Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[Logic Pro] My review - what's in and what's missing

Comments

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

@Eclipxe said:
    No, it's not. You're forgetting that iOS apps are sandboxed. Logic doesn't have access to read files stored outside of its app sandbox.

That's incorrect. That was addressed somewhere around iOS 13 or so. Apps can, and do, include file browsers that can access anything that the files app can see as long as you grant permission when prompted.

It is an odd oversight that they wouldn't provide a file browser considering it's a standard Apple supplied library that any developer can use (and even extend as SampleCrate has done).

I chock it up to Apple's default "Why would you want to use anything else when you're in the perfect world of an Apple designed app?" I'm sure they'll wake up and add it. Heck, even Pages, Numbers, and Keynote have it.

• @gregsmith said:

@monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@klownshed said:

@monz0id said:
    Any ideas how to get your own audio into the sampler (except drag and drop from files)? It doesn’t seem to let me out of the Logic ecocentre. And like AUv3’s, there’s no option in the browser.

What do you mean? If not in files, where is your audio?

You can drag it in from the files app or from the browser or from the timeline. Although if you drag from the timeline you drop the audio into a blank area in the tracks header, or into a quick sampler in the tracks area, not it would seem into the plugin tile.

Thanks, but - how do I load an audio file to the Sampler without dragging from the Files app? It doesn’t allow me to browse outside of the Logic system.

I’m not on a big iPad, so fiddling about with split screens isn’t an option.

Bring the Files app in a popover/slide over and drag from there. This works even on a Mini.

Yeah, as I said, without dragging from the Files app.

That is a total workflow cludge. I should be able to access and load my own audio files via Logic itself.

Surely there’s a way to do this? All apps that use audio allow this.

Logic doesn't have a built in file browser in iOS. You have to use the Files app.

There’s a big browser panel on the left, where AUv3’s and user samples could be accessed, and pretty much every single app that uses audio will load in my samples via a pop up in the app itself.

Admit it, this is a UI failure.

No, it's not. You're forgetting that iOS apps are sandboxed. Logic doesn't have access to read files stored outside of its app sandbox.

And yet all my other apps can do it

I’ve switched from the drum machine designer thing to Sitala so I can browse samples normally again. For drums anyway. It’s pretty nice with the Logic pattern sequencer which is excellent.

Ah yeah - Spacecraft lets me do it (before crashing), but it seems the built-in Sampler doesn’t.

A feature, apparently.

• @monz0id said:

@klownshed said:

@monz0id said:

@klownshed said:

@monz0id said:
    Any ideas how to get your own audio into the sampler (except drag and drop from files)? It doesn’t seem to let me out of the Logic ecocentre. And like AUv3’s, there’s no option in the browser.

What do you mean? If not in files, where is your audio?

You can drag it in from the files app or from the browser or from the timeline. Although if you drag from the timeline you drop the audio into a blank area in the tracks header, or into a quick sampler in the tracks area, not it would seem into the plugin tile.

Thanks, but - how do I load an audio file to the Sampler without dragging from the Files app? It doesn’t allow me to browse outside of the Logic system.

I’m not on a big iPad, so fiddling about with split screens isn’t an option.

You do need to use the files app. Works fine in slide over mode.

Would be good if they let you access the files from the browser. But Logic isn’t Live. I’m thinking you’re trying to use Logic like you might use Live? Different beasts. Live’s browser is great. This isn’t it.

I’m not sure if it’s even possible to surface files in the browser due to iPad's sandbox?

All I want to be able to do, is click the button to add one of my own audio files into the sampler. Like I do with Spacecraft, Samplr, Elsa etc. etc. etc. Leaving the app to open another app, Files, mucking about with slide-over on a smaller iPad, dragging the file across, closing the slide-over is a cludge.

I can imagine the design team being proud of slideover and not thinking anything else is needed. I agree with you, it’s nowhere near as convenient, apart from if you’re dragging and dropping multiple samples in quick succession.

