Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Hello again! And New FREE App: King of FM (updated v1.1 w/ Brice Beasley Bank)

Hey everyone!
Guess who's back, rejuvenated, and eager to make an impact after a mental health break? This guy! 🏝️

There have been some changes at AudioKit, with a few colleagues opting for the conventional 9-to-5 routine. I even considered that path, but destiny presented me with the opportunity to lead the future of AudioKit's apps, and I thought, "Why not?"

So, here I am, poised to bring new apps to the world, beginning with the sequel to FM Player. Introducing King of FM, a completely free reboot:

https://audiokitpro.com/kingFM

As AI continues to grow, the traditional music app/VST market is in its twilight years. So, let's f*cking enjoy it while we still can, shall we? 🥳

From now on, you can expect me to be raw, candid, and true to myself. I've retired from the drinking game (six months sober), and quite frankly, I couldn't give a damn what people think anymore.

With that said, as long as life doesn't interfere, this fall I'll deliver the follow-up to Digital D1. If the stars align, a fresh edition of Synth One should be available by year's end (Plus, I'll lend a hand to some other AudioKit orphaned apps in need. These new apps possibly arriving this summer).

Now, while I might not be part of the daily grind on this message board, rest assured that I'll be observing from the sidelines, keeping an eye on things. I might not reply to everyone, but rest assured, your opinions will be heard and valued.

Long story short, King of FM was approved by Apple moments ago. And, will be released tomorrow (Tues) at midnight EST. Enjoy!

https://audiokitpro.com/kingFM

– Matthew

Comments

• Thanks for sharing mate. :) And thanks for making this free. Can't wait to give the app a spin.

• For those interested in learning more...Here's a little something I wrote about the SY77

THE KING OF FM: THE MIGHTY SY77

The Yamaha SY77 is a legendary synthesizer from the golden age of synths, first unleashed upon the world in 1989. This little-known synthesizer kicked some serious ass in the world of FM synthesis, earning its title as the “King of FM.”

Legendary musicians like Brian Eno, Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, Jean-Michel Jarre, and Vince Clarke couldn’t resist the allure of the SY series. They hopped on these synths and cranked out some of the most groundbreaking tunes of their time. Lost to history, it’s no exaggeration to say that the SY77 played a vital role in hundreds of artists’ musical success.

Listen, the Yamaha SY series had a hell of a run…

So, when I kicked off the King of FM project in 2020, I initially got my hands on an SY99. But it just didn’t have that raw, unfiltered magic I was looking for—it was too damn clean. I couldn’t bring myself to create an app if the tone wasn’t right, so I shelved the project for a bit.

Then, I stumbled upon an SY77, and let me tell you, it had the sound I’d been searching for. I spent the next two years sampling the hell out of it, racking up probably 10+ gigabytes of SY77 samples on my hard drive (You might say I have a sampling problem).

But I didn’t stop there. I painstakingly sifted through the samples and cherry-picked the top 100+ or so multi-sample sets—those with the most captivating character. In the end, this app boasts 2 gigs of SY77 samples, compressed into a sleek package weighing in at under 400 MB.

And now, you can have these DX7 & SY77 sounds in the palm of your hand. Free forever

– AnalogMatthew

• Great idea Matt to make the SY77 sound available to the masses - err - can we say "masses" in iOS world?
    Anyway, it looks like another great project and two thumbs up for letting a lovely beauty of the past enter your stage 😍

• Very generous - thank you Matt. Good luck with your "rebooted" life.

• Thank you for this gift to the community. Congratulations and continued success with your health.

• @AnalogMatthew Sober is good. Me too. Congrats.

• Hopefully the stability will improve as well for this reborn AK... Fingers crossed

• Good to see you back here Matt!

• edited May 2023

I think I found this post for a reason… I almost broke my drinking sobriety after 9 years the past few days due to my life falling apart at the seams. After reading this, there’s no way I can slip now.

been working on a new project and it’s 99.9% done except I wasn’t entirely happy with the sounds I chose for the last track (which was done using KQ Dixie…I normally dig it but I wasn’t entirely satisfied with the patches I used ). I’m looking forward to getting this, as now I know how to finish the album.

Wish you all the best Matthew!

• @AnalogMatthew I wish you the best of luck, and I'm looking forward to your upcoming apps. I'm enjoying your focus on vaporwave-friendly sounds. 🌴💾🌴

I would like to be more raw and candid myself, but I often find that it requires a lot of energy. There's also this strange dichotomy where music can be very emotional, but musicians tend to be sort of clinical and impersonal on the internet.

I always identified with your attempts to build hype and expand the audience of iOS music making and app development further into the mainstream. Sounds like you're building a solid foundation for that vision. I'd like to replace my 2014 Mac Mini and release some music before I get into AudioKit, but hopefully that day will come eventually.

