Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Logic Pro for iPad payment pol

I know I know.. another LP thread. I know I know another talk for/against the subscription plan.
But still. I believe that Apple might also do market research online. And what is a better place to check for iPad music making than this forum?!
I see that some people here voice there opinion about the pricing model.

I’d like to know how many exactly are in support of the subscription plan and how many would prefer a pay upfront system. Thats why I created this thread with a poll.

The subscription plan as we know it starts at 5€/$/£ per month.
Lets say the pay upfront price would be like on desktop n around 200€/$/£

Interested to see the result.

Preferred Logic Pro for iPad payment method
  1. Which payment method do yin prefer?160 votes
    1. Subscription plan
      35.00%
    2. Pay upfront
      65.00%

Comments

• It is too late not very useful pool to my opinion. Destop user as me paid 200 usd for buying LP and it seems , it sure , that LP 11 desktops will turn to sub only. LP 11 is not yet released and no clue when .

• I got my Logic Pro back on August 11th 2013. Think I paid $199 or so for it...
    ...this rounds up nicely to around $19.99 per year so far...

Over the years I've gotten a bunch of new hardware to run it on and kept my systems up-to-date...
    ...don't have an M1/M2 Mac and have no real plans to get one yet either...

Hoping macOS14 will still support Intel CPUs. More details on this will drop at WWDC'23.
    No one knows when Logic 11 drops as the next update is 10.7.8 for compatibility with the iPad version.

I don't mind the $4.99 per month if it truly delivers and that is to be decided during the 30 day trial.
    Until then we know nada...

I would NOT pay $200 up front for a potentially buggy iPad app, that's one thing that is very clear!

• I'm just disappointed that the full title of this thread didn't turn out to be "Logic Pro for iPad payment police"

• @FastGhost said:
    I'm just disappointed that the full title of this thread didn't turn out to be "Logic Pro for iPad payment police"

😂😂😂😂😂

• I mean look, both sides had good arguments . Samu is right: buying a $200 iPad app that doesn’t work would suck

On the other hand it’s going to be their flagship app, moreso than anything else now, so apple could offer it to current desktop owners for perhaps a $100 upgrade? I would pay $100 on the off chance Logic Pro is a failure

And Those who didn’t purchase it before may 2023 don’t have the option, they have to subscribe

But it’s about 60/40 for buying it so far so I hope they offer the option if you like it

• edited May 2023

@fearandloathing said:
    On the other hand it’s going to be their flagship app, moreso than anything else now,

Depends on how you look at it don’t forget. For filmmakers out there the release of Final Cut Pro iPad will be seen as far more significant.

• @fearandloathing said:
    I mean look, both sides had good arguments . **Samu is right: buying a $200 iPad app that doesn’t work would suck **

On the other hand it’s going to be their flagship app, moreso than anything else now, so apple could offer it to current desktop owners for perhaps a $100 upgrade? I would pay $100 on the off chance Logic Pro is a failure

And Those who didn’t purchase it before may 2023 don’t have the option, they have to subscribe

But it’s about 60/40 for buying it so far so I hope they offer the option if you like it

Ha! Guys, you doesn’t now the quality of Apples developers - nothing will go wrong here - Apple will be releasing a perfect running version of Logic Pro 11.0 that will surprise many many disbelievers out in the music business…

The same goes for the amount of features the iPad version will have - why call it Logic Pro when it’s Garageband deluxe?
    There’s alot of prestige here, so, Apple will definitely give us an PRO software version of Logic…

• I was playing Devil advocate
    This will be what we were waiting for since getting iPad

• @ErrkaPetti said:

Ha! Guys, you doesn’t now the quality of Apples developers - nothing will go wrong here - Apple will be releasing a perfect running version of Logic Pro 11.0 that will surprise many many disbelievers out in the music business…

I do hope so because there's still a LOT of bugs left in Logic on the Mac...
    ...I mean I can easily and repeatably make the 'Smart Controls' crash Logic in an instant.
    (Don't worry I've sent all the crash reports back to Apple).

I'm also quite confident that I can make the iPad Logic crash within a week of the 30 day trial, if not I've failed myself :sunglasses:

Apple is not 'Magic' even though some seem to think so...

• Option to offer both payment methods is missing in the poll. It is offered by some companies.

