Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Questions about how to do X in Logic, whether Logic has Y etc etc

Comments

• Hi, brand new to the forum. If anyone is stuck recording a midi fx into Logic's timeline. Choose your instrument with the midi fx you want, when you try to record it nothing will happen. Open an audio channel, then go to the mixer and route the midi channels stereo output to a bus channel for the audio. In the audio channel change input one to the bus channel you have just selected. link to a video I made showing this.

• Has anyone managed to get the 4Pockets Euclidean sequencer editing section (lower panel) to work? I’ve tried the randomiser, everything, but nothing seems to work.

• @mistercharlie said:
    I did manage to get an OP-1 to start/stop Logic ...

Most expensive transport controller EVVA!! ;)

• @LarryLazerDisc said:
    Hi, brand new to the forum. If anyone is stuck recording a midi fx into Logic's timeline. Choose your instrument with the midi fx you want, when you try to record it nothing will happen. Open an audio channel, then go to the mixer and route the midi channels stereo output to a bus channel for the audio. In the audio channel change input one to the bus channel you have just selected. link to a video I made showing this.

This is a good workflow to understand routing, but you can actually record MIDI data onto that first track by long-pressing on the MIDI plugin and choosing "Record MIDI to Track Here", from the menu.

• How to change the speed of a midi loop? Make it play half speed for example? I know this will be in the manual or a tutorial or whatever but haven't got that far yet and want to do that now lol

• edited May 2023

@Gavinski said:
    How to change the speed of a midi loop? Make it play half speed for example? I know this will be in the manual or a tutorial or whatever but haven't got that far yet and want to do that now lol

I'm guessing here, but maybe the timestretch tool on the toolbar?

(edit: I just tried it out, it works)

• Missing, or well-hidden?: MIDI Learn. Need to map nanoKey (or any controller) to synth parameters.

Search in the online manual recalls nothing.

• @el_bo said:

@LarryLazerDisc said:
    Hi, brand new to the forum. If anyone is stuck recording a midi fx into Logic's timeline. Choose your instrument with the midi fx you want, when you try to record it nothing will happen. Open an audio channel, then go to the mixer and route the midi channels stereo output to a bus channel for the audio. In the audio channel change input one to the bus channel you have just selected. link to a video I made showing this.

This is a good workflow to understand routing, but you can actually record MIDI data onto that first track by long-pressing on the MIDI plugin and choosing "Record MIDI to Track Here", from the menu.

Nice one thanks for that tip.

• @LarryLazerDisc said:

@el_bo said:

@LarryLazerDisc said:

Nice one thanks for that tip.

👍🏼

• Has anyone found a way to disable the 'Welcome Screen' and go straight to the Document Picker when starting up Logic for iPad?

• In terms of audio editing, I can't see an option for 'normalizing' - either from the inspector or internal plug-ins. Has anyone found this? I can only see 'gain'. Thx!

• Is there a way to close a project without saving, or a way to "Save As.." a project?

• @el_bo said:

@mistercharlie said:
    I did manage to get an OP-1 to start/stop Logic ...

Most expensive transport controller EVVA!! ;)

Haha!

• @richardyot said:

@Gavinski said:
    How to change the speed of a midi loop? Make it play half speed for example? I know this will be in the manual or a tutorial or whatever but haven't got that far yet and want to do that now lol

Correct - thnx

I have a few questions about playing surfaces:

1. I have set surface settings to polyphonic pitchbend - earlier, after enabling the little pitch button that appears above the keyboard, I was hearing very smooth glides. But now it seems to be snapping to notes when I try to glide and doesn’t sound like a smooth pitch bend at all. I must be doing something wrong. Any idea what?
    2. I have set velocity mode to dynamic and set a velocity range of about 10 to 60. But wherever I press on the Y axis of the onscreen keyboard the velocity is the same. Again, must be doing something wrong, but what? Thnx
  • @brattcave said:
    In terms of audio editing, I can't see an option for 'normalizing' - either from the inspector or internal plug-ins. Has anyone found this? I can only see 'gain'. Thx!

• @Gavinski said:

@richardyot said:

@Gavinski said:

Correct - thnx

1. I have set surface settings to polyphonic pitchbend - earlier, after enabling the little pitch button that appears above the keyboard, I was hearing very smooth glides. But now it seems to be snapping to notes when I try to glide and doesn’t sound like a smooth pitch bend at all. I must be doing something wrong. Any idea what?
    2. I have set velocity mode to dynamic and set a velocity range of about 10 to 60. But wherever I press on the Y axis of the onscreen keyboard the velocity is the same. Again, must be doing something wrong, but what? Thnx

Looking at the manual, I still have no idea about point 1 above. About point 2, I mistakenly thought they would map velocity to y axis of keys but according to the manual this is not the case. It’s supposed to respond to how hard you hit the keys. I can’t say I find this implementation very good. Velocity keyboard seems to do it better. Maybe they just mean when you use an external keyboard? However, it does seem that hitting keys harder on the screen does actually lead to higher velocity. The problem is that it is almost impossible to play at very low velocities even if you hit the screen very gently. Am I still missing something?

