Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioScope: Multi channel mixer

Comments

• @Svetlovska said:
    I wish Paul well, but I won’t be getting it, as extra layers/having to set up a template etc are all too much faff and too rigid for my workflow. I bought his MIDI mixer hoping great things, and never used it for just that reason. I like to add and subtract AUM channels as I go. Fixed templates can’t handle that.

So: Is it time for me to say this again, @j_liljedahl ? :) : The IAP/upgrade/separate AU/whole new fricking app I would pay for, for AUM, or an AUM 2, (in a heartbeat, at pretty much any cost) would be a simple per channel-strip, editable automation lane for the Mute & Solo button, the fader, pan, and eq. Just that. If it can handle a selected characteristic of an AU in the lane too, (resonance on a filter, say) as currently works in AUM, that’s gravy. These are all already addressable via MIDI CCs using AUMs current functionality and something like Art Kerns MIDILFOs, so all we are talking about is some kind of dedicated, midi based, iteratively-editable automation recorder.

A functionality that pops in per channel, with the channel, as I add or delete them, creates some kind of editable timeline for the automation on just that channel (the click/draggable ‘graph’ automation of Cubasis is an obvious model), so I can create a mix ‘live-recorded’’ inside AUM, then run it, and go back and tweak and fix elements of it iteratively as many times as I want using the new automation recording feature.

Just that. And then AUM would be perfect. DAWs? We don’t need no stinking DAWs… ;)

Yep, I think of AUM as a host/mixer, but only being able to view 4 channels at any one time, and no automation means I’m having to frantically scroll around during a mix. Yes, I’ve got MIDI mixer, and I could buy this one, but it’s an extra layer and extra setup time.

Should have a zoomed out view and automation built in, then it’s already there, and setup so I don’t lose a potentially good take during a spontaneous, unplanned jam session. Not asking for a full DAW, just boosting its functionality as a mixer.

• @Svetlovska said:
    I wish Paul well, but I won’t be getting it, as extra layers/having to set up a template etc are all too much faff and too rigid for my workflow. I bought his MIDI mixer hoping great things, and never used it for just that reason. I like to add and subtract AUM channels as I go. Fixed templates can’t handle that.

So: Is it time for me to say this again, @j_liljedahl ? :) : The IAP/upgrade/separate AU/whole new fricking app I would pay for, for AUM, or an AUM 2, (in a heartbeat, at pretty much any cost) would be a simple per channel-strip, editable automation lane for the Mute & Solo button, the fader, pan, and eq. Just that. If it can handle a selected characteristic of an AU in the lane too, (resonance on a filter, say) as currently works in AUM, that’s gravy. These are all already addressable via MIDI CCs using AUMs current functionality and something like Art Kerns MIDILFOs, so all we are talking about is some kind of dedicated, midi based, iteratively-editable automation recorder.

A functionality that pops in per channel, with the channel, as I add or delete them, creates some kind of editable timeline for the automation on just that channel (the click/draggable ‘graph’ automation of Cubasis is an obvious model), so I can create a mix ‘live-recorded’’ inside AUM, then run it, and go back and tweak and fix elements of it iteratively as many times as I want using the new automation recording feature.

Just that. And then AUM would be perfect. DAWs? We don’t need no stinking DAWs… ;)

Ditto!

• Paul apps are not great ones for me as they doesn’t fit my workflow, it is my personal experience, it should be right for other guys.

• So the important settings are 3 levels deep in menu’s. As expected with a 4pockets app.

-Your sliding and drag activity increases with 500%
    -the instrument icons don’t have at least a mute button?
    -What about adding some gestures and pads attached to the objects to show/hide the fx plugins on the channels of that instrument?
    -morphing between snapshots for panning…

How is this changing any game. Apples or Oranges.
    Changing the game would mean, having full mixer control without the need to switch context to the DAW mixer itself.

But please enlighten me😎

• @tpj said:
    So the important settings are 3 levels deep in menu’s. As expected with a 4pockets app.

