Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Great take on subscriptions and Apple pricing model by Jakob

Comments

• @Svetlovska said:
    I hate subs, I fear for the future of the platform as a result of this move.

Jakob is right on two counts: app prices must rise, and the Loopy Pro model is the only one which I (grudgingly) must accept is fair to both customer and dev.

But whenever has Apple played fair, or cared what customers thought? No headphone port, no personal backup for the stuff you bought, no fair upgrade plan, no guarantee your expensive third party hardware will survive the next OS ‘upgrade’ ? It’s Apple’s way or the highway, always has been, always will be.

The great pioneering days of music app development carving out new weird sound territories on the iPad are drawing to a close. Prepare for the mainstream railroad to arrive. There’s a reason why the word ‘railroaded’ exists. Buckle up, it’s going to be a bumpy ride.

I think you’re right, there’ll hopefully be some innovation within that mainstream space but those crazy heady days of ioptigans and hexaglyphs will be buried under piles of mastering and MIDI packs. Pro just isn’t as fun generally…

I’m gonna check my iPad 3 is full of the good stuff today and make sure I keep the battery flexing…

• @espiegel123 said:

@cyberheater said:

@dendy said:

@cyberheater said:
    Just checking. Is this another Logic Pro thread?

A sort of 😂 But really, worth to watch becsuse Jakob is taling about wider aspect of current iOS stage in terms of pricing of apps …

Yep. He makes some great points. I'd be happy to pay £50 for the app and then an additional fee for upgrades. I don't suppose they are going to do it although there has been a lot of back lash about subscriptions.

But would you pay $200 of $300 to own it?

I paid 200 to license it on my Mac, it if is a complete full version for the iPad I would pay 200 to license it to my iPad permanently. Perhaps pay for upgrades if I feel they warrant it or not if I choose so.

My biggest issues are monthly licensing fees being sold to the public as a subscription and if it is accepted it will become status quo. You will end up paying monthly rent for all your apps that you use on your 1000 dollar plus iPad. Once they make a profit on the app, that means all the programming, development, marketing cost them nothing, it has been paid for by you and they will continue to profit from you.

If this extortion and racketeering tactic woks for Apple, the FCP and LP will have monthly license fees for their desktops soon enough and it won’t stop there, this is the goal of every corporation- a way to get people to pay monthly for the rest of their lives.

Trust me you will have your monthly rent, monthly power, monthly internet, monthly water, monthly entertainment streaming, monthly phone, monthly software license fees, monthly food subscription, WAIT, YOU ARE 80% there, monthly App license fees, monthly car service, or public transit card, monthly clothing and laundry subscriptions.

The banks and corporations do not want you to OWN ANYTHING! If you own so thing you have finished paying for it and the profit is capped.

The average adult (18) lives to about 72 give or take, that is 648 months as an adult. Corporations and banks want to make money from you. Why sell you something 1 time when they can sell you the same damn thing 648 times! Then their marketing makes you happy to do it. I did the math and so did they, a long time ago please wake up sheeple

• @dendy said:
    This speaks from my soul. I SUBSCRIBE to everything @jakoB_haQ said here. Like a lot !

100% agreed.
    Main topics: concern for indie devs, iOS app prices are too low…
    We can’t expect devs to work on Sundays and sell a 5€ app, only to be shouted at because of this and that. It’s quite amusing how no one seems to find 5€ a month expensive yet plenty wait for the 6€ app to drop to 3€ on Black Friday. Or are upset when v2 comes out and they need to pay an extra 4€.
    I’m really interested in what the “iOS gurus” like Loopy Michael, Bram Bros, Igor, etc have to say about this. What their expectations are. For example Loopy update comes out, maybe people are holding on to their wallet because Logic is coming. And here we go with 200 Logic threads on a forum paid and supported by a guy who’s income might be affected by this.

