Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Questions about how to do X in Logic, whether Logic has Y etc etc

Comments

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@richardyot said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    Why can’t we freely draw MIDI-notes with the Pencil tool?
    As it is now, you first draw your notes with Pencil Tool, the switch to Trim Tool for note length…?

You don't need to switch tools. In the Editor just draw a note with the Pencil tool and then just drag the end to set the length. It's very fluid.

Hmmm…
    I’ll test this when I’m getting back home…
    Strange that this is not mentioned in the manual?
    Thanks Richard!

Quick screen cap:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdoqwwhhml19r62/pencil tool.MP4?dl=0

• @Cambler said:
    Have looked through the manual in regards to external monitor and can’t see any reference. Am I right to assume this is not integrated as yet? One would assume/hope that’s it’s coming.

I plugged my 2018 iPad Pro into a monitor and it just mirrors the main screen. Not sure about those fancy M1 iPads with external Stage Manager support.

• Sorry if this has been asked already, but is there a way to get Logic to show you how long your song is in minutes and seconds?

• @FastGhost said:
    Sorry if this has been asked already, but is there a way to get Logic to show you how long your song is in minutes and seconds?

Tap on the 3 dots at the top right of the UI, select "Customise Control Bar", then tap on the Display tab and you can set the transport to display bars and beats, time, or both together.

• @mistercharlie said:

@Cambler said:
    Have looked through the manual in regards to external monitor and can’t see any reference. Am I right to assume this is not integrated as yet? One would assume/hope that’s it’s coming.

I plugged my 2018 iPad Pro into a monitor and it just mirrors the main screen. Not sure about those fancy M1 iPads with external Stage Manager support.

Thanks Charlie. Yeh I’m hoping there is or will be proper external monitor support for m1+ iPads.

• @Cambler said:

@mistercharlie said:

@Cambler said:

Thanks Charlie. Yeh I’m hoping there is or will be proper external monitor support for m1+ iPads.

It has been a lot of talks from known tech-journalists on the web that iPadOS 17 will have real support for external screens - both external screens with no black borders, and, we can close the iPad an still use it on the external monitor…

If this is true I’m pretty sure that this will only be supported on M1/M2 iPads…

• @Samu said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

Perhaps our guru @Samu have some answer on this letdown?

Chill Dude!
    It's V1.0 not a 'letdown' :sunglasses:

There's no such thing as 100% perfect software, If there was there would never be any room for improvement...

Also no one has yet paid anything for Logic Pro for iPad.
    That happens first after 30 days when the trial ends, so for a 'free' app it's pretty darn amazing haha.

Nagging here won't solve any of the issues...
    https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro/
    (Remember to select iPad as the device).

Yeah, it’s v1.0 (or v10.78, it depends how we see), but, I’m not pleased with the way we put in notes on the Piano Roll - why first put down the note, and the adjust it’s length?
    Why not put down finger/Pencil and draw the not directly?

Yet another thing when I’m talking to a Logic Guru - I made some nice instruments in Quick Sampler with some FX on the User patches, both MIDI & Audio FX, but, when I load them today they are clean, no FX… Hmmm…

How do we do to save a patch with FX included in the patch? Is it possible?

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    If this is true I’m pretty sure that this will only be supported on M1/M2 iPads…

Is there an actual technical reason for this, or is it more pressure to get older iPad owners to buy new kit?

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@Cambler said:

@mistercharlie said:

@Cambler said:

It has been a lot of talks from known tech-journalists on the web that iPadOS 17 will have real support for external screens - both external screens with no black borders, and, we can close the iPad an still use it on the external monitor…

I really hope so. I’ve got a seperate desk and monitor setup for this but rarely use it as current support is patchy.

• @ErrkaPetti said:

Yet another thing when I’m talking to a Logic Guru - I made some nice instruments in Quick Sampler with some FX on the User patches, both MIDI & Audio FX, but, when I load them today they are clean, no FX… Hmmm…

You have to save the 'Channel Strip' to save the instrument with the effects, just like in Desktop Logic...
    ...ie. tap on the track and save patch, that will save the instrument and effects which can then be recalled.

• I’m trying to sequence drum machine designer with a midi fx (ochtatron or say beat scholar) but the dmd track doesn’t allow for a midi fx. Is there a way to do this without having to send midi from another track (something I’ve had only limited success doing).

Hoping I’m missing something obvious!

• One thing that seems to be missing: the ability to share and/or export any user presets and patches.

I've made a bunch of drum patterns for the step sequencer, it would be nice to be able to share them, but sadly that doesn't seem possible in Logic on the iPad.

• @Samu said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

You have to save the 'Channel Strip' to save the instrument with the effects, just like in Desktop Logic...
    ...ie. tap on the track and save patch, that will save the instrument and effects which can then be recalled.

Hmmm… I can’t see any Save option for Channel Strip, it ain’t an option in Plugin Tile View (three dots) or in the Mixer…
    Where do you find it @Samu ?