-Your sliding and drag activity increases with 500%
    -the instrument icons don’t have at least a mute button?
    -What about adding some gestures and pads attached to the objects to show/hide the fx plugins on the channels of that instrument?
    -morphing between snapshots for panning…

How is this changing any game. Apples or Oranges.
    Changing the game would mean, having full mixer control without the need to switch context to the DAW mixer itself.

But please enlighten me😎

I don’t see it as a game changer. Just a fun app that’s useful to have a different workflow than normal for certain things 🤷🏻‍♂️

• edited April 2023

Yikes folks.

Purchased: I find all the 4 pockets apps I own useful, and this looks great.

• it is possible to have MIDI vol control, and others, using Drambo in AUM.

this will control 16 vol channels in AUM.
    SFM Leo does some excellent tutorials that show this procedure.

• edited April 2023

AudioScope - MasterClass 1 - Setup Guide / Live Mix Mode:

AudioScope - MasterClass 2 - Snapshots + Mix Tools:

Don't forget to give Paul's videos a "thumbs up"!

• @Simon said:

Hopefully, we will get a video explaining the MiDi version.

• @RajahP said:

@Simon said:

Hopefully, we will get a video explaining the MiDi version.

I would imagine so.

Paul is very good with his video tutorials. Many of his more complex apps have 4 or 5 different videos showing all the features.

• Good point to have tutorials, when it come to iOS apps what is for many apps a pin in the ass is that dev in many case sell you something without what we can call a manual and no videos and don’t pay people who take time to do their best to help for free like @Gavinski and other doing videos.

I know the prices are low and all music iOS apps are without support garantee ?

I bought 200 usd desktop Logic Pro X and I got a wonderful support from their support team during 3 months including workshop in Brussels what a good deal no needs to pay training. No comment.

• @BerlinFx said:
    Good point to have tutorials, when it come to iOS apps what is for many apps a pin in the ass is that dev in many case sell you something without what we can call a manual and no videos and don’t pay people who take time to do their best to help for free like @Gavinski and other doing videos.

I bought 200 usd desktop Logic Pro X and I got a wonderful support from their support team during 3 months including workshop in Brussels what a good deal no needs to pay training. No comment.

Logic Pro doesn’t need to be profitable. It exists to sell hardware. Developers that need to make a profit (I.e. pay all their employees solely from the income derived from the software) can’t do what Apple does. Logic Pro is essentially a loss leader.

Btw, Apple’s dropping Logic’s price from $999 to $299 more than a decade ago, made it a lot harder for music app developers to be profitable.

• edited April 2023

@espiegel123 said:

@BerlinFx said:
    Good point to have tutorials, when it come to iOS apps what is for many apps a pin in the ass is that dev in many case sell you something without what we can call a manual and no videos and don’t pay people who take time to do their best to help for free like @Gavinski and other doing videos.

Logic Pro doesn’t need to be profitable. It exists to sell hardware. Developers that need to make a profit (I.e. pay all their employees solely from the income derived from the software) can’t do what Apple does. Logic Pro is essentially a loss leader.

Btw, Apple’s dropping Logic’s price from $999 to $299 more than a decade ago, made it a lot harder for music app developers to be profitable.

I can understand your point of view but when you do a software you need to document it even if a cheap one , in all my dev career it was a basic and do by yourselves 2 or 3 training videos doesn’t cost big money now when compared to the past. If you do a big update you can do later a short tutorial only focus on new features to complete the first video (s).

Doesn’t make sense ?

Paul do it and his alone and it isn’t pricey apps.

Of course I understand that dev cannot ( and don’t want ask for that ) offer a free support and training has Apple do for Logic at losses but a 10 page manual and a self-made-made videos should be a minimum requirement.

• We should make a wiki page for apps with quality manuals to help buyers choose products after reading documentation.

There’s a great page listing free apps for the cash strapped buyers.

