Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Out through iPad rather than iRig Headphone jack

I am seeing better audio i/o options in Logic Pro for iPad, and wondering if I can finally monitor my guitar through the iPad speakers when using an iRig rather than needing to get tied up in another cable with headphones when laying down quick ideas. Has anyone noticed if Logic helps get around this issue?

Comments

• @skdeish said:
    I am seeing better audio i/o options in Logic Pro for iPad, and wondering if I can finally monitor my guitar through the iPad speakers when using an iRig rather than needing to get tied up in another cable with headphones when laying down quick ideas. Has anyone noticed if Logic helps get around this issue?

Logic Pro can't help with that. It's an iOS limitation.
    I'm guessing that Apple will address that with iOS 17 though.

• edited May 2023

I really hope so, that has been driving me nuts for so long. Figured if it was an iOS thing they might’ve considered fixing it for 16.5.

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

@skdeish said:
    I really hope so, that has been driving me nuts for so long. Figured if it was an iOS thing they might’ve considered fixing it for 16.5.

[edit] apparently this restriction has been overcome in Logic Pro!

~~That's probably too deep of a change for a "point" upgrade. But, if they get enough complaining from "pro" Logic Pro users about single audio interface limitations, who knows?

Now that Apple have their own darling baby to support maybe they'll have a greater sense of urgency.~~

• “”

As posted in one of the other tracks, actually you can have different input and output devices now, at least in Logic Pro.

• @Hannes said:
    “”

As posted in one of the other tracks, actually you can have different input and output devices now, at least in Logic Pro.

For real?? On iOS??

• YESSS! I just tested this and it works! This alone is worth the change/price for me; having to constantly use headphones and add yet another cable to the mobile setup was a real pain. Super pumped about that option.

• @wim said:

@Hannes said:
    “”

For real?? On iOS??

Yep 👍

• Wow! That is huge.

I wonder how they managed that and if they did anything proprietary in the OS that isn't available to other DAW developers. If it isn't available to others then that smacks of prosecutable (in the US) unfair competitive advantage.

If it isn't some unfair tactic, then we should expect to see this available to other apps.

• @wim said:
    Wow! That is huge.

I wonder how they managed that and if they did anything proprietary in the OS that isn't available to other DAW developers. If it isn't available to others then that smacks of prosecutable (in the US) unfair competitive advantage.

If it isn't some unfair tactic, then we should expect to see this available to other apps.

Was thinking the same thing, I didn’t see this feature announced in the latest iOS update, seems like they either would’ve announced it in the update or it’s being held into the Logic system. That singular issue has been a huge problem for mobile guitar players for years. Hope it gets pulled into Loopy and others if it’s just an OS update.

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

I would think that @Michael, @j_liljedahl, @giku_beepstreet and any other host developers would love to have more info about this if they haven't heard of it already.

If Apple did it slyly for their own competitive advantage, that is very foul (and arguably illegal) play.

• Not sure how they’re doing it, but you have to turn off “Autoselect Audio Devices” in settings - with that on it selects the last audio device connected. Doesn’t affect the rest of the system audio, that is still set to last connected.

• @wim said:
    Wow! That is huge.

If you're suggesting Apple creating new and unpublished special features for their own apps is somehow illegal... No, it is not. It's their platform.

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

@NeuM said:

@wim said:
    Wow! That is huge.

If you're suggesting Apple creating new and unpublished special features for their own apps is somehow illegal... No, it is not. It's their platform.

I said "arguably". I believe I'm on pretty solid ground there. A few decades ago Microsoft was taken to task by the US Justice Department on similar grounds regarding leveraging undocumented features of the Windows operating system for advantage in IE and Office.

I'm not going to get into a legalese pissing match over it though. Don't care enough, am not an expert, and try not to state things as "facts" when they are only opinions.

Legal or not, it would be grossly unfair to other developers, who are now behind the curve at best - unless it was indeed documented but just not taken advantage of by anyone else.

• @Hannes said:
    “”

Yeah, this looks different. I'm not aware of any iOS API that allows to get a list of the actual connected devices and select them like that. In AUM I do allow switching Output Route, which uses the built-in audio output route UI just like when you access it from the iOS Control Center. It also has Input Source, where you can select between available microphones etc. Any ideas @Michael ?

• edited June 2023

@j_liljedahl said:

@Hannes said:
    “”

Yeah, this looks different. I'm not aware of any iOS API that allows to get a list of the actual connected devices and select them like that. In AUM I do allow switching Output Route, which uses the built-in audio output route UI just like when you access it from the iOS Control Center. It also has Input Source, where you can select between available microphones etc. Any ideas @Michael ?

I’m pretty sure they’re using a private mechanism for that – perhaps we’ll see it in the coming years as a public API

• @Michael said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Hannes said:
    “”

I’m pretty sure they’re using a private mechanism for that – perhaps we’ll see it in the coming years as a public API

Yeah, see my further investigation in https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/1217762#Comment_1217762