Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Questions about how to do X in Logic, whether Logic has Y etc etc

Comments

• After more investigation, I find that in fact note repeat slots are updating immediately - the problem is that in the default surface view, slot 1 is not showing. I need to expand the view upwards to see slot 1. Basically I was changing slot 1 but seeing no change. Seems strange that it is the later slots shown when the view is smaller, not the earlier ones. It would also seem ideal that there could be a scroll function for these rather than the need to expand the control surface view

• Also wondering why the keyboard surface is the only one that seems to have poly pitchbend built into the control surface (I know there is a separate pitch wheel for the other interfaces - but what if I want to have, for example, a fretted guitar view that allows me to play mpe style glides while playing an mpe instrument like Sculpture?). In something like Velocity Keyboard you can set mpe to channel per string or per note. Sure I can use the fret less violin, but that is hella hard to play accurately, unless you’re a violinist or used to playing another instrument with no visual guide for notes.

• Is there a way to save an FX chain? Like a bunch of plugins on the Stereo Out? The manual doesn't seem to mention this.

• edited June 2023

Does anyone know how Logic handles imported files storage-wise?

My workflow involves me importing full songs for chopping purposes (usually into quick sampler, sometimes into the timeline). I have a “Samples” folder which I copied to BM3’s and CB3’s respective locations, which has allowed me to use these samples in projects directly in these DAWs without taking up any additional storage.

However in Logic the file size of each project seems to contain the full size of the audio imported, which seems very inefficient if Logic truly is duplicating the file rather than referencing it.

• As you can see, I’m digging into the surface controls today. Now I have encountered another puzzler. I load the Guzheng, and set y mapping to modulation. Yet, no matter where I press on the y axis there is no modulation of sound. And yet, when I use the mod wheel, I hear that the mod wheel is set up to work with this patch and does make a difference. So why do I hear no difference when using the Y axis to modulate the Guzheng’s sound?

• @Gavinski said:
    As you can see, I’m digging into the surface controls today. Now I have encountered another puzzler. I load the Guzheng, and set y mapping to modulation. Yet, no matter where I press on the y axis there is no modulation of sound. And yet, when I use the mod wheel, I hear that the mod wheel is set up to work with this patch and does make a difference. So why do I hear no difference when using the Y axis to modulate the Guzheng’s sound?

OK - another one figured out - you still need to adjust the mod wheel to get the y axis effects. If mod wheel is set to max you will hear the y axis manipulations very clearly. As others have said, despite being 1000 pages long, the manual is not very thorough - lots of experimentation needed with this, which shouldn’t really be the case, imo

• One thing that may confuse people is that Y axis manipulation in the Logic keyboard seems always to be relative - ie, you have to slide up to get modulation. In many other mpe implementations there is a choice between relative and absolute Y axis control. If absolute, you won’t need to slide to get modulations. Pressing the bottom of the key will have no modulation, pressing the top will have full modulation.

As always, I may be wrong about this, and if so, please put me right!

• I am also wondering if some of the issues I have had with pitch bend using the keyboard surface in Logic iPad (like non-smooth pitchbends) would be fixed by tampering with the ‘midi mono’ settings referred to in the manual. Here, for example, I’m trying to see if I can get the EFM1 to glide smoothly between notes instead of this terrible snapping that seems to happen with every mpe instrument in Logic iPad when Poly Pitchbend is enabled and you try to use the logic keyboard control surface.
    Screenshot:

Two problems I find:
    1. The manual seems only to refer to external keyboards here - does that mean the control surfaces on the touch screen will not work properly - is a totally smooth pitch bend just impossible using the inbuilt logic keyboard?
    2. The manual refers to a ‘midi mono pop up menu’. But how to access this pop up menu? I have no idea.
    3. Velocity keyboard does perfectly smooth glides on my current global midi settings, so I don’t think there can be anything wrong there.

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@Gavinski said:
    OK - seems you have to close the sidebar and reopen it again for the changes to take effect - any good reason for that? Seems clunky af - why shouldn’t it change immediately! Also - sustain does not work in tandem with note repeat. This makes no sense to me. No to mention the fact that, in general, sustained notes are not visible, as they are in AUM for example. That means any time you sustain notes, you have to remember what notes you have played if you want to make modifications, you can’t visualize what notes are being held. Bad implementation - unless there is a setting I don’t know about to enable this

For me it works to change note value and get immediate response, without closing the plugin GUI…

Talking about Note Repeat MIDI FX, have you get acquainted with Scriper FX yet (as MIDI FX)?
    Pretty awesome!

