Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Gadget rumor: In-App Purchases in v1.0.3 (Santa Clara codename)

Someone over at the Korg forums posted on August 22th that the current Korg Gadget (v1.0.2) App Store description shows that there are available in-app purchases (screenshot in spanish). That forum thread seems to have been deleted yesterday.

Does anyone knows for sure if IAP availability has been showing for Korg Gadget previously?

Or is it part of the upcoming v1.0.3 update to be released (hopefully) this month?
http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/5107/korg-gadget-update-in-august/p1

Comments

• edited August 2014

IAP hasn't been part of it previously. But this is really nice if true, it would mean that there are most likely new gadgets/stuff to purchase in the next version.

Edit: Misread. I've never seen the IAP thing before, but not 100% sure.

Edit again: Actually, I just checked and it do indeed say "Offers in-app Purchases" under the name (on the US AppStore using iPad). Weird. But I hope it's in preparation for the new version :)

• edited August 2014

Pretty sure it wasn't showing previously, but it's showing now (US Store). I noticed it yesterday I think (or maybe earlier toady???), and thought the rumored update was here, but when I checked the app details there was no section for IAPs or any update. Is it a sign the update is close? I hope so.

• edited August 2014

@1P18 said:

Pretty sure it wasn't showing previously, but it's showing now (US Store). I noticed it yesterday I think (or maybe earlier toady???), and thought the rumored update was here, but when I checked the app details there was no section for IAPs or any update. Is it a sign the update is close? I hope so.

They stated august as the target month for the next update (on some Japanese mail notification or twitter perhaps), so looks like it's close!

• Yeah, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're funding further development by asking us to pay for new gadgets. The original price was pretty hefty for an iOS app, but not much in the grand scheme of things considering what you get. I'd be happy to pay for a sampler gadget or audio tracks, for instance.

• Also showing IAP notice in the Danish store.

Some will probably complain about IAP, but I agree, Gadget is such great value and I'd rather pay a bit more for new stuff to ensure continued development.

People are getting spoiled by the low app store pricing, just think what we would have paid just a few years ago to have this stuff on our desktop computers.

Let's hope it means the update is near :-)

• Agreed. We are getting spoiled on the AppStore. Just think of what you need to pay today to get the same stuff on the desktop (not just talking Korg here:)

• I thought it would have free updates since the app itself isn't cheap but I don't mind paying and I'm sure it'll be worth the price.

• I welcome IAPs too if that means a viable business model for Korg and guarantees further development. Let's face it, Korg is not precisely an indie developer (I have the highest respect for indie developers), their structural costs are many times higher. What I wouldn't want to see is Korg stopping its development because they can't justify the investment.

• I'm fine with this assuming the price is reasonable; in the long run paying a bit extra for further support is better than having a dead app.

• IAP are better than doing the Moog thing. Is there a chance Gadget will become universal?

• @Gaz was saying that he heard something about a Korg Gadget update.
    I wouldn't mind for it to pop out today.

I reaaaaly wish for a sampler. A proper sampler. Because they got everything else right.

• edited August 2014

From my usual caustic (no pun) point of view I do not think we're going to get our dream sampler within gadget. All of the gadgets so far have been somewhat restricted and it will be the same for the sampler. If we get it (doubt it) it is going to be a sample player with the usual effect module, maybe a repeater of sorts. If we're extra lucky we'll get start and end point setting but absolutely forget about an audio editor. I'm expecting something with London's engine but sample import via file sharing. Also I doubt very much they'll give us midi learn for the pads. Sorry to be a fucking pessimist but Korg's history on IOS has been like this so far and can't see it being any different in this case. I'm more than happy with the IAP's but really hope they wheel out something properly useful.

• Basic is fine too... At least I can copy a loop from iMPC or whatever... and trigger it in the sequencer.

• I'd rather they implemented a super solid midi clock so it can be used with all of the existing apps we know and love. This would take gadget to another level.

• edited August 2014

@supadom said:

From my usual caustic (no pun) point of view I do not think we're going to get our dream sampler within gadget. All of the gadgets so far have been somewhat restricted and it will be the same for the sampler. If we get it (doubt it) it is going to be a sample player with the usual effect module, maybe a repeater of sorts. If we're extra lucky we'll get start and end point setting but absolutely forget about an audio editor. I'm expecting something with London's engine but sample import via file sharing. Also I doubt very much they'll give us midi learn for the pads. Sorry to be a fucking pessimist but Korg's history on IOS has been like this so far and can't see it being any different in this case. I'm more than happy with the IAP's but really hope they wheel out something properly useful.

Yeah, I actually agree with this. And not in a way that is negative towards Gadget in any sense - that just isn't consistent with how the app has been designed thus far. It's a very closed ecosystem. The content with in the app is masterfully implemented and there is plenty of customization available to tweak their presets or make your own. But - so far, at least - it has not been an app that favors importing external content into Gadget for use in that ecosystem. It's also the one advantage that Caustic still has over Gadget - the open-source nature of the app and freedom to bring different content and file types into the app. Maybe that will change in Gadget, who knows.

I'm not much into sampling, and as much as people complain about iMPC Pro's flaws and the general lack of a good sampler on iOS, I don't personally need any more than what I have. An audio track (for recording guitars or any type of external hardware through AB/IAA Output) would be massively useful to me, and would basically turn Gadget into a bit of a pseudo "DAW" that I would actually use to create tracks. However, that would also be fully inconsistent with their M.O. thus far. Crap, even a SoundFont player would do wonders to expand Gadget's versatility, but I don't see that happening.

