Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[Logic Pro] My review - what's in and what's missing

Comments

• @The Krazy Wabbit said:
    the argument about "what is missing" is kind of silly. While, yes, today it might literally not be there, 1. You've been making music before today. 2. the thing or some version of it will come.

This is how this works. The incremental drip. You will not get everything day one.

Patience is key.

It is also a competition between options.

• @realdawei said:

@richardyot said:
    One thing that appears to be missing is the on/off button on the track, which disables the track and all the plugins. On an iPad this could be quite handy.

In case in hasn’t been answered this is in there just have to add it in track headers

Thanks!

• Anyone know how to do auv3 multi out?

• Aw no
    Scaler not working with Logic Pro
    That’s annoying

• How’s the audio editing?

• Would have liked musical typing…that proved really handy in the desktop…not requiring a MIDI keyboard all the time. I guess touch screen obviated the need for that

• @realdawei said:
    Would have liked musical typing…that proved really handy in the desktop…not requiring a MIDI keyboard all the time. I guess touch screen obviated the need for that

I'll bet that'll be added. Probably just didn't make it into the initial release.

• @monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@klownshed said:

@monz0id said:
    Any ideas how to get your own audio into the sampler (except drag and drop from files)? It doesn’t seem to let me out of the Logic ecocentre. And like AUv3’s, there’s no option in the browser.

What do you mean? If not in files, where is your audio?

You can drag it in from the files app or from the browser or from the timeline. Although if you drag from the timeline you drop the audio into a blank area in the tracks header, or into a quick sampler in the tracks area, not it would seem into the plugin tile.

Thanks, but - how do I load an audio file to the Sampler without dragging from the Files app? It doesn’t allow me to browse outside of the Logic system.

I’m not on a big iPad, so fiddling about with split screens isn’t an option.

Bring the Files app in a popover/slide over and drag from there. This works even on a Mini.

Yeah, as I said, without dragging from the Files app.

That is a total workflow cludge. I should be able to access and load my own audio files via Logic itself.

Surely there’s a way to do this? All apps that use audio allow this.

Logic doesn't have a built in file browser in iOS. You have to use the Files app.

• @Eclipxe said:
    Okay, overall take - 9.5/10

It's not Garageband Pro, it's not everything in the desktop version of logic, but it's more than enough to be orders of magnitude better than any DAW ever on iOS.

Key things:

• UI is incredibly fluid and easy to get around
    • The plugin tiles are so useful - even AUv3s show controls. Love the metering. love love love them
    • Region and midi editing are quick and fluid. Best I've used in an iOS DAW
    • Very powerful region and midi controls - very deep settings for quantization, etc
    • Time sig, tempo, markers are all solid
    • All of the instruments are there and redesigned UIs (except Ultrabeat (which is now Drum Machine Designer)) and the full Sampler.
    • All of the effects are there
    • Midi fx are there, including SCRIPTER!!!!
    • AUv3s so far integrate very nicely, feel native
    • Full automation editing for Auv3s
    • Mixer is incredible
    • All of the drummers are there
    • Pattern editor is all there, very very very deep
    • Live loops all there
    • The chord strips, guitar strips, fretboard and scale locked keyboard are nice and available in any instrument
    • The browser now includes previews for everything (including instruments) - something missing from desktop logic
    • Has flex time

Things missing from the desktop so far:

• Score editor
    • Arrangement markers
    • Region aliases
    • No flex pitch
    • Alchemy full editing (though somewhat compensated by Sample Alchemy)
    • Full Multi Sampler is there for compat but no editing (the Quick Sampler mitigates with full features, slicing, time stretch, etc)
    • Settings are a bit sparse
    • No environment editor

Overall, totally worth it. For all of the "well it's not going to be 1:1 to desktop", they're mostly right - there are some things missing, but 1) they're mostly mitigated and 2) other than arrangement markers and region aliases, are things that probably wouldn't translate well to an ipad. There might be other things I'm missing and will have to try roundtrip back and forth to desktop, but yeah solid 9.5/10. Game changer.

Great to read such an informed and detailed overview, thanks a lot!

• @Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@klownshed said:

@monz0id said:
    Any ideas how to get your own audio into the sampler (except drag and drop from files)? It doesn’t seem to let me out of the Logic ecocentre. And like AUv3’s, there’s no option in the browser.

You can drag it in from the files app or from the browser or from the timeline. Although if you drag from the timeline you drop the audio into a blank area in the tracks header, or into a quick sampler in the tracks area, not it would seem into the plugin tile.

Thanks, but - how do I load an audio file to the Sampler without dragging from the Files app? It doesn’t allow me to browse outside of the Logic system.

Bring the Files app in a popover/slide over and drag from there. This works even on a Mini.

That is a total workflow cludge. I should be able to access and load my own audio files via Logic itself.

Logic doesn't have a built in file browser in iOS. You have to use the Files app.

In slide-over mode. Yes, that really sucks, lol. So short-sighted of Apple to be honest.

• Logic Pro for iPad is very nice! I've only scratched the surface and it's a nice surprise. And I'm very glad they provide a search textfield in the plugin dialogs, ready for the AUBE keyboard extension :)

The piano roll on top of Drumkit is super cool!

