notifications so I won't miss anything).

Who knows maybe Apple will drop new content weekly to keep the server-load down :sunglasses:

• edited May 2023

@johnfromberkeley said:
    I don’t have alchemy desktop. Would you be willing to load up Alchemy presets and share the project file?

Also, I believe I do have some old third-party Alchemy presets. If I got those for you, would you be able to put them into a project file?

I had been thinking about looking into the idea.

There are a couple of things, though. I'm only really going to be transferring anywhere near all the presets, and not all at once.

In principle, I have no issue with sharing the spoils. However, I'm not sure what the license/legal implications are. Does anyone have any ideas?

• @R_2 said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

Yes @el_bo all 3.000 of them please :D ;)

Any particular reason you wouldn't want the other 500+ ? ;)

• There's also one gotcha with doing that.

If you save the instrument as a 'preset' in iPad Logic the samples will be linked from the project they were saved from.
    So in a worst case scenario if you remove the project with the samples the preset stops working...

• edited May 2023

@Samu said:
    There's also one gotcha with doing that.

If you save the instrument as a 'preset' in iPad Logic the samples will be linked from the project they were saved from.
    So in a worst case scenario if you remove the project with the samples the preset stops working...

Really? How so? Alchemy patches are self-contained.

• @Samu said:

I noticed this. I tried saving some presets that I bought over from iPad garage band, and couldn’t figure it out.

• @el_bo said:

@Samu said:

Try it...
    Save a Logic project on the Desktop and include 'everything' (samples etc.).
    Load the project into Logic for iPad and Save the Preset.
    Delete the project you used for the preset transfer.
    Create a new project and try to load the saved preset and you'll get an error that some files are missing...
    ...But as long as the preset transfer project is present it will work.

Could be a bug that gets fixed at some point...
    ...this is why I'm interested in how often Apple wish push out updates for iPad Logic...

• edited May 2023

@Samu said:

@el_bo said:

@Samu said:

Try it...
    Create a new project and try to load the saved preset and you'll get an error that some files are missing...

...this is why I'm interested in how often Apple wish push out updates for iPad Logic...

I wonder if you'd be able to locate the preset on desktop and then manually move it into the preset folder on iPadOS instead of doing a Save As.

• @Samu said:

@el_bo said:

@Samu said:

Try it...

That's bizarre. I wonder if the same thing goes for sampler instruments. Will try tomorrow.

Thanks!

• edited May 2023

I’ve brought Alchemy and Sampler tracks across (from Logic Mac) and deleted the projects they were in and the patches are still working for me. You do have to consolidate the project before transfer. Unless the projects are in deleted items and still providing the samples from there?

Edit found the projects in my deleted items and permanently deleted them from there - alchemy and sampler presets still working in new projects.

• @Banquet said:
    I’ve brought Alchemy and Sampler tracks across and deleted the projects they were in and the patches are still working for me. You do have to consolidate the project before transfer. Unless the projects are in deleted items and still providing the samples from there?

By consolidate, do you mean put them into a package? Sampler instruments need samples ticked, but Alchemy presets are just one file, no?

I'll try a few tests tomorrow, saving and deleting projects etc.

• @el_bo said:

@Banquet said:
    I’ve brought Alchemy and Sampler tracks across and deleted the projects they were in and the patches are still working for me. You do have to consolidate the project before transfer. Unless the projects are in deleted items and still providing the samples from there?

By consolidate, do you mean put them into a package? Sampler instruments need samples ticked, but Alchemy presets are just one file, no?

I had to go into library management in LP Mac and select ‘consolidate library’ and then I saved and shared the project by airdrop - not sure if any of that is relevant but presets still working here.

• @Banquet said:

@el_bo said:

@Banquet said:

I had to go into library management in LP Mac and select ‘consolidate library’ and then I saved and shared the project by airdrop - not sure if any of that is relevant but presets still working here.

Ah, interesting. When I transferred an Alchemy patch and sampler instrument the other day, I followed the step here then just transferred it like that. It opened and worked fine on the iPad. Wonder what the difference is when consolidating.

• @NeuM said:

@Samu said:

@el_bo said:

@Samu said:

Try it...

I wonder if you'd be able to locate the preset on desktop and then manually move it into the preset folder on iPadOS instead of doing a Save As.

Tried this first day, iOS Logic won’t recognise the preset from desktop Alchemy. But, what @Samu said, when you delete an importing project that contains a transferred preset you lose the preset, this is concerning.

• @Luxthor said:

Tried this first day, iOS Logic won’t recognise the preset from desktop Alchemy. But, what @Samu said, when you delete an importing project that contains a transferred preset you lose the preset, this is concerning.

I will do a bit more testing on this next week or so...
    ...what I plan to do is to create a project with some of my favorite sounds, consolidate everything.

Load the project into iPad Logic and make sure the sounds work, save them as presets and then delete the project I imported them from...

The idea is to save 'Track Presets' so I get all the effects that a sound uses, not just the base instrument without the effects.
    I urge everyone who has access Logic on the desktop and iPad to assist in testing these features...
    ...could be 'user malfunction' on my part swell since I'm just learning the app.

Those who apparently have had access to the app for a longer longer period of time should honestly step-in and share their experiences unless they are still under strict Apple NDA so they can get access to new betas...

This will be my 'Day 5' with Logic.

• edited May 2023

@Samu said:

@Luxthor said:

...what I plan to do is to create a project with some of my favorite sounds, consolidate everything.

Load the project into iPad Logic and make sure the sounds work, save them as presets and then delete the project I imported them from...

