Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FL Studio worth the bother of checking out?

edited April 2023 in Desktop

So I known and used loads of software on several platforms that we can roughly categorize as DAW. To some degree, I know you don't know the software until you bother trying it. Some things I've used include Cubasis and AUD on iOS, and Ableton, Garageband, Studio One, and Repear on Mac desktop. And currently most of my DAW-lish time is on MPC hardware and MPC2 desktop.

Still, I ask, is it worth the bother to check out FL Studio? I have the generous demo on my Macbook. Is there much that is compelling and different about it? Is the workflow that much easier? Or better suited to certain types of musicians of musical goals?

Oh, the other thing is I understand FL Studio is the #1 DAW now. So I do confess some FOMO.

Any thoughts?

• Joe

Comments

• FL Studio is what I cut my production teeth on, so I definitely say it's worth it. :) It has a small learning curve as do all DAWs (it operates a little differently than your typical DAWs), but nothing egregious.

The "all plugins edition" is only $500, which is a steal for Desktop pricing. Its native plugins are top notch. Plus you get lifetime free updates, which is a massive bonus.

• Thanks! Any recommendations - tutorials, YouTubes. etc. -- on how to learn enough to fairly judge it as a good fit?

• Man, I love this forum.

• wimwim
    edited April 2023

@joegrant413 said:
    So I known and used loads of software on several platforms that we can roughly categorize as DAW. To some degree, I know you don't know the software until you bother trying it. Some things I've used include Cubasis and AUD on iOS, and Ableton, Garageband, Studio One, and Repear on Mac desktop. And currently most of my DAW-lish time is on MPC hardware and MPC2 desktop.

Still, I ask, is it worth the bother to check out FL Studio? I have the generous demo on my Macbook. Is there much that is compelling and different about it? Is the workflow that much easier? Or better suited to certain types of musicians of musical goals?

Oh, the other thing is I understand FL Studio is the #1 DAW now. So I do confess some FOMO.

Any thoughts?

• Joe

Woah, hold on a second. In case it's not clear, FL Studio Mobile is not a version of FL Studio on the desktop. If you've tried out the desktop demo of FL Studio that tells you fairly little about what the plugin is about. Unless you've actually tried the FL Studio Mobile plugin itself.

FL Studio Mobile (FLSM) is a standalone DAW that is a different creature than the full desktop FL Studio. It's designed as a cross-platform tool that one can use to create things on mobile and carry them intact into the desktop DAW, but as a plugin, not as separate DAW tracks. It does have versions of some of the basic plugins in FL Studio. It does have individual track outputs so that you can use the desktop DAW mixer. It isn't an AUv3 host. It doesn't work as an AUv3 plugin. It is (now - didn't used to be IMO) a pretty decent standalone DAW and some people really enjoy it.

Sorry for the long explanation, especially if you were already aware of the difference. It's sort of hard to describe the relation between FL Studio Desktop and FLSM.

If the FL Studio Desktop demo version lets you try out the FLSM plugin, then you should be able to focus down to that to understand if it's for you or not.

Is it worth checking out? Humm ... personally I wouldn't pay money just to check it out unless I had a known need for something that it supplies. On the other hand, it's fairly inexpensive. My time isn't worth a whole hell of a lot, so I don't factor that in. ymmv.

• While it may not influence your decision, it is worth knowing that Image Line acquired UVI and Melda in Feb so there is the potential for some of that amazing stuff to start appearing in FL.

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/image-line-flstudio-acquisition-of-uvi-and-melda.136163/

• Image Line just released a short video on putting together a song (which they call "trance" though there's a forum thread debating the genre, of course).

It shows basic construction with the Channel Rack, Mixer and Playlist. Those are the three key windows in FL Studio and knowing right off what they are and how they can work together should give you a good idea of how the beast operates.

• I’m still not sure what product this thread is about. FL Studio Desktop or Fl Studio Mobile.

• @wim said:
    I’m still not sure what product this thread is about. FL Studio Desktop or Fl Studio Mobile.

I'm assuming the Desktop version since this thread is in the "Desktop" category. :) Ymmv.

• Ahh. I always forget to check the category.

Nvm

• @wim said:
    Ahh. I always forget to check the category.

Nvm

It's all good mate. :) We all have our moments.

• @joegrant413 said:
    Thanks! Any recommendations - tutorials, YouTubes. etc. -- on how to learn enough to fairly judge it as a good fit?

@bigcatrik did link to a fascinating tutorial. I myself wouldn't know where to look since it was years since I've learned FL inside and out. (Image-Line used to sell a hardcopy manual called "The FL Studio Bible", and this is how I learned all the ins and outs.)

@joegrant413 said:
    Man, I love this forum.

You and me both, mate. :)

• Interesting about UVI. I’ve been a happy Sonic Pass user for a few months — though on pause lately. UVI libraries and instruments sound great.

• @joegrant413 said:
    Interesting about UVI. I’ve been a happy Sonic Pass user for a few months — though on pause lately. UVI libraries and instruments sound great.

They sure do mate. I'm wondering about the future of Beathawk though since I've purchased that and all of their IAPs in existence. I hope that I don't lose Beathawk, or that IL make a Beathawk 3!

• I'm not an FL Studio user, but I do recall that this vid by Benn Jordan about why he uses FL Studio was interesting: