Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Used MacBook Air… Ok for my use?

I kindly was given a 2013 MacBookPro some years back by @kinkujin. It has served me well, but the screen will not go on and it doesn’t want to charge. It went on one time for about 5 minutes, so the screen does illuminate but it went dark again.

In any case ikm looking to buy a used laptop to use with Pianoteq and Roli Equator2. Is this a good choice? Any other suggestions? Also, is Backwater reputable? Thx, guys.

Comments

• Why not pianoteq for ipad?

Or a mac mini?

• I buy a lot of my phones from there, never had a problem. Have not used Roli Equator or Pianoteq so couldn’t say how well it would perform.

• @sigma79 i thought, probably erroneously, that using the laptop in conjunction with ios Pianoteq gives more functionality? At any rate it’s Ewuator2 that is my real need.

Thx @midlife that boosts my confidence.

• I'd avoid getting a 2 core cpu and at least get a model with 4cores starting from i5 8xxxx series
    On
    https://support.roli.com/support/solutions/articles/36000019253-minimum-system-requirements-for-roli-software
    it says i5/ryzen 5 , the later is at least 4core cpu ...

• I'd recommend a used MacBook Air M1, it will work a lot better than Intel based Mac, have incredible / unbelievable battery life, and no fan. I have had one for almost 2 years now and it's the laptop for music or anything else I have ever owned.

• edited May 2023

Thx @auxmux … like this…

Will this do the job @Korakios?

• edited May 2023

@LinearLineman said:
    Thx @auxmux … like this…

Will this do the job @Korakios?

Yup absolutely. Should do the trick, tho I would recommend bumping to 512gb of storage and 16gb of ram if your budget allows. Mine is that config and it supports everything: Logic, Ableton, Bitwig etc.

Also, worth checking clearance on Apple site for full warranty.

• Thx @auxmux no dreams of Logic or Final Cut so, if 8g works with Equator I’m good.

• Ah cool, yeah processor is same, so should be good.

• Thanks for solving my problem @auxmux!

• No problem, looks like they are saying 16gb recommended for ram: https://roli.com/products/software/equator2/overview but 8gb is minimum.

• @auxmux said:
    No problem, looks like they are saying 16gb recommended for ram: https://roli.com/products/software/equator2/overview but 8gb is minimum.

8gb on M1 is actually more than double when comparing to x86 architecture :)

• So happy with my m1 air. It realy makes you fly.
    The base config 256 storage is enough.
    I would rather get some external storage for samples and backup.

• Pianoteq desktop and ios is identical

But yes you will definitely want a laptop for equator 2! And get Plasmonic synth too.... Beautiful mpe physical modeling synth. Love it

• Yes, that MacBook Air M1 model is a bit of a beast. It should keep you happy for quite some time. It's light, fast and quiet (no fan noise). It will run your music software easily.

• Yes, the M1 is the one to go for.

• @Gavinski, thanks, bro. As I think about this… I will have all these beautiful Equator presets, but I cannot record them into Cubasis except as analog through an audio interface… that’s correct, right?

And, of course, I can’t assign Equator as an AU. So, since I’ve gotten used to midi editing the Equator sounds will not help me in my goal of creating 1000 tracks (175 to go!)

I guess there’s my personal enjoyment to consider, too. Lol, meanwhile I’ve yet to do anything but charge the battery. I’ve been waiting to complete my studio and it will be complete tomorrow. They delivered the Novus yesterday, Gavin, and forgot the power cord (lol, that loses me the acoustic v digital debate once and for all. You don’t have to plug in an acoustic).

Any further words of wisdom about my messing with a laptop (which i don’t like to use) and getting the Equator sounds?

• @LinearLineman said:
    @Gavinski, thanks, bro. As I think about this… I will have all these beautiful Equator presets, but I cannot record them into Cubasis except as analog through an audio interface… that’s correct, right?

And, of course, I can’t assign Equator as an AU. So, since I’ve gotten used to midi editing the Equator sounds will not help me in my goal of creating 1000 tracks (175 to go!)

I guess there’s my personal enjoyment to consider, too. Lol, meanwhile I’ve yet to do anything but charge the battery. I’ve been waiting to complete my studio and it will be complete tomorrow. They delivered the Novus yesterday, Gavin, and forgot the power cord (lol, that loses me the acoustic v digital debate once and for all. You don’t have to plug in an acoustic).

Any further words of wisdom about my messing with a laptop (which i don’t like to use) and getting the Equator sounds?

Unfortunately not, because the last time I did that was a while ago and I only flirted briefly with it. @enkaytee is a good person to ask about this, I'm sure there are others here also who know a lot

• @Korakios said:

@auxmux said:
    No problem, looks like they are saying 16gb recommended for ram: https://roli.com/products/software/equator2/overview but 8gb is minimum.

8gb on M1 is actually more than double when comparing to x86 architecture :)

Yeah, the Macbook M1 was an unexpected surprise from Apple. I got the 8GB ram Mac Mini which served me well for a lot of projects. But yeah, I’d definitely recommend the Air, because of the added portability.

• edited June 2023

Since I got somewhat similar requirements, I hope @LinearLineman I may hijack your thread. I‘m thinking about buying a MacBook for my (future) live music room. I have a Seaboard so there will also be

• Equator 2 running,
    • Pianoteq with my stage piano,
    • a synth emu or some Kontakt VSTi with my normal MIDI-keyboard,
    • a drum VSTi for my e-drums and
    • an electric guitar and bass, each with an amp sim and some effects.

Probably all in Ableton Live so I‘ll also use some of its devices, too. So more instruments than the OP and they all should run simultaneously in a low latency setup.

Do you think an M1 or M2 MacBook can do this? I‘d like the portable aspect of a notebook but a reliable solution for my main use case is more important.

• edited June 2023

Mike, do you need a laptop, for portability or any other reason? I'm asking because if you plan to use it sitting at your desk (as opposed to traveling all over, sitting on the couch like @tahiche, or "making a beat" in a park like the silly YouTube influencers etc. 😉) you'd be better off with a similarly specced M1 Mac mini and a (non-Apple) monitor. Much better for your eyes, too.

Good luck with it either way!

• No prob @iTVbene and thank you @ervin i’ll consider that.