And the UI resizing very smooth!

• @krassmann said:
    For now, I noticed two things that I'm missing

1. No support for Stage Manager
    2. No support for my Launchpad X as a pad controller for Live Loops

Boo, I was hoping for this. But I had no low expectations so no that disappointed lol

• @auxmux said:

@krassmann said:

Boo, I was hoping for this. But I had no low expectations so no that disappointed lol

It works fine with Stage Manager for me?

• @gregsmith said:
    Anyone know how to do auv3 multi out?

I can't figure out how to add an AUV3 at all, all of a sudden. As a plugin, no problem but instrument..no!

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@klownshed said:

@monz0id said:

In slide-over mode. Yes, that really sucks, lol. So short-sighted of Apple to be honest.

With stage manager you can have it side by side.

• @Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@klownshed said:

@monz0id said:

There’s a big browser panel on the left, where AUv3’s and user samples could be accessed, and pretty much every single app that uses audio will load in my samples via a pop up in the app itself.

Admit it, this is a UI failure.

• Just discovered momentary functions for the region and midi editor buttons. Makes edits even faster. Love it:

From the manual (page 24):

Use function buttons as momentary buttons

Function buttons can also be used as momentary buttons. To use a function button as
    a momentary button, you touch and hold the button, then perform an editing operation
    without releasing your finger. After completing the operation, you release your finger, and
    the function button that was selected before the momentary one you just used remains
    selected. For example, with the Trim button selected, you can touch and hold the Split
    button, split one or more regions using the Scissors tool, then release your finger from the
    Split button, and the Trim button remains selected.
    When you touch and hold a function button but release your finger without performing any
    editing operation, the button becomes selected, and its edit mode is turned on.

• I'm definitely going to need AUBE, I don't know who the vast majority of my plugins are by.

• @Eclipxe said:

@auxmux said:

@krassmann said:

It works fine with Stage Manager for me?

I mean the launchpad support.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@klownshed said:

@monz0id said:

It’s a cludge.

• @monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@klownshed said:

@monz0id said:

There’s a big browser panel on the left, where AUv3’s and user samples could be accessed, and pretty much every single app that uses audio will load in my samples via a pop up in the app itself.

No, it's not. You're forgetting that iOS apps are sandboxed. Logic doesn't have access to read files stored outside of its app sandbox.

• @Pxlhg said:

@gregsmith said:
    Anyone know how to do auv3 multi out?

I can't figure out how to add an AUV3 at all, all of a sudden. As a plugin, no problem but instrument..no!

From track view…

• button, 3 dots next to midi, Patch/Instrument, Instruments, ‘Remember who made it as there’s no search in this bit’, Choose auv3 😉
  • @Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@klownshed said:

@monz0id said:

No, it's not. You're forgetting that iOS apps are sandboxed. Logic doesn't have access to read files stored outside of its app sandbox.

And yet all my other apps can do it.

• edited May 2023

Hard to know what thread to post in! Loving the UI so far, I’m finding it quite intuitive.

I can’t get daw remote / transport controls to work from my keylab, tried HUI, Mackie and Logic. Doesn’t seem to be an options in settings to read from the exclusive daw midi input. Maybe the cool kids don’t use daw remote control these days.

• @monz0id said:

@klownshed said:

@monz0id said:

You do need to use the files app. Works fine in slide over mode.

Would be good if they let you access the files from the browser. But Logic isn’t Live. I’m thinking you’re trying to use Logic like you might use Live? Different beasts. Live’s browser is great. This isn’t it.

I’m not sure if it’s even possible to surface files in the browser due to iPad's sandbox?

• @monz0id said:

Nop. In this way all the content from Logic it’s in the browser and external content in Files. Make sense

• @monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@klownshed said:

@monz0id said:

And yet all my other apps can do it

I’ve switched from the drum machine designer thing to Sitala so I can browse samples normally again. For drums anyway. It’s pretty nice with the Logic pattern sequencer which is excellent.

• @monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@klownshed said:

@monz0id said:

And yet all my other apps can do it.

You know what, you're actually right - Koala can add locations from Files and then browse natively. I forgot this was something now possible.

• @klownshed said:

@monz0id said:

@klownshed said:

@monz0id said:

You do need to use the files app. Works fine in slide over mode.

Would be good if they let you access the files from the browser. But Logic isn’t Live. I’m thinking you’re trying to use Logic like you might use Live? Different beasts. Live’s browser is great. This isn’t it.

I’m not sure if it’s even possible to surface files in the browser due to iPad's sandbox?

All I want to be able to do, is click the button to add one of my own audio files into the sampler. Like I do with Spacecraft, Samplr, Elsa etc. etc. etc. Leaving the app to open another app, Files, mucking about with slide-over on a smaller iPad, dragging the file across, closing the slide-over is a cludge.

• @OnfraySin said:

@monz0id said:

Nop. In this way all the content from Logic it’s in the browser and external content in Files. Make sense

Right. So lacking basic functionality is making sense. Gotcha.