The idea is to save 'Track Presets' so I get all the effects that a sound uses, not just the base instrument without the effects.
    I urge everyone who has access Logic on the desktop and iPad to assist in testing these features...
    ...could be 'user malfunction' on my part swell since I'm just learning the app.

Those who apparently have had access to the app for a longer longer period of time should honestly step-in and share their experiences unless they are still under strict Apple NDA so they can get access to new betas...

Happy to test to try and find a winning combination. But was wondering, in the case of broken preset links from deleted project, whether just re-transferring the initial preset project back to the same place would be enough for the presets to once again be recognised. Is that something you've already tried?

• @Samu said:

@Luxthor said:

Done simple test;

1. Made preset on desktop Alchemy, save preset, save ‘Transfer’ project.
    2. Copy ‘Transfer’ project on iCloud.
    3. Open ‘Transfer’ project in iPad Logic. Select Alchemy, save preset, browser location is ‘Plug-in Presets>User’
    4. Close ‘Transfer’ project
    5. Delete ‘Transfer’ project. Go to Files App, in ‘Recently Deleted’ delete ‘transfer’ project permanently.
    6. Open new project with Alchemy track, in browser location ‘Plug-in Presets>User’ , preset is still there.

So everything is working fine. For now.

• @Luxthor said:

@Samu said:

@Luxthor said:

Done simple test;

3. Open ‘Transfer’ project in iPad Logic. Select Alchemy, save preset, browser location is ‘Plug-in Presets>User’
    5. Delete ‘Transfer’ project. Go to Files App, in ‘Recently Deleted’ delete ‘transfer’ project permanently.
    6. Open new project with Alchemy track, in browser location ‘Plug-in Presets>User’ , preset is still there.

How does the iCloud part go for you? When I tried the preset transfer the other day, I tried to copy the project to the iCloud folder on the side-bar of 'Finder'. It brought up a bar showing transfer was in process, but it just stayed there without completing. I don’t ever use iCloud, save for automatic stuff, so maybe this is user-error.

• @Luxthor said:

Done simple test;

Goodie!
    Could have been a user-error on my side as well.
    Today I'll be focusing on learning and understanding the Alchemy Sampler inside-out.

• @el_bo said:

@Luxthor said:

@Samu said:

@Luxthor said:

Done simple test;

How does the iCloud part go for you? When I tried the preset transfer the other day, I tried to copy the project to the iCloud folder on the side-bar of 'Finder'. It brought up a bar showing transfer was in process, but it just stayed there without completing. I don’t ever use iCloud, save for automatic stuff, so maybe this is user-error.

99% Working just fine. That 1% is when sometimes Notes won't update instantly, and copy on desktop, paste in iPad/iPhone need time.

Also subscribed to iCloud +(200Gb).

• @Samu said:

@Luxthor said:

Done simple test;

Goodie!
    Could have been a user-error on my side as well.
    Today I'll be focusing on learning and understanding the Alchemy Sampler inside-out.

Forgot to mention, I did the same Alchemy patch with a bunch of internal FX, all working fine. Ofc. Alchemy is such a complex synth, we certainly need more testing.

• Will this same technique work for Sampler instruments? ?

• @Luxthor said:

@el_bo said:

@Luxthor said:

@Samu said:

@Luxthor said:

Done simple test;

99% Working just fine. That 1% is when sometimes Notes won't update instantly, and copy on desktop, paste in iPad/iPhone need time.

Also subscribed to iCloud +(200Gb).

Thanks! When I first tried it, turned out I was at 4.9 used of my free 5gig. Thought that might’ve been the problem. But the same thing happened after I upgraded to 50GB.

Anyway…just tried with preset project I transferred the other day. Re-loaded it, saved the patches and deleted all traces of the transfer project.

First tried to call them up from where 'My Instrument Patches' as they automatically get stored there. But they didn’t work. So then I loaded up Alchemy and Sampler, to try and load my patches from there, and they worked. Strangely, afterwards I could pad both the Alchemy and Sampler instruments from 'My Instrument Patches'

So it would seem to work :)

What are your feelings about sharing the spoils? I don’t mind doing the work, but I’m just cautious.

• @realdawei said:
    Will this same technique work for Sampler instruments? ?

Yes! I have tested it :)

• @el_bo said:

@realdawei said:

Nice..thanks

• @realdawei said:

@el_bo said:

@realdawei said:

Nice..thanks

Unlike Alchemy which combines presets and samples under one patch, Sampler instruments have samples separate from the presets. When saving the project on the desktop end, you need to make sure you include those samples. The document in my first post should help.

• @el_bo said:

@realdawei said:

@el_bo said:

@realdawei said:

Nice..thanks

Unlike Alchemy which combines presets and samples under one patch, Sampler instruments have samples separate from the presets. When saving the project on the desktop end, you need to make sure you include those samples. The document in my first post should help.

So there still compatibility problems that should stop pro using iOS to work after on Desktop 🖥️ as an hobbyist Incant see any interest to use again desktop Logic it will be full Logic iOS for me and I will forget Logic on Mac.

• @BerlinFx said:

@el_bo said:

@realdawei said:

@el_bo said:

@realdawei said:

Nice..thanks

So there still compatibility problems that should stop pro using iOS to work after on Desktop 🖥️ as an hobbyist Incant see any interest to use again desktop Logic it will be full Logic iOS for me and I will forget Logic on Mac.

No compatibility issues, just a difference in how two different instruments handle preset management. Both of these instruments were developed at different times by different developers. Makes sense there'd be some different conventions.

As for comparing desktop and iPad? I prefer using the desktop version by a very clear margin. If I had to choose one over the other, there'd be nothing to think about.