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@Samu said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

Hmmm… I can’t see any Save option for Channel Strip, it ain’t an option in Plugin Tile View (three dots) or in the Mixer…
    Where do you find it @Samu ?

I think I solved the problem…
    You must save a Patch twice if you want the Channel Strip settings included within the user patch - first save the patch into Quick Sampler and then save again in the Track header…

The manual was a little unclear here, or me tired in my head just now…

• @ErrkaPetti said:

You must save a Patch twice if you want the Channel Strip settings included within the user patch - first save the patch into Quick Sampler and then save again in the Track header…

That's the same procedure as in Desktop Logic, this as you can use the same QuickSampler instrument in multiple 'Patches'.
    (You can easily create variations with the same QuickSampler instrument with different effect combinations, midi effects and save them as patches).

It's all a matter of getting used to the procedures :sunglasses:
    The fun begins when you start creating a summing stacks with multiple different instruments with key-splits etc.

Too bad we have no good way to share Patches from Logic for iPad at the moment, but that'll likely come at some point...

• @Samu said:
    Too bad we have no good way to share Patches from Logic for iPad at the moment, but that'll likely come at some point...

They can be shared as projects, no?

• @el_bo said:

@Samu said:

They can be shared as projects, no?

Yeah, but the preset need to be manually saved and that would require two saves for the QuickSampler based instruments (one for the Instrument and one for the Channel Strip). And for Drum Machine Designer kits that would be a total mess...

It's going to be interesting to see how Apple solves this since we om the iPad have no direct access to the folder where all the presets are stored like we do on the Mac...

• @Samu said:
    Yeah, but the preset need to be manually saved and that would require two saves for the QuickSampler based instruments (one for the Instrument and one for the Channel Strip). And for Drum Machine Designer kits that would be a total mess...

But isn't it the case that it's only necessary to save the individual presets/patches in a stack if there s an intention to use them individually, elsewhere?

@Samu said:
    The fun begins when you start creating a summing stacks with multiple different instruments with key-splits etc.

Splitting by key-range and velocities is a great way to make some great performance instruments, f'sure. And on the iPad, because it's possible to scroll the dual piano keyboards to completely distinct octave-ranges, it's possible to have different sounds playable on each 'board. Much fun to be had :)

• One question, not sure if someone already found solution.
    Beside compressor sidechain, is there any option to do sidechain with volume automation, or like on desktop with lfotool or shaperbox via midi?
    Thanks in advance

• I have a bunch of songs/patterns that I’ve set up in Octachron or Polybeat, and rather than reprogramming all the patterns again I’d like to just use either of those apps to record the songs in Logic, Polybeat seems to skip beats and Octachron doesn’t work at all, are these working for anybody?

• havnt gotten to this yet, but anyone know what uses more CPU? automating a plugin or sending midi out to automate hardware? Just curious if anyone has beat me to it...?

• @Milkyway1980 said:
    One question, not sure if someone already found solution.
    Beside compressor sidechain, is there any option to do sidechain with volume automation, or like on desktop with lfotool or shaperbox via midi?
    Thanks in advance

You can use a AUv3 plug-in like Flux Pro to do that...
    https://www.caelumaudio.com/CaelumAudio/?Page=FluxPro

• anyone know whether the sidechain source can be set to pre- vs. post-fader?

• @janpieter said:
    anyone know whether the sidechain source can be set to pre- vs. post-fader?

The impression I got was that to get post-fader you have to send the source to a bus and then use that bus as the source.

That said, I didn’t manage to get side-chain compression working at all yet. Probably user error, but the project I was doing for that isn’t my current priority, so I stopped messing with it for now.

• I asked earlier but didn't get a response. How to use a 3rd party lfo to modulate any parameters in Logic iPad? Thnx!

• @Gavinski said:
    I asked earlier but didn't get a response. How to use a 3rd party lfo to modulate any parameters in Logic iPad? Thnx!

It might not be possible, there is no MIDI routing between channels. This means that a MIDI effect can’t be routed to an audio channel AFAIK.

• The Step Sequencer (melodic).. Seems it must be a bug when you use an imported midi file (converted to a pattern), it cannot save the key/scale as the stock melodic patterns do.. The stock patterns will transpose to the project key/scale without any issues... not a pattern that you have created.. Will love to create patterns to work with instead of midi...

• @richardyot said:

@Gavinski said:
    I asked earlier but didn't get a response. How to use a 3rd party lfo to modulate any parameters in Logic iPad? Thnx!

It might not be possible, there is no MIDI routing between channels. This means that a MIDI effect can’t be routed to an audio channel AFAIK.

Yikes... Aum and apematrix still rule this piece of ground then. Thnx Richard

• MIDI Transform is a feature in LP Mac but I can’t find it in iPad. Specifically I want to draw in velocity curves graphically in the iPad piano roll? You can do it with cc’s, AT, pitch bend and others, but I can’t find velocity. Am I missing a plug-in or something?