Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Questions about how to do X in Logic, whether Logic has Y etc etc

Comments

• @Samu said:

I urge people to really try to find a way first before asking questions, learning by doing best for of learning...

You are urging people not to ask questions in a topic explicitly dedicated to asking questions - excellent out-of-the-box thinking!
    👊🙂

• @ervin said:

@Samu said:

I urge people to really try to find a way first before asking questions, learning by doing best for of learning...

You are urging people not to ask questions in a topic explicitly dedicated to asking questions - excellent out-of-the-box thinking!
    👊🙂

Because most of the questions are answered in the manual and some in the tutorial videos that ship with the app.
    I have a feeling that most whom are asking questions have not even downloaded the app :sunglasses:

• Did I imagine that you could import video into logic, I’ve hunted about and googled a but can’t find anything now…

• Audio copy and paste? I can’t see it in the app or manual.

• edited May 2023

@dokwok2 said:
    Audio copy and paste? I can’t see it in the app or manual.

You can copy audio-regions, tap a region, select the copy tool (right most one) and drag the region to a new place.
    Or you can also tap on the region, select copy and paste it at the locator...

But if you mean support for Retronyms Audiocopy.app then no...
    ...it has a hard coded limit to 44.1k 16-bit and is in dire need of a bug-fix update...

• edited May 2023

I can’t find how to make a foldable folder of existing tracks. I want to hide in arrangement those initial and now disabled instrumental tracks I’ve made bounces from to make the arrangement.

• @Janosax said:
    I can’t find how to make a foldable folder of existing tracks. I want to hide in arrangement those initial and now disabled instrumental tracks I’ve made bounces from to make the arrangement.

Use the select tool (next to the copy tool) and select the tracks you wish you put into a folder.
    Select the region tool, tap on any of the selected tracks and create the type of folder you need (Summing Stack or a simple Folder stack).

• @Janosax said:

A more detailed explanation:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/55839/logic-pro-stacks-and-groups-a-quick-guide

• @Krupa said:
    Did I imagine that you could import video into logic, I’ve hunted about and googled a but can’t find anything now…

Text searching the manual doesn’t show any reference to it, must have been wishful thinking on my part…

• @Samu @richardyot How about adding a track to an existing folder/stack? The only way I can see is to ungroup the stack, and group the tracks again with the new one included.

• edited May 2023

@mistercharlie said:
    @Samu @richardyot How about adding a track to an existing folder/stack? The only way I can see is to ungroup the stack, and group the tracks again with the new one included.

Can you not just drag it into the stack in the arranger view? That should definitely work for Folder Stacks, with Summing Stacks you might also have to assign the output bus (I'll test when I get the chance).

(edit) I've just done a quick test: all you need to do with a Summing Stack is just drag the channel into the Stack in the arranger view, Logic will automatically assign the correct output bus behind the scenes.

• @Gavinski said:

Google 'ipad benchmark comparisons'. Since logic uses multicore you can pay particular attention to the numbers for that when comparing 👍

Thanks Gavinski. To be honest, I’m not quite sure what the whole multi core support thing means in relation to AUs and performance. Like, I’d imagine that the internal Logic synths have been optimized to take advantage of this. But do the individual third party devs have to do stuff to their code to take advantage of multicore support? Or is the host (Logic) managing this on behalf of the Audio Units?

[Not expecting you to know the answer necessarily. Just throwing it out there in case anyone does.]

• Has anyone had the time to play around with the virtual midi-ports in Logic for iPad?
    It adds ports named Logic Pro Virtual In and Logic Pro Virtual Out...

...these ports can be selected in the track inspector and should in theory allow midi-routing between tracks or other apps.

• @Samu said:
    Has anyone had the time to play around with the virtual midi-ports in Logic for iPad?

...these ports can be selected in the track inspector and should in theory allow midi-routing between tracks or other apps.

see above for my experience with MIDI out..

@janpieter said:

@charalew said:
    I would definitely buy it if it wasn't for the fact that there's one massive dealbreaker. As far as I can tell, and I've spend quite a qhile looking now, there's no way to get MIDI out of the iPad version. I really home someone out there is going to tell me that I've missed something obvious - have

Have you experimented with Audioveek's MIDI route app?
    Not sure whether when put (last) im the MIDI FX slot it picks up the MIDI notes and CCs on the track and sends them out. But guess there's a chance this might be a solution (I also don't know of a native option)

edit: tried it but the AudioVeek app seems to crash Logic here and Logic doesn’t seem to recognise the other option (RouteMIDI) as a MIDI AU..

edit2: there is a virtual OUT (you can see it in AUM’s MIDI matrix for instance) but I can’t get a track from Logic sending there? I did manage to send Logic’s MIDI clock there though..

edit3: finally got it to work!, when you create a track you have to toggle on use external MIDI (I play Poison in AUM from a Logic track)

• @SuperNiCd said:

@Gavinski said:

Google 'ipad benchmark comparisons'. Since logic uses multicore you can pay particular attention to the numbers for that when comparing 👍

Thanks Gavinski. To be honest, I’m not quite sure what the whole multi core support thing means in relation to AUs and performance. Like, I’d imagine that the internal Logic synths have been optimized to take advantage of this. But do the individual third party devs have to do stuff to their code to take advantage of multicore support? Or is the host (Logic) managing this on behalf of the Audio Units?

[Not expecting you to know the answer necessarily. Just throwing it out there in case anyone does.]

As far as I know, the host manages that, because there have been so many comments in various threads here about how you can load more 3rd party AUv3s now in Cubasis (which supports multi core) than other apps like AUM, which don’t (yet?)

