Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[OUT!] Binarhythmic - Binary based MIDI Rhythm Generator ⚡️

Comments

• @HotStrange said:

@Kashi said:

@HotStrange said:
    This app is just so fun! I was on the beta as well and have been having a blast with it.

I agree, but like @Gavinski I'm still a bit confused (which is fine....interesting things are arising out of this confusion). Also like @Gavinski I'm more inclined to use it with synths than to make drum patterns. Care to share what you've been doing with it @HotStrange ? Any tips?

Honestly I’m still confused too I’m mostly just fidgeting with it and seeing what happens 😂 I haven’t really used it for drums yet though.

Cool :)
    Do let me know if you have any 'aha!' moments....

• ......And I don't mean figuring out the intro to "The sun always shines on TV"... :D

• @Kashi said:

@HotStrange said:

@Kashi said:

@HotStrange said:
    This app is just so fun! I was on the beta as well and have been having a blast with it.

I agree, but like @Gavinski I'm still a bit confused (which is fine....interesting things are arising out of this confusion). Also like @Gavinski I'm more inclined to use it with synths than to make drum patterns. Care to share what you've been doing with it @HotStrange ? Any tips?

Honestly I’m still confused too I’m mostly just fidgeting with it and seeing what happens 😂 I haven’t really used it for drums yet though.

Cool :)
    Do let me know if you have any 'aha!' moments....

Haha will do! I have most of the Bud sequencing apps and this one definitely has its place among them but I’m not sure it’s my favorite. A lot of exploring to do.

• edited May 2023

For sequencing drums Cem, custom scales would be very useful. Would just need to add a keyboard and let the user pick the notes. For example Ruismaker FM only uses black notes starting on a Db and then just goes up through the next 5 black keys. Most people - including myself - won’t have any clue what key / scale that is. Also, there are so many scales in the app but they’re not organized in any particularly logical way that I can see. A search bar to find the scale you want would be very helpful, in this, and all your other apps. Would that be possible?

• Of course, you van just choose chromatic and select the notes yourself, still though, a custom keyboard would be very handy.

• edited May 2023

Chromatic scale is there but is way down the list - maybe it should be the first option?

• Would also be handy if, when the multiplier goes to 8, you could just push + to go back to a multiplier of 1 instead of needing to press - seven times

• Would be great to add swing too - added to the left side like velocity etc. Also having a ‘swing variety’ slider for each note, as there is for velocity etc

• @Gavinski said:
    Would be great to add swing too - added to the left side like velocity etc. Also having a ‘swing variety’ slider for each note, as there is for velocity etc

Yes, swing would be good. I can tell that I'm going to use this app a lot - Polybud is probably my most-used app ever, but at the moment everything I make with Binarhythmic kinda goes plod plod plod plod plod plod slight variation plod plod plod slight variation plod etc etc.....

• @Pxlhg said:

@cem_olcay said:

@Pxlhg said:
    Here: completely fresh restarted AUM session. I haven’t even played it. It was sitting for a while, maybe 30 minutes, as I got a phone call. @cem_olcay

Anybody else experienced it? I really have no idea and can't reproduce it.

I did a restart of the iPad and then opened the project again. It works fine but, if I just let it sit, doing nothing and then open Binary, the grey out it back. I'll see if I can send you the AUM project somehow. But in the mean time, just try that: open a project with binary and let it sit for 30 minutes or so, not touching it. I have no clue in these matters but that might be obvious already :D

EDIT: I should mention that the project works, i.e is playable. I just can't edit the Binarhytmics.

EDIT2: Here is the AUM project, not sure how these open as I have never shared from AUM before.

@cem_olcay This sounds a bit like my issue I’ve reported with InTheory crashing after sitting for a while… a bit different in the actual symptoms, InTheory just flat out dies/crashes after a period of time…

Seems like a good clue if there’s any shared code/libraries between these two apps.

• @Pxlhg said:

@Poppadocrock said:
    @Pxlhg what does the (a) mean?

I ran the beta in AUM, a half dozen times never had a problem. I never ran more then two at a time though…

It's the latest update from the other day, got it for both Mac and iOS. Some targeted security issue and it's small. Never seen a letter either before.

Yea, it threw me for a minute. Wasn’t sure if it was something I was unaware of, or part of the OS number. Thanks for clarifying.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@Pxlhg said:

@cem_olcay said:

@Pxlhg said:
    Here: completely fresh restarted AUM session. I haven’t even played it. It was sitting for a while, maybe 30 minutes, as I got a phone call. @cem_olcay

Anybody else experienced it? I really have no idea and can't reproduce it.

I did a restart of the iPad and then opened the project again. It works fine but, if I just let it sit, doing nothing and then open Binary, the grey out it back. I'll see if I can send you the AUM project somehow. But in the mean time, just try that: open a project with binary and let it sit for 30 minutes or so, not touching it. I have no clue in these matters but that might be obvious already :D

EDIT: I should mention that the project works, i.e is playable. I just can't edit the Binarhytmics.

EDIT2: Here is the AUM project, not sure how these open as I have never shared from AUM before.

@cem_olcay This sounds a bit like my issue I’ve reported with InTheory crashing after sitting for a while… a bit different in the actual symptoms, InTheory just flat out dies/crashes after a period of time…

Seems like a good clue if there’s any shared code/libraries between these two apps.

I also noticed a binarhythmic instance dead in an aum session that had been open, not playing, for some time. Quite a few apps by different devs seem to have this issue

• Here is my walkthrough and demo for Binarhythmic

• Thanks for the vid @thesoundtestroom .