• Just added in another post £529 for me to buy Ableton. 10 years of Logic for that. The argument on upgrading hardwear doesn’t apply as I used to be hardwear only and it used to need continuous maintenance and upgrading via that route as well. I was really wobbling on my determination to stay iPad only. Apple you better NOT let me down in this one. For now I’m all chips in….

• You’ve also missed the ‘Couldn’t give a s!@t and have lost the will to live’ option off 😊

• @GeoTony said:
    You’ve also missed the ‘Couldn’t give a s!@t and have lost the will to live’ option off 😊

😂😂😂. Great northern humour!!

• @ErrkaPetti said:

The same goes for the amount of features the iPad version will have - why call it Logic Pro when it’s Garageband deluxe?
    There’s alot of prestige here, so, Apple will definitely give us an PRO software version of Logic…

Yeah as I dig into the previews it’s looking more and more stunningly good than my initial impression

Also rumors of certain Audio enhancements in iPadOS 17 could take care of some pesky issues related to audio I/O selection.

• I noticed no option for "offer both one time payment and subscription options". 🤣

Well I know this is controversial, but I chose "subscription". For someone like me who doesn't earn too much from production currently, I can't see myself shelling out 200 quid, even if a one time payment. I can't justify the annual subscription despite the fact it's more affordable. In the short run, I do believe the monthly sub will suit me just fine as it fits comfortably within my budget.

• edited May 2023

47 votes is not much representative sample of wider user base but still i am pretty suprised it's just slightly more for "pay upfront" - expected it will be much more .. like 80% for upfront payment ..

maybe it was not that bad choice from apple at all, in long term (few years) they will definitely earn much more from subscriptions than from direct payment, so even if subscription users base will be slightly smaller than would be base of upfront payers, it is still worth for them ..

• C) Make it free
    D) make trump pay for it

Get a life people.

• @dendy said:
    47 votes is not much representative sample of wider user base but still i am pretty suprised it's just slightly more for "pay upfront" - expected it will be much more .. like 80% for upfront payment ..

maybe it was not that bad choice from apple at all, in long term (few years) they will definitely earn much more from subscriptions than from direct payment, so even if subscription users base will be slightly smaller than would be base of upfront payers, it is still worth for them ..

I actually went for subscription in the end based on 3 facts - we don't know enough about it, I'm unsure whether I will be bothered to learn it, or whether even if I do I'll really like the workflow enough to switch from aum.

• Or ‘My iPad can’t run this, and I’m not ready to buy another’

@GeoTony said:
    You’ve also missed the ‘Couldn’t give a s!@t and have lost the will to live’ option off 😊

• @Gavinski said:

@dendy said:

I actually went for subscription in the end based on 3 facts - we don't know enough about it, I'm unsure whether I will be bothered to learn it, or whether even if I do I'll really like the workflow enough to switch from aum.

I'll put it like this mate. From what I gathered, if you like Garageband, you'll love Logic Pro. According to @NeuM it's an easy transition. I'm finally getting along with Garageband after all these years. My first test...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3dx1xhkumiusjm/garageband first attempt.m4a?dl=0

If Garageband is even a fraction of what Logic Pro is like, and the fact that Apple said we can seamlessly open iOS Garageband files in Logic Pro on iPad, I think I finally found the DAW that's perfect for me. Ymmv.

Garageband's advantage is I can begin an idea in it on my iPhone, it automatically syncs to iCloud, and I can open on iPad to further the idea, and then open again on iPhone to further the idea...you get the idea. 😂🤣

That said, nothing tops AUM for live jamming, especially of the experimental nature as I'm inclined to do. So Logic Pro will NOT replace AUM for live Ambient jams.

• @israelite said:
    C) Make it free
    D) make trump pay for it

Get a life people.

Have you ever heard of "don't like it, don't look at it"? No need for such negativity.

• edited May 2023

5.00 a month? I drop that much change on stupid stuff to be entirely honest. I’m not scared of that price…and definitely don’t think 50 a year is too much. Cubase costs around 50.00 regularly and each update in number versions is a new app. So it’s literally almost the same. Iaps are literally adding costs too. LPX in my main studio costs me 200 bucks almost 10 years ago or something…everything was free since? I can’t complain in good conscience. Soon we will all own nothing and be happy remember ;)

I think if you want your app to grow, and become better and better…somebody has to pay for the developers. This is why subs are becoming the thing. I just won’t pay 20 a month for a single plug in…. It’s not worth it.