If not, check this great video about Scripter FX:

I hadn't paid Scripter any attention yet, but these examples convince me that I really need to now!

• edited June 2023

@Gavinski said:

1. The manual seems only to refer to external keyboards here - does that mean the control surfaces on the touch screen will not work properly - is a totally smooth pitch bend just impossible using the inbuilt logic keyboard?
    2. The manual refers to a ‘midi mono pop up menu’. But how to access this pop up menu? I have no idea.
    3. Velocity keyboard does perfectly smooth glides on my current global midi settings, so I don’t think there can be anything wrong there.

I only just started poking at Logic Pro for iPad but I think it might just be that the built in keyboard surface simply isnt very good in this respect, it doesnt behave in the way we've become used to from the playing surfaces in other apps.

As for the midi mono mode popup, certainly in Sample Alchemy I can get to those settings by clicking on the 'more' three dots in a circle icon at top right of the main Sample Alchemy window, then selecting MIDI settings from the menu that appears.

• @SteveElbows said:

@Gavinski said:

I only just started poking at Logic Pro for iPad but I think it might just be that the built in keyboard surface simply isnt very good in this respect, it doesnt behave in the way we've become used to from the playing surfaces in other apps.

As for the midi mono mode popup, certainly in Sample Alchemy I can get to those settings by clicking on the 'more' three dots in a circle icon at top right of the main Sample Alchemy window, then selecting MIDI settings from the menu that appears.

When I click on those 3 dots I don’t see any midi setting. Am I doing something wrong?

• @Gavinski said:

@SteveElbows said:

@Gavinski said:

When I click on those 3 dots I don’t see any midi setting. Am I doing something wrong?

Yes, there’s another set of three dots on the grey toolbar (lighter grey) below where you are.

• Think it’s these 3 dots:

• Lot’s of them ‘3-Dotters’ floating around or as some call them ‘UFO Buttons’ :sunglasses:
    (Today I’ll focus on finding ‘hidden’ stuff, long-taps here and there, random swipes around the UI etc.).

• @ik2000 said:
    Think it’s these 3 dots:

Ah, thanks!

@Samu said:
    Lot’s of them ‘3-Dotters’ floating around or as some call them ‘UFO Buttons’ :sunglasses:
    (Today I’ll focus on finding ‘hidden’ stuff, long-taps here and there, random swipes around the UI etc.).

Yeah Samu, being as deep as it is it really makes sense to take one feature at a time and just try to understand via the manual and your own testing to the best of your ability. Definitely one of those apps that, if you're not using it regularly, you'll forget how to do things

• @Gavinski said:
    Definitely one of those apps that, if you're not using it regularly, you'll forget how to do things

Lol, my 'brain' is a bit different...
    ...If I've seen it at least a few times the likelihood of me remember it 'forever' is quite high :sunglasses:
    (I'll also revisit the manual and see if there's something 'obvious' I've missed being a dyslectic).

As I'm not a audio looper-type person I'll postpone digging into the loop-grid for now...

I still hope to find some 'swipe gestures' to avoid taking a trip into the bottom bar to enter piano-roll etc.
    Things to try would be double-tap with two-fingers, swipe in any direction on a track/selection etc.
    (Making the track view smaller is a swipe to the left gesture in the tracks area and swipe right to bring it back).

Thankfully I feel 'at home' with Logic for iPad and it doesn't cause me any stress like some other apps do....

Cheers!

• @Gavinski said:

@ik2000 said:
    Think it’s these 3 dots:

Ah, thanks!

@Samu said:
    Lot’s of them ‘3-Dotters’ floating around or as some call them ‘UFO Buttons’ :sunglasses:

Yeah Samu, being as deep as it is it really makes sense to take one feature at a time and just try to understand via the manual and your own testing to the best of your ability. Definitely one of those apps that, if you're not using it regularly, you'll forget how to do things

For me it took days before I discovered the three dot button in Quick Sampler - there was a huge amount of commands I missed before...

• @richardyot said:
    Is there a way to save an FX chain? Like a bunch of plugins on the Stereo Out? The manual doesn't seem to mention this.

It’s not obvious at all, but what you have to do is select “Show Output Track’ in the track list, then tap on the track (not in the mixer) and you’ll see a “Save Patch” option. These go under “Audio Patches” in the browser. You can then drag it to the track to reload it in another project. Hopefully these screenshots show what I mean.

• @obijohn said:

@richardyot said:
    Is there a way to save an FX chain? Like a bunch of plugins on the Stereo Out? The manual doesn't seem to mention this.

