Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mela Synth (All Numbers) Mega Thread

Comments

• @tja said:

@Nikolozi said:
    Is that what you are seeing on the iPad? I just assumed it would give the download button to everyone. This is from the Brave browser for example. With "Download a Copy" you don't need to sign in with your Apple ID.

No, I only saw what I posted above.
    It asked to collaborate with you, based on my real name from my Apple ID / iTunes account.

Anyway, I'll host all preset downloads on GitHub instead.

That's fantastic, thanks 🤗

Again (and just like Dropbox), if you are already signed into your online account, that's the message you get.

• @tja said:

@Samu said:

@tja said:

@NeuM said:

@tja said:
    Great, @Samu
    I got it, thanks!!!

iCloud does not allow anonymous downloads, as it seems.

I am too security aware to leave my finger prints all over the internet 😅

If you just sign out of iCloud.com first, then you can download anonymously.

That's not easily possible, as you may know.
    This changes lots and lots of things on the iPad - contacts, favorites, Find my iPhone and whatever else.

Did you also try it with 'Private' mode?

No.

Will try!

In this case, I get the other view posted by @Nikolozi - and can download a copy.
    Not sure if that added me to some share list on iCloud.

• @NeuM said:

@tja said:

@Nikolozi said:
    Is that what you are seeing on the iPad? I just assumed it would give the download button to everyone. This is from the Brave browser for example. With "Download a Copy" you don't need to sign in with your Apple ID.

No, I only saw what I posted above.
    It asked to collaborate with you, based on my real name from my Apple ID / iTunes account.

Anyway, I'll host all preset downloads on GitHub instead.

That's fantastic, thanks 🤗

Again (and just like Dropbox), if you are already signed into your online account, that's the message you get.

As I wrote, no.
    I get the other message.
    Maybe because of my security extensions like 1Blocker and StopTheMadness.
    But I like that I get this warning very very much!!!

• @tja said:

Not sure if that added me to some share list on iCloud.

It doesn't it will just download it to the Downloads folder that you've got selected in the Safari settings

• Mela 4 makes a great audio effects processor for Hilda by the way.

• edited May 2023

@Jumpercollins said:

Mela 4 makes a great audio effects processor for Hilda by the way.

Cool

• @sevenape said:
    Oh jesus another synth! This looks cool too!! My wallet is crying

Oh, jesus another version of Mela!

• FPCFPC
    edited May 2023

@johnfromberkeley said:

@sevenape said:

I know right! They come at you thick n fast. Too fast for me - don't feel like I've had anywhere near enough use out of 3. Or 2 or 1.

Haven't watched the video yet but I'm getting modular, build it yourself Tera Pro / Drambo vibes from this. Not sure if that's what I really want from a synth... Off to watch video now.

Edit: yep impressive modular design. Good video from the Dev too. I'm just not sure if this is for me though.

• @FPC said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@sevenape said:

I know right! They come at you thick n fast. Too fast for me - don't feel like I've had anywhere near enough use out of 3. Or 2 or 1.

Haven't watched the video yet but I'm getting modular, build it yourself Tera Pro / Drambo vibes from this. Not sure if that's what I really want from a synth... Off to watch video now.

Edit: yep impressive modular design. Good video from the Dev too. I'm just not sure if this is for me though.

I wonder if the rapid releases are just a business strategy. If so, I would much rather have a Loopy Pro model, where improvements come to the same app.

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@FPC said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@sevenape said:

I wonder if the rapid releases are just a business strategy. If so, I would much rather have a Loopy Pro model, where improvements come to the same app.

This!

• So Mela 4 has no polyphony at the moment? Just a monophonic or paraphonic synth? 2/3 were some of my all time favorite synths on iOS so I’m definitely gonna be grabbing this one up.

• Ok so bundle in a few days I guess. I’ve got 1, 2, 3 and now a new one. Dang.

• edited May 2023

@Poppadocrock said:
    Ok so bundle in a few days I guess. I’ve got 1, 2, 3 and now a new one. Dang.

