Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[Logic Pro] My review - what's in and what's missing

Comments

• I can tell only one thing is that it is not an advantage to be user of LP desktop, I feel a bit lost in all these tiny buttons and hidden menus. But it is just a feeling as I am not yet comfortable using it but how can you be comfortable with a quite deep daw just after 2 or 3 hours ?

A bit disappointed by Alchemy on the IPad. At this stage It should not replace Logic for Desktop particularly if you work on many tracks but I am not surprise as IPad screen is for traveling.

• is there an option to score to video, as there is on desktop logic?

• @klownshed said:
    Beatbreaker is fun!

I want it on the Mac now please Apple!

"[...]but parameter editing is only available when using Logic Pro for iPad."

A strange twist of proceedings :)

• edited May 2023

@raabje said:
    I have it running, this DAW is pretty clever and smooth. I use it mainly the way I use AUM, just setup some tracks for a jam, nothing serious.

I see they copied the pull up and down sliders from the LK sequencer.

I have one question, so many topics here. Is it possible to get IAA apps into Logic with some kind of bridge app?

Probably not, but if possible, it is a way to get Lumbeat drummers inside Logic.

I seem to recall Ape Matrix can host IAA apps and did come with an AUfx for sending audio to other apps. I think I tried it many years ago and it worked but no idea if it still does or if I am forgetting a gotcha.

• @pepebaõ said:

@Eclipxe said:
    The good news is that the flex time engine is there - all of the various flex time modes, etc. I think they just need to build a UI for it. I can see that coming in the future - since our $4.99/mo should go to on-going development and features ;-)

You talk like Apple is an indie dev. Fact is they dont need our $5/mo to bring new stuff.

Today LP it's a new bone to pick but I predict that many will abandon Logic and go back to solutions that worked for them until then.

Fact is Cubasis 3 + tons of AUv3 we have can already do a lot LP does, with a 10inch friendly UI, and doesnt need monthly subscription. If they release a kick-ass sampler and more collab with Waves plugins, LP’s dead.

Ha! Yet another Apple-hater that believe that Apple cares about his opinions about Logic Pro…

Pepe, we have already heard your complaints for weeks, so, perhaps go back to Cubasis and make some music…

• edited May 2023

Any ideas how to get your own audio into the sampler (except drag and drop from files)? It doesn’t seem to let me out of the Logic ecocentre. And like AUv3’s, there’s no option in the browser.

• I want this on Mac now please Apple!

• @pepebaõ said:
    Fact is Cubasis 3 + tons of AUv3 we have can already do a lot LP does

Certainly not all. And I'm not sure "+ tons of AUv3" is the win you think it is ;)

• @klownshed said:
    Beatbreaker is fun!

I want it on the Mac now please Apple!

Yah it is pretty cool! Reminds me of Gross Beat meets Stutter Edit lite or something. Who knows, maybe I will get into it enough to justify the subby.

• @eross said:
    is there an option to score to video, as there is on desktop logic?

I could be wrong but I don’t think so. Only app I’ve seen be able to import video is Auria Pro which also has AAF import

• edited May 2023

@AudioGus said:
    I seem to recall Ape Matrix can host IAA apps and did come with an AUfx for sending audio to other apps. I seem to recall trying it many years ago and it worked but no idea if it still does or if I am forgetting a gotcha.

okay, thanks for the reply!

But when I think about it now, I see no Ableton Link option in the setting menu (?), so if I can pipe Lumbeat into Logic, it would not run in sync.

• No flex pitch

Why? I mean this is what would make me jump around like a little girl

• @monz0id said:
    Any ideas how to get your own audio into the sampler (except drag and drop from files)? It doesn’t seem to let me out of the Logic ecocentre. And like AUv3’s, there’s no option in the browser.

What do you mean? If not in files, where is your audio?

You can drag it in from the files app or from the browser or from the timeline. Although if you drag from the timeline you drop the audio into a blank area in the tracks header, or into a quick sampler in the tracks area, not it would seem into the plugin tile.

• Random observations: @klownshed way of loading au is easy, especially with aube, it’s no harder than how I currently work in aum. Bummed sculpture does not have the ui. Currently wondering how to do modulation from one au to another (lfo, etc).

• @klownshed said:

@monz0id said:

You can drag it in from the files app or from the browser or from the timeline. Although if you drag from the timeline you drop the audio into a blank area in the tracks header, or into a quick sampler in the tracks area, not it would seem into the plugin tile.

