Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[OUT!] Binarhythmic - Binary based MIDI Rhythm Generator ⚡️

Comments

• Congratulations @cem_olcay on another brilliant and useful app!

• edited May 2023

@Pxlhg what does the (a) mean?

I ran the beta in AUM, a half dozen times never had a problem. I never ran more then two at a time though…

• @Poppadocrock said:
    @Pxlhg what does the (a) mean?

I ran the beta in AUM, a half dozen times never had a problem. I never ran more then two at a time though…

It's the latest update from the other day, got it for both Mac and iOS. Some targeted security issue and it's small. Never seen a letter either before.

• @cem_olcay said:
    @Pxlhg the beta testers never reported something like this. Here I fit 15 instances on the screen without a problem. Do you have any idea how to reproduce this?

That's tough, same with LK. It just happens some time but I do know that the number of instances is of no concern, I just happen to have three so I mentioned that. To be clear, no I don't know how to reproduce it. On the LK thread there seem to happen to folks with same screen size 10.9 - 11, but I'm not entirely sure about that either.

• @Pxlhg cant reproduce
    ipadpro m1 1tb + ipados 16.4.1(a)
    no issues with 16 instances in aum
    no issues with 16 instances in aum + binarhythmic standalone running in background - with/out ableton link -
    no issues with both aum + binarhythmic standalone running in background while 8 tracks with binarhythmic running in drambo

• @cazel said:
    @Pxlhg cant reproduce
    ipadpro m1 1tb + ipados 16.4.1(a)
    no issues with 16 instances in aum
    no issues with 16 instances in aum + binarhythmic standalone running in background - with/out ableton link -
    no issues with both aum + binarhythmic standalone running in background while 8 tracks with binarhythmic running in drambo

Alright, not sure why you target me, I'm not the dev but a user. Anyway, the number of instances has no bearing as I mentioned before. That could have saved you some time. It is a strange and quite annoying thing, when it happens, that's for sure.

• Here: completely fresh restarted AUM session. I haven’t even played it. It was sitting for a while, maybe 30 minutes, as I got a phone call. @cem_olcay

• @Pxlhg said:
    Here: completely fresh restarted AUM session. I haven’t even played it. It was sitting for a while, maybe 30 minutes, as I got a phone call. @cem_olcay

Anybody else experienced it? I really have no idea and can't reproduce it.

• edited May 2023

@cem_olcay said:

@Pxlhg said:
    Here: completely fresh restarted AUM session. I haven’t even played it. It was sitting for a while, maybe 30 minutes, as I got a phone call. @cem_olcay

Anybody else experienced it? I really have no idea and can't reproduce it.

I did a restart of the iPad and then opened the project again. It works fine but, if I just let it sit, doing nothing and then open Binary, the grey out it back. I'll see if I can send you the AUM project somehow. But in the mean time, just try that: open a project with binary and let it sit for 30 minutes or so, not touching it. I have no clue in these matters but that might be obvious already :D

EDIT: I should mention that the project works, i.e is playable. I just can't edit the Binarhytmics.

EDIT2: Here is the AUM project, not sure how these open as I have never shared from AUM before.

• 🙂 sorry I was trying to get more info to reproduce the issue thats why I tagged @Pxlhg

but no luck. hope @cem_olcay finds out

• Does this sequencer have a randomizer?

• Congrats @cem_olcay Super fun app.

• @gusgranite said:
    Does this sequencer have a randomizer?

From memory, I don't think it does, which is unusual for a Cem app. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong!

• Even though it’s deterministic, it all feels quite random to me…

• @gusgranite said:

If I remember right, it doesn't, unusual for a Cem app

• Got it triggering Nambu and getting some wonderful results,….but no actual idea what I’m doing. Looking forward to a vid to explain the various parameters. Are you planning to do that @cem_olcay ?

• @gusgranite said:

Multiplier parameter is kind of a randmizer. You can modulate it with PatternBud or ShiftBud.
    I recommend randomizing it with PatternBud per 4 or 8 bars or something.

