Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Trying to get support for Jam with Jordan annoying issue

I've been using Jam with Jordan quite a bit recently, and I'm getting frustrated with a couple things that appear to be bugs. One of them is that I'm unable to save a new preset. If I open a preset, make some changes, and then attempt to save it under a new name, it won't accept characters except at the very end, or let me delete the existing ones, so I'm pretty much locked into whatever is built in.

There are a couple other weird problems, but they are less significant, and I can get around them by restarting the app.

I'm running it on the latest iPadOS version 16.4.1 on an 11.25 iPad M1 model.

I've sent emails to [email protected] and [email protected] and it's been over a week and have not heard back. Any recommendations on how to get some help?

Thanks

Comments

• maybe we can ping @AnalogMatthew

• Thanks! While I'm not the lead dev on that app (I provided the sound design), it feels like something I might be able to fix. Will try to take a crack at it this week.

• @AnalogMatthew Thanks so much. I appreciate any assistance, and please let me know if any further information is needed - I have screenshots of it.

• Been having this issue as well and also emailed a couple weeks ago and never heard back. Hope it will get fixed as I really do enjoy this app.

• I forgot this app exists. ๐Ÿคฃ Now that I know its name, I remember creating fodder to be flipped in a Lofi beat. ๐Ÿ˜‚

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    I forgot this app exists.

You and everyone else! It only sells about 2 or 3 copies a week.

Thanks to the few of you that do use it!

• @AnalogMatthew said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

๐Ÿ˜‚ Mate I'm sorry to hear it lol.

Thanks to the few of you that do use it!

• @AnalogMatthew said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

You might not want to answer this, which is fine, but as a developer how many copies a week would make an app "successful" in your eyes? 10, 50, 100?

I think a lot of us have a false idea of how many apps a developer sells. You read about the mega success stories like Angry Birds but I am guessing the iOS music app market is very, very small - and now has a ton of competing apps in it with more & more desktop programs being ported across (at high prices) as well. Tough times to be an iOS music app dev.

• I remember an episode of @MobileMusicPro โ€˜s podcast that @analog_matt was on where he revealed that for an app to be #1 in the US App Store it only needs 100 downloads in 24 hours.

Really puts things into perspective.

• @TheGarageBandGuide said:
    I remember an episode of @MobileMusicPro โ€˜s podcast that @analog_matt was on where he revealed that for an app to be #1 in the US App Store it only needs 100 downloads in 24 hours.

Is that any type of app or just a music app? 100 seems like a tiny number.

Surely some of our popular devs like Bram, FAC, and 4 Pockets would get 100 sales on their app's 1st release day - do they get to the number 1 position?

• @Simon said:

@TheGarageBandGuide said:
    I remember an episode of @MobileMusicPro โ€˜s podcast that @analog_matt was on where he revealed that for an app to be #1 in the US App Store it only needs 100 downloads in 24 hours.

Is that any type of app or just a music app? 100 seems like a tiny number.

Surely some of our popular devs like Bram, FAC, and 4 Pockets would get 100 sales on their app's 1st release day - do they get to the number 1 position?

Itโ€™s relative to other apps in the category.

Yes, it is a tiny number. It has been mentioned quite often on AB forum how small the market is and how low the income is for music app developers.

• edited May 2023

Re: Realities of Money & Music App Development?

Just to give y'all a bit of context, Bram is what I would call a "superstar developer" and may be launching more chart-topping apps these days than big establishments (Moog, Korg, Eventide, you name 'em). And guess what? He still works a day job. THE dude who's probably been minting more #1 paid music apps than anyone else in recent years, still clocks in 9 to 5.

Bigger companies often count apps as a marketing expense. If Behringer's ripping off your gear, wouldn't it be smarter to create rad, cheap apps to boost your brand than giving money to those terrible social media companies for ads? You're gonna be spending money either way. At least some companies are creating some killer apps along the way.

Indie Devs put in crazy hours, pour their heart and soul, and sweat out the nitty-gritty details to craft these apps. The life's much like that of a pro musician - lots of burning the midnight oil and potentially no one even tuning in to your creation. The handful of us indie music devs still kickin' around, we do it for the love of making instruments and the thrill of empowering our fellow music-makers.