• @Samu said:
    Has anyone had the time to play around with the virtual midi-ports in Logic for iPad?

@Samu I’ve had success sending multi channel midi into logic from Poly2 and Fugue machine standalone. Have had limited success sending midi between tracks using external instrument and midi flow to create a midi loop back similar to iac bus in Mac. Works about half the time so far for me!

• Currently Logic Pro iPad doesn’t seem to support control surfaces, whether MIDI Learn or protocol-based (ie Mackie).

Anyone uncover functionality I missed?

• @richardyot said:

@mistercharlie said:
    @Samu @richardyot How about adding a track to an existing folder/stack? The only way I can see is to ungroup the stack, and group the tracks again with the new one included.

Can you not just drag it into the stack in the arranger view? That should definitely work for Folder Stacks, with Summing Stacks you might also have to assign the output bus (I'll test when I get the chance).

(edit) I've just done a quick test: all you need to do with a Summing Stack is just drag the channel into the Stack in the arranger view, Logic will automatically assign the correct output bus behind the scenes.

That was the first thing I tried, and it wouldn’t work. Or rather, I didn’t think it had worked because the visual feedback was not what I expected. But it does work! Thanks

• So, I’ve got that auvideoplayer plugin up and running in a track with my Metropolis bit loaded in nicely. Is there a way to have that window showing, so I can watch the video, while playing the built in keyboard on an instrument channel?

• How can I shrink my project size? I exported stems for a 10-track project in Auria, dragged them into audio tracks in Logic, and used the scissors to split regions and delete long silences. The result is still 470 mb, which seems a lot. (The uncompressed WAV stems took up 432 mb). Auria had a way to reclaim space by finalizing your deletes. Does Logic have something similar? (I have looked in the usual places, including the manual.)

• edited May 2023

@dokwok2 said:
    How can I shrink my project size? I exported stems for a 10-track project in Auria, dragged them into audio tracks in Logic, and used the scissors to split regions and delete long silences. The result is still 470 mb, which seems a lot. (The uncompressed WAV stems took up 432 mb). Auria had a way to reclaim space by finalizing your deletes. Does Logic have something similar? (I have looked in the usual places, including the manual.)

As there is currently no destructive trim in Logic Pro for iPad the only way I’ve found to work around this is to do a bounce in-place for all the individual trimmed regions.

I do hope we’ll get project clean-up and file-management and full audio editing (including normalize and destructive trim) at some point so we can remove the longer originals from the project once all the chopping has been done.

• @Samu said:
    As there is currently no destructive trim in Logic Pro for iPad the only way I’ve found to work around this is to do a bounce in-place for all the individual trimmed regions.

Thank you. That brought the file size to 179 mb, down from 432 mb.

• One week with Logic Pro for iPad, and, a very fun week like playing in a candy shop…

To summarize LP4i, it’s not the lack of full Alchemy, or, not having Ultrabeat, or lack of export MIDI that irritates me, it’s the Piano Roll Editor…

Why can’t we freely draw MIDI-notes with the Pencil tool?
    As it is now, you first draw your notes with Pencil Tool, the switch to Trim Tool for note length…?

Or, have I missed something here?
    There’s nothing in the manual who will answer this topic…
    Perhaps our guru @Samu have some answer on this letdown?

• @Krupa said:
    So, I’ve got that auvideoplayer plugin up and running in a track with my Metropolis bit loaded in nicely. Is there a way to have that window showing, so I can watch the video, while playing the built in keyboard on an instrument channel?

Doh, ok, solved it; I tried using thumbjam in slide over and noticed the big red R swapping to the video player channel when I selected it. This stopped thumbjam’s MIDI from going into my instrument, but that simply tapping that R on the track I want to play routed the MIDI back to that, while keeping the video visible… works the same with the internal surfaces. Silly me, hopefully others will either not be so daft, or see this…

• Enjoying reading through this thread. Stupidly busy with work at the moment so am holding off installing until I have time to properly dig in. Have looked through the manual in regards to external monitor and can’t see any reference. Am I right to assume this is not integrated as yet? One would assume/hope that’s it’s coming.

• Do I remember someone saying that we can't just load an app like midi lfos in Logic to control various auv3 parameters? Hoping I remember wrongly, would anyone mind telling me the procedure or where in the manual I would find the info?

Cheers

Gav

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    As it is now, you first draw your notes with Pencil Tool, the switch to Trim Tool for note length…?

You don't need to switch tools. In the Editor just draw a note with the Pencil tool and then just drag the end to set the length. It's very fluid.

• @Janosax said:

As mentioned by others, these can be stuffed into folders quite easly. Unfortunately, the iOS version of Logic doesn't have the desktop versions hide feature. Hopefully it'll arrive at some point 'cause this app needs all the de-cluttering help it can get ;)

• @richardyot said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

You don't need to switch tools. In the Editor just draw a note with the Pencil tool and then just drag the end to set the length. It's very fluid.

Hmmm…
    I’ll test this when I’m getting back home…
    Strange that this is not mentioned in the manual?
    Thanks Richard!

• @ErrkaPetti said:

Perhaps our guru @Samu have some answer on this letdown?

Chill Dude!
    It's V1.0 not a 'letdown' :sunglasses:

There's no such thing as 100% perfect software, If there was there would never be any room for improvement...

Also no one has yet paid anything for Logic Pro for iPad.
    That happens first after 30 days when the trial ends, so for a 'free' app it's pretty darn amazing haha.

Nagging here won't solve any of the issues...
    https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro/
    (Remember to select iPad as the device).