Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Questions about how to do X in Logic, whether Logic has Y etc etc

Comments

• @Gavinski said:
    I asked earlier but didn't get a response. How to use a 3rd party lfo to modulate any parameters in Logic iPad? Thnx!

You’d be better of using the built-in modulator modules for now…
    …or record the output from say Rozeta LFO and copy the automation data to another automation track which automates the desired parameter.

• edited May 2023

@Gavinski said:
    I asked earlier but didn't get a response. How to use a 3rd party lfo to modulate any parameters in Logic iPad? Thnx!

@richardyot

It [controlling an AU FX parameter real-time (not by copying automation) with a third party LFO MIDI plug-in on an audio-track (it’s simpler on a MIDI-track) is possible via a workaround (just tested it with Rozeta LFO):

1. Create a MIDI-controlled effect track (last option in the instruments menu).
    2. Load Loopy as an instrument there (or another instrument AU you can pipe audio through via a side-chain). This effectively creates an audio-track with MIDI FX slots.
    3. Assign your original audio-track as the side-chain source and mute it. That audio is now running through Loopy.
    4. Load Rozeta LFO (or similar) as a MIDI FX on your Loopy track and load the Logic stock ‘modifier’ MIDI FX after it.
    5. Load the audio effect plugin which parameter you want modified by the Rozeta LFO in an audio FX slot (take note: for this to work it must be an AU adequately working with touch automation as not all do, the Unfiltered Audio plugins work fine, I used Tails).
    6. In the modifier plugin set the input event to the Rozeta LFO CC you want to use to control a parameter of Tails (or your specific audio effect parameter).
    7. Set the output event to ‘learn plugin parameter’.
    8. Open Tails and wiggle the knob of the parameter you want LFO’ed.
    9. Voilà. ;)
  • Has anybody had any luck figuring out how to use keyswitches to switch articulations in either of the Studio Instruments in Logic for iPad?
    I have tried a midi controller, and the on screen keyboard, but cannot get any response from using keys in the C1 octave.

• @Gavinski said:

@richardyot said:

@Gavinski said:

It might not be possible, there is no MIDI routing between channels. This means that a MIDI effect can’t be routed to an audio channel AFAIK.

Yikes... Aum and apematrix still rule this piece of ground then. Thnx Richard

That’s why FabFilter made it possible to put their FX plugins in the instrument slot, so you can for instance control the position of filters with MIDI data. Audio signal in that case you route via sidechain input. (ofc. you loose option to properly sidechain same track)

• After 7 days in it seriously it was really difficult from my week brain , all that workaround kill my creativity so I came back more on Cubasis 3 to create again even if I will carryon learning a bit slowly Logic IPad.

Even I bought LoopyPro to enjoy a bit of jaming as music is vital therapy for me.

I want to do music easily in a Daw not finding hacks and workaround it is tiring , as it is only V1.0 I will subscribe for 1 year hoping to be easier Daw with regular updates, learning slowly (yearly sub is just the price of 2 good compressors and got it ) .

Cubasis3 will me my daw to create easily what I want and LoopyPro too.

Logic IPad is not a finished daw at all , professionals with Destop doesn’t want it (I read the professional forum) so to a more consumer market they really need to improve GUI and user experience. To tell the true I would prefer to have a GarageBand pro that the actual V 1.0 Logic IPad.

To sum up : doesn’t fit my need actually as it kill my creativity , just subscribe hopping that they will do it better and easier in upgrade. Worth the price of the sub just for the synth inside, I can use it to do one loop synth to import into Cubasis 3.

I am not and don’t want to be an expert like @Samu spending all my time to find solution. I respect a lot @Samu as hé help a lot including and make me understand it is actually not a tool that fit with my creativity except as a box to create one track sample and to import the wav file to Cubasis.

