Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[Logic Pro] My review - what's in and what's missing

Comments

• edited May 2023

Well, it just came out and things will be fixed and added I'm sure. It's not like it's free. Apple listens. Sounds like it's complete. It's curious why a plugin like Tonex would crash. Black Hole doesn't work? Come on...

• @gregsmith said:

@monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:
    Stupid question coming up: how do I add an AUv3 instrument? I can't seem to find where they are in the browser, or anywhere else. I've found the fx, but not instruments.

Ta!

Long press on an existing instrument and choose replace

Thanks - nothing happens when I do that though. God, this is frustrating already...

This is the most frustrating thing I’ve found so far. Why aren’t auv3 sources in the browser thing on the left? And why do I suddenly have to remember who made my 500 odd auv3s? And where are all the app icons?

Yeah, there are a couple of ways to add them - when creating a new track, and via the roundabout PITA way I found via editing the instrument (long press doesn't work 95% of the time for me - maybe it's an older device issue?), but they should be listed in the browser plug-in section.

• Alchemy in this form is only player for patches. I tried to import custom patch from desktop Alchemy without any success.

• @NeuM said:

@Schmotown said:

@alecsbuga said:

@Eclipxe said:

@alecsbuga said:
    I need to update to 16.4, because I'm stupid and drooled all day on Push 3 videos and forgot.

Question until I update... Are GUITAR AMP FX effect in there? If yes... I swear I'm not buying an iPad app ever :))

Yes, Amp Designer and all stompboxes are there

N I C E !

Yeah, I played through a bunch and many sound quite good. FYI, Tonex crashes when loading.

Do you have MixBox? And if so, does it work?

I do and it seems to work as it should, especially after you expand it to fill most of the screen.

• @gregsmith said:

@monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:
    Stupid question coming up: how do I add an AUv3 instrument? I can't seem to find where they are in the browser, or anywhere else. I've found the fx, but not instruments.

Ta!

Long press on an existing instrument and choose replace

Thanks - nothing happens when I do that though. God, this is frustrating already...

This is the most frustrating thing I’ve found so far. Why aren’t auv3 sources in the browser thing on the left? And why do I suddenly have to remember who made my 500 odd auv3s? And where are all the app icons?

Odd, but kinda made up for by the lovely plug-in tiles

There is a search option though, which should help.

• @Schmotown said:

@NeuM said:

@Schmotown said:

@alecsbuga said:

@Eclipxe said:

@alecsbuga said:
    I need to update to 16.4, because I'm stupid and drooled all day on Push 3 videos and forgot.

Question until I update... Are GUITAR AMP FX effect in there? If yes... I swear I'm not buying an iPad app ever :))

Yes, Amp Designer and all stompboxes are there

N I C E !

Yeah, I played through a bunch and many sound quite good. FYI, Tonex crashes when loading.

Do you have MixBox? And if so, does it work?

I do and it seems to work as it should, especially after you expand it to fill most of the screen.

Great, thanks.

• @Luxthor said:
    Alchemy in this form is only player for patches. I tried to import custom patch from desktop Alchemy without any success.

Try saving a Logic file from desktop with the patch, open it and then save the patch from Alchemy. That should work?

• One thing that appears to be missing is the on/off button on the track, which disables the track and all the plugins. On an iPad this could be quite handy.

• Works well for me on iPad Mini. Feels so strange but nice having it in a small form factor.

• I have to say I'm not bowled over by it. Seems a bit hit-and-miss screen-responsive-wise on my Air 4, lots of opening and closing and resizing of windows, AUv3's not showing in browser or named in tracks...not sure this is worth the hassle for me, but will give it a proper test out over the next few days.

• edited May 2023

@BerlinFx said:

@AudioGus said:

@AudioGus said:

@Eclipxe said:

@AudioGus said:

@Eclipxe said:

• Full automation editing for Auv3s

Have you been able to do this with AUv3 FX? So far none of the ones I tried worked.

Yes, all that I've tried work. Which ones are you having issues with?

Turnado and Blackhole do not work. Looks like ProQ3 does though, whoot! yah devs may need to update plugins, if they care.

Oh but then ProQ3 seems buggy as you add more params. Ehh,it was a longshot anyway and the native plugins look good.

Did you try with toneboosters FX ?

Just tried with TC Reverb and it doesn't automate via the GUI. Really not interested in diving through hundreds of parameters (for some plugins) and then drawing curves in Logic.

• @Luxthor said:
    Alchemy in this form is only player for patches. I tried to import custom patch from desktop Alchemy without any success.

Does it come with the 3676 presets from the desktop version?

• @cokomairena said:

@el_bo said:
    May I ask if you've come across track-stacks and mixer-groups? Also, does it seem possible to add destructive FX/automation to isolated clips? Bounce-in-Place? Auto-Sampler? Also, does 'Quick Sampler' actually sample?