If not a sampler or audio track, I guess my one wish list item would be another drum/percussion item. There is really only the one drum machine plus a second one for synth drums, and both sound great, but are limited and EDM-focused (along with the rest of the app).

• Kong is spread way too thin IMO. There are lots of apps of great apps by Korg that deserve updates ahead of this one. Guess it's a cash cow for them right now, though, so that means the other apps will collect more dust and fall further out of my workflow. It's too bad. iKaoscilator, ims-20, iPoly...all could use attention. But it's pretty clear that's not on the roadmap.

• edited August 2014

From the iTunes description:

"There's a roadmap for future updates that will add new gadgets and support audio tracks"

My guess:

1. A handful of new gadgets as IAPs, including a sampler.
    2. Audio track with AudioBus and InterApp Audio support, possibly as an IAP gadget as well.
    3. More send/return effect options, just because it would make sense and seems like it would be relatively easy. I see this also possibly as an IAP gadget (I mean at some point development costs money).
    4. Landscape mode, for free! :)

My hope:

1. The ability to trigger clips by themselves, rather than just entire scenes, all while being able to record your performance. iKaossilator already lets you do this, so I don't think it's too far fetched.
    2. A gadget, or gadgets, that can act as a midi controller for other gadgets. Why? The in app keyboard is less than ideal. Would be cool to make use of the full screen, or at least a larger part of it, for inputting notes. This one is a longshot though, and I would be surprised to see it.

Realistically, based on that quote from the description, I simply expect them add a few gadgets and then to also open things up a bit and become more integrated with other apps and iOS.

• I like some of those suggestions, @1P18. I really don't have an objection to new machines being IAP's. Anybody who owns the app made the decision that whatever price they paid for it was worth the content already on-board. If they are doing the work to add additional content (as opposed to fixing what is already there), it's fair to give me the option to decide if a sampler or a new synth is something I want/need. And Korg's stuff has been pretty high quality.

You mentioned the keyboard - that is somewhat of an issue. When I bought the app, I didn't have a CoreMIDI controller of any kind, and was kind of stunned that they expected people to use that to play notes. Of course, I primarily got the app to use with the piano roll, kind of as its own MIDI controller. But that's no excuse for a keyboard that isn't even up to par with other iOS synths. I like what it does with the notes set to a particular scale, but the octave buttons are way too small and the keys are weirdly placed (and small).

• I hope they add an IAA gadget so we can use any IAA capable synth inside gadget. That would be truly usefull as I really like gadgets workflow and there are so many cool iOS synths out there (Thor just got IAA as an example).

• @Peter321 said:

I hope they add an IAA gadget so we can use any IAA capable synth inside gadget. That would be truly usefull as I really like gadgets workflow and there are so many cool iOS synths out there (Thor just got IAA as an example).

IAA sound imports are actually one feature I like about iMPC Pro, so it would be welcome in Gadget. But Gadget already supports AudioBus, so your suggestion sounds pretty close to just having an Audio Track gadget or feature that would be recorded into using either AudioBus or IAA.

Gadget doesn't even allow for sample import through ACP, such as drum .wavs. I think they'd tell you that their content is so deeply integrated into their interface that it would be hard to just allow you to prop a .wav file in there and have all the controls work. Still, I want it.

• I hope it's not a IAP for landscape! That would be extremely tacky. (But I might still pay it, or get mad and delete it!) I think IAA would hurt sales of future Gadets. But I hope they do it.

• Times like these require a robust dream state and my dream is of a Kronos Gadget complete with onboard sampler/ Hey it's my dream and I can make it as big as I like...

• Lol - I like your thinking!

• Hi all I have Gadget and really love the app. The ability to make high quality tracks is pretty amazing. Of course, mixing and finalizing a track is a challenge as there is no multitrack export. So yes, we can use the mastering plug and then shoot the mix up to their cloud for an even playing ground in terms of comparing our songs to someone else's. That is nice.

Do you think Korg will allow for multitrack export in the update? I think at that point this application will be taken even more seriously as I believe tracks will be released if they can simply be mixed and mastered. The sounds are fantastic. Or does Korg want to discourage that? I am not sure there.

For those of you that do export track by track and mix - what is the process? Do you have to rename every file each time? And what does it export out at - 16 bit? It just seems like a major PITA the way it is set up now. Not sure why Korg would do this, but I think it is the same way with the iElectribe.

• I saw that in korg gadget appstore since the release of version 1.0 Maybe was a mistake

• IAPs on Gadget? Korg won't be getting another dime from me on iOS unless they include improved midi control and landscape mode in Gadget...maybe not a big deal for all, but those two things are workflow killers for me. It is a great app, but I never use it for these reasons. Midi is kind of a must for any app I'm going to seriously use so it can integrate with the rest of my studio, and as I use 99% of all my other apps in landscape, portrait just feels clunky.

I also thought part of the reason for the higher cost with this app was that future modules would be included with no IAP. I'm sure I read that, but maybe I imagined it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • +1 for landscape and proper midi

• How about a way to save and share projects.
    I'm absolutely stunned that Korg left something so bleeding obvious out.
    How the hell do you collaborate ?

Stupid.

• @GhostsOnWater said:

How about a way to save and share projects.
    I'm absolutely stunned that Korg left something so bleeding obvious out.
    How the hell do you collaborate ?

Stupid.

Problem i see here is when audio tracks and a sampler are added.Imagine how big the files could be if you share them.