Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is Logic Pro a shot across the bow for Ableton, or is the market not big enough?

I'm pretty impressed with Logic Pro as a "suite."

Will Ableton take note, or are they making enough money hand over fist from their desktop business?

Comments

• They want to sell black bricks for $2000 instead

• @rvr said:
    They want to sell black bricks for $2000 instead

You mean Mpe bricks? 😂

• No one in music software makes money "hand over fist".

The issue is not "size" of the market as much as size times what people are willing to pay.

Today, the market probably would not be large enough at current price points for Live to be a profitable enterprise on iOS....the big question is whether Logic entering this market space will create a market that will support pro level apps from companies that need to turn a profit.

No doubt Ableton is taking note -- and I think Note is an offering that let them dip their toe in the market and get some sense of it -- but focused at this time in being an extension to their desktop app. But it gives them a foothold.

I don't think Apple entering the market is about the short-term. It is looking down the road as mobile and desktop distinctions become less significant. Only time will tell.

• My theory remains that Logic Pro for iPad is intended at least in part to motivate other app makers to ship "pro" level apps for iPad. That said, Logic Pro for iPad is not a desktop replacement, it is clearly intended as a companion to desktop Logic. Maybe that will develop over time, but we have not exactly entered the age of full-scale desktop DAWs on iPad just yet.

• @mjm1138 said:
    That said, Logic Pro for iPad is not a desktop replacement, it is clearly intended as a companion to desktop Logic.

Would you say that Logic Pro can still function standalone on the iPad? The way I think about companion apps suggests that you need the main app to use them.

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@mjm1138 said:
    That said, Logic Pro for iPad is not a desktop replacement, it is clearly intended as a companion to desktop Logic.

Would you say that Logic Pro can still function standalone on the iPad? The way I think about companion apps suggests that you need the main app to use them.

From what I've seen, one could absolutely use iPad Logic Pro on its own. I used GarageBand on iOS for a solid year (with no desktop computer) and managed to remain very productive, so it's just a matter of how one uses the available tools.

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    Will Ableton take note, or are they making enough money hand over fist from their desktop business?

Ableton gave Note actually.

• Can definitely function standalone…there’s definitely a learning curve to it though. The tutorial economy should have a good run

• @Tarekith said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

Ableton gave Note actually.

Ha ha, dang dude, I laughed out loud

• edited May 2023

There are studios with hundreds of pieces of gear. People walking around with iPads with hundreds of apps. The market is plenty big enough. By midnight, many will be searching for the next thing.

• edited May 2023

@johnfromberkeley said:

@mjm1138 said:

Yes, for sure, from what I’ve seen you could build a workflow around iPad Logic exclusively. I should clarify; what I mean is that iPad Logic is not a full replacement for Mac Logic for an existing user of Mac Logic, owing to the limitations around multi sampler and Alchemy and some other functional gaps. Maybe iPad Logic will evolve into a truly full-featured DAW that can replace Mac Logic, and I hope it does. But today, I think Apple pretty clearly envisions a typical use case where the user has both and bounces between them. That’s probably what I’ll do, as I have plugins I really like on each platform that are not currently available on the other.

• Apple would like someone to own an iPhone, an iPad and a Mac and soon some iGoggles. So perhaps Logic Pro for iPad will always be a little bit limited.
    I think with other (big) audio developers, the app store restrictions plus the 30% commission keeps them weary of the platform. They often have their own stores and marketing structures.

• @mjm1138 said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@mjm1138 said:

Yes, for sure, from what I’ve seen you could build a workflow around iPad Logic exclusively. I should clarify; what I mean is that iPad Logic is not a full replacement for Mac Logic for an existing user of Mac Logic, owing to the limitations around multi sampler and Alchemy and some other functional gaps. Maybe iPad Logic will evolve into a truly full-featured DAW that can replace Mac Logic, and I hope it does. But today, I think Apple pretty clearly envisions a typical use case where the user has both and bounces between them. That’s probably what I’ll do, as I have plugins I really like on each platform that are not currently available on the other.

I agree if you are a desktop LP user , I am too. Desktop user ne er use more than 70 % of what is able to do Logic X on a Mac .

For IPad user only it is a full Daw that you can use without having a Mac. I think even to resale one day my MacBook Air M1 with the licence of LP x to buy a top Pro iPad.

I use only from time to time my MacBook and only for LP the only software I use , do I need it anymore ? I wait of course new IPad coming but as an hobbyist it is now silly to have a MacBook just to run Logic Pro.

If you are a performer on stage or a producer you still need to have MacBook and IPads are just part now of your music workflow.

• @NeuM said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@mjm1138 said:

From what I've seen, one could absolutely use iPad Logic Pro on its own. I used GarageBand on iOS for a solid year (with no desktop computer) and managed to remain very productive, so it's just a matter of how one uses the available tools.

Of course can iPad stand up alone to make great music, great recording, great mixing and bussing…

Have said it before, but, The Beatles made great music with just six microphones and a four-channel recorder…

People saying that it must be desktop app making pro things, they are wrong…

• They’ve entered the market with Note. I’m almost certain that’s not the end of it. Ableton will probably have its hands full with making standalone Push completely ableton-feature-compatible for a while (and with m4l the possibilities are mindboggling, an everything machine).
    But I suspect that Max’s hyper-portable rnbo tech is behind all of this, and I think that portability may well extend to ios.
    I don’t see a full Ableton on ipad, but certainly something meatier than Play, for iPad.

But make no mistake. Logic for ipad is a loss-leader. A market builder. The lack of an intuitive, useful DAW for ipad has severely hampered the platform.
    Logic does not mean that the heat is on for ipad. It means that the seeds have been sown, that the market that revolves around this forum may well grow considerably in the next 2-3 years.