Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Pianoteq 8 is now on the AppStore

https://apps.apple.com/app/pianoteq-8/id1642344241?l=en

Pianoteq is an award-winning virtual instrument that can simulate many instruments (Pianos, Electric Pianos, Harpsichords, Vibraphones, Guitar, Steeldrums and more) thanks to physical modelling. This means that Pianoteq is not playing recorded sounds, it is computing them by applying the equations of physics: it calculates how the strings vibrate, how the wood soundboard radiates the sound.

This is what makes Pianoteq superior to other virtual instruments, the instruments being physically modelled, Pianoteq can simulate the playability and complex behaviour of real acoustic instruments. Because there are no samples, the file size is just a tiny fraction of that required by other virtual instruments, making Pianoteq perfect for your iOS device

Authorised: many brands have officially authorised Pianoteq: Steinway, C.Bechstein, Petrof, Steingraeber, Grotrian, Blüthner, Hohner have all reviewed the faithfulness of Pianoteq

How to use:

• connect a MIDI device to vour iPad/iPhone
  • launch Pianoted
  • start plaving!
  • You can also use Pianoteq as a plugin in any Audio Unit host application, such as GarageBand, AUM, Cubasis, Camelot etc.

Please note: all instruments will run in demo mode (a few keys are disabled) until you purchase a Pianoteq STAGE license (unlocks two instruments), or link it to an existing user account (with a valid Pianoteq license) on our website.

Comments

• Cool, how much are each IAP?

• Pretty overwhelming selection! Would be curious which packs people prefer. Loving the vibraphone and harpsichords.

It’s a bit annoying that you can’t demo the Kivir Instruments and Bells which are given free to people with the Stage pack. Problem is that you actually have to select the 2 packs you want to own before you get this free pack - but what if the Harpsichord in this, for example, is good enough that I would be better off not wasting one of my choices on a paid harpsichord pack. I find this very strange.

The preset menu lists are quite horrible to navigate btw - wonder if no-one who was on the beta commented on this?

• Holy smoke that seems expensive. Unclear to me whether there's a baseline for a functional app, but I defer to those who need this.

• Yeah, not an urgent need for me. Similar to Swam stuff. I prefer synth sounds.

• edited May 2023

@auxmux said:
    Cool, how much are each IAP?

Well, you need to buy the stage license if you want to buy individual IAPs. So that costs 130 bucks right there, lol. As part of that you get 2 free instruments.

Individual instrument packs are 50 bucks.

If you want to start being able to tweak the physical modeling parameters, you need to upgrade to at least the ‘Stage’ license - another roughly 140 bucks right there.

A mentioned in the other thread, this whole set-up is good for people who are using desktop too, as you get access to the iOS versions free if you have the desktop version, and vice versa. But certainly many iOS-only musicians will find this pricing extremely prohibitive.

• You can hear the free packs that every ‘stage’ license holder gets access to here:

https://www.modartt.com/free_stuff

• As a Pianoteq desktop stage user, I am grateful that I don't have to re-purchase anything. Definitely expensive if one is just purchasing for the iOS ecosystem as the pricing is extremely high based on other offerings. However, it looks like they did a great job of porting the desktop version and the customization options are second to none. They do have sales frequently so if you're on the fence might be useful to sign up for their newsletter and wait for a sale.

• edited May 2023

Another way in is to purchase a PLAY license for desktop. That license key can be used to unlock the basic functionality of the iOS app. I'm still on Pianoteq v3 Play on desktop, but this was enough to unlock the app in demo mode for testing.

• edited May 2023

The pricing is very odd , not clear at first glance and far too much pricey for iOS music, it is my opinion.

The pricing is for a desktop producer , professional guy not for a hobby guy like me.

No need this app , I bought Pure Piano and it do the job for my music.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Holy smoke that seems expensive. Unclear to me whether there's a baseline for a functional app, but I defer to those who need this.

Their market is professional musicians. They probably view the iOS app as another platform for their core user base rather than as opening a large new market. It probably earns loyalty from their user base who might find it more convenient to bring an iPad to a gig than a laptop.

• @espiegel123 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Holy smoke that seems expensive. Unclear to me whether there's a baseline for a functional app, but I defer to those who need this.

Their market is professional musicians. They probably view the iOS app as another platform for their core user base rather than as opening a large new market. It probably earns loyalty from their user base who might find it more convenient to bring an iPad to a gig than a laptop.

Yeah for that crowd this could be a real eye opener, definitely an interesting experiment for the platform if nothing else…

• @espiegel123 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Exactly my thinking and that make sense

• This is really interesting. Feels like it could be a watershed moment, especially if the rumor that Logic is truly, finally coming to iOS.
    And just when I was pretty much moving to desktop as the primary focus of music making!

