Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What’s the big deal with Logic Pro for “traditional” DAW users?

edited May 2023 in Logic Pro

I know it hasn’t been released yet, but let’s assume it’s exactly what you would get on a Mac. I’ve never used Logic and am what would be considered a basic DAW user. I’ve only used a midi piano role to try out ideas on the fly when I don’t have an instrument in hand. I only ever produce works of recorded audio using physical instruments. I don’t make beats and don’t use samples. I seem to have been able to find third-party AU plugins to do everything I need, like reverb, amp modeling, mastering, etc.

What does Logic offer me that I can’t get with existing iOS DAWs and AUs?

I’ll make some assumptions.

• better audio editing
  • more flexible routing/mixer
  • better quality stock plugins
  • Better stability, hopefully

Anything else? Are there any features that would help with transcribing and arranging, for example?

I don’t know what I don’t know.

Comments

• Flex Time and Flex Pitch may be valuable if you only record audio tracks. The built-in effects are comprehensive and very high-quality, including a large quantity of stomp-box effects, and an okay supply of modeled guitar and bass amps and cabinets.

Aside from that they promise easy mobility of projects between desktop and iPad Logic, and the iPad app includes note input methods that may appeal to you (virtual fretboards etc). Notation is included with the desktop product, but it is unknown whether iPad Logic includes notation, and there is some doubt on that account.

Your listed assumptions are correct (can't speak to stability obviously, but I'm hopeful there).

• @mjm1138 said:
    Flex Time and Flex Pitch may be valuable if you only record audio tracks.

Don't forget that it can also be used to time-stretch and re-pitch and re-quantize any loop you import into Logic.
    Those features are also used in the Quick Sampler so you can pitch a sound up & down without altering the speed.

Once you get used to them you can't live without them :sunglasses:

• It is a DAW with all bells and whistles. The core may be a bit old, but many things work very well. For me its scoring - for the analog band guys, and better audio editing, more flexible routing/... and stuff. I like the whole iPad experience better than desktop.

• @mjm1138 said:
    Flex Time and Flex Pitch may be valuable if you only record audio tracks. The built-in effects are comprehensive and very high-quality, including a large quantity of stomp-box effects, and an okay supply of modeled guitar and bass amps and cabinets.

I’ve always been wary of anything that auto-corrects my timing or pitch. One of my greatest fears as a musician is sounding “fake” or “clinical”. If the Flex Time is actually flexible enough to use in surgical chosen spots and can avoid sterilization, I’ll use it. My timing is far from perfect.

I’m very satisfied with THU-Overloud and Toneboosters Reverb. Anyone care to comment if Logic can do better?

Aside from that they promise easy mobility of projects between desktop and iPad Logic, and the iPad app includes note input methods that may appeal to you (virtual fretboards etc). Notation is included with the desktop product, but it is unknown whether iPad Logic includes notation, and there is some doubt on that account.

I don’t have a Mac (nor a PC) so mobility isn’t a factor. I’m interested in notation though

• @Doc_T said:
    It is a DAW with all bells and whistles. The core may be a bit old, but many things work very well. For me its scoring - for the analog band guys, and better audio editing, more flexible routing/... and stuff. I like the whole iPad experience better than desktop.

According to Peter Kirn scoring is not included:

“What is noticeably absent is Logic’s notation feature; there appears to be no scoring, at least in the initial build. I doubt so many people will miss that, though, given the ample supply of other scoring apps for the platform. (This would be the first Logic without notation since before 1988’s Emagic Notator, as trivia.)”

https://cdm.link/2023/05/logic-pro-final-cut-pro-coming-to-the-ipad/

• Can I record MPE midi file in LP?

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

• @Montreal_Music said:
    Can I record MPE midi file in LP?

Presumably. We still don’t know enough.

• You’ll like get tens of GB of high quality samples and loops as well.

• @NeuM said:

@Montreal_Music said:
    Can I record MPE midi file in LP?

Presumably. We still don’t know enough.

Is it possible in LP for desktop?

• @R_2 said:

According to Peter Kirn scoring is not included:

“What is noticeably absent is Logic’s notation feature; there appears to be no scoring, at least in the initial build. I doubt so many people will miss that, though, given the ample supply of other scoring apps for the platform. (This would be the first Logic without notation since before 1988’s Emagic Notator, as trivia.)”

https://cdm.link/2023/05/logic-pro-final-cut-pro-coming-to-the-ipad/

Oh dear, that was the main thing I was hoping would be in there. I am not too surprised they left it out though. Ah well, I will still give the trial a run, but I won’t be deleting MTS! Good find @R_2 .