• To me, a software subscription is kind of a psychological thing. I hate to pay for something I don’t own and if I stop paying I loose access to my creative workspace immediately. I prefer to pay €100 for the full app rather than pay €5 a month for a subscription. I don’t say I never will, but the feeling goes completely against my nature. For example, I still have an old Mac running Photoshop CS5, and it works perfectly, paid for the full version of PS in the 90ties and upgraded every 2 years all the way up to CS5. I can work with it every day, whenever I want to, for as long as my Mac keeps running. Would I have gone the Photoshop subscription route I would never been able to do that.

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

Am I the only one bewildered by people's fascination with speculating about this stuff? I mean whatever happens is going to happen. It'll be visible as it develops and people will adjust or bail out. I'm not saying people shouldn't indulge in this stuff, I'm just saying I sooo don't get it. 😂

I've had my fun trying to toss out a few laughs, but I have nothing constructive to say, and certainly nothing useful to learn. I'll just go bye-bye from all the Logic Pro threads now. Y'all have fun now y'hear?

• @TurnItUp said:
    Software subscription is on par with a gym membership. You pay to use the facility and leave feeling better about yourself. The money exchanged goes into maintaining the facility, equipment, and to pay the employees. I view the subscription to Logic Pro the same way. I am paying to use Apple’s program. Apple can maintain and upgrade the program, and pay their employees. I leave with my musical creations.

Some people don't like gym memberships. Noone is forcing those people to join a gym. They can still find exercise for free elsewhere. Nobody complains in front of Gold’s Gym or Planet Fitness about being afforded the opportunity to own the gym they pay a membership too.

Exactly…

Although I can’t understand that so many members here on Audiobus forum is negative to subscription to Logic Pro for iPad?

As an example, I subscribe to the music service Tidal HiFi, and I pay $20 per month for that - I can play lossless music from all the world and from 12 decades (1910-2023), BUT, when the month is over I haven’t anything left, just memories of the music I’ve played…

The same goes for everything you subscribe at, when the month is over, it’s nothing left…

Summarize, I haven’t something negative to say about paying 50 bucks a year to have the most advanced app ever on iPad. Period.

• This idea that all apps are going to go subscription, and the prices are just going to keep going up and up to ridiculous levels is.... Just ridiculous. It's not going to happen, it's a paranoid fever dream

• @ralis said:
    My biggest issues are monthly licensing fees being sold to the public as a subscription and if it is accepted it will become status quo. You will end up paying monthly rent for all your apps that you use on your 1000 dollar plus iPad.

LOL.

Not gonna happen.

• edited May 2023

@Gavinski said:

This idea that all apps are going to go subscription, and the prices are just going to keep going up and up to ridiculous levels is.... Just ridiculous. It's not going to happen, it's a paranoid fever dream

Agreed. Just look at Adobe. Their move to subscription hasn't inspired all other creative applications to follow. If anything, it has encouraged the non-subscription alternatives to up their game and become a real affordable alternative (e.g. Affinity, DaVinci, etc.).

• This argument is pathetic. How many of you pay for a gym membership again… no one?

• edited May 2023

@TurnItUp said:
    This argument is pathetic. How many of you pay for a gym membership again… no one?

Seeing as the average age of AudioBus Forum members is about 85 I'd say nobody has a gym membership... :smiley:

• @TurnItUp said:
    This argument is pathetic. How many of you pay for a gym membership again… no one?

gym membership is service.. paying subscription for service and paying subscription(==rent) for product (either app or some physical thing like car, house) is VERY different topic.

• It's not like all existing apps will automagically turn subscription overnight...
    ...I doubt that would even be a legal thing to do?! (It would at least require approval from the end-user).

What really puzzles me is all this blown out of proportion drama spread across multiple threads over $4.99 per month like WTF?

Personally that $4.99 per month would actually reduce my spendings on apps as I would not need to look for apps that 'fill in the gaps' based on what I already have with Logic on the Mac.

The bigger question I have is, how long will the existing apps we've already got be kept 'up to date' ?

I know at some point the desktop Logic and macOS will drop support for Intel CPUs...
    ...they are already on the 'lower end' when it comes to performance.

I will definitely do the 30 day trial and if things work even half as good as they look it'll be a total no-brainer to sub.