• heshes
    edited May 2023

@espiegel123 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

I don't really think main market for Modarrt is professional musicians, any more than it is for other desktop piano VST's. Pianoteq is cheaper than most other desktop piano VST's, and Modarrt has a wide desktop user base. Having iOS version as part of the desktop purchase makes their product even more desirable, gives them a big step up over all the other desktop piano VSTs. Only one other desktop VST has an iOS product, Ravenscroft, and the iOS version of Ravenscroft is sold separately and is a severely cut-down version. Pianoteq iOS is same as desktop versions, no changes.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    This is really interesting. Feels like it could be a watershed moment, especially if the rumor that Logic is truly, finally coming to iOS.
    And just when I was pretty much moving to desktop as the primary focus of music making!

Much as I hope for Logic, even the rumour posted earlier today said not before 2025... So don't hold your breath :)

I do think inevitably we will see more and more pro-level apps appear on iOS, so with patience we will eventually get there. Even as things stand it's pretty miraculous what can be achieved on an iPad, today.

• This is a big day, and I believe in the future of iOS music. Especially on the ipad. These instruments are very special and I can’t wait to make music with them. They’re as pro as they come.

• edited May 2023

@richardyot said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    This is really interesting. Feels like it could be a watershed moment, especially if the rumor that Logic is truly, finally coming to iOS.

Much as I hope for Logic, even the rumour posted earlier today said not before 2025... So don't hold your breath :)

I do think inevitably we will see more and more pro-level apps appear on iOS, so with patience we will eventually get there. Even as things stand it's pretty miraculous what can be achieved on an iPad, today.

On one post I stated look at OS changes for IPad to know if Logic Pro will come to iOS . OS is the key factor for Logic Pro into IPad and the GUI must be redesigned to fit IPad , not light GUI change but heavy redesign. The one stop is about product line segments sales / marketing not tech anymore. In 3 to 5 years perhaps Logic Pro on IPad. Not the same IPad that what you have actually.

• The fact that they have the exact same pricing and licensing setup for both desktop and iOS is pretty unprecedented! I do have a desktop license now, but I just used the demo for years before I finally purchased, so you can get by with just the demo mode for most informal usage and to get a feel for all the sounds.

I really like their Hand Pan instrument.... definitely don't miss that one...

• @sonosaurus said:
    The fact that they have the exact same pricing and licensing setup for both desktop and iOS is pretty unprecedented! I do have a desktop license now, but I just used the demo for years before I finally purchased, so you can get by with just the demo mode for most informal usage and to get a feel for all the sounds.

I really like their Hand Pan instrument.... definitely don't miss that one...

I like that - and the Tank drum!! The Hang in DrumJam is great btw, though would definitely be nice to have a modeled one with a full keyboard’s worth of range.

Does anyone know, by the way, if there are any felt pianos included among the free piano packs? All the paid packs contain felt versions but I don’t know about the free ones.

• The electric pianos and celeste sound really good too, wow.

• @richardyot said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

I have a feeling they'll announce logic when they debut the rumored 14 inch iPads, which may be coming in '24. Hope I'm wrong and logic pops up soon but back on topic the Pianoteq port is amazing.

• 🙏🙏🙏🍾

• I'm so glad I can use my desktop license on iOS. This is the way.

• Nothing has been announced yet on Modartt website. I would advise to wait a little before buying anything in case there is an intro offer that you would miss otherwise.

• This is truly a special day for iOS users. Bleeding edge Piano technology you can fit in your pocket.

• Demo Mode is standalone only. Hand pans seem to be 1 octave like the real deal. The UI reminds me of the Crudebytes Piano with piano pictures and a bunch of pull downs, a MIDI file player (that seems to only load once purchased and comes with one demo file).

An Intro Sale would make me jump. The hardest part is picking just 2 instrument packs. Steel Drums and hand pans are NOT well served on IOS. Classical guitar too. And which piano? Dark German or Jazzy Yamaha?

I guess played them from a controller will settle the debate.

• The demo mode is working for me in AUM.

Well it sounds amazing, I guess I’ll need to get a savings fund going for this

• edited May 2023

@cyberheater said:
    I'm so glad I can use my desktop license on iOS. This is the way.

yep, its like a free ios copy. can't moan about that! also its the same version practically.

• @McD said:
    Demo Mode is standalone only. Hand pans seem to be 1 octave like the real deal. The UI reminds me of the Crudebytes Piano with piano pictures and a bunch of pull downs, a MIDI file player (that seems to only load once purchased and comes with one demo file).

An Intro Sale would make me jump. The hardest part is picking just 2 instrument packs. Steel Drums and hand pans are NOT well served on IOS. Classical guitar too. And which piano? Dark German or Jazzy Yamaha?

I guess played them from a controller will settle the debate.

I think that one octave thing is just because it is the demo mode, no? Some presets have things greyed out. But there are other hang drum presets that do allow you to play a whole piano keyboard worth of range.

Interesting about demo mode only being available in standalone, quite a pity too because so many of these demo instruments are very playable as they are, though there is still the time-out thing which hobbles how much you could do with the free ones.

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    The demo mode is working for me in AUM.

Well it sounds amazing, I guess I’ll need to get a savings fund going for this

Yes, just checked, demo mode working in AUM no problem, great