• @janpieter said:

@Gavinski said:

@richardyot

It [controlling an AU FX parameter real-time (not by copying automation) with a third party LFO MIDI plug-in on an audio-track (it’s simpler on a MIDI-track) is possible via a workaround (just tested it with Rozeta LFO):

2. Load Loopy as an instrument there (or another instrument AU you can pipe audio through via a side-chain). This effectively creates an audio-track with MIDI FX slots.
    3. Assign your original audio-track as the side-chain source and mute it. That audio is now running through Loopy.
    4. Load Rozeta LFO (or similar) as a MIDI FX on your Loopy track and load the Logic stock ‘modifier’ MIDI FX after it.
    5. Load the audio effect plugin which parameter you want modified by the Rozeta LFO in an audio FX slot (take note: for this to work it must be an AU adequately working with touch automation as not all do, the Unfiltered Audio plugins work fine, I used Tails).
    6. In the modifier plugin set the input event to the Rozeta LFO CC you want to use to control a parameter of Tails (or your specific audio effect parameter).
    9. Voilà. ;)

Thanks for posting the workaround, it's useful in some cases 👍

• The opinion mitigated that it share by many professionals producers , very interesting videos with factual information.

Logic Pro for iPad | Compromises after 1 Week

• One week of Logic for iPad and I feel at home as it covers most of my needs.

It’s not without ‘flaws’ and still misses some features but compared to the first versions of other DAWs it’s miles ahead and will likely be one of the big ones just like GarageBand is outside of the ‘Geek Zones’ like this forum :sunglasses:

• @janpieter said:

@Gavinski said:

@richardyot

9. Voilà. ;)

Jesus, what a hassle lol... Thanks for figuring this out tho!

• @Samu said:
    One week of Logic for iPad and I feel at home as it covers most of my needs.

It’s not without ‘flaws’ and still misses some features but compared to the first versions of other DAWs it’s miles ahead and will likely be one of the big ones just like GarageBand is outside of the ‘Geek Zones’ like this forum :sunglasses:

Did you create a whole song in Logic we can heard ? After all it is the goal and it should make very great song better than Cubasis 3 and all iOS Daw.

Not me only few tracks and not translating what I want to create. It is very personal but it kill my creativity.

I hope that will change really so I sub for 1 year. If they don’t bring full Alchemy, easier User experience, great sounds pack after 1 year I will stop , game over.

• @Gavinski said:

@janpieter said:

@Gavinski said:

@richardyot

9. Voilà. ;)

I have no experience with saving patches, but perhaps you can save it as one?

• @janpieter said:

@Gavinski said:

@janpieter said:

@Gavinski said:

@richardyot

9. Voilà. ;)

You can’t save patches without hacks , the same with presets perhaps I miss something.

• @BerlinFx said:
    Did you create a whole song in Logic we can heard ? After all it is the goal and it should make very great song better than Cubasis 3 and all iOS Daw.

Personally I don't think Logic will make "better" songs than Cubasis or Auria, what it should offer is more options. Things such as more flexible audio routing, better grouping, better MIDI editing, tempo and time signature changes, more features overall.

However, as we are finding out, it is also missing some features that exist in older DAWS, and the lack of MIDI routing especially is a bit of a hindrance.

• @janpieter said:

@Gavinski said:

@janpieter said:

@Gavinski said:

@richardyot

9. Voilà. ;)

Maybe...to be honest I think I'll mostly still be sticking to AUM. Vastly easier for the kind of experimentation I like to do. I like some instruments etc in Logic but it's a hassle to do a lot of things that can be done very easily in AUM.

• @BerlinFx said:

@janpieter said:

@Gavinski said:

@janpieter said:

@Gavinski said:

@richardyot

9. Voilà. ;)

You can’t save patches without hacks , the same with presets perhaps I miss something.

You can save patches inside, it’s sharing those patches that is not possible.

• @BerlinFx said:
    After 7 days in it seriously it was really difficult from my week brain , all that workaround kill my creativity so I came back more on Cubasis 3 to create again even if I will carryon learning a bit slowly Logic IPad.