It’s not obvious at all, but what you have to do is select “Show Output Track’ in the track list, then tap on the track (not in the mixer) and you’ll see a “Save Patch” option. These go under “Audio Patches” in the browser. You can then drag it to the track to reload it in another project. Hopefully these screenshots show what I mean.

Thanks! I'll give that a go.

• @obijohn that worked! I already had the output channel visible, but I was looking in the plug-in tiles area and in the mixer, I never thought to tap on the exposed channel. Thanks 👍

• Anyone… I still can’t figure out how to quickly edit velocities In a midi region. How do I create a velocity crescendo of all the notes in a region?
    The standard way is to display velocities as graph and you just draw a line over them. I can’t find anything like this in LP. In LP you can edit them one at a time (painful), or set them all to the same value (I want a crescendo) or process them at runtime with the velocity plugin. But I just want to draw a crescendo. I can do it with any cc, AT, pitch bend and more. But not velocity.
    Any advice is welcome.

• @boomer said:
    Anyone… I still can’t figure out how to quickly edit velocities In a midi region. How do I create a velocity crescendo of all the notes in a region?
    The standard way is to display velocities as graph and you just draw a line over them. I can’t find anything like this in LP. In LP you can edit them one at a time (painful), or set them all to the same value (I want a crescendo) or process them at runtime with the velocity plugin. But I just want to draw a crescendo. I can do it with any cc, AT, pitch bend and more. But not velocity.
    Any advice is welcome.

I haven’t found a way to do this in the piano roll editor for velocity yet either. You can temporarily convert up to four bars of the region to a pattern. Inside the pattern editor, on a note (kit piece) by note basis, you can get this workflow of dragging a line across to do a velocity crescendo. Then you can convert back to MIDI region.

• edited June 2023

How can I save a custom AU preset in Logic Pro iPad so that it's available when I share to the Mac?

I've saved custom AU presets for my project on the iPad. I'm using the TAL Juno plugin. When I load the same project on the Mac the custom AU presets aren't there? What do I have to do to ensure my custom presets are exported/re-loaded correctly.

• @SuperNiCd said:city.
    I haven’t found a way to do this in the piano roll editor for velocity yet either.

Glad it’s not just me. Is there a way to report this to Apple? There is no way something this basic is intentional - got to be a bug or oversight. Can’t believe more people haven’t noticed it.

• @boomer said:

@SuperNiCd said:city.
    I haven’t found a way to do this in the piano roll editor for velocity yet either.

Glad it’s not just me. Is there a way to report this to Apple? There is no way something this basic is intentional - got to be a bug or oversight. Can’t believe more people haven’t noticed it.

Google: logic for iPad feedback - yes, everyone needs to report everything. Wouldn't like to be one of the ones tasked with processing it all at Apple, mind you, I bet they've had a ton of bug reports, but even more reports from people who couldn't figure out how to do something that is actually possible 😂

• Question, on the mac version of Logic, when you create a drum track, as for example an 8 bar midi event, it is possible to generate an intro before this bar.

Is this possible in IOS version? I guess not (yet)?

• @boomer said:

I’d be curious whether this is in the desktop version, and whether this is an iPad specific omission or if this is just not the “Logic Way” of doing things. I don’t have the desktop version so I don’t know.

• @raabje said:
    Question, on the mac version of Logic, when you create a drum track, as for example an 8 bar midi event, it is possible to generate an intro before this bar.

Sure, just do it manually.

• @SuperNiCd said:

@boomer said:

I’d be curious whether this is in the desktop version, and whether this is an iPad specific omission or if this is just not the “Logic Way” of doing things. I don’t have the desktop version so I don’t know.

Guess it's iPad specific?!

On Dekstop Logic velocity is handled the same way as any automation data and you can use a line to to create velocity ramps on a selection of notes.

• @NeuM said:

@raabje said:
    Question, on the mac version of Logic, when you create a drum track, as for example an 8 bar midi event, it is possible to generate an intro before this bar.

Sure, just do it manually.

I explained it a bit wrong probably. I just tried it on my macbook, and the way it works is in an empty project, I activate arrangement menu. And from there I label the timeline with intro-verse-chorus-bridge-outro.

Then I make for example the intro shorter, not 8 bars but 4 bars. And then I choose a drummer track, and these blocks are automatically filled with drum parts that match with the arrangement label. So instantly 5 different drum parts are created.

Logic for IOS only has markers that can be placed on the timeline, not arrangements labels.