I’ve deleted the others but still have 3. I’m gonna keep it until the polyphony update drops for 4. I use Mela A LOT for pads so I’m waiting on that right now. Is there a list anywhere with the other new features this is offering?

• @Danny_Mammy said:
    Sorry to ask again is 4 a replacement to 3? when 4 has poly will it have everything 3 has?

Hey Danny,

Others have kind of answered your question. But I'll add a few more points. In short, it's not a drop-in replacement. It can't be because a lot of module DSP have been rewritten and improved. So, even if you route modules exactly the same way, Mela 4 will still sound somewhat different. If you have Mela 3 presets that you enjoy using continue to use them in Mela 3. If you are creating a new monosynth, audio effect or MIDI effect, then use Mela 4. It's much more capable. It has many more modules, modulation capabilities are much deeper, and you can create fully custom sound processors. The synth can now have MIDI modules, you have more types of modulators, LFOs go into the audio range etc.

One more thing, Mela 3 has a type of phase distortion oscillator also, which I haven't ported over to Mela 4 yet. Mostly because I want to do more interesting things with it. So that will happen also at some point. Having said that VA Oscillator (in Mela 4) has 13 waveform types some of which have adjustable shapes, so it's much more capable than Mela 3. Also, there's FM Operator for some FM action. And of course, many more modules to come in the future.

Hopefully, that answers your question. But happy to take more questions :)

• @NeuM said:
    I will note Mela 3 has been one of my most-used, favorite synths. Unmatched quality of sound for producing otherworldly, rumbling and screaming leads.

🧡

• @Nikolozi said:

@Danny_Mammy said:
    Sorry to ask again is 4 a replacement to 3? when 4 has poly will it have everything 3 has?

Hey Danny,

Others have kind of answered your question. But I'll add a few more points. In short, it's not a drop-in replacement. It can't be because a lot of module DSP have been rewritten and improved. So, even if you route modules exactly the same way, Mela 4 will still sound somewhat different. If you have Mela 3 presets that you enjoy using continue to use them in Mela 3. If you are creating a new monosynth, audio effect or MIDI effect, then use Mela 4. It's much more capable. It has many more modules, modulation capabilities are much deeper, and you can create fully custom sound processors. The synth can now have MIDI modules, you have more types of modulators, LFOs go into the audio range etc.

One more thing, Mela 3 has a type of phase distortion oscillator also, which I haven't ported over to Mela 4 yet. Mostly because I want to do more interesting things with it. So that will happen also at some point. Having said that VA Oscillator (in Mela 4) has 13 waveform types some of which have adjustable shapes, so it's much more capable than Mela 3. Also, there's FM Operator for some FM action. And of course, many more modules to come in the future.

Hopefully, that answers your question. But happy to take more questions :)

Thanks for clearing this up. So Mela 4 is a mono synth only? I’ll still be buying regardless just off the pedigree of passed appa. Mela 3 is my go-to synth app on iOS and the first one I recommend to anyone wanting a synth that just sounds good.

• @HotStrange said:

Thanks for clearing this up. So Mela 4 is a mono synth only? I’ll still be buying regardless just off the pedigree of passed appa. Mela 3 is my go-to synth app on iOS and the first one I recommend to anyone wanting a synth that just sounds good.

Yep, it's a monosynth for now. But of course, it's not just a synth, it also works as an audio effect and MIDI effect.

Polyphony will come later, the scope of the 4.0 release was getting too large and had to ship it sometime. So, the polyphony didn't make the cut but will be added in future updates.

• @HotStrange said:

@Poppadocrock said:

I’ve deleted the others but still have 3. I’m gonna keep it until the polyphony update drops for 4. I use Mela A LOT for pads so I’m waiting on that right now. Is there a list anywhere with the other new features this is offering?

Check out the blog for the full list of features: https://nikolozi.com/blog/mela-4
    Or on the changelog page: https://nikolozi.com/mela/changelog

• @Nikolozi said:

@HotStrange said:

Yep, it's a monosynth for now. But of course, it's not just a synth, it also works as an audio effect and MIDI effect.

