Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Logic Pro for iPad - How does it run? (Performance Review)

In this video I check out how Logic Pro performs on four different iPad models; a pimped out 12.9" M2 iPad Pro, a base model 11" M1 iPad Pro, an iPad Mini 6th gen and a base model 8th gen iPad…

Comments

• A very good comparison.

• Good move. Especially since users on this site seem to be having such wildly varying experiences.

• Thanks @TheGarageBandGuide

For kicks I downloaded the benchmark project and set my M2 MacBook Air (24GB RAM) to a buffer size of 512 and no hard multicore settings and reached 83 tracks. My M1 iPad Pro with 16GB RAM reached 30 tracks.

• Good video.
    Would also be interesting to test how battery % hungry it is on the M1/2 Pro’s (with many animated/running graphics at play).

• @R_2 said:
    Good video.
    Would also be interesting to test how battery % hungry it is on the M1/2 Pro’s (with many animated/running graphics at play).

I can only speak from personal experience, but it absolutely devours the 12.9” Pro’s battery very fast.

• @mjm1138 said:
    Thanks @TheGarageBandGuide

For kicks I downloaded the benchmark project and set my M2 MacBook Air (24GB RAM) to a buffer size of 512 and no hard multicore settings and reached 83 tracks. My M1 iPad Pro with 16GB RAM reached 30 tracks.

Yes, I think there’s something more at play performance wise on the iPads. I’ve seen a few people say that Cubasis can handle more instances of heavier plugins like Minimoog Model D at once.

• R_2R_2
    edited May 2023

@TheGarageBandGuide said:

@R_2 said:
    Good video.

I can only speak from personal experience, but it absolutely devours the 12.9” Pro’s battery very fast.

:'(

• _ki_ki
    edited May 2023

@TheGarageBandGuide Very interesting comparison and test. For reference, how many tracks you can play on your M2 Pro Mac Mini with 512 buffersize ?

The M2 Pro has 12 cores with 24MB cache, the M2 has 8 cores with 8MB cache with nearly the same clockrate - as a rough guess i would suspect a bit more than 52 tracks (35 * 12/8) due to the larger caches.

[Update] Since the M2 Macbook Air of @mjm1138 did run 83 tracks at 512 buffersize, the M2 Pro will likely run more tracks. I suspect the difference to the M2 iPad probably results from in the cpu power/performance management and cache size/memory speeds.

• @_ki said:
    @TheGarageBandGuide Very interesting comparison and test. For reference, how many tracks you can play on your M2 Pro Mac Mini with 512 buffersize ?

The M2 Pro has 12 cores with 24MB cache, the M2 has 8 cores with 8MB cache with nearly the same clockrate - as a rough guess i would suspect a bit more than 52 tracks (35 * 12/8) due to the larger caches.

[Update] Since the M2 Macbook Air of @mjm1138 did run 83 tracks at 512 buffersize, the M2 Pro will likely run more tracks. I suspect the difference to the M2 iPad probably results from in the cpu power/performance management and cache size/memory speeds.

Seems obvious now you’ve said it, I really should have tried the M2 Pro at 512 samples too.

• @TheGarageBandGuide said:

@R_2 said:
    Good video.

Ditto. I can drop 30-40% in an hour of light use.

• It’s not so battery-hungry on my 2018 12.9-inch Pro. It was for the first few hours, but seems to be no worse than any other apps now. I am far from maxing things out though. Even my most complex songs only have 10-15 tracks.

• Seems strange that the maximum buffer size is set to 512. I usually run Auria mixes at 4096 to maximise CPU use and 90% of AUv3 plugins support this without issue these days.

On an iPad it would make a lot of sense to give us the maximum available, or at least support a buffer size of 1024

• R_2R_2
    edited May 2023

@Tarekith said:

@TheGarageBandGuide said:

@R_2 said:
    Good video.

Ditto. I can drop 30-40% in an hour of light use.

I hate Korg Gadget’s battery ‘drain’ and hoped Logic would perform better in that regard.
    The mixed reports about battery consumption don’t surprise me. It depends a lot on what’s being done and on which screen.
    Seeing how the M1/2 are hardly pushed CPU wise, yet still use that amount of battery is odd.

Hopefully they find a way to improve this over time.