Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[Logic Pro] My review - what's in and what's missing

Comments

• edited May 2023

@NeuM said:

@tja said:

@NeuM said:
    Question for GarageBand users: When you import a GB file into Logic Pro on iPad, does it convert and replace the file or does it create a duplicate, leaving the original GB project file intact?

New copy

Interesting. That's good in case the conversion process corrupts the resulting file, I suppose. Thanks.

This is the same way it works for importing GarageBand projects into Logic Pro for Macintosh. That way the original project can still be opened in GB.

• edited May 2023

@mjm1138 said:

@NeuM said:

@tja said:

@NeuM said:
    Question for GarageBand users: When you import a GB file into Logic Pro on iPad, does it convert and replace the file or does it create a duplicate, leaving the original GB project file intact?

New copy

Interesting. That's good in case the conversion process corrupts the resulting file, I suppose. Thanks.

This is the same way it works for importing GarageBand projects into Logic Pro for Macintosh. That way the original project can still be opened in GB.

Yep. I've been testing the trial version of Logic Pro on macOS for a month so far. One issue I've found is very old GarageBand files will sometimes not open or it will warn me that an 'older version of Logic Pro' is needed to open the files! So now I have several dozen older GarageBand files (out of thousands) which cannot be opened by Logic or GarageBand.

• Re: Flextime and flex pitch from the manual

Importing Logic Pro projects with Flex Time and Flex Pitch
    You can import Logic Pro for Mac projects that contain Flex Time and Flex Pitch edits. Logic Pro for iPad will play back those edits, but you can’t edit the flex markers. However, in the Track inspector, you can choose different Flex Time parameters that might improve the sonic results.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/logicpro-ipad/lpipd075115b/1.0/ipados/16.0

• @MrSmileZ said:
    There goes alot of my projects coming over!
    I dont really like that a couple of great features are not there…

Yeah...I really don't get it. Why advertise round-trip compatibility when so much of the journey from Mac to iPad will revolve around the use of stems i.e no different than moving projects between any amount of non-compatible DAW.

It's so confounding, really. What's the, erm...logic of setting up everybody's expectations that this new app will be a 1:1 copy of something for which we already have known quantities? From the get-go, there is obviously going to be disappointment, when in reality what actually remains is still many times more advanced that what we've had on iOS, thus far.

I understand it's perhaps too good to be seen as Garageband Pro, but it literally isn't Logic Pro.

Oh well...

• @Eclipxe said:

@el_bo said:

May I ask if you've come across track-stacks and mixer-groups? Also, does it seem possible to add destructive FX/automation to isolated clips? Bounce-in-Place? Auto-Sampler? Also, does 'Quick Sampler' actually sample?

No pressure, of course. Just curous if they're going to be there or absent. Would be interested to know, as and when you discover

Cheers

• Track Stacks - yes, both folder stacks and summing stacks

• Mixer Groups - Yep, that's there!

• Bounce in place - it's there!

• Don't see auto sampler

• No ability to sample directly in quick sampler - but you can record to an audio track and then drop into a quick sampler (or slice to drummer)

• No per-region destructive FX/automation

Ok, thanks! Very much appreciated :)

Does dropping a loop in DMD also allow QS to slice it to 'pads, or is that what you meant by "drummer"?

• @Montreal_Music said:
    Can we record MPE midi?

Id like to know that too

• @el_bo said:

@Eclipxe said:

@el_bo said:

May I ask if you've come across track-stacks and mixer-groups? Also, does it seem possible to add destructive FX/automation to isolated clips? Bounce-in-Place? Auto-Sampler? Also, does 'Quick Sampler' actually sample?

No pressure, of course. Just curous if they're going to be there or absent. Would be interested to know, as and when you discover

Cheers

• Don't see auto sampler

• No ability to sample directly in quick sampler - but you can record to an audio track and then drop into a quick sampler (or slice to drummer)

Does dropping a loop in DMD also allow QS to slice it to 'pads, or is that what you meant by "drummer"?

Yes.

• @MrSmileZ said:
    No editing of alchemy STILL? What? Meh come on already…even OG alchemy could be edited on ios sheesh

I'm wondering perhaps if the reasoning behind this is that people might get into CPU territory that causes issue on their lower-bar to entry. It's definitely a real shame. Was really looking forward to having that power in mobile form.

• @Grandbear said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@MAtrixplan said:
    I couldn't find the Logic instruments. Just presets

Same. I want to load an instrument from its default setting, not from a dang preset.

They're all there, but the interface to get to them is rather clumsy

Sooo…. Where? ;)

• @Eclipxe said:

@el_bo said:

@Eclipxe said:

@el_bo said:

Cheers

• Don't see auto sampler

Yes.

Sweet! Thanks for taking the time to answer my quick-fire questions. I think I'll have to find out the rest, from tomorrow :)

• @el_bo said:

@Eclipxe said:

@el_bo said:

@Eclipxe said:

@el_bo said:

Cheers

• Don't see auto sampler

Yes.

Sweet! Thanks for taking the time to answer my quick-fire questions. I think I'll have to find out the rest, from tomorrow :)

No prob, ask away - I love digging into these things

• edited May 2023

@AudioGus said:

@AudioGus said:

@Eclipxe said:

@AudioGus said:

@Eclipxe said:

• Full automation editing for Auv3s

Have you been able to do this with AUv3 FX? So far none of the ones I tried worked.