Polyphony will come later, the scope of the 4.0 release was getting too large and had to ship it sometime. So, the polyphony didn't make the cut but will be added in future updates.

Thanks! I love Mela as a midi and audio effect. Such a powerhouse. Thanks for all the work you do 🙏 about to buy it now.

• edited May 2023

@johnfromberkeley said:
    I wonder if the rapid releases are just a business strategy.

At one point like other plug-in developers, I used to release separate apps/plug-ins (NS1, NFM, NPD, MIDI Sketch). But what I wasn't happy about is that when I was working on a new app I didn't have time to improve the existing apps. So, sometimes they would feel abandoned, especially during the times when I was doing full-time contract work for other companies.

So, I decided the best way to go forward was to fully focus on one product where I could put all my energy in, make it the best it can be and add all interesting synthesis, FX and MIDI composition features into it. And that's Mela. I use it to make music and I hope others find it useful too. Now I understand it may not be for everyone, which is cool. There are a lot of great apps/plug-ins out there. But to me, it's very important for the product to be constantly evolving and moving forward. And yes, I usually try to push out a Mela update every 4-8 weeks with many new features. This allows me to receive feedback from users and improve it constantly based on feedback.

If so, I would much rather have a Loopy Pro model, where improvements come to the same app.

I have my reasons why I prefer my approach, i.e. major update annually over say Loopy Pros. But I would like to hear why you prefer it to see if I can address your concern.

(And to be clear, both approaches are workarounds to the App Store not offering upgrade pricing).

• @HotStrange said:

@Nikolozi said:

@HotStrange said:

Thanks! I love Mela as a midi and audio effect. Such a powerhouse. Thanks for all the work you do 🙏 about to buy it now.

Thank you for your support 🧡

• @Poppadocrock said:

The bundle has been stuck in review for ages now. Also, the App Store didn't let me create the app bundle until Mela 4 was released. Otherwise, I would have tried to time the bundle and Mela 4 to be available at the same time.

Keep in mind, the app bundle doesn't necessarily work out to be cheaper than the intro price. It depends on how much you paid for Mela 3. Note, I have no control over how this works. It's how the App Store bundles work. Check out the Pricing section on my blog for the full explanation: https://www.nikolozi.com/blog/mela-4

• This has nothing really to do with the actual synth, but for some reason the yearly Mela update has become my guidepost for a year passing and they’re coming faster and faster.

• @oat_phipps said:
    This has nothing really to do with the actual synth, but for some reason the yearly Mela update has become my guidepost for a year passing and they’re coming faster and faster.

Haha right? I saw this thread and it blew my mind that it’s already here.

• Something I’ve wondered recently, especially with apps like this that has both MIDI and audio, is whether it’s difficult to include a VST version in the Mac package as Ableton in particular supports auv3 but not for MIDI… I love the cross platform stuff though, and while I’ve not tested this one it looks great so I’ll probably grab it soon…

• edited May 2023

Has nice sounds, basic oscillators and filters sounds good - unfortunately for me major problem is UI - looks like absolute mess to me. Main reason i will never use this synth. It's just looks like absolute chaos to me, sorry.

• @Nikolozi this looks really good, do you have any plans to add 'west cost' style modules? Wavefolder, LPG etc

• @oat_phipps said:
    This has nothing really to do with the actual synth, but for some reason the yearly Mela update has become my guidepost for a year passing and they’re coming faster and faster.

Haha yes, I can also relate to this.

• Just a quick additional comment regarding polyphony. It's still possible to "simulate" polyphony or not even try to simulate, but have each note sound different. For example, in the next bug fix update 4.0.1 which I will release soon, there will be a preset called "Infinite Composer". You just press a single key and it keeps generating an infinite arpeggiated sequence. Depending on the generated random key it's routed to one of 3 instrument lanes, they all use different synthesis methods to generate sounds. They can produce notes simultaneously. This preset was used to create the sound bed for the Mela 4 intro video. So, what I mean is that even without polyphony you can create a lot of interesting synth presets or even algorithmic composers.