Another huge modulator is the Logic operations, one of my favorite feature in Binarhythmic!
    You can get crazy random results with combining both multiplier and logic params.

• @Gavinski @cem_olcay thanks. It’s just one of my standard questions. 🙂

• @cem_olcay said:

@gusgranite said:

Multiplier parameter is kind of a randmizer. You can modulate it with PatternBud or ShiftBud.

Another huge modulator is the Logic operations, one of my favorite feature in Binarhythmic!
    You can get crazy random results with combining both multiplier and logic params.

True! But note randomisation within a scale would be a feature many would enjoy, no?

• @Gavinski said:

@cem_olcay said:

@gusgranite said:

True! But note randomisation within a scale would be a feature many would enjoy, no?

Yes. I’ll buy if/when it has a randomiser.

• edited May 2023

@gsm909 said:

@Gavinski said:

@cem_olcay said:

@gusgranite said:

I wish you asked those when the app was in the beta on the last 3 weeks 😂
    Sure, I can add a note randomiser.

• @cem_olcay said:

@gsm909 said:

@Gavinski said:

@cem_olcay said:

@gusgranite said:

Thanks @cem_olcay , I wasn’t on the beta, but I think everything should have a randomiser.
    If you say it’s coming then I’ll buy today 👍

• @gsm909 said:

@cem_olcay said:

@gsm909 said:

@Gavinski said:

@cem_olcay said:

@gusgranite said:

Thanks @cem_olcay , I wasn’t on the beta, but I think everything should have a randomiser.

Binarhythmic's workflow is a bit different then the other sequencers. First of all, it's not a step sequencer. On a 8-bit configuration, you have 8 MIDI outs, or 8 instruments that you can trigger.

Let's say
    1st bit -> snare
    2nd bit -> clap
    3rd bit -> kick
    4th bit -> low tom
    5th bit -> hihat
    6th bit -> closed hat
    7th bit -> high tom
    8th bit -> cowbell

And the binary number (which can be randomised) trigger the bits (or notes, or instruments).

A standard note randomizer - in my opinion - would likely mess this up. On the other hand, I can design an advanced note randomiser and let you select the possible random notes for each bit.

Then you can design something like
    1st bit -> snare or hat or kick
    2nd bit -> clap
    3rd bit -> kick
    4th bit -> low tom or high tom or hat
    5th bit -> hihat
    6th bit -> closed hat
    7th bit -> high tom or clap or kick
    8th bit -> cowbell

Of course, you can totally randomise them as well, if you want. I actually did a similar thing in MelodyBud by making the notes selectable in the note randomiser. Anyways, how does it sound?

• I understand you here Cem, as you intend it more as a drum sequencer maybe. But it can also work in very interesting ways as a melody sequencer

I would love a bit more explanation of what the multipliers actually mean, in terms of a sequence of ones and zeros

I'm also still a bit unclear about how sequence lengths are defined

@cem_olcay said:

@gsm909 said:

@cem_olcay said:

@gsm909 said:

@Gavinski said:

@cem_olcay said:

@gusgranite said:

Binarhythmic's workflow is a bit different then the other sequencers. First of all, it's not a step sequencer. On a 8-bit configuration, you have 8 MIDI outs, or 8 instruments that you can trigger.

Let's say
    1st bit -> snare
    2nd bit -> clap
    3rd bit -> kick
    4th bit -> low tom
    5th bit -> hihat
    6th bit -> closed hat
    7th bit -> high tom
    8th bit -> cowbell

And the binary number (which can be randomised) trigger the bits (or notes, or instruments).

A standard note randomizer - in my opinion - would likely mess this up. On the other hand, I can design an advanced note randomiser and let you select the possible random notes for each bit.

2nd bit -> clap
    3rd bit -> kick
    5th bit -> hihat
    6th bit -> closed hat
    8th bit -> cowbell

Of course, you can totally randomise them as well, if you want. I actually did a similar thing in MelodyBud by making the notes selectable in the note randomiser. Anyways, how does it sound?

