Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which AUv3 synths do you (plan to) use in Logic Pro iPad?

edited May 2023 in Logic Pro

Well, to answer my own question first, I love Buttersynth for phat basses and screaming Trance leads.

I haven't used Bleass' synths in Logic Pro yet, but I plan to.

Hilda is great both for Ambient Drones AND Minimal Techno.

Of course I'd be remiss if I didn't also mention my favourite romplers Pure Synth Platinum 2, Module Pro, Electribe Wave (I use it as a rompler), and of course Beathawk.

So, how about you? :) What are your faves to use in Logic Pro/that you plan to use in Logic Pro?

Comments

• Actually I should use only stock plugin as I do on LP Desktop after some months I will only use Hilda as AUv3 synth.

I’ll still use Cubasis 3 so I got the freedom to use all my fav synth Hilda.

I bought so many apps that I don’t use a lot that I should stop to buy any apps except 1 or 2 that I want for specific jaming.

• Trooper UI is great in Logic - seems to record the automation nicely too.

• @monz0id said:
    Trooper UI is great in Logic - seems to record the automation nicely too.

Do you have Yonac's Steel Guitar? And if so, have you tried it yet as an AUv3?

• Gonna be honest, kinda thinking of having a go at just what comes with it… I mean this 14gb library is pretty wild. I was originally considering using my own drum samples and stuff but there’s A LOT of stuff in here now.

For reference the previously fully maxed out GarageBand was like ~4gb, so it’s a pretty dang big difference..

That said though still gonna use Rhino, Barkfilter and some other AUv3 FX odds and ends. But going to even try stock things for those first…

• @icsleepers said:
    Gonna be honest, kinda thinking of having a go at just what comes with it… I mean this 14gb library is pretty wild. I was originally considering using my own drum samples and stuff but there’s A LOT of stuff in here now.

For reference the previously fully maxed out GarageBand was like ~4gb, so it’s a pretty dang big difference..

That said though still gonna use Rhino, Barkfilter and some other AUv3 FX odds and ends. But going to even try stock things for those first…

VirSyn's Bark Filter is much better than the spectral filter in Logic Pro (at least on desktop).

• @NeuM said:

@icsleepers said:
    Gonna be honest, kinda thinking of having a go at just what comes with it… I mean this 14gb library is pretty wild. I was originally considering using my own drum samples and stuff but there’s A LOT of stuff in here now.

VirSyn's Bark Filter is much better than the spectral filter in Logic Pro (at least on desktop).

Yeah I’m still doing the Triple Band thing (sorry, what can I say lol) - I REALLY dig Rhino but I’m gonna give the Amp Designer and newly available stomp boxes a fair shake (I didn’t hate some of the results in GB so I’m hoping the experience will be the same here).

Can’t lie, I spent a good solid two hours just testing stuff and I’m pretty blown away. This is exactly what I was hoping would at some point be added to GarageBand, and so much more

• @icsleepers said:

@NeuM said:

@icsleepers said:

Yeah I’m still doing the Triple Band thing (sorry, what can I say lol) - I REALLY dig Rhino but I’m gonna give the Amp Designer and newly available stomp boxes a fair shake (I didn’t hate some of the results in GB so I’m hoping the experience will be the same here).

Can’t lie, I spent a good solid two hours just testing stuff and I’m pretty blown away. This is exactly what I was hoping would at some point be added to GarageBand, and so much more

On this second day I think we're seeing more people who are now getting over the initial learning curve and we're seeing more experiences like yours now.

• @icsleepers said:

@NeuM said:

@icsleepers said:

I haven't done the TripleBand thing in a while, but it's still a great plugin for that and other such uses.

Big same here.

@icsleepers said:

No lies there. Definitely a huge difference! I bought an iPad Mini 6 which arrives as soon as Friday, and I purchased Sample Crate today just in case I need it in slide-over mode. But I'm not sure if I'm going to redownload every last sample pack that I currently have on my iPad due to all the high-quality samples already within Logic Pro. (I have a feeling I will redownload the sample packs but only keep the drums and FX.)

• @NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

Yeah, just had a look - is there a fretless option available for the play surface?

• @icsleepers said:

The full meal deal for Logic Pro on Mac is about 63.36 GB of sound library (if you include the "Legacy and Compatibility" stuff). So there's a lot of content in the desktop version that didn't make it to iPad for whatever reason. I'm curious to see if that additional content will make its way to iPad over time. I've come across at least a few sample-based instruments that are not present, but are there in desktop and in iPad GarageBand (fingerstyle bass is one example)

• All of them, right? Anything that works.

• Only the ones that also work on Mac M1. I’m currently having a massive clear out.

• It's very unlikely I'll end up keeping much of the extra sound content that can be downloaded for Logic. I only have Logic and Moog Model D installed on a fresh new OS installation. And having only downloaded 6 or 7 of Logic's sound packs, I've already used 22GB of my 64GB available space. Unfortunately, it's not possible to have the presets and drum samples without also having to keep the Apple Loops (The 'lion's share' of the data amount), which aside from loops of percussion performances, I never use.

So, I'll see what I'm left with.

In the end I'll probably try to find some use for all the instruments and FX I've bought over the years, but some that might become go-to's are those that are also available on Mac. These include the Moog Model D and Model 15 (Also Animoog, if you own it). I also own Synthmaster 2 Player on both Mac and iOS. An having bought the expanded free set on both OS' that means I have around 2000 presets that should work the same on both systems, and mean moving between the two platforms with less bouncing needed.

