Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mela Synth (All Numbers) Mega Thread

Comments

• tjatja
    edited May 2023

@BerlinFx said:
    A solution should be to have the option to have a choice between 2 or 3 GUI colors and texture as with some apps. For an update I don’t know if it is a big coding work do do that , you don’t need to change size just how it look like , is it possible ?

The 4 that already exist are not OK for you?

• I like the last version best.
    Called "Mela 2"

• @tja said:

@BerlinFx said:
    A solution should be to have the option to have a choice between 2 or 3 GUI colors and texture as with some apps. For an update I don’t know if it is a big coding work do do that , you don’t need to change size just how it look like , is it possible ?

The 4 that already exist are it OK for you?

The blue one at the end is far better and fine for me

• It only seems to use 4 colors or so.

Maybe at one time, we can get a setting for each of them from @Nikolozi

Then I would probably use white background, dark grey surroundings, blue numbers and light grey secondary elements ... or something similar. Less colorful, more clean.

• @dendy said:

@plenogard said:
    I think Mirack is a mess, too many colours, forms and designs and I like the rack approach as in Ableton. On the other side it could use a little bit of structure/hierarchy, maybe with subtle colour differences pr lane and also by type, as you write above (Midi, audio, modulator).

yes when you mix together modules from various authors it tends starting look like circus :))) .. but plugins from same author have usually visually pleasant unified look .. like Audible Instruments, Bogaudio, Impromptu for light color scheme, or Lindenberg, LifeFormModular, Geodesics for dark schemes - when you look at modules collections from those that on it's own is very nice,unified and even multiple modules on one line doesn't look like mess .. i was thinking something like that for Mela .. especially when you give some background texture (or at least color) to module which is different from whole viewport of plugin it gives to module feeling of "mass" , felling that module is something "physical" you can grab with fingers - not just few lines put together ..

So, from what I can gather, you want the skeuomorphic feel, where modules look like actual physical hardware modules?
    (As a side note, Mela doesn't work anything like how hardware modular setups work.)

@dendy said:

@HotStrange said:

odulation, please. This is a feature you can find in Madrona Labs Aalto.

Glad I’m not the only one that has trouble with Tera Pro. It’s an amazing sounding app and I’m glad I got it. But I usually get annoyed when making a synth from scratch. I probably just need to watch some videos on it though.

I am joining the party. Great sounding synth with a lots of modulation but UI again drags it down .. It's not completely bad, but simply i need fight with myself to use it where for exampe in BS i am constantly in the flow, i literally developed "muscle memory" after a very short period of using it

What's BS short for?

• @BerlinFx said:
    Me too I don’t feel right with the Mela GUI , even if it is a very good app this is mainly why I don’t bought it. If the price go on sale I will buy it just to support the dev but not to use it.

Are there any specifics that bother you, or is it just a general feeling?

• @tja said:
    It only seems to use 4 colors or so.

There are 5 colours. Background, Control Background, Control Foreground, Parameter Title and Parameter Value.

Maybe at one time, we can get a setting for each of them from @Nikolozi

After I shipped Mela 2.0 I was planning to let users set those colours in 2.x update. But soon I realised it wouldn't be a good UI to expose to everyone because it's hard to pick good colour sets, most of the combinations would make things look bad. It requires patience to tweak colours until something decent comes out. Most of the users wouldn't care for that. So, decided not to release the feature.

Then I would probably use white background, dark grey surroundings, blue numbers and light grey secondary elements ... or something similar. Less colorful, more clean.

I made one where it was whitish background and shades of grey... it had a paper-like look, I kind of liked it but didn't feel strongly about it and some people I showed didn't like it, so I decided not to add it as an option.

Having said that, if someone designs a nice colour set I'll add it as one of the options. I can expose the colour palette UI for it in beta builds and anyone who is interested can play with it to find a good colour set. But I will expose this UI in beta builds only just for finding good colour sets.

• @Nikolozi said:

@BerlinFx said:
    Me too I don’t feel right with the Mela GUI , even if it is a very good app this is mainly why I don’t bought it. If the price go on sale I will buy it just to support the dev but not to use it.

Just a general feeling when you use dark colors my eyes (not so young eyes) can’t see really the limitations between each modules. I try to explain but not easy.

• @BerlinFx said:

@Nikolozi said:

@BerlinFx said:

Just a general feeling when you use dark colors my eyes (not so young eyes) can’t see really the limitations between each modules. I try to explain but not easy.