No pressure, of course. Just curous if they're going to be there or absent. Would be interested to know, as and when you discover

Cheers

groups are there and they collapse

Fantastic! Thanks :)

• The plugin UIs will scale and change knobs/sliders as you adjust the screen size/height. Nice touch.

• @monz0id said:
    I have to say I'm not bowled over by it. Seems a bit hit-and-miss screen-responsive-wise on my Air 4, lots of opening and closing and resizing of windows, AUv3's not showing in browser or named in tracks...not sure this is worth the hassle for me, but will give it a proper test out over the next few days.

Yah that is my feeling too. I do like the multifx masher stuff and how automatable that is, being able to jump between the various slot settings. Will see if I just focus on that area, feeding in Egoist and my own loops and then exporting to desktop to see if there is enough juice for me to justify the annual sub. So far I don't really see trying make big compositions where elements all cook nicely together though.

• @Eclipxe said:

@Luxthor said:

Try saving a Logic file from desktop with the patch, open it and then save the patch from Alchemy. That should work?

Works perfectly, thanx!

• No pinch to zoom on the trackpad is my biggest gripe right now 😂

• @Grandbear said:

@MAtrixplan said:

@Grandbear said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@MAtrixplan said:
    I couldn't find the Logic instruments. Just presets

Same. I want to load an instrument from its default setting, not from a dang preset.

They're all there, but the interface to get to them is rather clumsy

Sooo…. Where? ;)

1. Create New Track
    2. MIDI - Software Instrument - tap on the three dots
    3. Patch/Instrument - tap on the option to the right
    4. Tap Instruments
    5. A list with Logic Pro instruments and (separately) Audio Unit instruments appears

Gracias

• @MAtrixplan said:

@Grandbear said:

@MAtrixplan said:

@Grandbear said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@MAtrixplan said:
    I couldn't find the Logic instruments. Just presets

Same. I want to load an instrument from its default setting, not from a dang preset.

They're all there, but the interface to get to them is rather clumsy

Sooo…. Where? ;)

1. Create New Track
    2. MIDI - Software Instrument - tap on the three dots
    3. Patch/Instrument - tap on the option to the right
    4. Tap Instruments
    5. A list with Logic Pro instruments and (separately) Audio Unit instruments appears

Gracias

Cuando se le ofrezca, caballero

• Is the multi out on the drummer channel missing? On the desktop you could mix the snare, kick etc individually.

• edited May 2023

@AudioGus said:

@monz0id said:
    I have to say I'm not bowled over by it. Seems a bit hit-and-miss screen-responsive-wise on my Air 4, lots of opening and closing and resizing of windows, AUv3's not showing in browser or named in tracks...not sure this is worth the hassle for me, but will give it a proper test out over the next few days.

Yah that is my feeling too. I do like the multifx masher stuff and how automatable that is, being able to jump between the various slot settings. Will see if I just focus on that area, feeding in Egoist and my own loops and then exporting to desktop to see if there is enough juice for me to justify the annual sub. So far I don't really see trying make big compositions where elements all cook nicely together though.

No, I don't think I've got the patience for this on my iPad - just so much easier to use on desktop. I bought this for using my AUv3's, but it feels like they're a bit of an afterthought in this one. I'll give it a few weeks though.

• @Generic_Ed said:
    Is the multi out on the drummer channel missing? On the desktop you could mix the snare, kick etc individually.

Its there - you can unfold the drummer in the mixer and adjust each individually

• Can confirm you can load a project directly from an external drive and it’ll load. Saves as well

• When I export, I get two options:

Uncompressed: AIFF only 44100

Compressed: M4A, AAC

So... no option for 48 khz, and it's a little tricky to use AIFF files in some PC DAWs

I just read that you can see them in the Cubase browser, if you check "scan unknown file types."

It would have been nice to have Wav files and 48 khz, which is commonly used for video.

Also, does anybody know a way to output MIDI files?

• edited May 2023

@Reid said:
    When I export, I get two options:

So... no option for 48 khz, and it's a little tricky to use AIFF files in some PC DAWs

I just read that you can see them in the Cubase browser, if you check "scan unknown file types."

It would have been nice to have Wav files and 48 khz, which is commonly used for video.

ahh right, Apple and their wav ban... sigh, this alone could be deal breaky for me.

• @AudioGus said:

@Reid said:

ahh right, Apple and their wav ban... sigh, this alone could be deal breaky for me.

Hit the i and you can switch to Wave and the sample rates

• edited May 2023

@Reid said:

Nop. You can export in Wave up to 96Khz

• LOL at how fast the conspiracy of "apple hates wav files" was mitigated by "click the tiny i"

• edited May 2023

Maybe, maybe this is not a $5 app. This is a full DAW and read the manual is the first thing to do.

• @Eclipxe said:
    LOL at how fast the conspiracy of "apple hates wav files" was mitigated by "click the tiny i"

Hahahahahahaha