• @monz0id said:

@OnfraySin said:

@monz0id said:

Nop. In this way all the content from Logic it’s in the browser and external content in Files. Make sense

Right. So lacking basic functionality is making sense. Gotcha.

Nop. Ableton works like the same way (you can bookmark the folders, I know, but the core is in there) and I love the approach.

• edited May 2023

@monz0id said:

Don’t agree. But I’m coming from a Logic background. Live feels all kinds of wrong to me.

So far I’m really liking what I’m seeing. It’s what I hoped it would be. Everything I’m trying works because I’m already a Logic user. There are major differences obviously but it’s pretty much exactly what I want on the iPad.

I don’t want the Mac version. I’ve already got that. I’m glad it’s not trying to be Live, Cubase or Bitwig. I can understand how it’s confusing coming from a different desktop DAW when your d tire workflow ends up not working.

I get that it’s very opinionated and isn’t an app to bend to your will. Hopefully if you give it s chance you’ll find ways of using it that are less maddening to you.

• @wim said:

@Eclipxe said:

That's incorrect. That was addressed somewhere around iOS 13 or so. Apps can, and do, include file browsers that can access anything that the files app can see as long as you grant permission when prompted.

It is an odd oversight that they wouldn't provide a file browser considering it's a standard Apple supplied library that any developer can use (and even extend as SampleCrate has done).

There’s a definite feeling of keeping external files and apps out of the picture with this one. The ‘browser’ in particular is heavily geared towards the internal content.

Considering I bought this specifically for using my existing apps with, it’s a massive disappointment. I’ll most likely be deleting this tomorrow.

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

@gregsmith said:
    I can imagine the design team being proud of slideover and not thinking anything else is needed. I agree with you, it’s nowhere near as convenient, apart from if you’re dragging and dropping multiple samples in quick succession.

Maybe they're just embarrassed of their own file browser with its ridiculous method for audio file preview.

• Yeah, most apps and AUv3 allow a pop up of Files browser to import samples, have been doing that for a long time.

• @klownshed said:

@monz0id said:

Don’t agree. But I’m coming from a Logic background. Live feels all kinds of wrong to me.

I’m not comparing it to Live on the desktop, it doesn’t include basic functionality that my other iOS apps have. Koala has a file browser, my samplers can open external files without a slide-over.

This is not a case of personal preference, it lacks basic functionality that is hindering my workflow.

• I’m Ableton user and I’m so comfortable with this Logic…that cannot understand why I’m not equal on Logic in Mac.

Pretty amazing piece of software we have right here. This is the beginning of a revolution!

• @monz0id said:

@wim said:

@Eclipxe said:

There’s a definite feeling of keeping external files and apps out of the picture with this one. The ‘browser’ in particular is heavily geared towards the internal content.

Considering I bought this specifically for using my existing apps with, it’s a massive disappointment. I’ll most likely be deleting this tomorrow.

It's v1.0. They're gonna get slammed with similar complaints. I think they'll be somewhat responsive. It's not like GarageBand where they couldn't give a crap because it's free and primarily geared toward beginner users.

(Before I get hammered by others on that last sentence, I don't mean GarageBand is only for beginners. Obviously it's not. But it's geared design-wise that way.)

• edited May 2023

@OnfraySin said:

@monz0id said:

@OnfraySin said:

@monz0id said:

Nop. In this way all the content from Logic it’s in the browser and external content in Files. Make sense

Right. So lacking basic functionality is making sense. Gotcha.

Nop. Ableton works like the same way (you can bookmark the folders, I know, but the core is in there) and I love the approach.

What’s Ableton on the desktop (which does allow external file browsing anyway), got to do with missing basic file browsing functionality on iOS?

• is there a way to map a midi controller? Knob?

• Slide over is totally unnecessary when it should be a pop-up here as it's much quicker.

• @wim said:

@monz0id said:

@wim said:

@Eclipxe said:

It's v1.0. They're gonna get slammed with similar complaints. I think they'll be somewhat responsive. It's not like GarageBand where they couldn't give a crap because it's free and primarily geared toward beginner users.