Cool, yeah, I think having a bright colour theme as an option is a good idea. Just need to find a colour set I’m happy with.

• tjatja
    edited May 2023

@Nikolozi I understand.

But I don't understand, why this is a reason against offering it as an option - only those people who like it would use it anyways. And you don't need to remove your 4 templates.

I did not write nothing against them, but I totally understand people who don't like them ! I can only use one of them, and I still don't like it.

An option to set colors would be worth an IAP for me!

Your personal color preferences are ... very muddy to me. I need much more clear colors to be honest 😅

Offer it as an IAP !!!
    Gives you money, and only people who want this will buy it! 🤗

• edited May 2023

@Nikolozi said:
    So, from what I can gather, you want the skeuomorphic feel, where modules look like actual physical hardware modules?
    (As a side note, Mela doesn't work anything like how hardware modular setups work.)

not inevitably skeuomorohic .. but some background to modules to make it visually more different from rest of app background which is kust black .. now it’s just line border with same background inside like rest of app outside of modules .. background would give it a feel of it’s “some object” ..

look at drambo, it’s a bit similiar concept in some way (a lane of modules) and it makes big differende that modules do have coloured background

What's BS short for?

Butter Synth :-)

• edited May 2023

@Nikolozi

Also this one, lane header ..

this takes unnecessary too much space.. what i would do:

• make small horizonral stripe which whill mark top of lane
    • those settings i wouls put into this line, alignwd to left,like:

[lane name] [input] [output]

• this lane “top header” would be no scrollable, sceollable will be just modules bellow it
    • all modules aligned to left (not centered in middle like on that screenshot)

something like this (ignore mi mystake rhat i namer second select in lane heater "input" instead of "output)

also all elements inside module (knobs, display with waveform, etc) should have thin 1 or 2px border with same color like border of whole element - so they are better divided from background of whole module

notice that i also used darker color for module border - i think your variant is too bright and it attracts too much eyes ..

• edited May 2023

@tja said:
    @Nikolozi I understand.

But I don't understand, why this is a reason against offering it as an option - only those people who like it would use it anyways. And you don't need to remove your 4 templates.
    Offer it as an IAP !!!
    Gives you money, and only people who want this will buy it! 🤗

Yes, I wasn't going to remove existing colour sets. But would have added a custom setting where the user would create a new theme by selecting 5 colours.

I'm not so keen on adding this feature because every feature adds complexity to the software. And complexity has both upfront and recurring costs. In terms of development/design/testing time, support time and cost users pay for complexity (because it's another thing they don't use that makes a whole app a bit more complex). Features often have non-obvious costs too, like now I have to consider that if some user created a custom colour set a new feature I add may not look good or look confusing in that colour set. And I wouldn't even be able to test it. And you could argue it's on them, but they would email me complaining and now we are into the support cost land.

So, if I'm going to add something it should be something very useful. I don't think most users would want to sit around trying to find 5 matching colours in a colour picker UI. It's hard work. Adding IAP, that's a whole other dimension of complexity for a little gain.

I did not write nothing against them, but I totally understand people who don't like them ! I can only use one of them, and I still don't like it.

An option to set colors would be worth an IAP for me!

Your personal color preferences are ... very muddy to me. I need much more clear colors to be honest 😅

I think I made a great offer:
    1. I'll create a beta build where you can pick the 5 colours, using a colour picker UI, to make a theme. Can be multiple themes even.
    2. You'll give me the colour hexes.
    3. I'll check it out, maybe show it to a few other people, and see what everyone thinks.
    4. If it's good I'll ship it in a 4.x update.

Of course, I reserve the right not to ship it for whatever reason.

• @plenogard said:

@BerlinFx said:

Well, it was at 50% intro sale until yesterday/today? B)

I extended the sale until Sunday night as a few users were waiting for the bundle and then some realised that the bundle wasn't working out to be cheaper for them. So, I'm just giving people a little more time to decide.

• @dendy said:

not inevitably skeuomorohic .. but some background to modules to make it visually more different from rest of app background which is kust black .. now it’s just line border with same background inside like rest of app outside of modules .. background would give it a feel of it’s “some object” ..

This is a fair suggestion and it's kind of related to trying to make lanes distinct. I'll be looking into this.

@dendy said:
    Also this one, lane header ..

this takes unnecessary too much space.. what i would do:

• make small horizonral stripe which whill mark top of lane
    • those settings i wouls put into this line, alignwd to left,like:

[lane name] [input] [output]

• this lane “top header” would be no scrollable, sceollable will be just modules bellow it
    • all modules aligned to left (not centered in middle like on that screenshot)

Now, this is a great suggestion. I considered the lane headers as a kind of WIP / incomplete because I need to add lane naming, collapse-expanding, bypassing etc. So, your suggestion will naturally work well.

