Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[Logic Pro] My review - what's in and what's missing

Comments

• @Eclipxe said:
    LOL at how fast the conspiracy of "apple hates wav files" was mitigated by "click the tiny i"

Yes, Hyperbolic Responses are set to "overdrive" right now. Everyone calm down, please. LOL.

• @richardyot said:
    Just tested Geoshred, it seems to record MPE OK.

<3

• edited May 2023

@OnfraySin said:

@Reid said:
    When I export, I get two options:

Uncompressed: AIFF only 44100

Compressed: M4A, AAC

So... no option for 48 khz, and it's a little tricky to use AIFF files in some PC DAWs

I just read that you can see them in the Cubase browser, if you check "scan unknown file types."

It would have been nice to have Wav files and 48 khz, which is commonly used for video.

Nop. You can export in Wave up to 96Khz

Thank you, @OnfraySin I was hoping somebody would set me straight.

I should add that it's super easy to export into AudioShare.

• The modulator midi fx - don't forget about it.

• edited May 2023

Both Black Hole and Tonex work. Somebody said there was issues, no.

This thing is quite something,

So, as many remember, Logic originally was WAY overly complicated. They fixed that, and now this one might even be 'more fixed' in regards to simplification. Which, is maybe not for everyone,.

• @NeuM said:

@Eclipxe said:
    LOL at how fast the conspiracy of "apple hates wav files" was mitigated by "click the tiny i"

Yes, Hyperbolic Responses are set to "overdrive" right now. Everyone calm down, please. LOL.

Uh huh. How much did Tim Cook pay you to say that?!? :lol:

• @dokwok2 said:
    Anyone tried installing Logic without GarageBand? I don’t see me needing them both...

I don’t have GarageBand installed on my iPad. It’s not necessary

• @mjm1138 said:

@NeuM said:

@Eclipxe said:

Uh huh. How much did Tim Cook pay you to say that?!? :lol:

I wish.

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@AudioGus said:

@Reid said:

So... no option for 48 khz, and it's a little tricky to use AIFF files in some PC DAWs

I just read that you can see them in the Cubase browser, if you check "scan unknown file types."

It would have been nice to have Wav files and 48 khz, which is commonly used for video.

Also, does anybody know a way to output MIDI files?

ahh right, Apple and their wav ban... sigh, this alone could be deal breaky for me.

Hit the i and you can switch to Wave and the sample rates

Oh great!

@Eclipxe said:

Whoot! and I didn't even have to try it myself. The forum works.

• @NeuM said:

@Eclipxe said:

nah no hyperbology, this is just lounge chat. 'Screw apple' etc never gets old ;)

• @Eclipxe said:

:smiley:

• @Nubus said:
    Both Black Hole and Tonex work. Somebody said there was issues, no.

I believe they were talking about being able to automate direct from the plugin GUI which they were unable to do. So far they could only do it with ProQ3 and no other AUv3 apps. Oh wait that was me haha

• For now, I noticed two things that I'm missing

1. No support for Stage Manager
    2. No support for my Launchpad X as a pad controller for Live Loops
  • @anickt said:

@Reid said:

Also, does anybody know a way to output MIDI files?

Press “info” to the right of Uncompressed. I see a lot of people saying “it doesn’t do this or that” when it does. Take the time to learn it.

Yah there will be some shooting from the hip but some things are clear. Most AUv3 plugins can't be automated from their GUI. Would love to be proven wrong though.

• Ok...so...

Having watched a few vids, scanning various parts of the manual, and benefitting from others answering my random questions, I think I've got a pretty decent idea of the current bigger picture.

Certain choices and omissions notwithstanding, I think this is a very solid start. The interface seems slick and window-management seems well-implemented; at least given how many sizes of device it has to work on. Not completely convinced that I'd rely on it for bigger projects, though. It's not that I don't think it'd work, if it was my only option. But the advantages afforded by having a 27" screen, within a comfortable ergonomically-sound setup are going to beat portability, while I have the choice of either option. That being said, I think as a desktop-user the real win here is going to be using the iPad to start projects and then migrating to desktop to finish. Not so much a round-trip, but certainly a better option for a one-way-trip than I currently have.

Need to back-up my iPad, update the OS and just start using it.

Cheers, everyone :)

• @monz0id said:
    I have to say I'm not bowled over by it. Seems a bit hit-and-miss screen-responsive-wise on my Air 4, lots of opening and closing and resizing of windows, AUv3's not showing in browser or named in tracks...not sure this is worth the hassle for me, but will give it a proper test out over the next few days.

I went through and expanded all the views I want to use to take up the whole screen and now it just remembers that when I next open it. It is cramped though, even on my 12.9" screen, and some of the UI animations are pretty janky.

• edited May 2023

Just tried recording a Hilda track, and the notes stick after I’ve finished.

I’m really struggling to like this thing…

@FastGhost said:

@monz0id said:
    I have to say I'm not bowled over by it. Seems a bit hit-and-miss screen-responsive-wise on my Air 4, lots of opening and closing and resizing of windows, AUv3's not showing in browser or named in tracks...not sure this is worth the hassle for me, but will give it a proper test out over the next few days.