Yes, all that I've tried work. Which ones are you having issues with?

Turnado and Blackhole do not work. Looks like ProQ3 does though, whoot! yah devs may need to update plugins, if they care.

Oh but then ProQ3 seems buggy as you add more params. Ehh,it was a longshot anyway and the native plugins look good.

Did you try with toneboosters FX ?

• @el_bo said:

@MrSmileZ said:
    No editing of alchemy STILL? What? Meh come on already…even OG alchemy could be edited on ios sheesh

I'm wondering perhaps if the reasoning behind this is that people might get into CPU territory that causes issue on their lower-bar to entry. It's definitely a real shame. Was really looking forward to having that power in mobile form.

Its interesting because Sample Alchemy is fairly full featured and has lots of controls. I wonder if there is a bigger change coming to Alchemy and we're seeing the transition?

• Stupid question coming up: how do I add an AUv3 instrument? I can't seem to find where they are in the browser, or anywhere else. I've found the fx, but not instruments.

Ta!

• @monz0id said:
    Stupid question coming up: how do I add an AUv3 instrument? I can't seem to find where they are in the browser, or anywhere else. I've found the fx, but not instruments.

Ta!

Long press on an existing instrument and choose replace

• Perfect integration between GB IPad and Logic IPad, non destructive and it tell you which sound pack from Logic to download to convert fully the GB project. I am focus on that first as it seems too early to test transfert of projects from LP IPad to LP Desktop which is not ready for that at the launch of LP IPad

• edited May 2023

@Eclipxe said:

@el_bo said:

@MrSmileZ said:

Its interesting because Sample Alchemy is fairly full featured and has lots of controls. I wonder if there is a bigger change coming to Alchemy and we're seeing the transition?

You could be right. But maybe there's a slight possibility that they're deliberately holding back features to encourage users to also buy into the desktop environment ;)

Don't mind me. That's about the extent of my interest in conspiracy theories ;)

• @Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:
    Stupid question coming up: how do I add an AUv3 instrument? I can't seem to find where they are in the browser, or anywhere else. I've found the fx, but not instruments.

Ta!

Thanks - nothing happens when I do that though. God, this is frustrating already...

• @monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

Ta!

Thanks - nothing happens when I do that though. God, this is frustrating already...

On the plugin quick tile

• edited May 2023

@monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

Ta!

In the plugin tiles click the + sign by MIDI FX. It's not obvious.

(Actually that's wrong) You have to replace the existing instrument.

• @richardyot said:

@monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

Ta!

In the plugin tiles click the + sign by MIDI FX. It's not obvious.

Thanks - yes I found it by accident - clicking the plug-ins button to reveal the plug-in details, then click the edit button, then click the '-' sign to remove the existing plug-in - then, finally I can see my AU isntruments. That's pants, they should be in the browser.

• Just tested Geoshred, it seems to record MPE OK.

• @monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

Ta!

This is the most frustrating thing I’ve found so far. Why aren’t auv3 sources in the browser thing on the left? And why do I suddenly have to remember who made my 500 odd auv3s? And where are all the app icons?

Odd, but kinda made up for by the lovely plug-in tiles

• @Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

@Eclipxe said:

@monz0id said:

Ta!

On the plugin quick tile

There's an issue with mine - the long-press doesn't seem to work 9 times out of 10.

• @alecsbuga said:

@Eclipxe said:

@alecsbuga said:
    I need to update to 16.4, because I'm stupid and drooled all day on Push 3 videos and forgot.

Question until I update... Are GUITAR AMP FX effect in there? If yes... I swear I'm not buying an iPad app ever :))

Yes, Amp Designer and all stompboxes are there

N I C E !

Yeah, I played through a bunch and many sound quite good. FYI, Tonex crashes when loading.

• @Schmotown said:

@alecsbuga said:

@Eclipxe said:

@alecsbuga said:
    I need to update to 16.4, because I'm stupid and drooled all day on Push 3 videos and forgot.

Question until I update... Are GUITAR AMP FX effect in there? If yes... I swear I'm not buying an iPad app ever :))

Yes, Amp Designer and all stompboxes are there

N I C E !

Yeah, I played through a bunch and many sound quite good. FYI, Tonex crashes when loading.

Do you have MixBox? And if so, does it work?

• Logic Pro for MacOS will be updated soon (today?) to version 10.7.8. One of the features is 'Roundtrip compatibility' with Logic Pro for IOS.

So, it's getting better and better.

• Did anyone test the mac logic roundtrip? How it handles vst's? Im at work 😣

• Synthmaster2 crashes a lot.... :/ alrighty, think I will just play with stock everything for a while and see how fun that is and write off AUv3 as there are too many exceptions/gotchas there.

• edited May 2023

@MAtrixplan said:

@Grandbear said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@MAtrixplan said:
    I couldn't find the Logic instruments. Just presets

Same. I want to load an instrument from its default setting, not from a dang preset.

They're all there, but the interface to get to them is rather clumsy

Sooo…. Where? ;)

1. Create New Track
    2. MIDI - Software Instrument - tap on the three dots
    3. Patch/Instrument - tap on the option to the right
    4. Tap Instruments
    5. A list with Logic Pro instruments and (separately) Audio Unit instruments appears