Cheers

• Instabuy

• edited May 2023

@Gavinski said:
    I understand you here Cem, as you intend it more as a drum sequencer maybe. But it can also work in very interesting ways as a melody sequencer

I would love a bit more explanation of what the multipliers actually mean, in terms of a sequence of ones and zeros

@cem_olcay said:

@gsm909 said:

@cem_olcay said:

@gsm909 said:

@Gavinski said:

@cem_olcay said:

@gusgranite said:

Let's say
    1st bit -> snare
    2nd bit -> clap
    3rd bit -> kick
    4th bit -> low tom
    5th bit -> hihat
    6th bit -> closed hat
    7th bit -> high tom
    8th bit -> cowbell

2nd bit -> clap
    3rd bit -> kick
    5th bit -> hihat
    6th bit -> closed hat
    8th bit -> cowbell

Cheers

Yes, it's also super fun to sequence synths and pianos too! A randomiser would be very useful in those cases. I'll start to work on that and will release an update on the next week.

I avoid to use the term "step" because I don't want to confuse people. Instead, I like to use the term "sequencer cycle".
    In a step sequencer, the step increases on each sequencer cycle.
    Just like that, on each sequencer cycle, our binary number increases.
    In binary terms, 0101 become 0110.
    The multiplier modifies the counter, like:
    n + 1
    n + 2
    n + 8

The rate parameter sets the sequencer cycle speed just like on the other sequencers. Only difference is, it does not increase the "step" number, it increase the binary number, and the binary number triggers the bits.

I hope that was clear. Like I said it's a bit hard to explain app 😂

• I think I kind of understand lol... Thanks Cem. In layman's terms, the only thing to pay attention to is that the multipliers will modify which steps are silent and which play, yes? Either way, a really interesting app, probably my favourite of your releases over the past year!

@cem_olcay said:

@Gavinski said:
    I understand you here Cem, as you intend it more as a drum sequencer maybe. But it can also work in very interesting ways as a melody sequencer

@cem_olcay said:

@gsm909 said:

@cem_olcay said:

@gsm909 said:

@Gavinski said:

@cem_olcay said:

@gusgranite said:

Let's say
    1st bit -> snare
    2nd bit -> clap
    3rd bit -> kick
    4th bit -> low tom
    5th bit -> hihat
    6th bit -> closed hat
    7th bit -> high tom
    8th bit -> cowbell

2nd bit -> clap
    3rd bit -> kick
    5th bit -> hihat
    6th bit -> closed hat
    8th bit -> cowbell

Cheers

Yes, it's also super fun to sequence synths and pianos too! A randomiser would be very useful in those cases. I'll start to work on that and will release an update on the next week.

I avoid to use the term "step" because I don't want to confuse people. Instead, I like to use the term "sequencer cycle".
    In a step sequencer, the step increases on each sequencer cycle.
    Just like that, on each sequencer cycle, our binary number increases.
    In binary terms, 0101 become 0110.
    The multiplier modifies the counter, like:
    n + 1
    n + 2
    n + 8

The rate parameter sets the sequencer cycle speed just like on the other sequencers. Only difference is, it does not increase the "step" number, it increase the binary number, and the binary number triggers the bits.

I hope that was clear. Like I said it's a bit hard to explain app 😂

• This app is just so fun! I was on the beta as well and have been having a blast with it.

• @HotStrange said:
    This app is just so fun! I was on the beta as well and have been having a blast with it.

I agree, but like @Gavinski I'm still a bit confused (which is fine....interesting things are arising out of this confusion). Also like @Gavinski I'm more inclined to use it with synths than to make drum patterns. Care to share what you've been doing with it @HotStrange ? Any tips?

• @Kashi said:

@HotStrange said:
    This app is just so fun! I was on the beta as well and have been having a blast with it.

I agree, but like @Gavinski I'm still a bit confused (which is fine....interesting things are arising out of this confusion). Also like @Gavinski I'm more inclined to use it with synths than to make drum patterns. Care to share what you've been doing with it @HotStrange ? Any tips?

Honestly I’m still confused too I’m mostly just fidgeting with it and seeing what happens 😂 I haven’t really used it for drums yet though.