WWDC'23 will definitely be of interest and I suspect we'll finally see an option for real 'paid updates' instead of everyone trying to work-around the problem using various methods...

• @brambos said:
    @Gavinski said:

This idea that all apps are going to go subscription, and the prices are just going to keep going up and up to ridiculous levels is.... Just ridiculous. It's not going to happen, it's a paranoid fever dream

Agreed. Just look at Adobe. Their move to subscription hasn't inspired all other creative applications to follow. If anything, it has encouraged the non-subscription alternatives to up their game and become a real affordable alternative (e.g. Affinity, DaVinci, etc.).

Indeed!

• @TurnItUp said:

I have a feeling that avid AB Forum members are probably not big gym-goers. Call it a hunch 😂 but don't shoot me if you fall outside that Venn diagram - everybody gotta roll how they like to roll! 🤪

• I keep my gym membership same as my iPad... out of date

• @Simon said:
    Good vid by Jakob.

He says we need higher prices to keep devs afloat.

But he doesn't look at the other side of the coin: we have too many devs/apps for the size of the market.

I’m a big pedal nerd and I’m always astonished at the sheer number of new “boutique” pedal companies that seem to appear every year, all making seemingly the same product ($349 tube screamer/bluesbreaker/fuzz face/big muff variants), how do they possibly hope to succeed in a ludicrously saturated market?

• @ghost_forests said:
    I’m a big pedal nerd and I’m always astonished at the sheer number of new “boutique” pedal companies that seem to appear every year, all making seemingly the same product ($349 tube screamer/bluesbreaker/fuzz face/big muff variants), how do they possibly hope to succeed in a ludicrously saturated market?

Don't know much about pedals. Do they break and need replacement regularly?

• @ralis said:

@espiegel123 said:

@cyberheater said:

@dendy said:

@cyberheater said:
    Just checking. Is this another Logic Pro thread?

A sort of 😂 But really, worth to watch becsuse Jakob is taling about wider aspect of current iOS stage in terms of pricing of apps …

Yep. He makes some great points. I'd be happy to pay £50 for the app and then an additional fee for upgrades. I don't suppose they are going to do it although there has been a lot of back lash about subscriptions.

But would you pay $200 of $300 to own it?

I paid 200 to license it on my Mac, it if is a complete full version for the iPad I would pay 200 to license it to my iPad permanently. Perhaps pay for upgrades if I feel they warrant it or not if I choose so.

My biggest issues are monthly licensing fees being sold to the public as a subscription and if it is accepted it will become status quo. You will end up paying monthly rent for all your apps that you use on your 1000 dollar plus iPad. Once they make a profit on the app, that means all the programming, development, marketing cost them nothing, it has been paid for by you and they will continue to profit from you.

If this extortion and racketeering tactic woks for Apple, the FCP and LP will have monthly license fees for their desktops soon enough and it won’t stop there, this is the goal of every corporation- a way to get people to pay monthly for the rest of their lives.

Trust me you will have your monthly rent, monthly power, monthly internet, monthly water, monthly entertainment streaming, monthly phone, monthly software license fees, monthly food subscription, WAIT, YOU ARE 80% there, monthly App license fees, monthly car service, or public transit card, monthly clothing and laundry subscriptions.

Paying a tithe by another name, a practise as old as time!

• @Simon said:

@ghost_forests said:

Don't know much about pedals. Do they break and need replacement regularly?

Well the quality control on said “boutique” pedals often does leave a lot to be desired! 😜

• All pedals I bought over 2 decades are still work exactly the same way as on day one...
    The differences aren’t huge, but each has its own sound or approach. Though there is a lot of overlap, but it only enables brand loyalty in my experience.

• edited May 2023

@dendy said:

@NeuM said:

@Samu said:
    The Magazine analogy is kinda nuts. I had a lot of old magazines I subscribed to and bought stored in a good place and they deteriorated over time to a degree it was impossible to read them so the trashcan was the next stop for them.

But back then there ware no services available I could subscribe to in order to get access to the magazines content, even the copies kept in the libraries got bad due to excessive access by other readers...