I was so excited about this app, but I have to say, I'm still not finding the inspiration. Go to 9:00 in Doug's video, and then skip to 13:09 - this is the kind of plod plod plod that I mentioned in my earlier comment....It's kinda grating. I'm ALL about hypnotic repetition a la Reich/Riley etc,...but struggling to find "flow" with Binarhythmic. Hoping others will share ideas and tips in the coming days....

• @Kashi said:
    Thanks for the vid @thesoundtestroom .

I was so excited about this app, but I have to say, I'm still not finding the inspiration. Go to 9:00 in Doug's video, and then skip to 13:09 - this is the kind of plod plod plod that I mentioned in my earlier comment....It's kinda grating. I'm ALL about hypnotic repetition a la Reich/Riley etc,...but struggling to find "flow" with Binarhythmic. Hoping others will share ideas and tips in the coming days....

Bring down the velocity completely in some of the sliders to get rests. If doing melodic stuff, stick it through something like Rozeta scaler, quantized to the same key and scale, and play the input slider on Scaler. Put everything through midi gates so you can quickly increase and decrease the note velocity on the sly.

Also, consider using it only for one or two elements - eg hi hats - and let something more traditional do the rest of the drums

• @Gavinski said:

@Kashi said:
    Thanks for the vid @thesoundtestroom .

Bring down the velocity completely in some of the sliders to get rests. If doing melodic stuff, stick it through something like Rozeta scaler, quantized to the same key and scale, and play the input slider on Scaler. Put everything through midi gates so you can quickly increase and decrease the note velocity on the sly.

Also, consider using it only for one or two elements - eg hi hats - and let something more traditional do the rest of the drums

Great, exactly the kind of tip I need. Cheers Gav. I don't do drums so it's all about melodic variation for me....

• I have absolutely no clue what I’m doing with this, but routing it to iSpark and drawing in random values for the various parameter columns makes all kinds of wonderful rhythms.

I can see myself using this to drive any drum apps that normally rely on step sequencing. So much more fun to dial in something that sounds catchy without even needing to have the faintest idea of what it’s actually doing.

Time to go read the webpage. 🤣

• New tutorial video:

• @cem_olcay said:
    New tutorial video:

This really helped me get somewhere with it.

• edited May 2023

Hello beta testers! I just released a new beta version for the Random mode! It’s a huge improvement especially for generating melodies.

TBH I designed this app for creating drum sequences but a lot more people are using it for melodies. So, I wanted to cover both use cases and designed an advanced randomiser that you can set for each individual bit.

Basically there’s two types of random notes, a min/max range, and a specific pool of notes that you can pick from. So you can create controlled randomness by picking only claps and snares for a bit and make another bit completely random.

By choosing the Random mode on the left side, you can set the chance for the randomness in a bit. Also, when you select the Random mode, a new Config button appears on the bottom toolbar which you can make the randomisation settings. The randomisation settings are also reachable from the settings menu as well.

I hope you like this new update. Please test it out and let me know about what you think.

• edited May 2023

Here’s a quick gif

• @plenogard said:
    @cem_olcay any chance of placing the + - buttons in a fixed place? It's kind of confusing to "chase" those buttons every time I add/remove steps - I don't have binarhythmic but many of your other sequencers and I'm missing this little feature.

That’s why there’s a ‘#’ button! 👍

• Was there any inspiration from the msHaxk series modules (Dronez, Winds, Alienz)?

• @plenogard said:

@cem_olcay said:

@plenogard said:
    @cem_olcay any chance of placing the + - buttons in a fixed place? It's kind of confusing to "chase" those buttons every time I add/remove steps - I don't have binarhythmic but many of your other sequencers and I'm missing this little feature.

Oh, a pop-up dialog is the opposite of flow.

In ArpBud, you don’t chase the + button, it scrolls with the steps behind. So, it’s kind of fixed in place. I’ll add that to Binarhythmic as well. Thanks for the feedback!

• edited May 2023

@plenogard said:

@cem_olcay said:

@plenogard said:

@cem_olcay said:

@plenogard said:

Oh, a pop-up dialog is the opposite of flow.

In ArpBud, you don’t chase the + button, it scrolls with the steps behind. So, it’s kind of fixed in place. I’ll add that to Binarhythmic as well. Thanks for the feedback!

Hey, thanks for taking the time to look into this. I don't quite understand. I have Arpbud and Polybud (among others) and in both the location of the + - # buttons changes as you add or remove steps. It's not a big deal but I find it odd. To me swipe (left/right) would be "natural" to add/remove steps. If that's too much of a hassle, tapping is tolerable but why not let the buttons stay in place somewhere? Much quicker, don't you think.

Ok, I updated the buttons in the new version. They are fixed on the right hand side of the screen and I think it’s better now like you said 👍

The new version will add an awesome randomiser as well, it’s coming out pretty soon!

• The new version is live! Binarhythmic has a great new randomizer now.

• Thanks for adding that @cem_olcay

• @cem_olcay said:
    The new version is live! Binarhythmic has a great new randomizer now.

Great update! Thank you 🙏

• edited May 2023

@plenogard said:

@cem_olcay said:
    The new version is live! Binarhythmic has a great new randomizer now.

I bought it as a thank you. I haven't tested the randomiser but the new placement of the add/remove steps is great. It makes a huge difference.

I hope you can update your other apps with this feature.

Oh yeah, I updated the other apps too!
    BONUS: MelodyBud is also getting the fan favorite draw mode 🎉