Maybe, or maybe anyone pointing out the issues will be hammered down by the True Believers.

• @monz0id said:

@wim said:

@monz0id said:

@wim said:

@Eclipxe said:

Maybe, or maybe anyone pointing out the issues will be hammered down by the True Believers.

'tis your fate.

Name one prophet your ancestors didn’t persecute! They even killed the ones who predicted the coming of the Righteous One—the Messiah whom you betrayed and murdered. -Acts 7:52

• @monz0id said:

@wim said:

@monz0id said:

@wim said:

@Eclipxe said:

Hey, fwiw I admitted I was wrong - it is possible and you're right, it would be good to have file browsing natively!

• edited May 2023

Short question:
    Can I record live Hilda or ID700 or other instruments as Audio (like AUM)?

• @gregsmith said:

@Pxlhg said:

@gregsmith said:
    Anyone know how to do auv3 multi out?

I can't figure out how to add an AUV3 at all, all of a sudden. As a plugin, no problem but instrument..no!

From track view…

• button, 3 dots next to midi, Patch/Instrument, Instruments, ‘Remember who made it as there’s no search in this bit’, Choose auv3 😉

Thanks but I don't see that but I figured you can click on the instrument name on the channel strip and get the option to change. Multi out seem tough to do, pretty poor if it's not available.

• Can you change what AUv3 parameters are shown on this view?

• edited May 2023

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@wim said:

@monz0id said:

@wim said:

@Eclipxe said:

Hey, fwiw I admitted I was wrong - it is possible and you're right, it would be good to have file browsing natively!

Yes you did, and I appreciate it.

I’m not looking for faults by the way - I cleared a load of files and apps from my iPad this morning, and updated iOS (wish I hadn’t), before installing Logic. I really wanted Logic to provide me with a nice workflow with my existing apps and samples, so it’s disappointment and frustration I feel here. I was even prepared to shell out for a bigger device if it clicked!

There are lots of really good things in the app. Unfortunately it doesn’t make using external apps and files an easy task, which was my whole reason for using it, so I’ll uninstall and hope for better future compatibility.

• I need some more popcorn because these threads are a goldmine of drama lol

• Hopefully the best thing to come out of this will be for other DAW developers to think they can do better. Audio on the iPad has needed an app like this to push the bar.

It can clearly be pushed much higher.

Competition will help.

• edited May 2023

@martinjuenke said:
    Short question:

You can record the audio output live, yeah. Set the output of the instrument channel to a bus, create a new audio track and set the input to that bus. Record enable that channel, then hit record. The output of the instrument track including insert fx will be recorded to the new audio track.

Also works the same way to record the audio from fx returns.

• @monz0id said:

@wim said:

@monz0id said:

@wim said:

@Eclipxe said:

If you’re including me in that I was only trying to help. I’m happy to stop.

• @klownshed said:

@martinjuenke said:
    Short question:

You can record the audio output live, yeah. Set the output of the instrument channel to a bus, create a new audio track and set the input to that bus. Record enable that channel, then hit record. The output of the instrument track including insert fx will be recorded to the new audio track.

Also works the same way to record the audio from fx returns.

Thanks!

• Is multi-core support confirmed?

• @Eclipxe : Thanks for this post . It’s essential. I’m beyond thrilled with the app.

• IMO people that cry when something isn't implemented and working flawlessly right on release are insufferable.

The things people are whining about will get added and they'll probably be added soon. They already updated the app today.

Calm down.

It's clear to me that this will be the whole deal, but arguably better for anyone that prefers either touch screens or just working on an iPad.

It won't be missing features down the track. You can already tell how awesome this thing is and it'll only get better. Hands down the best DAW on iPad, no comparison imo.

No Flex Time or Flex Pitch sucks for now but it'll come.

My guess is some of the bigger omissions like the above will arrive sooner rather than later.

• @sdesign said:
    Can you change what AUv3 parameters are shown on this view?

Don't know. Have you tried long-pressing one of them to see if you're presented with other options?