Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is is possible to granulize Live Audio

The chase: Use the built in mic of the iPad, pump "ambient" sounds into a granular synth app. 'granulate' the sounds, turn off and on the iPad mic as needed and call it a day?

Yes, I could record audio and then load it into an app like Fluss. Or just plug a mic in. Trying to find a way where you can bypass those steps and get right into piping in live audio and immediately get to work.

Or is this just not possible or am I missing something out there (tried testing and looking for) that can do this.

Comments

• Spacecraft let’s you process incoming audio, not sure if it works with internal microphone though

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/spacecraft-granular-synth/id1391256308

• edited May 2023

As long as you wear headphones to stop feedback, there are few apps you could use.

FRMS, Fluss, spacecraft, Bleass granulizer are the ones that pop to mind

@The Krazy Wabbit said:
    The chase: Use the built in mic of the iPad, pump "ambient" sounds into a granular synth app. 'granulate' the sounds, turn off and on the iPad mic as needed and call it a day?

Yes, I could record audio and then load it into an app like Fluss. Or just plug a mic in. Trying to find a way where you can bypass those steps and get right into piping in live audio and immediately get to work.

Or is this just not possible or am I missing something out there (tried testing and looking for) that can do this.

• Are you asking about using standalone apps?
    If hosted as a FX, you could route the internal mic to the granulizer in most situations.

Have a peep at Bleass Granulizer. It works with the mic in standalone and the mic can be switched on/off.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bleass-granulizer-auv3-plugin/id1540299083

• Thank you. I’ll look into these suggestions and keep testing.

• @FordTimeLord said:
    Spacecraft let’s you process incoming audio, not sure if it works with internal microphone though

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/spacecraft-granular-synth/id1391256308

iPulsaret too: https://apps.apple.com/app/id565880268

• edited May 2023

Borderlands also processes live audio. That and Spacecraft are my two favorites so far, and I have all the apps mentioned above. That said, I am not a huge fan of granular synthesis.

Another fun trick is to put the granulizer in the feedback loop of a delay.

• edited May 2023

Well that’s exactly why I asked if and which control is exposed with the FRMS Granular synth. I would like to use it within Loopy Pro to process input and clips/reels. A lot of FRMS is exposed but I could not find the parameter that allows me to “freeze” the audio.

EDIT: To be clear, I wanted to control FRMS with some knobs from Loopy so without seeing the GUI of the FRMS Granular synth. I could find all the parameters I want except for the freeze function.

• edited May 2023

https://apps.apple.com/sk/app/spectrum-synthesizer-bundle/id1467384251

here is plugin "Granular" which is basically Mutable Instruments Clouds.. works as AUv3 FX

clouds is available also in miRack under name "Texture Synthetizer" - just put miRack FX on track you want to granulize nd connect this simple patch ..

• @Gavinski said:
    As long as you wear headphones to stop feedback, there are few apps you could use.

FRMS, Fluss, spacecraft, Bleass granulizer are the ones that pop to mind

@The Krazy Wabbit said:

@Gavinski said:

Headphones was the trick. Thanks!

• @dendy said:

here is plugin "Granular" which is basically Mutable Instruments Clouds.. works as AUv3 FX

clouds is available also in miRack under name "Texture Synthetizer" - just put miRack FX on track you want to granulize nd connect this simple patch ..

I was thinking about that one too, I tried the version from the spectrum bundle without satisfying succes. Perhaps the miRack version could fulfill my needs.

• edited May 2023

@Bietfriek said:

@dendy said:

I was thinking about that one too, I tried the version from the spectrum bundle without satisfying succes. Perhaps the miRack version could fulfill my needs.

The key with these Clouds modules is to feed them a lot of modulation. Otherwise you just get a haze. This is why granular lacks appeal for me--it's just a degraded version of the original sound. But by modulating the parameters, you get a lot more interesting variation out of it.

With Borderlands and Spacecraft (and Fluss and others), you add interest with fingers, sequencing, and recorded touchscreen moves. Clouds requires some CV sent in to get the same interest.

• Haven’t seen Soundfruuze mentioned yet but unless I’m misunderstanding your use its made exactly for this and is very fun.

• UA silo!

• edited May 2023

Well, miRack and the Audible Instruments Clouds version do work with a MIDI CC IN module and sending CC’s from Loopy. The result though is different from FRMS Granular (could know that, had a clouds in my Eurorack period). Unfiltered Audio’s Silo I do not own, but I will have a look at its possibilities.

My goal is to create a performance screen with Loopy Pro that is inspired by the old electronic tape studio’s. As input/source apps miRack, Drambo, auGEN x, Fundamental, Thermos, Hilda etc. Those inputs I want to treat with several punch in/out effects, record, play with speed/parameters add effects again, repeat. All in one screen without all the GUI’s in sight. I would like to implement a granular engine that allows me to freeze a part of the sound and manually scroll through it. In the base I’ve got everything working but until now missing the granular option because then I have to open the GUI and do it from there. With that said there isn’t a real problem B)

• edited May 2023

@Bietfriek said:
    Well, miRack and the Audible Instruments Clouds version do work with a MIDI CC IN module and sending CC’s from Loopy. The result though is different from FRMS Granular (could know that, had a clouds in my Eurorack period). Unfiltered Audio’s Silo I do not own, but I will have a look at its possibilities.

My goal is to create a performance screen with Loopy Pro that is inspired by the old electronic tape studio’s. As input/source apps miRack, Drambo, auGEN x, Fundamental, Thermos, Hilda etc. Those inputs I want to treat with several punch in/out effects, record, play with speed/parameters add effects again, repeat. All in one screen without all the GUI’s in sight. I would like to implement a granular engine that allows me to freeze a part of the sound and manually scroll through it. In the base I’ve got everything working but until now missing the granular option because then I have to open the GUI and do it from there. With that said there isn’t a real problem B)

I mentioned it earlier but Soundfruuze is made for this. It has 5 lanes with options to freeze or scroll or use touch and a few different granular options as well. It’s AU and I believe it’s on sale right now. Or it was. But you will have to open the GUI to the app to do this.

• The spectrum is great once you get into it, I’ve done whole tracks just that and a single looping sample or my guitar plugged in…

• @Bietfriek said:
    Well that’s exactly why I asked if and which control is exposed with the FRMS Granular synth. I would like to use it within Loopy Pro to process input and clips/reels. A lot of FRMS is exposed but I could not find the parameter that allows me to “freeze” the audio.

Not sure if you noticed this already or if it addresses your issue(?) but In FRMS, when you are using the round record button for capturing input, the further left rectangled text button for waveform toggles between waveform and input, waveform amounts to a sort of freezing just not a hit freeze and grab a buffer, but in the samplewiz sampling style of a longer sample captured, but a type of freezing as its not the buffer, its set, same as how spacecraft is not the buffer but a start and end style sample capture.

• Like this?

• edited May 2023

@brambos said:
    Like this?

exactly. @Gavinski tip of using the headphone was what I needed. I already have a pair of AirPods. Plugged those in and the feedback is gone. I can now, without needing to plug anything else in, have this as a template and on the go, granulize live sounds.

I've never been a big user of the iPhone but knowing Fluss is available on the iPhone, BOOM. Ultimate portable granulized. Even toss some Hilda spice on it for a little fun.

• Putting into a video format of what I was trying to do and how it turned out. It's not the only option I am sure. Yet I am happy with the option!