Even I bought LoopyPro to enjoy a bit of jaming as music is vital therapy for me.

I want to do music easily in a Daw not finding hacks and workaround it is tiring , as it is only V1.0 I will subscribe for 1 year hoping to be easier Daw with regular updates, learning slowly (yearly sub is just the price of 2 good compressors and got it ) .

Logic IPad is not a finished daw at all , professionals with Destop doesn’t want it (I read the professional forum) so to a more consumer market they really need to improve GUI and user experience. To tell the true I would prefer to have a GarageBand pro that the actual V 1.0 Logic IPad.

To sum up : doesn’t fit my need actually as it kill my creativity , just subscribe hopping that they will do it better and easier in upgrade. Worth the price of the sub just for the synth inside, I can use it to do one loop synth to import into Cubasis 3.

I am not and don’t want to be an expert like @Samu spending all my time to find solution. I respect a lot @Samu as hé help a lot including and make me understand it is actually not a tool that fit with my creativity except as a box to create one track sample and to import the wav file to Cubasis.

I guess I’m feeling the complete opposite. Every previous DAW on iOS had limitations that killed my creativity. I ended up having to use one DAW or another to fit the “mojo” of whatever song I was working on, then export stems into Auria for mixing and mastering (which no other DAW could match). I spent many hundreds of dollars on in-app purchases to make each DAW as complete as possible, and even then they all had so many frustrating shortcomings.

As of today, I’ve deleted every single one except Logic. BM3, Cubasis 2 and 3, NS2, Loopy Pro, half a dozen MIDI sequencers, and more. To be completely honest, there is one I haven’t deleted: Sunvox. But I don’t think of it as a DAW, it’s just weird and geeky and there’s nothing else quite like it.

I’m not even upset about all the money I spent on those other DAWs. Well, except maybe the FabFilter plugins in Auria, which I bought before they released stand-alone AUv3 versions. I got a ton of use out of them. All of them.

But I have no need for them now. Everything I used each of the other DAWs for I can now do all in one place.

Are there some bugs? Yes, but they will be fixed. Are there some things missing? Sure, but that’s the case for desktop DAWs too, which is why there are a bunch of them on the market. For example, I’ve seen complaints about not being able to send MIDI from one track to an audio plugin on another in Logic Pro for iPad. That’s also true on the desktop (other than some hacks you can do in the dreaded Environment editor which looks and feels like it hasn’t been updated since the 90s).

No DAW, desktop or otherwise, will be perfect for everyone. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard something like “Why can’t I do this thing in Logic for Mac that Ableton has had for 20 years?”

But I tell you what, Logic for iPad has filled so many glaring gaps in all the other iOS DAWs that there’s no going back for me. Honestly, I sincerely hope it doesn’t kill the other DAWs because competition is good for everyone. Who knows? Maybe someone will come along and drop a new DAW (or update an existing one) that will make Logic look like a toy. Maybe we’ll see an explosion in desktop plugins getting ported to iOS now that Logic is in town. Which will benefit everyone whether they Logic or not.

At the very least, this is an exciting time. But my unfinished track in Logic is calling and I’ve spent too much time on this reply. :smile:

• edited May 2023

@obijohn I’m in complete agreement with you.

After “working around” limitations in other tools for so long, I’m excited to have an “end to end solution” for my DAW needs. So far, I have found only two glaring deficiencies:

1. No support for control surfaces (Mackie or MIDI Learn)
    2. No plug-in delay compensation

I’m willing to give up on using my X Touch controller in order to gain proper busses, takes, track markers, Audio Presets and many other features that my current (not to be named) DAW lacks.

Logic Pro more than makes up for the subscription cost by including so much that no other IOS offering does, saving time and obviating the need to purchase other products. That said, I’ve already bought the FabFilter suite, most of the DDMF plug-ins and many others. I’m less likely to use them now, given the extensive included quality Auv3’s, but they will still be available should I have a desire to use.