The loopy pro subscription is my favorite model if I had to pick. Because to get updates you subscribe, if you are happy where you are it’s yours to keep at that level. Perfect sub model to me

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

I shouldn't vote. Not going to get Logic Pro either way.

But if I was going to get it, despite being adamantly anti-subscription, I would do it for Logic Pro. Logic Pro is a monolithic app that covers a ton of territory, rather than an EQ or synth where subscription would pile up all over the place.

This would be an economical alternative for me because I don't believe I'd use Logic Pro often. I'd pony up the $5 for a month if I felt like doing at least $5 worth of something in it - kinda like renting a movie. The rest of the months it would cost me nothing. I'd probably spend no more than $25 per year.

• @Samu said:
    I got my Logic Pro back on August 11th 2013. Think I paid $199 or so for it...

Over the years I've gotten a bunch of new hardware to run it on and kept my systems up-to-date...

Hoping macOS14 will still support Intel CPUs. More details on this will drop at WWDC'23.
    No one knows when Logic 11 drops as the next update is 10.7.8 for compatibility with the iPad version.

I don't mind the $4.99 per month if it truly delivers and that is to be decided during the 30 day trial.

I would NOT pay $200 up front for a potentially buggy iPad app, that's one thing that is very clear!

@Samu said:

@Samu said:

I think MacOS 14 will still support (some) Intel Macs. Why? There’s still no Apple Silicon Mac Pro. Only the Intel Mac Pro. Heck, you can even buy the pricey Intel Mac Pro at Apple. We have to wait until WWDC to hear more, and although it’s likely Apple will push more and more to Apple Silicon Macs, it’s unlikely that they already ditch all current supported Ventura Macs.

• Once I get my new iPad, I will test for 1 (free) month and if I like what I see, I'll be pre-paying for the year.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Gavinski said:

@dendy said:

I'll put it like this mate. From what I gathered, if you like Garageband, you'll love Logic Pro. According to @NeuM it's an easy transition. I'm finally getting along with Garageband after all these years. My first test...

If Garageband is even a fraction of what Logic Pro is like, and the fact that Apple said we can seamlessly open iOS Garageband files in Logic Pro on iPad, I think I finally found the DAW that's perfect for me. Ymmv.

Garageband's advantage is I can begin an idea in it on my iPhone, it automatically syncs to iCloud, and I can open on iPad to further the idea, and then open again on iPhone to further the idea...you get the idea. 😂🤣

That said, nothing tops AUM for live jamming, especially of the experimental nature as I'm inclined to do. So Logic Pro will NOT replace AUM for live Ambient jams.

You're right. Neither GarageBand, nor Logic Pro are meant to replace AUM, which is a real "live" musician's tool. And as of today, Apple has no announcements regarding MainStage coming to iOS. So I think AUM has a safe niche for now. ;)

• Love the title of this thread. Did you know that Pol is Tobey's girlfriend?

• @NeuM said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Gavinski said:

@dendy said:

You're right. Neither GarageBand, nor Logic Pro are meant to replace AUM, which is a real "live" musician's tool. And as of today, Apple has no announcements regarding MainStage coming to iOS. So I think AUM has a safe niche for now. ;)

Well even if MainStage did come to iOS, I think I will stick with AUM as my main live performance environment. It's insanely wonderful and flexible for what it does. :) (Strange off-topic question, but where has @iOSTRAKON been these days? I hope he's well. He's one of the reasons that after I began producing live Ambient in Koala a year ago, I then switched over to AUM when I remembered his awesome Youtube videos.)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Well even if MainStage did come to iOS, I think I will stick with AUM as my main live performance environment. It's insanely wonderful and flexible for what it does. :) (Strange off-topic question, but where has @iOSTRAKON been these days? I hope he's well. He's one of the reasons that after I began producing live Ambient in Koala a year ago, I then switched over to AUM when I remembered his awesome Youtube videos.)

AUM is absolutely fantastic live jamming/live performance app, i would say is way much better than mainstage, it's the kind of app about which may desktop users just dream.. Even through i do not use it much apart of beta testing of plugins (for live jam i have my elektron boxes), i VERY MUCH admire it's greatness.. literally masterpiece.