• edited May 2023

@Gavinski said:

@Gavinski said:

@richardyot said:

@Gavinski said:

Correct - thnx

Looking at the manual, I still have no idea about point 1 above. About point 2, I mistakenly thought they would map velocity to y axis of keys but according to the manual this is not the case. It’s supposed to respond to how hard you hit the keys. I can’t say I find this implementation very good. Velocity keyboard seems to do it better. Maybe they just mean when you use an external keyboard? However, it does seem that hitting keys harder on the screen does actually lead to higher velocity. The problem is that it is almost impossible to play at very low velocities even if you hit the screen very gently. Am I still missing something?

You might have to adjust the velocity sensitivity for the keyboard and if it's anything like the GarageBand sensitivity adjustment, it might be somewhat hidden. Perhaps someone who is actually running LP on iPad can point it out.

EDIT: Found it. Page 78 of the manual ("Change the velocity range").

• @NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:

@Gavinski said:

@richardyot said:

@Gavinski said:

Correct - thnx

You might have to adjust the velocity sensitivity for the keyboard and if it's anything like the GarageBand sensitivity adjustment, it might be somewhat hidden. Perhaps someone who is actually running LP on iPad can point it out.

Thnx I did that but it is still impossible to play a decent range of velocities using the onscreen keyboard. Unless you play notes with the right hand while simultaneously adjusting the velocity range slider with the left. Velocity keyboard would definitely do a better job than this in terms of detecting velocity via touch strength on the touchscreen. The force at which you hit the screen does seem to work to some extent in Logic Pro but it doesn't work well. I still feel there must be a way. I also need to figure out that pitch snapping issue I mentioned earlier.

• edited May 2023

Is it just me or Alchemy in LP has a very basic programming window? I could have sworn in Garage Band it has like 4 different programming pages, but in Logic IOS I see one simple page... Are they hidden somewhere?

• @Jusch1995 said:

@R_2 said:
    I guess by using the “Transposer MIDI plug-in”?
    page 514 of PDF manual:
    Scale Type pop-up menu: Choose one of several preset scales or create your own custom scale (User) with the onscreen Keyboard.

Does this transpose the notes to the white keys? In Other words, is there a way to play any Scale like its C Major on my Keyboard? :smiley:

Yes

• edited May 2023

Edit. Just realised my question was answered right at the start of this thread!!!

• @Gavinski said:
    Apologies for another Logic thread, but I thought it would be useful to have a thread strictly sticking to questions like:

Can Logic do X?
    How do I do Y in Logic?
    Etc etc

My first question:

Are there no options to create custom scales?

Much better to have them on differentthreads

• @Gavinski said:

@NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:

@Gavinski said:

@richardyot said:

@Gavinski said:

Correct - thnx

Thnx I did that but it is still impossible to play a decent range of velocities using the onscreen keyboard. Unless you play notes with the right hand while simultaneously adjusting the velocity range slider with the left. Velocity keyboard would definitely do a better job than this in terms of detecting velocity via touch strength on the touchscreen. The force at which you hit the screen does seem to work to some extent in Logic Pro but it doesn't work well. I still feel there must be a way. I also need to figure out that pitch snapping issue I mentioned earlier.

Can you connect Velocity Keyboard or GeoShred to LP to trigger your instruments?

• @OnfraySin said:

@brattcave said:
    In terms of audio editing, I can't see an option for 'normalizing' - either from the inspector or internal plug-ins. Has anyone found this? I can only see 'gain'. Thx!

Thanks for this. So to normalize a clip you'd have to bounce it first? Seems strange. It's usually a fairly standard function in a lot of audio editors. Perhaps it will be added in time...

• @NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:

@NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:

@Gavinski said:

@richardyot said:

@Gavinski said:

Correct - thnx

Can you connect Velocity Keyboard or GeoShred to LP to trigger your instruments?

Just tried Velocity KB, it worked

• Has anyone been able to use an expression controller in Logic? I can't get anything to respond to CC messages from my breath controller. I have checked under Settings->Midi, and Logic sees that I have a controller attached, but I am unable to get an expression response from SWAM or any of the internal synths.

• Can LP import MIDI files?

• edited May 2023

Is there any way to record MIDI into Logic when using a midi sequencer plugin ? I am trying Cykle and it plays and works , but I can’t record any of the notes into the timeline. It’s acting like in BM3. Maybe I’m doing something wrong ?

• @MadGav said:
    Can LP import MIDI files?

Just drag the MIDI-file from the Files app onto the timeline…

• edited May 2023

@Antos3345 said:
    Is there any way to record MIDI into Logic when using a midi sequencer plugin ? I am trying Cykle and it plays and works , but I can’t record any of the notes into the timeline. It’s acting like in BM3. Maybe I’m doing something wrong ?

Did you activate “record midi to track here” when long tap on desired midi fx?
    In my experience, most of the apps captured fine, but some have problems