I just need to make sure that what we discussed previously all work well together, i.e. lane separation / hierarchical feel, module background and now the lane header change play along.

btw, the "top header" may still need to be scrollable when the user is using iPhone in portrait mode or when the plug-in window is not wide enough. Alternatively, it could become double-triple in height to fit all elements for those cases. Anyway, this is another detail that I can work out during experimenting.

I will create a Mela Feedback feature request for this and I'll link it here for reference.

also all elements inside module (knobs, display with waveform, etc) should have thin 1 or 2px border with same color like border of whole element - so they are better divided from background of whole module

I found borders around controls were adding too much brightness. Waveforms already brighten things a bit too much (might tweak that at some point). Duller borders might work but I'll have to see. It's always worth trying out ideas.

But I will add that you are using Mela 1 theme, which is somewhat extreme where the control background and the main background don't have much contrast. In other themes, contrast is more obvious.

notice that i also used darker color for module border - i think your variant is too bright and it attracts too much eyes ..

I'm happy to tweak this a bit. It's already slightly darker than the control foreground colour but probably could be made darker.

Thanks for the feedback.

• edited May 2023

I just need to make sure that what we discussed previously all work well together, i.e. lane separation / hierarchical feel, module background and now the lane header change play along.

yeah, it always needed to find right balance between multiple UI changes .. some may work great on it's own but not that well when mixed together

I found borders around controls were adding too much brightness.

just the dark borde.. like the border of whole module on my screenshot or even a tiny bit darker .. just to give feeling to the control elements then are contained "inside the module", that they are like "imprinted" into it and not just lay over it randomly ..

But I will add that you are using Mela 1 theme

Ok, color scheme is unimportant, i just grabbed first screenshot i saw in thread here :)) Also somebody mentioned it would be nice to be able to choose from multiple color schemes - that is pretty good ide and should be not that complicated to implement if you use SwiftUI .. definitely reconsider it, especially some bright scheme (with birght background, something like light grey) may be interesting when you use mela in sharp sunlight ..

Thanks for the feedback.

you are welcome ;) glad to help .. looking forward to your changes, it may be huge leap forward ;)

• I bought Mela4 to support a very nice dev guy and lern more on modular

• @BerlinFx said:
    I bought Mela4 to support a very nice dev guy and lern more on modular

Thank you for support 🧡

• @Nikolozi said:
    I will create a Mela Feedback feature request for this and I'll link it here for reference.

As promised here it is: https://mela-feedback.nikolozi.com/improvements/p/make-lane-headers-horizontal-and-place-them-above-lanes

Anyone, feel free to add comments to it or post here. Whatever is easier for you. I'll probably make this change part of the 4.2 update. I think the 4.1 update is getting too close to shipping time.

• @BerlinFx said:

Let know your thoughts. It’s possibly my favorite iOS synth right now.

• @HotStrange said:

@BerlinFx said:

Because of Logic ios I had no time to use it , it s a pity but too much apps coming at the same time for my little brain 😂

• @BerlinFx said:

@HotStrange said:

@BerlinFx said:

Because of Logic ios I had no time to use it , it s a pity but too much apps coming at the same time for my little brain 😂

I understand that lol and there’s more coming! How are you enjoying logic? I really like it a lot so far.

• @HotStrange said:

@BerlinFx said:

@HotStrange said:

@BerlinFx said:

I understand that lol and there’s more coming! How are you enjoying logic? I really like it a lot so far.

I feel better with Logic ios . I need to be very focus on learning it. Haven’t try yet AUv3 as I want to be focus first to stockplugins

• edited May 2023

@Nikolozi said:

@Nikolozi said:

As promised here it is: https://mela-feedback.nikolozi.com/improvements/p/make-lane-headers-horizontal-and-place-them-above-lanes

Anyone, feel free to add comments to it or post here. Whatever is easier for you. I'll probably make this change part of the 4.2 update. I think the 4.1 update is getting too close to shipping time.

Very glad if my comments will actually help you to make improvements ! 🤝

• @BerlinFx said:

@HotStrange said:

@BerlinFx said:

@HotStrange said:

@BerlinFx said:

I feel better with Logic ios . I need to be very focus on learning it. Haven’t try yet AUv3 as I want to be focus first to stockplugins

That’s what I’ve been doing. Sculpture and Retro Synth are my favorites but the ES2 poly synth is really great also. It seems to be similar to the DW8000 or something. And can’t forget the effects. All of the stock plugins are really cool actually.