• Good to have you back @analog_matt :)

• Congrats on the sobriety. Sober here as well and I know it’s not easy. Thanks for the post and update and for making this app free! Super excited for the SY77 sounds 🤩

• Glad to see you back in the game @analog_matt ! We all need a reboot, or at least a boot up the backside, sometimes to move us forward or give us a fresh start! Thank you for your generosity and looking forward to the rebooted apps.

• Very generous of you @analog_matt, can’t wait to make music with it tomorrow! And I’m really happy you mentioned a D1 remake, it’s still one of my favourites!

• Nice one @analog_matt , I’d love to see AR909 get the love it deserves/needs. Should’ve been my ‘go to’ for techno, but the timing just never was right, or fixed.

• Welcome back @analog_matt ! Your apps have transformed my music. Couldn’t imagine iOS without them. Stay well. ✌🏾

• Hey there, lovely people! Your kind words mean the world to me. Thank you 🙏

And, I'm not trying to be all preachy about that devil's sauce–promise! But, hey, if this little post of mine helps even one person, then opening up about myself was totally worth it.

Now, about that 909 situation–So, our head engineer dude on the project, one who left (no hard feelings, bud), was the main guy for the 909. But no worries, my friends, he's gonna move the 909 to his own app store account this summer where he'll keep updating it. He even wants to create more drum machines for all you folks. And the best part is that if you've already got the 909, you won't have to buy the app again. So, it should be a seamless transition from the user side. I'll keep everyone in the loop when the transfer time comes, like a warm and fuzzy human newsfeed.

I know you've got questions, but that's all I can share for now without stepping on any toes.
    Sending positive vibes!

King of FM comes out tonight at midnight (EST).

Now, I'm off to the dentist–Now I can say that releasing apps is like pulling teeth 😅
    (Sorry for the dad joke. It's just a routine cleaning).

• @AnalogMatthew said:
    Hey there, lovely people! Your kind words mean the world to me. Thank you 🙏

And, I'm not trying to be all preachy about that devil's sauce–promise! But, hey, if this little post of mine helps even one person, then opening up about myself was totally worth it.

Now, about that 909 situation–So, our head engineer dude on the project, one who left (no hard feelings, bud), was the main guy for the 909. But no worries, my friends, he's gonna move the 909 to his own app store account this summer where he'll keep updating it. He even wants to create more drum machines for all you folks. And the best part is that if you've already got the 909, you won't have to buy the app again. So, it should be a seamless transition from the user side. I'll keep everyone in the loop when the transfer time comes, like a warm and fuzzy human newsfeed.

I know you've got questions, but that's all I can share for now without stepping on any toes.
    Sending positive vibes!

King of FM comes out tonight at midnight (EST).

Now, I'm off to the dentist–Now I can say that releasing apps is like pulling teeth 😅
    (Sorry for the dad joke. It's just a routine cleaning).

Dad jokes are real big in my household (and our music is full of them lol )… like…. What do you call a fish with no eyes? Fsh 😂

• God bless you @AnalogMatthew
    Thanks for all your work.

• Thanks! Will try it soon.

• I’m premiering King Of FM in a few hours if you are interested in hearing great this sounds😊

• I still have my SY77, though it rarely gets played with all of the new toys I’ve been able to get as of late. However every time I turn it on, it amazes with big tones of fm and gritty, raw sampled waveforms. It is a real delight to play, but a beast to program. Very excited for Matthew’s newest release. And happy for his new found rejuvenation. Yay!

• Phenomenal! Thank you so much for your brilliant and amazing work! Anybody who knows me knows I'm an FM FREAK!

Can't wait to dig into this one!

• Love the synth One and it sounds amazing. I just wish it was AU3. I look forward to this one. Great stuff!! Thanks

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    I’m premiering King Of FM in a few hours if you are interested in hearing great this sounds😊

Sweet!

• It was the Itopia AWM2 waveform from the SY77 that made me choose the SY85 way back in time...
    ...couldn't afford the SY77 so I got the SY85 instead which had better filters (improved DSP) and cleaner effects.

What made the FM engine on the SY77 'unique' was its ability to load any AWM2 waveform as either carrier or modulator and you could also adjust the start-phases of the operator waveforms which made it possible to do proper PWM among other things :sunglasses:

I'll take this one for a spin for sure, just hoping it won't bail on me...

• @analog_matt , thanks for the info.
    Looking forward to the 909 fix. 🤞

• Just to be clear... we're talking about a rompler here still, right?

• @NeuM said:
    Just to be clear... we're talking about a rompler here still, right?

Yes…I’m not really a rompler fan BUT from watching Doug’s livestream so far I’m liking what I’m hearing