• edited April 2023

@McD said:
    There’s a great page listing free apps for the cash strapped buyers.

What he said:
    https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=free_ios_apps&s[]=free

• Purchased: This is a truly painless way to implement panning and volume automations in AUM on a single screen. No flipping into and out of the menu’s to connect CC’s to Pan Nodes or connect CC’s to individual Lane Volumes which also works but requires a CC app with controls.

This uses a visual field where vertical placement of a Lane controls Volume in the mix and right-left placement controls the panning of that lane.

Then create several mix layouts and snapshots to pan between… really simple to implement and you can control the timing of the transitions from a table of time choices.

I can’t find the downside assuming you can afford the app. I’m eager to do some testing in Loopy Pro since its volume sliders are so small and tweaks this overlayed UI with automation will be really nice.

Lot’s of video training already.

• Here is my video for using AudioScope in GarageBand.
    I think this is great GB users, since they don’t have a real mixer page as such.

It can also be used in Cubasis, Loopy PRO etc.
    I hope you enjoy the video😊

• @monz0id said:

….

Yep, I think of AUM as a host/mixer, but only being able to view 4 channels at any one time, and no automation means I’m having to frantically scroll around during a mix. Yes, I’ve got MIDI mixer, and I could buy this one, but it’s an extra layer and extra setup time.

You don’t have to scroll frantically, just use the channel bookmarks. Doesn’t solve all
    the problems mentioned but it’s a facilitation.

• @Svetlovska said:

What do you mean exactly by ‘I like to add and subtract AUM channels as I go.’ ?
    You could import certain selected channels from other templates and delete channels, both as you go even during AUM is playing.

• @Polyphonix said:

@monz0id said:

….

You don’t have to scroll frantically, just use the channel bookmarks. Doesn’t solve all
    the problems mentioned but it’s a facilitation.

It doesn't solve any of them.

The whole point of a mixer is that you have all the channels laid out in front of you (or at least a reasonable number, so not 4) so you can compare the levels for each channel and record a dynamic mix without having to keep scrolling around.

The bookmark option jumps to a channel by clicking the bookmark option, then scrolling through the list of bookmarks until you find the channel you want, then clicking that to go to the selected channel. It's quicker to scroll! :D

• Any one can clarify how each instance output the mix.
    Is it possible to control what is send to the outputs of each plugin or does it output the same for all instances.
    Is It possible to output a AudioScope group to a specific instance of AudioScope?

• @monz0id said:

@Polyphonix said:

@monz0id said:

….

You don’t have to scroll frantically, just use the channel bookmarks. Doesn’t solve all the problems mentioned but it’s a facilitation.

It doesn't solve any of them.

The whole point of a mixer is that you have all the channels laid out in front of you (or at least a reasonable number, so not 4) so you can compare the levels for each channel and record a dynamic mix without having to keep scrolling around.

The bookmark option jumps to a channel by clicking the bookmark option, then scrolling through the list of bookmarks until you find the channel you want, then clicking that to go to the selected channel. It's quicker to scroll! :D

You certainly don’t need a bookmark for every single channel, only for the first one that doesn’t fit on the same page. There’s place for 8 bookmarks without the need to scroll through the list resulting in quick access to 40 channels on an 11” iPad. That’s the way I do it, it’s definitely quicker and solves at least my scrolling problem.

There’s not one reasonable number of channels, to many factors involved. Even 8 can be far to few. Being a drummer I would need 8 channels just for drums, in case of hybrid drumming even more. Anyone who needs more than 16 or 20 channels and regularly wants to get quick results without any hassle is in the wrong place with iOS anyway.

• @Polyphonix said:
    There’s not one reasonable number of channels, to many factors involved. Even 8 can be far to few.

Yeah but it’s better than 4, and you can use buses to slim things down even more. 8 would be plenty for most. The whole point in not having to scroll is that it provides better live mixing functionality as you can see and compare the channels on one screen, move several sliders at once etc. Gadget manages 8, for example.