Needless to say, I do hope Apple brings my short list of two missing features over from Logic Pro Mac (they are both well developed in the Mac version). Even without them, I feel I’m way ahead of the game.

• @DovJ said:

After “working around” limitations in other tools for so long, I’m excited to have an “end to end solution” for my DAW needs. So far, I have found only two glaring deficiencies:

I’m willing to give up on using my X Touch controller in order to gain proper busses, takes, track markers, Audio Presets and many other features that my current (not to be named) DAW lacks.

Logic Pro more than makes up for the subscription cost by including so much that no other IOS offering does, saving time and obviating the need to purchase other products. That said, I’ve already bought the FabFilter suite, most of the DDMF plug-ins and many others. I’m less likely to use them now, given the extensive included quality Auv3’s, but they will still be available should I have a desire to use.

Needless to say, I do hope Apple brings my short list of two missing features over from Logic Pro Mac (they are both well developed in the Mac version). Even without them, I feel I’m way ahead of the game.

The lack of Plug-in Delay Compensation, is that true?

What does Apple mean in the manual under Synchronization?

• @ErrkaPetti its only for MIDI, not audio.

The platform is aware of the delay, as there are options to shut down plug-ins causing more than N milliseconds of delay.

• @obijohn said:

@BerlinFx said:
    After 7 days in it seriously it was really difficult from my week brain , all that workaround kill my creativity so I came back more on Cubasis 3 to create again even if I will carryon learning a bit slowly Logic IPad.

I guess I’m feeling the complete opposite. Every previous DAW on iOS had limitations that killed my creativity. I ended up having to use one DAW or another to fit the “mojo” of whatever song I was working on, then export stems into Auria for mixing and mastering (which no other DAW could match). I spent many hundreds of dollars on in-app purchases to make each DAW as complete as possible, and even then they all had so many frustrating shortcomings.

As of today, I’ve deleted every single one except Logic. BM3, Cubasis 2 and 3, NS2, Loopy Pro, half a dozen MIDI sequencers, and more. To be completely honest, there is one I haven’t deleted: Sunvox. But I don’t think of it as a DAW, it’s just weird and geeky and there’s nothing else quite like it.

I’m not even upset about all the money I spent on those other DAWs. Well, except maybe the FabFilter plugins in Auria, which I bought before they released stand-alone AUv3 versions. I got a ton of use out of them. All of them.

But I have no need for them now. Everything I used each of the other DAWs for I can now do all in one place.

Are there some bugs? Yes, but they will be fixed. Are there some things missing? Sure, but that’s the case for desktop DAWs too, which is why there are a bunch of them on the market. For example, I’ve seen complaints about not being able to send MIDI from one track to an audio plugin on another in Logic Pro for iPad. That’s also true on the desktop (other than some hacks you can do in the dreaded Environment editor which looks and feels like it hasn’t been updated since the 90s).

No DAW, desktop or otherwise, will be perfect for everyone. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard something like “Why can’t I do this thing in Logic for Mac that Ableton has had for 20 years?”

But I tell you what, Logic for iPad has filled so many glaring gaps in all the other iOS DAWs that there’s no going back for me. Honestly, I sincerely hope it doesn’t kill the other DAWs because competition is good for everyone. Who knows? Maybe someone will come along and drop a new DAW (or update an existing one) that will make Logic look like a toy. Maybe we’ll see an explosion in desktop plugins getting ported to iOS now that Logic is in town. Which will benefit everyone whether they Logic or not.

At the very least, this is an exciting time. But my unfinished track in Logic is calling and I’ve spent too much time on this reply. :smile:

We are all different in our creative process.

I will still will learn more quietly at my speed Logic IPad with a one 1 year sub and hope to be creative too in it but I hope too that they improve a bit GB , that Cubasis3 will still be here as some other+daw as everyone can be happy 😃

Tolerance is a key things , we all need to improve it like empathy.