I went through and expanded all the views I want to use to take up the whole screen and now it just remembers that when I next open it. It is cramped though, even on my 12.9" screen, and some of the UI animations are pretty janky.

Thanks, I think I’ve talked myself out of a 12.9” upgrade - specifically for this one anyway!

I’m keeping on, but really not into this so far at all.

• edited May 2023

@monz0id said:

@AudioGus said:

@monz0id said:

Yah that is my feeling too. I do like the multifx masher stuff and how automatable that is, being able to jump between the various slot settings. Will see if I just focus on that area, feeding in Egoist and my own loops and then exporting to desktop to see if there is enough juice for me to justify the annual sub. So far I don't really see trying make big compositions where elements all cook nicely together though.

No, I don't think I've got the patience for this on my iPad - just so much easier to use on desktop. I bought this for using my AUv3's, but it feels like they're a bit of an afterthought in this one. I'll give it a few weeks though.

You can speed this up quite a bit:

Add a ,idi track and set it up to add no instrument:

Now you can easily select the midi fx, instrument and audio fx from the plug-in panel thing:

After that you can double click in the empty area below the tracks to quickly add another. Or hit the + button and tap the green MIDI button to add another blank track. I prefer it like this already as it kind of mimics how I already do it on the Mac.

• @monz0id said:

You don’t like Logic and Logic doesn’t like your iPad…

• @klownshed said:

@monz0id said:

@AudioGus said:

@monz0id said:

Yah that is my feeling too. I do like the multifx masher stuff and how automatable that is, being able to jump between the various slot settings. Will see if I just focus on that area, feeding in Egoist and my own loops and then exporting to desktop to see if there is enough juice for me to justify the annual sub. So far I don't really see trying make big compositions where elements all cook nicely together though.

No, I don't think I've got the patience for this on my iPad - just so much easier to use on desktop. I bought this for using my AUv3's, but it feels like they're a bit of an afterthought in this one. I'll give it a few weeks though.

You can speed this up quite a bit:

Add a ,idi track and set it up to add no instrument:

Now you can easily select the midi fx, instrument and audio fx from the plug-in panel thing:

After that you can double click in the empty area below the tracks to quickly add another. Or hit the + button and tap the green MIDI button to add another blank track. I prefer it like this already as it kind of mimics how I already do it on the Mac.

Thanks, I’ll do that, looks quicker.

@ErrkaPetti said:

@monz0id said:

I just find it so bloody clunky. It’s not fun.

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@monz0id said:

Funny how that works, right?

• @gregsmith said:
    And why do I suddenly have to remember who made my 500 odd auv3s?

Heh, validates my app folder organisation by dev

• @NeuM said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@monz0id said:

Not really.

Here’s another thing that doesn’t work - recording AUv3 automation via the app - unless it’s hidden away somewhere like everything else.

• @monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@monz0id said:

Not really.

Here’s another thing that doesn’t work - recording AUv3 automation via the app - unless it’s hidden away somewhere like everything else.

Not being able to record from most AUV3s GUI is the little dirty secret no one wants to talk about. You can draw curves though if that is your thing.

• @monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@monz0id said:

Not really.

I could be wrong but it is probably the fault of the Audio Units which did not implement their automation system correctly and are missing the touch / release events for their UI controls or something because it records automation correctly in the small UI's of every plugin I tried.

• @AudioGus said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@monz0id said:

Not really.

Not being able to record from most AUV3s GUI is the little dirty secret no one wants to talk about. You can draw curves though if that is your thing.

Definitely not Gus. The whole point of this for me, was to easily load up a bunch of my apps, and play and record all the movements live in a nice, clean, easy to use UI.

Editing each bit of automation afterwards is just rubbish.

I’m still trundling on, but this really isn’t ticking my boxes.

• Been reading through the section on channel-strips, but can't seem to find anything suggesting that we can save our own channel-strips. Has anyone managed to find a way to do so?

Cheers :)

• edited May 2023

I have it running, this DAW is pretty clever and smooth. I use it mainly the way I use AUM, just setup some tracks for a jam, nothing serious.

I see they copied the pull up and down sliders from the LK sequencer.

I have one question, so many topics here. Is it possible to get IAA apps into Logic with some kind of bridge app?

Probably not, but if possible, it is a way to get Lumbeat drummers inside Logic.

• edited May 2023

@stellare_modular said:

@monz0id said:

@NeuM said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@monz0id said:

Not really.

I could be wrong but it is probably the fault of the Audio Units which did not implement their automation system correctly and are missing the touch / release events for their UI controls or something because it records automation correctly in the small UI's of every plugin I tried.

Could be that those plugins did use workarounds (or were following older protocols that later got updated) which is why those plugins work properly with their local GUI based automation recording in BM3 and Cubasis. So yah maybe the devs need to update their apps. So far I could only find Fab Filters working and they are mentioned in the Apple marketing etc so maybe they got the inside track with better specs beforehand or Apple specifically supports them under the hood or yah those other devs just stink hehe etc etc, who knows. But in the end if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. If it can be fixed universally across the board by Apple with logic then awesome. If it is about individual devs getting their end working, ehhh not good... and frustrating because their automation recording works fine in other hosts.

• Beatbreaker is fun!

I want it on the Mac now please Apple!