Thanks, but - how do I load an audio file to the Sampler without dragging from the Files app? It doesn’t allow me to browse outside of the Logic system.

I’m not on a big iPad, so fiddling about with split screens isn’t an option.

• heshes
    edited May 2023

@monz0id said:
    I just find it so bloody clunky. It’s not fun.

I don't think people generally describe any DAW as fun. They're for doing serious business.

Loopy Pro, AUM, Drambo, those are fun.

• edited May 2023

AUv3 automation recording doesn't work in many cases, because most AUv3s don't send AUParameterAutomationEventTypeTouch and Release events required by Audio Unit specification.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/audiotoolbox/auparameterautomationeventtype?language=objc

So if you have a problem with your fav AUv3, inform developer please.

I'm glad Logic is the first DAW that requires this, it makes parameters recording much easier and robust.

(From my side: Zeeon works fine, Sunrizer will be updated soon)

• From what I read, this is simply not Logic Pro X ported over to iPad, but a new program that is similar to LPX but missing some important features.

Most seem to hope that such things will be added later - but I don't expect to Apple do much in this regard.

As I am not into subscriptions anyways, I am happy with that - it allows me to more easily ignore Logic Pro on iPad. And if I'm wrong, I can retry in a year or so 😅

I will try the tutorial and watch some reviews, but am sure that I will have deleted the App in some days!

• Is this also left out?

• New @Gavinski short has me rethinking sculpture ui, maybe it’s better than the old! I need more playtime.

• The UI takes a lot of inspiration from Drambo. The resizable sections that pop in and out.

Speaking of Drambo, it sequences Logic instruments nicely, but I haven’t manages to record Drambo’s sequencer midi into a logic track yet.

• Seems like the closest thing we have to a full version of Alchemy on iOS is Addstation.

• The built-in compressors metering is borked, I can't get any of the meters to display anything, even though the compressor is working.

• I've got a frozen meter in the mixer too.

• @monz0id said:

@klownshed said:

@monz0id said:

Thanks, but - how do I load an audio file to the Sampler without dragging from the Files app? It doesn’t allow me to browse outside of the Logic system.

Bring the Files app in a popover/slide over and drag from there. This works even on a Mini.

• @richardyot said:
    One thing that appears to be missing is the on/off button on the track, which disables the track and all the plugins. On an iPad this could be quite handy.

In case in hasn’t been answered this is in there just have to add it in track headers

• edited May 2023

@giku_beepstreet said:
    AUv3 automation recording doesn't work in many cases, because most AUv3s don't send AUParameterAutomationEventTypeTouch and Release events required by Audio Unit specification.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/audiotoolbox/auparameterautomationeventtype?language=objc

So if you have a problem with your fav AUv3, inform developer please.

I'm glad Logic is the first DAW that requires this, it makes parameters recording much easier and robust.

(From my side: Zeeon works fine, Sunrizer will be updated soon)

Hmmmm, now I wonder if I am doing something wrong with trying to record Au instruments as I cant get Zeeon automation to record in Logic.

Edit: oh snap, just updated Zeeon, works fine now. Hehe i should update all my apps now heh.

Ps. Did a little birdy tell you about this?

• Improved AUv3 parameter automation handling
      5d ago
  • edited May 2023

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@klownshed said:

@monz0id said:

Bring the Files app in a popover/slide over and drag from there. This works even on a Mini.

Yeah, as I said, without dragging from the Files app.

That is a total workflow cludge. I should be able to access and load my own audio files via Logic itself.

Surely there’s a way to do this? All apps that use audio allow this.

• @el_bo said:
    Been reading through the section on channel-strips, but can't seem to find anything suggesting that we can save our own channel-strips. Has anyone managed to find a way to do so?

Cheers :)

Just quoting myself to add that I finally found it under "Save custom patches in Logic Pro for iPad". Was looking for how to save channel-strips, which is how I'm used to doing it on Lp desktop. Probably would've found it sooner had i not started reading the manual from the end (Plugins section), and going backwards from there ;)

• the argument about "what is missing" is kind of silly. While, yes, today it might literally not be there, 1. You've been making music before today. 2. the thing or some version of it will come.

This is how this works. The incremental drip. You will not get everything day one.

Patience is key.