Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apple simulator? No particular reason..

edited May 2023 in Desktop

Does anyone here have any experience with running any Apple programs on their Windows laptops? Just wondering for no particular reason I promise. Specifically I’ve got a brand new ThinkPad with Window 11 just sitting here looking at me. What Apple simulators might you recommend if you ever did such?

Comments

• edited May 2023

I had MacOS 10.9 running under Win7 and Win10 a few years ago as a virtual machine and it worked quite well.
    Since owning a Mac, I haven't used it anymore though.
    Running the VM under VMWare Player required a hack because the host blocked running MacOS by default. Must be some kind of agreement between VMware and Apple.

• I’m shooting for Logic Pro X. Any simulators that can make that happen on Windows 11?

• More trouble than it's worth IMO.

Hacks and workarounds needed to get macOS running at all in an emulator such as VMWare Player or VirtualBox. Plus you have to scour the net for an illegal download of MacOS if you don't already own a Mac. Legalities aside (as you'll still be in violation of the license agreement even if you have a legal copy anyway), you have to go to some places I don't think I'd trust to get versions of macOS that won't be completely up to date.

And when you're done, you'll still be running in an emulator, with the associated performance hit.

It's simply not worth it.

• @wim said:
    More trouble than it's worth IMO.

Hacks and workarounds needed to get macOS running at all in an emulator such as VMWare Player or VirtualBox. Plus you have to scour the net for an illegal download of MacOS if you don't already own a Mac. Legalities aside (as you'll still be in violation of the license agreement even if you have a legal copy anyway), you have to go to some places I don't think I'd trust to get versions of macOS that won't be completely up to date.

And when you're done, you'll still be running in an emulator, with the associated performance hit.

Pretty much echoes my experience. Plus I’ll add you will always find some weird behavior here and there with MacOS running in an emulator, ranging from small issues to certain apps and functions just not working at all.

• @NoiseHorse said:
    Does anyone here have any experience with running any Apple programs on their Windows laptops? Just wondering for no particular reason I promise. Specifically I’ve got a brand new ThinkPad with Window 11 just sitting here looking at me. What Apple simulators might you recommend if you ever did such?

Depending on the laptop, you might not need an emulator and just run it natively. MacOS DOES run on intel after all.....

https://www.tonymacx86.com/

(i cant say my experience running, updating, and maintaining was fun nor worth it....not when m1 airs can be found used so cheaply)

• @michael_m said:

@wim said:
    More trouble than it's worth IMO.

Pretty much echoes my experience. Plus I’ll add you will always find some weird behavior here and there with MacOS running in an emulator, ranging from small issues to certain apps and functions just not working at all.

My experience too. I wouldn't say it can't work if you have a beefy machine with a fast processor, enough cores and RAM but looking at the prices for older second-hand Macbooks, it's most likely not worth the time messing with it.
    I might try running an older Logic version one day though, out of curiosity 😄