Also, if Uli B is reading this, please don't sue me. As you can see โ€“ I'm a music app developer and therefore have no money. ๐Ÿ˜…

• @AnalogMatthew said:
    Indie Devs put in crazy hours, pour their heart and soul, and sweat out the nitty-gritty details to craft these apps. The life's much like that of a pro musician - lots of burning the midnight oil and potentially no one even tuning in to your creation. The handful of us indie music devs still kickin' around, we do it for the love of making instruments and the thrill of empowering our fellow music-makers.

I guess that is why we see so many apps that launch and then don't get many feature updates but have regular "sound pack" releases - something to bring in some extra cash.

• edited May 2023

@Simon said:
    I guess that is why we see so many apps that launch and then don't get many feature updates but have regular "sound pack" releases - something to bring in some extra cash.

Oh, I do have an answer for this!

There's a revelation that might surprise non devs - cramming your app with new features doesn't necessarily equate to a surge in sales or ratings. In fact, it's usually the opposite. The more new features, the more your app's ratings take a nose dive. Adding sound packs is a safe way to improve an app without risking new features.

It's an oddity, I know, particularly to those who are new to the app dev game. But there's a real, somewhat paradoxical trend where the more features developers integrate into their apps, the more likely the ratings are to take a dip in the app store. Now, I won't delve into the detailed rationale behind this trend in this particular discussion, that's a subject for another time.

Additionally, the more features devs stack up, the higher the chance your app might crash and burn, or worse, end up as a misfit or orphaned with future iOS versions. Pretty gnarly, huh?

So, moving along, I'll work on Jam with Jordan this week. And expect a new "Sound Pack" from Brice Beasley tomorrow from us for King of FM โ€“ย No charge or extra cash involved. ๐Ÿ˜

• @AnalogMatthew said:

@Simon said:

There's a revelation that might surprise non devs - cramming your app with new features doesn't necessarily equate to a surge in sales or ratings. In fact, it's usually the opposite. The more new features, the more your app's ratings take a nose dive. Adding sound packs is a safe way to improve an app without risking new features.

It's an oddity, I know, particularly to those who are new to the app dev game. But there's a real, somewhat paradoxical trend where the more features developers integrate into their apps, the more likely the ratings are to take a dip in the app store. Now, I won't delve into the detailed rationale behind this trend in this particular discussion, that's a subject for another time.

Additionally, the more features devs stack up, the higher the chance your app might crash and burn, or worse, end up as a misfit or orphaned with future iOS versions. Pretty gnarly, huh?

So, moving along, I'll work on Jam with Jordan this week. And expect a new "Sound Pack" from Brice Beasley tomorrow from us for King of FM โ€“ย No charge or extra cash involved. ๐Ÿ˜

Thanks for being so open about this. Very interesting. And definitely sounds like itโ€™s gotta be a labor of love more than anything else. Thankful for you and some of the others devs that take the time to post and respond/engage here. Looking forward to the JwJ update, itโ€™s really a great app.

• @AnalogMatthew said:

@Simon said:

I donโ€™t use your app but thanks to carryon to fix bugs and be a so great guy

• It's great to see this thread getting some love, and generating conversation. I've had a lot of great experiences with Audiokit based apps and I really like how AudioKit Pro operates. It definitely feels like a bunch of people who are interested in making fun and useful apps and providing development tools for a community of like minded people. Some of my favorite and most used apps are from independent developers, and those are usually the people that come up with the most creative and innovative stuff.

• edited May 2023

Thanks Everyone, I took a crack at the issue. Looks like Apple has approved my fix!
    Please let me know if that helps?

Jam with Jordan v1.0.2

• @AnalogMatthew - Thanks so much. It works for me. Hope the same for others.
    AB Forum members - thanks for your help getting me in touch with Matthew. You guys rock.

I'm going to take a stab at a YouTube video showing the app in action - it's a great place to get some ideas going or just mess around when you've only got a few minutes and want to get straight into it.