• edited May 2023

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

Yeah, just had a look - is there a fretless option available for the play surface?

No, but you can completely de-emphasize the frets by going into the preferences (the "X" made of a wrench and screwdriver) and turning down "Note Snapping". Doing this just makes it more difficult to keep it in tune when you slide.

• @NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

No, but you can completely de-emphasize the frets by going into the preferences (the "X" made of a wrench and screwdriver) and turning down "Note Snapping". Doing this just makes it more difficult to keep it in tune when you slide.

Ok, cheers, I’ll try that.

I haven’t downloaded the Strings pack yet, but I assume they will have a non-fretted fingerboard?

• @NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

There are many option surfaces type depending on the instrument , what I hadn’t find is a MPE sea board inside LP ?

• @monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

I haven’t downloaded the Strings pack yet, but I assume they will have a non-fretted fingerboard?

Oh, wait. I thought you were referring to the Yonac app. LOL. Yes, there's a non-fretted fingerboard in GarageBand, and I'm assuming it's still in LP.

• @NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

Perhaps I'm completely misunderstanding, but any play surface can be substituted for the default one, and frets can be removed from fretted instruments.

• edited May 2023

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

Oh, wait. I thought you were referring to the Yonac app. LOL. Yes, there's a non-fretted fingerboard in GarageBand, and I'm assuming it's still in LP.

Hmmm…couldn’t find it - if you do, please let me know where it is!

@BerlinFx said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

There are many option surfaces type depending on the instrument , what I hadn’t find is a MPE sea board inside LP ?

No, haven’t found that either.

• @monz0id said:

Just above the keyboard's pitch slider is a tiny keyboard icon. Clicking on that allows you to change playing surface. Then further along the keyboard, to the right, are 3 dots/ Click that icon, and select "Surface Settings". It's a context-dependent menu, but if you have the fretboard selected from the previous menu, you'll be able to choose a specific instrument layout and turn frets on/off. Here's also the place where you can assign polyphonic pitchbend and Y-settings, for the keyboard instruments, as well as the different velocity modes and etc.

• @el_bo said:

@monz0id said:

Just above the keyboard's pitch slider is a tiny keyboard icon. Clicking on that allows you to change playing surface. Then further along the keyboard, to the right, are 3 dots/ Click that icon, and select "Surface Settings". It's a context-dependent menu, but if you have the fretboard selected from the previous menu, you'll be able to choose a specific instrument layout and turn frets on/off. Here's also the place where you can assign polyphonic pitchbend and Y-settings, for the keyboard instruments, as well as the different velocity modes and etc.

Ah that’s it, thanks - I thought ‘Surface Settings’ was a heading, clicking that turns off the frets.

• @monz0id said:

@el_bo said:

@monz0id said:

Ah that’s it, thanks - I thought ‘Surface Settings’ was a heading, clicking that turns off the frets.

Yeah...It does look like a heading, rather than a selectable menu.

• edited May 2023

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@BerlinFx said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

The non-fretted fingerboard is actually the stringed instruments playing surface. It's in GarageBand, but I don't know if it's in LP. BUT there is another way to get a non-fretted fingerboard effect: By playing your notes using the keyboard, but in the "Pitch" setting (there are three dots which appear above the keyboard, "Glissando", "Scroll" and "Pitch"). The Pitch setting allows you to enter sliding notes, which is very useful for bass and guitar, but it also works for synths.

This image is from GarageBand iOS:

• @NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@BerlinFx said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

The non-fretted fingerboard is actually the stringed instruments playing surface. It's in GarageBand, but I don't know if it's in LP. BUT there is another way to get a non-fretted fingerboard effect: By playing your notes using the keyboard, but in the "Pitch" setting (there are three dots which appear above the keyboard, "Glissando", "Scroll" and "Pitch"). The Pitch setting allows you to enter sliding notes, which is very useful for bass and guitar, but it also works for synths.

Check out @el_bo’s post above. Sorry, can’t retype it, our cats just had a stroke so pretty frantic here

• @monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@BerlinFx said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

Check out @el_bo’s post above. Sorry, can’t retype it, our cats just had a stroke so pretty frantic here

Take care of serious matters first. No problem.

• @monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@BerlinFx said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@monz0id said:

Oh no. 🥺 I'm so sorry to hear that. I will pray.

• @monz0id said:

:( :(

• I’ve hit the nuclear option. I’ve deleted every single plug-in that I can’t mirror on my MacBook Air M1.

I ain’t got much left.

I want 100% compatible between Logic on iPad and Mac. Also wont be buying anymore plugins that aren’t available on both platforms.

• @NeuM @jwmmakerofmusic @el_bo thanks guys. Vet seems to think he had a heart attack, plus some other ailments. Seems he’s older than we thought - my mother-in-law took him in as a stray, and asked us to look after him just before she died, so there’s a bit of an added attachment there. He’s back in the vets today (there goes my new iPad money!) for scans, but not looking hopeful. My sister died a few weeks ago, so not a great month.

Anyway, don’t want to derail the thread, just wanted to say thanks. I’ll get back to moaning about Logic again soon!

• Every last one of them 😂 but seriously, I’m sure I’ll end up using them all at some point. But Mela, Buttersynth, Twin3, Trooper, etc are favorites that I’ll always use.