• @Nikolozi said:

@BerlinFx said:

@Nikolozi said:

@BerlinFx said:

Cool, yeah, I think having a bright colour theme as an option is a good idea. Just need to find a colour set I’m happy with.

As far as color combinations go, check out any of the Toneboosters plug-ins. They have a lot of preset color combinations for users, both light and dark.

• @Nikolozi Please, please take the time to add preset import and export (or just iTunes file sharing and Files support) for NFM.
    I'm not a Mela user and NFM is just perfect for doing pure FM sound design.
    Been patiently waiting for quite some time now and I trust in you ;)
    Thanks!

• edited May 2023

@rs2000 said:
    @Nikolozi Please, please take the time to add preset import and export (or just iTunes file sharing and Files support) for NFM.
    Thanks!

As promised, I did look into this, but there's a major issue that prevents me from adding this feature. I explain this in comments here: https://mela-feedback.nikolozi.com/feature-requests/p/nfm-preset-importexportbackup

I'm happy to explain in more detail if not clear from the post on the site, but a super short version is that because the app was transferred from my old developer account to a new one, it somehow didn't transfer the ownership of the thing called a group container ID, which is a way of accessing shared files between the app and its AUv3 extension. And in the case of NFM, and all my other apps it's used for the app and AUv3 to have access to the directory on the user's device where presets are stored. What this means is, if I push an update NFM users may gain import/export functionality but all users will use their existing presets. So, I think for now it's best not to do an update. Maybe one day NFM stops working because of some iOS update and as part of that fix that I'll need to do, I'll include import/export functionality.

Update: So, the one day I mentioned earlier, might be today lol. I was just testing NFM inside Logic Pro for iPad and it seems state saving is broken. Are you a Logic user, can you reproduce it on the iPad? Could be Logic's fault, but could be an issue on the NFM side that needs resolving. One solution I can think of for you is to save all your presets in AUM, i.e. AUM will hold the NFM preset files. Then once I push the update you can "re-import" them from NFM, by opening them one by one and saving them inside NFM. This is a manual process, but better than losing the presets.
    And hopefully part of this fix I can add import/export. Keep in mind these are all theories in my head, I haven't tried to debug anything yet, so these are just ideas atm.

• edited May 2023

@Nikolozi said:

@rs2000 said:
    @Nikolozi Please, please take the time to add preset import and export (or just iTunes file sharing and Files support) for NFM.
    Thanks!

As promised, I did look into this, but there's a major issue that prevents me from adding this feature. I explain this in comments here: https://mela-feedback.nikolozi.com/feature-requests/p/nfm-preset-importexportbackup

I'm happy to explain in more detail if not clear from the post on the site, but a super short version is that because the app was transferred from my old developer account to a new one, it somehow didn't transfer the ownership of the thing called a group container ID, which is a way of accessing shared files between the app and its AUv3 extension. And in the case of NFM, and all my other apps it's used for the app and AUv3 to have access to the directory on the user's device where presets are stored. What this means is, if I push an update NFM users may gain import/export functionality but all users will use their existing presets. So, I think for now it's best not to do an update. Maybe one day NFM stops working because of some iOS update and as part of that fix that I'll need to do, I'll include import/export functionality.

Update: So, the one day I mentioned earlier, might be today lol. I was just testing NFM inside Logic Pro for iPad and it seems state saving is broken. Are you a Logic user, can you reproduce it on the iPad? Could be Logic's fault, but could be an issue on the NFM side that needs resolving. One solution I can think of for you is to save all your presets in AUM, i.e. AUM will hold the NFM preset files. Then once I push the update you can "re-import" them from NFM, by opening them one by one and saving them inside NFM. This is a manual process, but better than losing the presets.
    And hopefully part of this fix I can add import/export. Keep in mind these are all theories in my head, I haven't tried to debug anything yet, so these are just ideas atm.

Cool idea! And yes, I could live with that :)
    Thanks a lot!

Edit: I only have Logic on Mac, sorry.

• @rs2000 said:

@Nikolozi said:

@rs2000 said:
    Thanks!

Thanks a lot!

@rs2000 said:

@Nikolozi said:

@rs2000 said:
    Thanks!

Thanks a lot!

Sweet

Not to worry, others have confirmed this issue for me.