• @DovJ said:

No support for control surfaces (Mackie or MIDI Learn) Is particularly a limitation for all real pro producer and use a controler in a daw is very useful not only for pro but for people with health problems like me particularly to become you only set up as when it come to be a mobile daw I can’t see using controler on the beach 😝 Apple marketing is all about dream sometimes….

most important is to release an IPad Pro with 2 USB and an headphones jack it is silly to use a pro Daw with only 1 usb usb port when you want to sell 2000 usd IPad Pro M2 M2 isn’t it ? Apple need a bics kick in the ass for that.

• @Samu said:

@Milkyway1980 said:
    One question, not sure if someone already found solution.
    Beside compressor sidechain, is there any option to do sidechain with volume automation, or like on desktop with lfotool or shaperbox via midi?
    Thanks in advance

You can use a AUv3 plug-in like Flux Pro to do that...
    https://www.caelumaudio.com/CaelumAudio/?Page=FluxPro

Thank you, will give it a go, but from what i see in comments it's kinda convoluted. Will try first in AUM

• edited June 2023

Goal: improv and build up loops in Loopy, then arrange them into a song with Logic.

1. Logic doesn’t seem to support the clipboard, so what’s the funnest way to get Loopy loops into Logic?
    2. While we’re on the subject of moving audio in and out, how do you get an audio region from Logic into another app?
  • @dokwok2 said:
    Goal: improv and build up loops in Loopy, then arrange them into a song with Logic.

1. Logic doesn’t seem to support the clipboard, so what’s the funnest way to get Loopy loops into Logic?
    2. While we’re on the subject of moving audio in and out, how do you get an audio region from Logic into another app?

I’m interested in this too so have started a thread about it:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/55985/loopy-pro-to-logic-pro-transferring-midi-audio-presets-etc/p1?new=1

• @dokwok2 said:

The most effective way is drag and drop from Files or Sample Crate, the same as you’d do on the desktop. But the ‘funnest’ way? Maybe watching Seinfeld while dragging and dropping from the Files app?

• edited June 2023

@mistercharlie said:

@dokwok2 said:

The most effective way is drag and drop from Files or Sample Crate, the same as you’d do on the desktop. But the ‘funnest’ way? Maybe watching Seinfeld while dragging and dropping from the Files app?

The problem remains he same you have to bounce the Logic songs to file, solo the track, set in point out point.
    Sample Crate won’t be on any help here, as once the tracks are save to file, I can open it directly into Loopy.

• I followed the instructions in the manual for how to change the beat values of note repeat. Problem is, when I make changes in the configuration section for this - eg change slot one to a value of 1/1, nothing actually changes in the sidebar - it is still 1/16 - is this a bug or am I missing something?

• OK - seems you have to close the sidebar and reopen it again for the changes to take effect - any good reason for that? Seems clunky af - why shouldn’t it change immediately! Also - sustain does not work in tandem with note repeat. This makes no sense to me. No to mention the fact that, in general, sustained notes are not visible, as they are in AUM for example. That means any time you sustain notes, you have to remember what notes you have played if you want to make modifications, you can’t visualize what notes are being held. Bad implementation - unless there is a setting I don’t know about to enable this

• @Gavinski said:
    OK - seems you have to close the sidebar and reopen it again for the changes to take effect - any good reason for that? Seems clunky af - why shouldn’t it change immediately! Also - sustain does not work in tandem with note repeat. This makes no sense to me. No to mention the fact that, in general, sustained notes are not visible, as they are in AUM for example. That means any time you sustain notes, you have to remember what notes you have played if you want to make modifications, you can’t visualize what notes are being held. Bad implementation - unless there is a setting I don’t know about to enable this

For me it works to change note value and get immediate response, without closing the plugin GUI…

Talking about Note Repeat MIDI FX, have you get acquainted with Scriper FX yet (as MIDI FX)?
    Pretty awesome!

If not, check this great video about Scripter FX:

• Thanks! Interesting - maybe something device or OS specific that it is not working that way for me? Weird. I will take a look at that vid, thnx!