Most software is more or less a 'time-limited service' due to various factors.

If anyone uses the magazine analogy, the magazines are not Logic Pro, the magazines are your own projects… which you get to keep. 😀

nope, it’s like having those magazines locked in boxes and when you stop paying subscription they took away keys from those boxes .. so yeah, you still a kinda “have” them, you just can’t read them 😂

That doesn't have to be the case. Some sub apps let you still load and export old projects, just not edit them.

• @TurnItUp said:
    My gym membership analogy is perfect.

I like the analogy AND your confidence.

• No your not the only one @wim 🤨

• Does anyone think that some of the lower priced iOS apps will now find a bigger audience now that the division between iPad and desktop is becoming blurred?

A couple more thoughts in no particular order:
    I buy way too many apps. It wasn’t a big deal before, but now that all the prices have risen, I’m starting to feel it. Good for devs, not so great for me. Time to exercise some restraint - not a bad thing at all. But also, would I have gotten into iOS if the prices had been higher?

I share some of the unease that some posters have expressed, i.e. that the “fun” period for iOS is over and things are getting buttoned up and corporate. There’s no putting that genie in the bottle, but limitations and circumstances often fuel or create particular music genres (big bands of the 40s change to smaller more manageable combos, decent musical instruments/production/existing commercial venues become too expensive/inaccessible and so punk and rap are born, etc.). I wonder if the limitations of iOS have likewise given rise to more experimental forms. So many people want professional tools, but maybe that’s not the most creative path. Just a thought. Sorry to hijack this Logic/subscription thread…

• @ALB said:
    Does anyone think that some of the lower priced iOS apps will now find a bigger audience now that the division between iPad and desktop is becoming blurred?

I buy way too many apps. It wasn’t a big deal before, but now that all the prices have risen, I’m starting to feel it. Good for devs, not so great for me. Time to exercise some restraint - not a bad thing at all. But also, would I have gotten into iOS if the prices had been higher?

I share some of the unease that some posters have expressed, i.e. that the “fun” period for iOS is over and things are getting buttoned up and corporate. There’s no putting that genie in the bottle, but limitations and circumstances often fuel or create particular music genres (big bands of the 40s change to smaller more manageable combos, decent musical instruments/production/existing commercial venues become too expensive/inaccessible and so punk and rap are born, etc.). I wonder if the limitations of iOS have likewise given rise to more experimental forms. So many people want professional tools, but maybe that’s not the most creative path. Just a thought. Sorry to hijack this Logic/subscription thread…

If Logic pad is the bees knees I think for a lot of people they will just pay 5$ a month, be happy and conclude that iOS music is amazingly cheap.

• @ALB said:
    Does anyone think that some of the lower priced iOS apps will now find a bigger audience now that the division between iPad and desktop is becoming blurred?

Right on. I'm very at home in aum, the lovely experimental playground that it is.

The limitations are what makes it, in many ways.

I will probably not take to logic pro, but I'm excited to see what changes it brings about. As I've said in a few of these threads now - god there are so damn many lol - I hope this new era will actually force ios devs to take advantage of the touchscreen in a way that very few have done in recent years.

Time will tell. I keep repeating this because I'm very keen that it should happen and I also think it's one of the only ways native ios devs can differentiate themselves.

• edited May 2023

@Gavinski said:

@ALB said:

Right on. I'm very at home in aum, the lovely experimental playground that it is.

The limitations are what makes it, in many ways.

I will probably not take to logic pro, but I'm excited to see what changes it brings about. As I've said in a few of these threads now - god there are so damn many lol - I hope this new era will actually force ios devs to take advantage of the touchscreen in a way that very few have done in recent years.

Time will tell. I keep repeating this because I'm very keen that it should happen and I also think it's one of the only ways native ios devs can differentiate themselves.

Do you have something specific in mind?
    Generally most of the requests I see here are about trying to mimic certain desktop workflow, or get exact desktop features.

• I’ve often wondered - what happens if you subscribe to an app - then switch off Wi-Fi permanently? Will it still vanish when the subscription date arrives?