There’s a lot of wasted space in the AUM UI, and with collapsible side panels 8 channels could be accommodated.

@Polyphonix said:
    Anyone who needs more than 16 or 20 channels and regularly wants to get quick results without any hassle is in the wrong place with iOS anyway.

It’s a mixer. I bought it for mixing, and I don’t need 20 channels, just more than the current 4!

• edited April 2023

@Polyphonix : I make my stuff very organically within a single AUM session, adding and deleting channels, MIDI generators, and busses as a piece develops, changing live channels into Tape Player loops, duplicating things, rearranging things, often recording a live mix out into AudioShare as I go. No template, not even imported channels from previous AUM sessions, usefully or more efficiently does what this free form collaging approach does. I’m not using AUM as a mixer, more like a modular synth. As I’ve said many times, all I need is for AUM to host some form of editable automation natively. Anything else is an interruption to my workflow.

• @monz0id said:

@Polyphonix said:
    There’s not one reasonable number of channels, to many factors involved. Even 8 can be far to few.

Yeah but it’s better than 4, and you can use buses to slim things down even more. 8 would be plenty for most. The whole point in not having to scroll is that it provides better live mixing functionality as you can see and compare the channels on one screen, move several sliders at once etc. Gadget manages 8, for example.

There’s a lot of wasted space in the AUM UI, and with collapsible side panels 8 channels could be accommodated.

@Polyphonix said:
    Anyone who needs more than 16 or 20 channels and regularly wants to get quick results without any hassle is in the wrong place with iOS anyway.

It’s a mixer. I bought it for mixing, and I don’t need 20 channels, just more than the current 4!

Totally agree on the wasted space of the AUM UI. An 11” iPad can host 5 channels and with some UI tweaking slimming down every channel I think 8 would fit on one page. You’re right, it’s a mixer and kind of a modular DAW. Therefore, for many, 8 channels is not the end of modularity, especially if you include effect busses. Then it just gets tight quickly. Collapsible side channels are a great idea!

• @Polyphonix said:

@monz0id said:

@Polyphonix said:

@Polyphonix said:

Totally agree on the wasted space of the AUM UI. An 11” iPad can host 5 channels and with some UI tweaking slimming down every channel I think 8 would fit on one page. You’re right, it’s a mixer and kind of a modular DAW. Therefore, for many, 8 channels is not the end of modularity, especially if you include effect busses. Then it just gets tight quickly. Collapsible side channels are a great idea!

Yep, could be done, and should be done. It’s a great, well supported app with regular updates, but this would double the number of viewable channels and significantly improve usability.

I get that it’s a host/platform for a modular based system (instruments, sequencers, fx etc.), but having to purchase additional apps to improve mixer functionality….for a mixer…is pushing it a bit for me.

The danger of course in not doing so, is a whole bunch of apps start cropping up to fill the gaps, with the potential for redundancy when/if the functionality is finally added to the mixer itself.

• I was super into this at first but the more I think about it, I’m not sure if I need it. I already have MidiMixer which does what I would want out of this app. Love the 4pockets stuff but I’ll have to pass on this for now.

• @Svetlovska said:
    @Polyphonix : I make my stuff very organically within a single AUM session, adding and deleting channels, MIDI generators, and busses as a piece develops, changing live channels into Tape Player loops, duplicating things, rearranging things, often recording a live mix out into AudioShare as I go. No template, not even imported channels from previous AUM sessions, usefully or more efficiently does what this free form collaging approach does. I’m not using AUM as a mixer, more like a modular synth. As I’ve said many times, all I need is for AUM to host some form of editable automation natively. Anything else is an interruption to my workflow.

Never got into Drambo, have you?

It’s checks all your boxes. You can host Drambo AUs in AUM if you like, and have all of your editable automation… OR just run Drambo standalone and host all of your AUs in IT.

I’m telling you, the more I’ve learned about Drambo, the less I’ve reached for AUM.